Sister Toldjah: Wise Woman of our Time

In re: the “lady” who wore a trampy outfit on the plane and now is doing a Playboy spread:

It never ceases to amaze me how some ‘modern’ women choose to ‘celebrate’ their femininity – by posing nude in the pages of Playboy magazine in desperate attempts to extend their 15 minutes of fame. The latest dingbat to bare all is Kyla Ebbert, the gal who was asked back in July by a Southwest Airlines flight attendant to ‘adjust’ her revealing attire – or leave the plane. What’s the title of the pictorial spread? “Legs in the Air.”

Oh my. How original (eye roll)…

…Seriously, what is wrong with people today? And why the hell would her boyfriend support her decision to do this? Wouldn’t a boyfriend who truly loved his significant other put his foot down over something like this? And before any uber-fems start screaming, yes, I know ultimately it’s the woman’s choice but I can tell you right now if I had a b/f, and he came over to the house and announced, “Honey, I’m going to pose in Playgirl. What do you think?” he’d get an earful, and if, in the end, he decided he was still going to go through with it, it’d be time to say adios.

There are some things that you just don’t do, and sharing your body with the world – whether it’s through pictures or sleeping around – is one of those things. This has nothing to do with prudishness and everything to do with possessing a strong sense of propriety, not to mention self-respect. Your body is your temple, and should be reserved only for the person you intend to marry or are married to.

Does all this mean ST would support a ban on smut mags? Of course not. We, thankfully, live in a free society, the Constitutional rights of which I fully support. Not only that, just because I don’t like something doesn’t mean I want to see it done away with. I’m just expressing my opposition to women who, in my view, take their freedom to express themselves to extremes. Who was it that said with freedom comes responsibility?

Now, for anyone who wants to take a stab at the good Sister: keep in mind that she’s exceptionally smart and drop-dead gorgeous. As Winston Churchill once observed, you can’t snub a beautiful woman – the snub recoils, and the woman remains beautiful.

Anyways, Sister is right – one of the things I find exceptionally tiresome is the old-fashioned, worn out notion that we need sexual liberation in order to get things right in our world. That if we would just be more free and open about our sexuality, we’d all be happier..I can’t imagine how we can get more open about it than we are now, but I can say that nothing has become more boring over the past half century than sex. Clue: when you do a thing a lot and talk about it a lot, you’ll swiftly run up against the dregs of it…such as some nitwit of a gal parlaying her horrid fashion sense into a nude spread for a magazine catering to foolish boys and dirty old men (and anyone who isn’t creeped out by Hefner these days is just plain weird, in my view).

What would have been avant garde here is if the woman had learned how to dress and started a campaign to de-ho the fashion sense of young women (and before you get started; yes, we need a campaign to de-gangsta the fashion sense of young men). That would have taken some intellect and some moral courage – dropping her drawers is something a trained monkey could do.

9 thoughts on “Sister Toldjah: Wise Woman of our Time

1. eric November 19, 2007 / 10:47 am

The Sister makes a good point and I typically agree with what you write. However, your assessment that a woman who wears a revealing outfit is a “ho” is extremely judgmental. What’s next? Are you going to call for burqas and chadris?

My wife of six years is from Brazil and she is a national level fitness competitor. Most of the time she is in workout gear: stretchy shorts or pants and a matching sports bra top. Sometimes, when we go out, she wears a mini-skirt and a small top. She works hard maintaining her physique and she should show off her hard work – if she so desires. She is not a tramp or a hoe. In fact, she comes from a devoutly Catholic family and she has her faith. Her culture, however, is not so uptight about the beauty of the human form. In the six years we have been married, I have spent about eight months in southern Brazil. Brazil is a very Catholic country, but the women are not bashful about exposing a bit of flesh. In fact, neither are the men (unfortunately, Speedos like women’s thongs are in abundance at the beach).

My point is this, an adult should be allowed to dress however he or she desires as long as they are not exposing themselves. Further, judging someone solely on the garb with which they choose to adorn themselves is a very narrow-minded approach to life and can prevent you from meeting a lot of interesting people.

2. sleepygene November 19, 2007 / 12:30 pm

why is this a topic? who cares? so what if this woman wants show her body in a magazine. she is selling what she thinks is her best asset. let the free market settle the debate. if no one wants it no one will buy it and it will try up.

3. eric November 19, 2007 / 1:10 pm

Mark,
    I do not yet have children, but I certainly would not allow my 16 year old daughter to wear a skimpy outfit. That is called good parenting.

As far as adult women, they should be free to dress as they see fit. We can agree to disagree on that point.

I see my wife as an inspiration to women – young and old. Her level of fitness is difficult to obtain and her ability to maintain that fitness in the face of numerous temptations speaks to a will power that most do not possess.

Those that react to her in a less than positive manner should be admonished – not her. They are being judgmental. She is being herself and she is not going to change.

Gene,
    If you don’t care, why post? If nobody cares, the “free market” of Mark’s blog will let this topic go quietly into the night.

4. Almiranta November 19, 2007 / 1:37 pm

I was a hot chick during the 60’s and 70’s—young, tall, red hair, and attractive. I was offered a lot of tempting offers, inclluding a job as a Playboy bunny in an era when that was a very high-status job for a cocktail waitress, which is how I was working my way through college. I was approached by the head of the Denver Playboy Club to send in photos to the magazine to kind of audition for a —wow, if I say “spread” or even “layout” in this context it sounds so — dirty.

I didn’t accept any of the offers, nor did I succumb to the peer pressure of the Haight-Ashbury hippie times to get my nose pierced or get a tattoo—though in those far-distant days women only got small, feminine, discreet tats in (usually) hidden places.

Flash forward. I met, fell in love with, and married a man I probably saw dozens of times at school. He used to stand at the same corner to wait for the same light to change to go to the same campus at the University of Colorado. And I am sure I looked at his Redford-like short hair and button-down shirt and mentally sneeered “frat rat!!” and he probably looked down his nose at my long hair and bell bottoms and thought, well, who knows what.

The best and smartest things I did in my early years were to avoid actions that would later interfere with the life I would later lead. I did a lot of stupid things, but never anything documented, much less photographed.

I was always so grateful that I never had to worry about meeting a business associate or friend of my husband’s who could remember me wiggling a cottontail or doing the ‘bunny dip’ in a low-cut costume. Not to mention seeing me in my birthday suit in some magazine, as flattering as the offer was at the time.

Life is not static, and it often leads in unexpected directions. I think that showing ‘all you got’ at one age can rebound to regrets and even lost opportunities later.

And one of the consequences of strutting around naked for all the world to see is that you will be seen as the kind of woman who struts around naked for all the world to see. If you grow up to be the kind of woman who still doesn’t care about that, no problem. But if you outgrow your youthful narcissism and want to live in a slightly more discreet mode, your past—and its pictoral proofs—can haunt you.

And like it or not, there is still a very large and significant element of society in nearly every country which judges public nudity and flaunting of uncovered genitals as trashy, at best, and/or downright whorish.

sleepygene, I am sure that when Mark and Matt decide to establish a Thread Police, you will be on their short list. Till then, no one cares what you do or do not think relevant or worthy of discussion.

5. phnx November 19, 2007 / 6:03 pm

Almiranta, what you say is all the more true in this age of the internet when text and images are stord for all to see for all posterity

6. Jay Gaultieri November 19, 2007 / 11:42 pm

People like Rev Gary Aldridge, Ted Haggard, Mark Foley, Diaper David Vitter, Larry Craig, Jeff Gannon, and Richard Curtis creep me out more than Hef ever will. And while I wouldn’t want a daughter of mine in Playboy, these Purity Balls you Bushies take your daughters to make normal people recoil in disgust.

7. Psycheout November 20, 2007 / 1:16 am

Congratulations Jay, you didn’t even address the topic. But you sure got in those liberal talking points! Are you a democrat party spambot?

8. Jay Gaultieri November 20, 2007 / 11:10 am

Psycheout, you guys wag your fingers and tut-tut the idea of an attractive adult woman in Playboy, but then you give a standing ovation to a Senator who defecates in a diaper and pays a hooker to change it.

9. Pingback: blog