You Want Fries With That Socialism?

A lot of fast food workers went out on a wildcat strike today in several American cities.  Fox News’ Niel Cavuto interviewed one of the strikers (via Gateway Pundit):

Shenita Simon: “Those that think we’re making so much money and if we follow a particular type of budget, I can’t afford to pay rent. I can’t afford to feed my children. I can’t even afford the healthcare for my husband. Things that you guys see as everyday life is luxury to me and it’s not fair… I say, why are you the companies, you the franchisees getting raises. You’re making billions and millions of dollars per year. Why can’t we barely survive? Why is it we who are employees, who work, who put in hard sweat, why can’t we survive? Why do we have to go hungry at night? Why can’t we pay rent? Eight dollars, seven twenty-five, seven fifty is not enough.

Neil Cavuto: Is it a fast-food company’s purpose and responsibility to meet pay, to keep up with the living standards of a given city? Is it really up to that organization?

Shenita Simon: It’s their responsibility. Because when they’re cutting our checks, not giving us lunch breaks, you’re not giving us benefits. When you’re doing illegal actions against us. Yes, it’s your responsibility. Because when we’re making the bare minimum, and you’re stealing from us. Of course, we can’t survive…

Indeed, you can’t – an adult with family responsibilities can’t make ends meet while working at a fast food joint at minimum wage.  Thing is, such a job is never going to be a job which can support someone with family responsibilities.  Such a job is either for a young, entry level worker just getting started in life, or for an elderly person supplementing retirement pay.

It is true that the fast food companies are making quite a lot of money – and you can bet dollars to donuts that the senior executives are rolling in pay and benefits.  But if you have ten workers at a fast food joint making $7.50 and hour and “win” your fight to increase pay to $15.00 an hour, all you’ll get is five or less workers manning the store…the other five will be replaced by automation.  No matter how you want to slice it up, flipping burgers is just not that valuable an occupation.  It is useful work.  It is work which needs to be done.  It, like all honest work, has inherent dignity.  But it is work which just about anyone can do – supply and demand; when there is a very large pool of potential workers for a particular job then there is no rational reason for high wages being paid.

Ms. Simon’s problem is not that fast food work is low paid – her problem is that she’s working there when her skill level should have long ago moved her in to a more difficult and highly paid line of work.  There are two explanations for why she hasn’t – and I don’t know which is the more prominent part in her life, and it doesn’t really matter:

1.  She’s messed up in her own life to the point where she’s stuck in a dead end, entry level job.

2.  The people who run our government – and whom she probably voted for – don’t like having a lot of jobs around which would allow someone like Ms. Simon, if she applied herself, to rise step by step up the employment ladder until she reaches a point where her wages afford a comfortable, middle class life for an adult with family responsibilities.

If Ms. Simon wanted to do something useful, she’d lead a protest demanding Obama stop blocking the Keystone pipeline…and she’d move to those areas of the country which are booming and thus have bags of blue collar jobs available for anyone who is willing to work hard and slowly move up the ladder of success.  But, she’s not in to that – either not in to challenging her liberal leaders, or not that in to investing the sweat equity necessary to move from minimum wage to middle class wage work.  She wants a free ride – no development of her skills; no challenge to her work ethic, but double the pay she’s getting now.

That is the essential pull of socialism for the lower class – a promise of getting a lot more for doing no more (or even less) than they are now.  Of course, if Ms. Simon and those like her really get their way, there won’t be fries with that socialism…not much work would get done, at all…especially as we’d all be too busy lining up for our potato rations…

UPDATE:

Some really great points have been made in the comments and now I’ll step up and defend Ms. Simon a bit. She does, indeed, have a cockeyed view of the world and if she “wins”, then all she’ll do is lose…unless, of course, she becomes an apparatchik passing out the potato rations to the rest of us (socialist revolutionaries fall in to two categories – in the upper echelons, wanna-be Lenins; in the lower ranks those who essentially aspire to be bureaucrats or policemen). But, remember, the world she lives in has not been made by her – that she lives in a world where getting a decent education is becoming increasingly difficult and finding blue collar work with a future ever rarer is because of the design – conscious or not – of the Ruling Class. That this Ruling Class is largely made up of people whom Ms. Simon votes for – and which feeds her the terminology she uses in her battle – is neither here nor there; she is living in their world, and following their script.

In New York City rent control keeps rents high; a miserably bad education system is in the iron grip of the unions which entirely control the city government; high taxes discourage new business formation; various regulations and taxes make manufacturing within the city limits difficult to do at a profit; imported illegal labor ensures that a great deal of the entry-level jobs are priced genuinely too low for a legal American to live on (illegal immigrants are commonly – and illegally and unsafely – jammed very many in to each substandard housing unit); union control of the few genuinely productive areas left (especially the port) ensures that unless you’re juiced in with the union, you ain’t getting a job there. For someone like Ms. Simon, there isn’t much of a chance – she can’t get educated (even if she goes to school – even to college; they won’t teach her), she can’t start her own business, there aren’t any decent blue collar jobs for her to get…so, she’s working at McD’s and is frustrated – and then in the final, sick irony, she’s set out in to the streets by the rhetoric of the very Ruling Class which has set up a system where she is bound to fail, unless she becomes one of their little, Stalinist tools for continued control. Have pity on the poor lady – she knows not what she does.

We have to change this – we have to get in there and start “community organizing”…explaining to the Ms. Simons that her problem is, indeed, a rich, white oppressor…but it ain’t the redneck with his rebel flag painted on his truck…its the upper class liberal with his “equality” sticker on the back of his Prius.

131 thoughts on “You Want Fries With That Socialism?

1. GMB July 30, 2013 / 1:43 am

I see a future recruit for barkys civilian defense force in the making. It’s too bad that I am diabetic, I would really like an extra large helping of freedom fries right now.

2. neocon01 July 30, 2013 / 8:29 am

AGAIN we see the class warfare, it is the eeeeevil, greeeeedy franchise, the owners, the managers…ya de ya ad nausium all against po lil me….wah wah wah!!

How much do you want to bet that NONE of these people pay federal taxes? The 47% who ride on streets, walk on sidewalks, have police and fire protection, schools, military protection etc that they PAY NOTHING TOWARDS???
    I would bet many of them smoke $10.00 a pack cigarettes, drink heavily, have doo’s, nails, cars, big screen TV’s, I phones, laptops, all while bitching they have NO money for health ins and cost of living, yet still get food stamps.
    I KNOW, being a contractor my self (and small property manager) I get to work in many of these peoples houses for their land lord’s and get to see first hand what they have and how they live.

I my self was brought up in a loving home but due to illness in my family we had NO money and struggled daily to stay afloat. I had a paper route at 12yo, mowed lawns, shoveled driveways to buy my own clothes and help my family. At 16 I was unloading box cars, in either 90 degree or 10 below weather depending what season it was. I stayed in school graduated, did a tour in the USMC and Viet Nam. After that worker in the steel mills, and brass mills. I decided I wanted better got into an apprentice ship program, attended school evenings while working heavy construction in the day for five years and was on my way to better things.

Yet I still had more to grow, at almost 30 I attended college, business mgt evenings after work (of course), and obtained a degree (2 yr) but still enough knowledge for me to form my own corporation and start my own business. which I still have today at 67 yo. I am still required to attend 16 hours a year continuing education for my licenses.
    I also worked for a fortune 10 corp where I has to attend 2-3 weeks training per year to maintain my employment there.I ran my business as a side line until I “retired” now run it full time.

My point is not to brag, or to demean others. But if I could, and was willing to accomplish this why not these people????
    LAZY, entitlement mentality, and OPM…….THATS WHY!!

• GMB July 30, 2013 / 9:27 am

Working or educating yourself for your own living is not an acceptable practice among the leftist of this country anymore. If they did that how could the gub’mint take care of them?

Big government, social justice,oppression of the “colored people” taxpayer funded abortion are here to stay until the day the left starts messing with the Second Amendment. When you see the folks start flying off to south see islands, to sip toddies, New Zealand, or where ever you will know it is time find a hill to stand on.

Just like our fathers at Lexington, Concord, and Bunker Hill did.

• Amazona July 30, 2013 / 9:54 am

neo, yours is the true American Dream–you saw opportunities to improve your way of life, you took advantage of them, you worked hard to make it happen, and now you are a successful businessman. And Shenita would say you owe her something.

I have mentioned here the conversation I had with two young men, both in their early 20s, when I was trying to convey to them the importance of having a work ethic. At some point I mentioned paying one of my employees more than others because she was worth more, and the boys were outraged. “How can anyone be worth more than anyone else?”

When I explained that employers pay according to what the employee produces, and therefore a productive employee adds to the value and profit of the company so is worth more in salary to the employer, it was the most amazing, strange, and utterly new concept they could imagine. I’m not sure if they ever got their heads wrapped around it, or believed it.

A job that anyone can do, with little or no training, is simply not worth as much as one demanding education, skill and expertise. And the Shenitas simply do not grasp this concept.

I will bet—and I know this is speculation, but still…..I will bet that Shenita does not cook for her family. This is the one thing that really stands out when I hear people complaining about not being able to get by. Aside from the tats, the elaborate fingernail “art”, the gold grills, the fancy cell phones, etc. what I see is dependence on fast food for nourishment.

When I was moving down from Wyoming we would stop in Cheyenne, or just south of the Colorado border, for something to eat. We didn’t have time to sit down and have a regular mean, and McDonald’s was usually the choice just because of location. We had a convoy of two to five trucks, with trailers, usually with livestock, so we needed the convenience, the big parking lots, etc. And it cost us about $10.00 per person, more for the bigger guys, to eat this “cheap” food.

But I can buy a chicken for about 5 dollars, broccoli for two, roast the chicken, make some rice, and have a decent wholesome meal for 4 for about the cost of one fast food meal. Leftover chicken and leftover rice makes a great fried rice dish, and boiling the carcass sets up the foundation for a good soup or some other dish later.

This is how most people live, or at least used to live, and this is what the Shenitas don’t get. It’s not just the cost, it’s the nutrition, and the establishment of the family sitting down to eat together.

• Amazona July 30, 2013 / 2:08 pm

There is something else that Shenita and too many like her never seem to consider, and that is that most big companies prefer to promote from within—-that is, they keep an eye on the burger flippers and french fry dippers and drive-though window clerks, and when someone is an exceptional flipper or dipper, that person is likely to be moved up within the ranks, to shift manager, store manager, etc.

I was was a manager for an extremely high-end, high-status, restaurant. I loved the job but hated the money, and I went looking for something else that would use my skill set. I was offered a job as regional manager for Jack In the Box, at more than twice what I was making in my prestigious job. (I decided to expand my skill set, instead, and got into insurance and estate planning, but it was a lesson I remembered.) The district manager who interviewed me said they preferred to promote from within the company but at that time no one had shown the initiative working on the line to be considered for any level of management.

WalMart prefers to promote from the ranks, so an entry-level job with WalMart can easily lead to different levels of management.

Instead of whining about what someone else ought to give her, Shenita ought to be working on how to be the best at what she does, with the right attitude, so she is tapped for the next step up the ladder.

• neocon01 July 31, 2013 / 5:04 pm

TROLL ALERT!!

meursault1942

• meursault1942 August 1, 2013 / 12:42 am

Funny you should mention the notion of working up to the managerial level, Amazona, because just last week, a study was released showing that the story you’re telling is exceptionally rare:

Front-line jobs in the fast food industry—including cooks, cashiers, delivery workers, and other nonmanagerial positions—rank among the lowest-paying occupations in the U.S. economy. In response to growing criticism, industry spokespersons have defended low wages for front-line fast food workers by arguing that these jobs serve as stepping stones to higher-paying managerial positions, as well as to opportunities to eventually own and operate a fast food franchise.

These claims, however, are not supported by the facts. Managerial positions account for only a tiny fraction of jobs in the fast food industry, and opportunities for franchise ownership are even fewer.

89 percent of all fast-food jobs are the low-wage ones–burger-flippers, cashiers, etc. Supervisors account for a mere 8.7 percent, and managerial jobs only account for 2.2 percent. There are very, very few opportunities for managerial jobs

It’s a nice story you’re trying to spin, how managerial work is “easily available,” but it’s unconnected to reality. It’s sad that you think belief trumps fact, and it’s even sadder that you have to so thoroughly insulate yourself from facts

3. neocon01 July 30, 2013 / 12:23 pm

Mark
    lets not forget there is a WHOLE bunch of obamas and holders “people” out there making millions to keep her down, charity begins at home and so does education, thought process, morals, and standards.
    It is tough when race pimps, race hustlers, race revolutionaries keep feeding the message of hate and disenfranchisement for $$$$
    We all can see the fruits of REV wright from the grifters in the white hut on down the line.

Then we can flip and see many many many successful, good, wonderful Black men and women and what they have achieved…….West, Thomas, Powell, Rice, Cain to mention only a few.
    Sorry but I have NO sympathy for those who are LOSERS by choice and blame someone else for it.

• M. Noonan July 30, 2013 / 2:27 pm

Neocon,

The family had been destroyed and poor people made dependent because that is what the left wanted – independent families don’t need liberal masters, period.

• neocon01 July 30, 2013 / 4:12 pm

Bingo
        marx 101

4. GMB July 30, 2013 / 4:50 pm

Why do the right thing? If it be work or anything else both partys are telling people they don’t have too.

All hail the rinos and their glorious visions!!!

5. 02casper July 30, 2013 / 9:28 pm

One would think you would want to raise the minimum wage so that most of the “47%” would paying federal income tax. While you see some kind of socialist, I see a young lady advocating for herself and others in improving wages and working conditions.

• Amazona July 31, 2013 / 12:31 am

What I see is someone who has never bothered to learn any valuable job skills, who is stuck with a job that is poorly paid because anyone could do it, who has chosen not to better herself but merely to force others to pay her what is now paid to people who HAVE made an effort to be more valuable employees.

She wants something for nothing. That is, she wants to be paid for a job level she does not possess.

Yeah, a web site called “Business For A Fair Minimum Wage” sounds sooooo unbiased.

• Amazona July 31, 2013 / 12:33 am

“One would think you would want to raise the minimum wage so that most of the “47%” would paying federal income tax.”

This seems to be what casper thinks is a witty, or intelligent, comment.

• M. Noonan July 31, 2013 / 1:00 am

Casper,

Such claims are nonsense – if they were true, then why don’t we raise the minimum wage to $25 an hour? If it doesn’t cause job losses, then it should be easy, right?

6. neocon01 July 31, 2013 / 9:22 am

caspy once again demonstrates WHY the public schools are such a failure, IF we raise the MM say at micky d’s what does that do to the cost of product?? Increase it proportionately. That makes micky d.s the most costly product in the industry….so you either lay people off, cut quality, or lose market share which = closing stores and laying people off.
    Ahh you say raise ALL fast food workers pay…….OK NOW everything is more expensive, so now I want a pay raise because I am a semi skilled worker and some slug making minimum wake makes as much as I do…….on and on all the way up the employment chain…..that is called inflation, so now EVERY PRODUCT is affected….BUT WAIT!! NOT those made off shore by cheaper labor……get the point?

One other thing “teach”, those on the lowest rung of the ladder making MW in a year or so are still on the lowest rung of the ladder, still stuck in a low paying MW dead end job and because the price index has been raised because of inflation they STILL PAY NO TAXES

It is economics 101, too bad you never took it before becoming a TEMP – faux “teacher”

• GMB July 31, 2013 / 9:49 am

Speaking of cutting quality, it seems that the employees along with seiu? support are threatening to do that themselves.

Do these folks seriously think that biting your own hand will get them anywhere?

• meursault1942 July 31, 2013 / 10:26 am

You started off with commentary but quickly reverted to simple insults. Contact Cluster to find a blog created to let people like you attack conservatives but this is not a forum for your insults. //Moderator

• M. Noonan July 31, 2013 / 11:37 am

Meur,

That claim of only a 68 cent increase has already been debunked – it would be a far higher increase than that. But even if it were true, you’re assuming that all other fast food joints would follow suit…that no one would try to keep prices lower to generate more sales. Also, you’re presuming that well off people make up the bulk of fast food customers…they don’t. You might think that 68 cents is a pittance, but other people (you know, the poor you liberals claim you care so much about) consider that to be make or break…its the difference between having fast food twice a week and once a week…now where does the money come from to pay for the doubled salaries?

You’re also not thinking sensibly even if you consider the fast food executives to be nothing more than a load of greedy Capitalist bastards – did they, then, forget to stay greedy? If prices could be jacked up by 68 cents per meal, why haven’t they already done so? Maybe its because they have already found the price point where sales are highest?

• 02casper July 31, 2013 / 2:49 pm

“M. Noonan Post authorJuly 31, 2013 at 11:37 am

Meur,

That claim of only a 68 cent increase has already been debunked – it would be a far higher increase than that.”

Really? How much higher? Please provide a link.

“they don’t understand that to Jose living in Fresno that extra 68 cents per meal, 20 cents per gallon and $20 charge for AC is crushing…”

Of course if Jose is making another $6 an hour he would probably be okay with that.

• neocon01 July 31, 2013 / 5:07 pm

TROLL ALERT!!

meursault1942

• neocon01 July 31, 2013 / 5:22 pm

catty
        Really? How much higher? Please provide a link.
        does EVERYTHING need a “link”….you would reject any one provided any way.

• 02casper July 31, 2013 / 6:31 pm

neocon01 July 31, 2013 at 5:22 pm
        “does EVERYTHING need a “link”
        If you are claiming something has been debunked it would certainly be nice, otherwise as far as I know you are just making it up.

“….you would reject any one provided any way.”
        Not if it were a legitimate source.

“Tell ya what faux “teach” DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH then refute it while providing us a “link”
        I do my own research and I read an article or watch a video before linking to it or responding to it.

• meursault1942 August 1, 2013 / 12:43 am

Sorry you conservatives aren’t made of tougher stuff, moderator.

• M. Noonan July 31, 2013 / 11:43 am

Neocon,

Remember, our liberals are the people who firmly believe that if you increase taxes on an activity, it won’t have any affect on that activity. Liberals tend to be in more insulated economic areas – government, education, etc – and thus don’t understand economic reality. To them, an extra 68 cents on their Big Mac is no big deal…just as an extra 20 cents tax on their gasoline is no problem, nor is it a problem to have a surcharge on their electric bill to discourage AC usage in the summer time (it helps our liberals in this that a huge number of them live in coastal areas where AC is not such a concern)…they don’t understand that to Jose living in Fresno that extra 68 cents per meal, 20 cents per gallon and $20 charge for AC is crushing…

7. neocon01 July 31, 2013 / 5:12 pm

looks like the TROLLS are already bored with Bmitches LOSER echo chamber and are trying to sneak back on here………meursault1942

• GMB July 31, 2013 / 6:46 pm

Just because you are a conservative poster does not mean you can insult and call names, // Moderator

• GMB August 2, 2013 / 10:09 am

Just who did I insult and name call?

8. neocon01 July 31, 2013 / 5:16 pm

” Because when we’re making the bare minimum,**** and you’re stealing from us****.

STEALING?????? HOW???? you know what???? IF someone was “STEALING” first id QUIT!!
    SECOND I’d SUE!!

9. bardolf2 July 31, 2013 / 5:51 pm

Neil asked “Is it a fast-food company’s purpose and responsibility to meet pay, to keep up with the living standards of a given city?”. The answer would be that it’s purpose is to make as large a profit as possible. But this answer makes Mark’s comment “Such a job is either for a young, entry level worker just getting started in life, or for an elderly person supplementing retirement pay.” ridiculous.

Such a job is not FOR any category of people. Such a job is FOR making as large a profit as possible. The job is not designed to be FOR young, entry level worker… it is designed FOR the maximum profit. A corporation has no incentive to pay someone more money unless that person can clearly impact the bottom line in a tangible enough way that the manager’s pay is itself threatened. Given the unemployment rate, there is no individual leverage a minimum wage employee can bring to get a pay increase. No enlarged skill set would be rewarded with a larger check. The only thing a McDonald’s worker can do is go on strike (which isn’t communism or socialism btw) or get a different job where fewer people have the requisite skills and hence a higher salary can be obtained.

The people who are quick to argue that as a whole, increases in the minimum wages would be absorbed into prices, are slower to acknowledge that real increases in skill sets would be absorbed into pay. SO if many obtained an increased skill set, the market would not reward that skill set, instead treating it as baseline and it would go unrewarded. College degrees are today labeled as of minimal value not only because the quality may have decreased, but principally because so many degree holders exist. To put it another way, economics tells us that If everyone could and did get an advanced degree in rocket science and if all those people looked for jobs with corporations or government, then there would be rocket scientists making minimum wage at Pizza Hut. The argument that ” she’s working there when her skill level should have long ago moved her in to a more difficult and highly paid line of work” is true only if relatively few people follow the advice.

The main option out of the dilemma for future Shenitas is an increase in vocational schooling leading to more small businesses. I think the government funding model for education should be pitched more towards these endeavors and less toward higher ed and setting up people on a track to get jobs at large government/business/corporation entities.

• GMB July 31, 2013 / 6:39 pm

” and less toward higher ed and setting up people on a track to get jobs at large government/business/corporation entities.”

But.But, but, but me my butt here, just where do you propose our future bureaucrats come from? Hatch them out from under rocks like maggots/? Oh wait, that’s where they come from now.

/switch mode
      /mode=emily_litilla.

Never mind.

/end mode

• neocon01 July 31, 2013 / 7:05 pm

Business 101…..the ONLY reason to be in business……is to turn a PROFIT for stockholders, investors, owners…… the method to do that is produce a product, service etc.
        The side effect is to produce jobs, the price one earns for those jobs is based on the skill level it takes to fill it, and the price and quantity of the product – service.

• bardolf2 August 1, 2013 / 1:45 am

First Mark with his silliness about jobs being designed FOR classes of people (instead of being designed for profit objectives) and then TiredofLibs with this tidbit “The true businesses who care about their employees will pay what their labor is worth.”

Um, no they won’t. As Neo said, they aren’t in the CARING business, they are in the profit making business. They’ll pay as little as possible over a stretch of time. One might get paid a teeny more to lower turnover, a COLA to show new hires they have a future, but that isn’t about caring, that’s about medium term profit maximization.

Again, from the employee side of the fence, they should try anything legal to leverage what position will maximize their pay including strikes, moving to a different job or whatever. It’s a free market on both sides of the payday when it’s a private employer.

10. neocon01 July 31, 2013 / 6:05 pm

Yawn…..link to truth in 15 seconds or less

Meanwhile, liberals in the left wing media, led by the HuffPo, are citing a “study” claiming that doubling the wages of McDonald’s workers would only result in a 17% price rise: “Doubling McDonald’s Salaries Would Cause Your Big Mac To Cost Just 68¢ More: Study” headlined the story by Christine Fairchild, citing a study by someone described as a “researcher at the University of Kansas.” Ms. Fairchild later had to acknowledge that author Arnobio Morelix “is registered as a undergraduate student at the university, according to University of Kansas School of Business Communications Director Austin Falley.”

A not particularly bright undergraduate, it turns out. As in laughably ignorant about the nature of the business McDonald’s is in. Tom Maguire of Just One Minute does a commendable job explaining the utter stupidity of the mistakes Morelix made in his study.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2013/07/liberals_will_believe_anything_if_you_call_it_a_study.html#ixzz2afBRS5PT

• neocon01 July 31, 2013 / 6:42 pm

FR…politico
      Rick Scott: Jesse Jackson owes Fla. an apology
      Republican Gov. Rick Scott wants an apology from the Rev. Jesse Jackson for calling Florida “the Apartheid state,” and the “Selma of our time,” according to reports.

——————————————————————————————————————
      Ans
      To: Sub-Driver

@”Rick Scott needs to apologize to George Zimmerman for sending out the dogs to try to convict him of murder.
      When Rick Scott is done apologizing to the Citizens of Florida for convening a kangaroo court to try to railroad a law abiding citizen to appease the likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, then maybe he will have the moral authority to demand an apology from them.

I agree

• GMB July 31, 2013 / 7:00 pm

“After that, he should resign in disgrace and promise the citizens of Florida that he will exile himself to the western Aleutian Islands in Alaska to get as far from Florida as he can.”

Ummmm don’t know about this. Can rinos survive in that cold of weather? Be nice to find out.

• neocon01 July 31, 2013 / 8:00 pm

yeah and we will be stuck with ole charley the tuna crisp

• watsonthethird July 31, 2013 / 7:24 pm

And there are a couple of interesting points in that article, too. Instead of raising prices by 17%, the so-called expert’s “careful and thoughtful” analysis estimates that prices of a Big Mac would rise by 26%. That’s a difference of $4.67 vs. $5.03, or 36 cents. Wow. That’s gonna break neocon’s piggy bank for sure. Working class Americans will no longer be able to afford a Big Mac and it’ll be the end of America as we know it. By the way, it’s not like the price of Big Macs has remained static. Between 2006 and 2011 the average price increased by 23%. McDonalds seems to still be in business, and in fact their annual profits have steadily increased.

The other thing your article warns us about is that raising the price of a Big Mac by even 25 cents would cause McDonalds to — gasp! — lose business. Many people will stop going to McDonalds because a Big Mac now costs five bucks. Oh, mercy! And what do you suppose McDonalds might do? They might respond by dropping the price back down a bit and absorbing the extra costs elsewhere, as in lower wages or bonuses for corporate executives, or even lower profits. But your expert thinker isn’t capable of thinking about stuff like that because it isn’t part of his agenda.

I really don’t understand why it bothers you so much that a minimum wage worker would try to increase his or her wages. You seem most bothered by the fact that you might have to pay more for a Big Mac and could care less about the workers themselves. The main thing is to make sure neocon isn’t inconvenienced.

• tiredoflibbs July 31, 2013 / 8:05 pm

Thanks watty for assuring me that only the price of Big Macs will going up!

My Whoppers are safe! Woohoo!

Too bad the menure’s study is complete BS!

• neocon01 July 31, 2013 / 8:23 pm

flap flap flap

1 Comment

slow day at the echo chamber?
        watsonthethird
        meursault1942
        NEXT? LOL

• watsonthethird July 31, 2013 / 8:11 pm

And the article you cite, tired, says:

Experts generally assume that roughly one-third of the cost of increased wages gets passed on to consumers, with much of the rest of cutting into profits, Baker said. Regardless, McDonald’s is so vast and lucrative that it could easily survive a major wage increase, Baker added.

“The idea that it’d put McDonald’s out of business, there’d be no way,” said Baker.

• neocon01 July 31, 2013 / 8:15 pm

Experts IGNORANT FOOLS generally ****assume**** that roughly one-third of the cost of increased wages gets passed on to consumers, with much of the rest of cutting into profits,

Bwaaaaaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha ….WHERE?? in Kuba??

• watsonthethird July 31, 2013 / 8:22 pm

I’m just quoting from the articles that you and tired cited. Maybe you should read the articles before touting them as the analysis of experts.

But neo, tell us, why does it bother you so much that McDonalds might pay some of their workers more? Are you threatened by them? Worried that you might have to pay more for a Big Mac? Just don’t like people who make minimum wage?

• neocon01 July 31, 2013 / 8:27 pm

you obviously didnt read or understand my earlier post,
        neocon01 July 31, 2013 at 9:22 am

try for two.

IF you still dont get it, well the old adage “IF you have to ask, you wouldn’t understand anyway”.

• tiredoflibbs July 31, 2013 / 8:54 pm

Wow, watty, I know you like to cherry-pick “facts” but your deceit is too obvious to ignore.

I like the way you completely ignore: “A doubling of wages at McDonald’s would almost certainly involve some layoffs, ” and the TITLE of the article “Errors in McDonald’s Wage Analysis”. The “study” is BS! “experts assume”? You do know what happens when you “assume” don’t you?

We go from the proggies claiming that doubling salaries would lead to a piddly 68 cent increase in Big Macs to GASP!!!! ….layoffs!

Clearly, again, you make claims that no one ever made.

“Hardly convincing that increasing the wages of the restaurant workers is going to deprive neocon of a Big Mac and lead to the ruination of McDonalds.”

But it would deprive some McDonald’s workers of their jobs….

11. neocon01 July 31, 2013 / 8:12 pm

$15.00 PH is $31125.00 a year for a full time worker, Add 7.5% tax, 1.3% tax, 7.5% workers comp. which becomes an additional $5136.00 which is now $36,260.00 salary with NO BENEFITS, raw cost to the employer.
    How many burgers would that business have to flip to pay for this kind of salary? Now lets say that $5.00 (right) lunch which generates maybe .25 cents gross profit and .05 – .10 net profit have to sell to pay for this?
    Now multiply that times 15-25 employees, but hey that is high level math for the forkers and polyTICK’s who have ZERO business background.

• tiredoflibbs July 31, 2013 / 8:55 pm

Neo, don’t confuse these mindless proggy drones with FACTS and LOGIC!

It is way over their heads.

12. neocon01 July 31, 2013 / 8:35 pm

neocon01 July 31, 2013 at 8:12 pm

OOH I almost forgot ADDITIONAL STATE TAX and STATE UE tax (unemployment for the dummies flapping in.)

• neocon01 July 31, 2013 / 9:40 pm

annnnd dont forget those pe$ky background and drug tests that run @ $200.00 per APPLICANT!!

13. dbschmidt July 31, 2013 / 8:45 pm

I really have to “love” these supposed business knowledgeable morons, aka liberals, which spout all about how a business is supposed to work but have no idea. Let us get one thing straight right up front—private businesses are in business to make a profit. Maximum profit possible.

The business owners, including franchisees, put up the money and take the risk. How many on the line at McDonalds, among others “fast food” establishments put money into the game? Did they fill out an application and offer up to pay the monthly service fee, rent, or corporate payback for any corporate help / loans? What, damn Republicans kept them from having the required $750K+ in liquidity to afford that let alone have the line of credit to keep the restaurant running and stocked.

No problem if we just doubled their wages. Well, it would have been less expensive than the infrastructure jobs crapola—you know, the “shovel ready” jobs that President Obama admitted were not so “shovel ready”—to just give every adult American somewhere between $500K and a cool million dollars (before taxes). One could even put limited restrictions on the “award” like to pay off debt, buy a new vehicle, own a house, etc. but what would the result really be? $4,000 for a loaf of bread. The beginnings of another Weimar Republic. Utopia? Just look towards all of those that make big money without earning it to realize the outcome. From sports figures like Tyson, reality show folks that get debt-free house remakes and leverage into lost or lottery winners that are all back sucking at the teat of government in short order.

I started delivering newspapers after school at 13 including having to collect money and deal with assholes. Working as a dishwasher (promoted to line cook) by 15. Working at a full service gas station at 16 plus working two or more jobs at a time so my family could make ends meet—I have little pity for those that do not ever attempt to benefit themselves but rather bitch and whine about how they are being “abused.” I would change my option the day someone fills out an application for employment and offers me a ton of cash on a monthly basis just to insure they have a place to work—until then…forgetaboutit.

• 02casper July 31, 2013 / 9:41 pm

“dbschmidt July 31, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I really have to “love” these supposed business knowledgeable morons, aka liberals, which spout all about how a business is supposed to work but have no idea.”

Once again you assume too much. I spent 14 years in retail management, managing stores with anywhere from 12 to 28 employees. I’ve also run my own business on the side for teh last 20 years. I have a pretty good idea about how businesses work.

• neocon01 July 31, 2013 / 9:53 pm

casp
        you have ZERO knowledge or credibility based on your ideas and answers, which explains why after “14 years” and a “business” you ended up as a government drone -TEMPORARY seasonal “teacher” of 12 yo kids.
        The ipitomy of the Peter principle, and I have seen hundreds come and go just like you.

• 02casper July 31, 2013 / 10:43 pm

neocon01,
        Your disdain for anybody who disagrees with you is duly noted.

• neocon01 July 31, 2013 / 10:51 pm

cappy
        No, My BS alert system goes off every time you talk.

• neocon01 July 31, 2013 / 11:09 pm

meeeeYow

sssssttttt

14. watsonthethird July 31, 2013 / 8:51 pm

dbschmidt said, “Let us get one thing straight right up front—private businesses are in business to make a profit. Maximum profit possible.”

And employees are there to make money. The maximum amount possible. Or do you think otherwise? Have you ever asked for a raise? Or do you just gladly accept whatever your employer feels like paying you?

• tiredoflibbs July 31, 2013 / 9:03 pm

Wow, watty most people who feel they are underpaid go elsewhere to a business that will pay them more for their skills and expertise. They do have options. They won’t make unreasonable demands when there is competition for their skilled labor. The true businesses who care about their employees will pay what their labor is worth. They don’t want high turn around rates.

But of course, if you are a low skilled worker your options are very limited – all they can do is whine and demand that the government force the business to pay them more for their unskilled and limited labor.

• watsonthethird July 31, 2013 / 9:07 pm

Of course low skilled workers have limited options. So let them whine. If they can get a raise out of McDonalds, then more power to ’em.

• neocon01 July 31, 2013 / 9:17 pm

Tired
        I worked for a fortune 10 company over $40.00 BILLION world wide, our division alone was a $9 BILLION a year enitity. I was a highly skilled technician but our raises were based upon the inflation index some times 4% sometimes 1.5%.
        We could advance through quintiles in our pay grade usuallu 3-4 levels, and upward mobility. However these were tied very closly to GOALS set by our management team. Usually further education, training, advanced licenses or degrees…in other words what WE could bring to the table, NOT what our pipe dream of our value was.
        demanding a 100% pay raise for doing the same job would have LAUGHABLE and most likely the loss of our job due to insanity.

• neocon01 July 31, 2013 / 9:37 pm

Tired….true story TODAY at a Firehouse sub shop………
        ME
        Hi, I will take a #6, medium, white bread, fully involved,combo, for here.

her
        hi , taps computer key reads from the screen
        ……..what do you want?

me
        #6

her…taps screen large? medium?
        me…medium

her taps screen
        white bread? or wheat?

me
        white

her taps screen fully involved?
        me..yes

her taps screen sandwich only? or combo?
        me
        combo

her taps screen here? or to go?
        me
        here.

her $9.27

me WTH?

$15.00 PH? ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!

• tiredoflibbs July 31, 2013 / 10:12 pm

Watty, there is a big difference in “getting a raise out of McDonalds”, the government arbitrarily forcing a raise on McDonalds to buy votes and support or the unions extorting money from companies while threatening the company with bankruptcy if they don’t give in to their demands (we have seen this many times before – Hostess is a great example).

You still don’t get it.

• watsonthethird July 31, 2013 / 11:16 pm

$9.27? I walked by a Jack In The Box tonight that was advertising a combo meal for $3.99. How on earth can the Firehouse stay in business? And for that matter, how on earth can McDonalds get away with charging $3.99 for just a burger. No fries, no drink. They’re falling behind the competition! Surely they’re doomed

As for $15 an hour, obviously that isn’t going to happen and all of your articles speculating about how such a wage would affect the price of a Big Mac are just idle fodder. You might as well speculate about how a wage of $100 an hour would affect the price of a Big Mac.

However, what these workers have succeeded in doing is exposing wage theft and other illegal practices by their employers, such as not paying overtime, having workers clock out before their shifts are actually complete, not paying them for all hours worked, reporting one week’s hours worked over several paychecks, and so on. Now several states have strengthened their laws in this regard. And the workers have also raised the question of what a reasonable minimum wage is in a place like New York City. The minimum wage isn’t uniform in all states, or even all counties or cities in a given state. And the workers are absolutely entitled to try to convince their elected officials to raise the minimum wage.

(Boy is the moderator going to have a lot to clean up tomorrow. Woof. Woof.)

You seem to think it is cute to leave deposits we will have to clean up later. Your “woof woof” appears to be a hint about what they will consist of and smell like. But it will only take one more post of insults to put you on the “always deleted” list.

• neocon01 July 31, 2013 / 11:32 pm

Show us PROOF of **”wage theft”** or other (unamed)** “illegal practices”** and not paying “overtime” ??
        HUH?? PART TIME workers **not paid overtime?** REALLY?? under a rock? or cave in tora bora?

punching out early??? maybe….it happens many times when work is slow on the floor and there are workers standing around, some are told to punch out and go home before their normal time, but NEVER to punch out and continue to work for free.

• neocon01 July 31, 2013 / 11:35 pm

OMG

REALLY??

• neocon01 July 31, 2013 / 11:44 pm

watty

It is called R-E-A-D-I-N-G comprehention
        as in…………..
        Meanwhile, liberals in the left wing media, led by the HuffPo, are citing a “study” claiming that *********doubling the wages*********** of McDonald’s workers would only result in a 17% price rise: *******”Doubling McDonald’s Salaries********Would Cause Your Big Mac To Cost Just

ummmmmmm that would be…..ahhhhh say – $15.00 PH

• watsonthethird July 31, 2013 / 11:47 pm

You managed a whole post without insults or attacks but it didn’t last long. Insults and attacks will lead to deleted posts. Your URL indicates your other web site. You seem obsessed with attacking this blog and those who post here. We are sorry no one reads it but few are as obsessed as you. // Moderator

• neocon01 July 31, 2013 / 11:55 pm

HUH??
        WOW REALLY??
        I need a refund for all those FEDERAL MANDATED MINIMUM WAGE POSTERS that I am required by law to post in a conspicuous place for ALL employees to read.

• neocon01 August 1, 2013 / 12:00 am

A West Village hookah lounge and restaurant
        ROTFLMAO………why not John Gottys bar and bottle club LOL X1000.

and all along I thought we were discussing McDonalds and other REAL businesses.
        Who knew we were discussing hookah shops ,strip clubs, and mafia bottle clubs……..

love the moving of the goal posts and rules on the fly…DID YOU SEE THAT?????

• neocon01 August 1, 2013 / 12:03 am

or do you think that’s only reserved for the rich and powerful?
        soo the “rich” and “powerful” set the CEO’s minimum wage through elected representatives???
        WHO KNEW??

• watsonthethird August 1, 2013 / 12:03 am

• neocon01 August 1, 2013 / 12:09 am

No watty what is being discussed is the FEDERAL MINIMUM WAGE, we all know that certain states or municipalities can exceed that, once again you prove it is useless arguing with idiots and feeding blog trolls.

see ya dork!

• meursault1942 August 1, 2013 / 12:40 am

“Boy is the moderator going to have a lot to clean up tomorrow.”

Oh, it’s already happening. Didn’t you see neocon whining for the moderator upthread? Poor guy needs his protection! The conservative arguments here have been not just challenged (itself a bannable offense), but pretty thoroughly dismantled. That certainly cannot stand.

Meanwhile, let’s ponder this fun little tidbit: The conservatives here are angrily opposed to efforts of these workers to have their jobs pay a living wage. Yet if the workers avail themselves of government aid in order to make ends meet, these same conservatives will attack them as “moochers” and welfare queens and lazy parasites. They completely devalue work, then complain when people take aid to provide what work doesn’t. Contempt for the poor is a cornerstone characteristic of contemporary conservatism.

• watsonthethird August 1, 2013 / 1:33 am

neo, a few examples of actual wage theft settlements in New York specifically pertaining to fast food business.

• Two McDonald’s restaurants in the Bronx paid $106,500 in 2012 to settle a lawsuit charging that when employees worked over 40 hours in a week the owners cut two checks: one for hours worked under 40, and the other (issued by a related corporation) for hours worked over 40. Neither check paid the legally required time-and-a-half rate.

• A Long Island KFC paid $80,000 in back wages and liquidated damages and $7,700 in civil penalties in 2009 after the U.S. Secretary of Labor brought an enforcement action charging the restaurant with willfully failing to pay overtime.

• The Solicitor of Labor recovered over $28,000 in unpaid overtime wages and obtained over $14,000 in liquidated damages in a suit against a group of Domino’s franchisees on Long Island in 2012.

• In a 2009-2010 investigation, the U.S. Department of Labor found that a McDonald’s franchisee in New York City required cashiers to count monies from the cash register before punching in and after punching out each day. The McDonald’s franchisee paid over $61,000 in back wages to 390 workers.

• neocon01 July 31, 2013 / 9:06 pm

troll

tell us fool when YOU *******APPLIED******** for a job…..ANY job did, you demand to know how much GP, NP, CEO salary, managers salary was????
      Did you tell them to shove it because YOU didnt like the ratio????? WHY NOT?? WHY travel to, apply, wait for an answer for some S#!T MW crappy job??
      you may ASK for a new yacht, and be denied, dont like QUIT and start your own business and teach them all a lesson by paying illiterate, uneducated, unmotivated slugs $50.00 an hour.
      UNTIL then get real!!

15. GMB August 1, 2013 / 12:53 am

I have to admit admit I have not the faintest of clue what a “hookah lounge” is. Is this this something that would offend my delicate sensibilities? Is it safe to do a search on?

• meursault1942 August 1, 2013 / 2:03 am

Yeah, it’s search safe. A hookah is a big, elaborate pipe used to smoke flavored tobacco. It typically has several hoses attached so multiple people can smoke at once. As you might imagine, a hookah lounge is a place where they’ve got hookahs set up for customers to use.

16. neocon01 August 1, 2013 / 7:52 am

GMB

it is also used for marijuana and hashish by drug heads.

• GMB August 2, 2013 / 2:36 am

That I am familiar with. There was one of them very close to Sheriden Kaserne where I was stationed at in Augsburg. “Der Rauch Emporium” It was called. They made no secret that the main ingredient was a bit “wacky”

To each their own.

LOLzer

17. neocon01 August 1, 2013 / 7:55 am

Three places in NYC….imagine that so now we have to raise the national MW to $15.00 PH.
    That’ll fix em damn NY’ers yeseree

• watsonthethird August 1, 2013 / 12:53 pm

It even happens in your backyard, neo.

In the span of just two-and-a-half years, more than $28 million in unpaid wages has been recovered by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division in Florida, county staff enforcing Miami-Dade’s wage theft ordinance and by advocacy groups throughout the state, according to a 2012 report from the Research Institute on Social & Economic Policy at Florida International University (FIU). But even though it’s clear that Florida has a serious wage theft problem, as of late 2011, Florida’s attorney general hadn’t taken a single civil action to enforce the state’s minimum wage law, and there is no state agency charged with enforcing wage and hour laws. Miami-Dade County leads the state in wage theft cases.

Click to access Wage-Theft_How-Millions-of-Dollars-are-Stolen-from-Floridas-Workforce_final.docx1.pdf

• M. Noonan August 1, 2013 / 2:17 pm

Pinko groups fund study by pinkos which find that pinko ideas make sense…yawn.

• watsonthethird August 1, 2013 / 2:44 pm

Of course, Mark. The New York Times reporting on settlements of wage theft cases are just lies. The Florida study is all made up. (Although, one would think that you of all people would give it a little more credit considering its 68 footnotes.)

• neocon01 August 1, 2013 / 2:58 pm

Mark

ROTFLMAO………..ALL the places listed are 99% DONK run and controlled……man you cant make this stuff up LOL
        TRILLIONS paid in wages and a couple of rip offs in DONK neighborhoods….LOL X1000

so because of that theft we now have to raise the MW to $15.00 PH…now THAT will cut down on theft eh?

Dr Michael Savage….”liberalism IS a mental disorder”

• neocon01 August 1, 2013 / 3:02 pm

the state has no need to enforce FEDERAL MINIMUM WAGE LAWS,
        jees give it a rest will ya and admit you are just waving at windmills, and stick to the topic which is RAISING the FEDERAL MINIMUM WAGE to $15.00 per hour and the effects on the economy….

18. Count d'Haricots (@Count_dHaricots) August 1, 2013 / 4:55 pm

So many things in this paragraph that scream for an answer. And so much out-of-touch with today’s economy or the meaning or func

First I can state that the positions being discussed are designed for particular individuals with particular skill-sets. The jobs are specifically modeled for the young, unskilled or semiskilled workers in search of a first job, entry level job, or training job that prepares them for advancement. A very specific profile is used when determining the amount of work each individual position must attain, and the span in which these functions are performed. Like Casper who claims to have “retail management” experience, I believe ‘dolf is viewing the burger-flippers from an archaic viewpoint in which Dick and Mac open a burger-joint, then hire local kids to work first sweeping floors, then taking orders, finally working up to the Fry-o-lator until Dick can toss the keys at Bud and say, “lock up fer me t’nite Bud, I’m takin’ Helen Crump ta tha Church Social.

After the advent of the franchise model, industrial psychologists and efficiency experts spent countless hours examining every aspect of the businesses to develop a profile of the “worker” based on the functions they are to accomplish. After massaging the functions to accommodate staff diversity (of skills not skin color for the liberals still reading this) a delineation of job functions was developed that allowed for the persons fitting the profile to work as a unit most efficiently.

When executed properly, the manager is virtually superfluous. The repetition of the functions and scope of work desired allows for a stratification of staff such that upward movement is desirable and encouraged. There should be no shortage of workers that fit the profile to supply the needs at every rung. From shift-leaders to managers and trainers, the minimum wage mill offers opportunities to unskilled and semiskilled to gain the experience and behavior necessary to succeed and earn more over time.

To design a position for a type of person, and for maximum profitability is not mutually exclusive.

Since the average time an individual can expect to make minimum wage has been less than 6 months, even a McDonald’s crew member can go from back area, to front counter, to specialty like McCafe or crew trainer in less than a year. Once crossed from crew to management, there are even more possibilities for improvement.

Anywhere along the way a person can take the skills and training and move to a more lucrative job which offers even more mobility.

Unless and until the government steps in and requires pay for the entry level positions that exceeds the equity of that position. The eventuality is that the lowest paid position becomes as expensive as the higher paid positions.

What all the progressive “studies” show is that by paying the lowest paid a higher wage in the form of a forced minimum wage, will only slightly increase costs to the consumer or slightly decrease the profit to the owner. What they fail to show is that the owners are faced with the “roll up” of wages of those employees making more than minimum wage so that those higher paid positions stay higher paid than the lowest paid entry level employees. Absent the roll up, there is no incentive to improve one’s skills, or try to achieve the next level of positions. Without that incentive, the program and the efficiencies suffer.

After all the hyperbole, ‘dolf actually arrives at a correct conclusion;, the solution is indeed vocational education, on the job training, internship/apprenticeships and for some-risk taking entrepreneurial enterprises. These would all; each and every one become more prevalent and more available were there no federally mandated minimum wage.

• neocon01 August 1, 2013 / 5:56 pm

Count

yes to a point, however the old adage you can take a horse to water but you cant make them drink still holds true.
      We see this in the last 65 yrs of AA, dumbing down of schools, giving everybody trophies, OPM endlessly, paid abortions, paid birth control, yet we have a soaring murder rate, illegitimacy rate, rampant crime and detroit like communities in every state.
      The TYPICAL know nothing lefty solution throw more OPM at the “problem”.
      When we are ALL Somalia wont we be soooo proud??

• bardolf2 August 1, 2013 / 6:06 pm

Long before the nonsensical idea of using “industrial psychologists” to “profile” potential employees, the McDonald brothers invented the “Speedee Service System”. The point was to eliminate costs like waitresses, silverware, busboys by introducing a self-serve assembly line production of food. The previous carhops/busboys/waitresses etc. were teens and as such became the first people hired into the fast food system. (see any glowing review of Kroc in the business press).

The design was always to minimize costs. The extremely basic jobs made throughput both faster and cheaper and allowed for easy replacements of workers. In fact Mark himself wrote “Such a job is … OR for an elderly person supplementing retirement pay.” showing that he understands that the jobs aren’t designed with young people in mind. The jobs are designed for minimal cognitive load which frequently coincides with young people.

” the minimum wage mill offers opportunities to unskilled and semiskilled to gain the experience and behavior necessary to succeed and earn more over time” – The Count after a few too many highballs.

I have worked as a burger flipper, short order cook, bulk mail employee, ice packager and a few other minimum wage jobs in my life. The only position that translated to experience was short order cook which allows me to make a reasonable breakfast on the weekend. Only desperadoes go to Pizza Hut hoping to work their way up to manager. For normal people those jobs are about the paycheck every two weeks. Again, I don’t think it’s McDonald’s purpose to enhance Shenika’s mad skillz. Finally, I took the association of wage mills with successful behaviors as twisted humor, see video.

• Count d'Haricots (@Count_dHaricots) August 1, 2013 / 6:52 pm

‘dolf,

I’m sure after they took all that chrome off the tailfins of the cars cruisin’ the drive-thru at Mel’s where you got your experience, some bright efficiency personnel decided to look into the specialization for maximization ideas. Each of the Minimum-wage Mills that are targeted by the leftists and anti-libertarians offer a degree flexibility and mobility for those wishing to avail themselves of these opportunities. It is a shame you were one of the faceless drones that didn’t recognize the openings. Your list appears to indicate failure along the way to learn from those around you; you should have moved in a steady line upward instead of bouncing from one dead-end of your own creation to another before finally returning to the Ivy Covered Halls in womb-like sanctuary where one can live and re-live the successes of achievement in academia where there is no competition.

I too spent time as a dishwasher before becoming a bus-boy, cook, waiter, assistant manager, manager. Sales clerk at JC Penney’s before becoming a shift leader, trainer, training manger, corporate trainer, personnel director, operations manager, general manager, director of financial Planning, Associate Vice President-Store Operations. See how it’s supposed to work? Upward; ever upward …

Along the way I trained or mentored hundreds of minimum wage employees who rose through the ranks, or left to pursue better opportunities and challenges.

The McDonald’s of which you speak is but a stone’s throw from where I’m sitting; Mac and dick are legends in this community, but so is Carroll Shelby for different reasons. Ray Kroc was a fast-talkin’ Castle Mix-master salesman, who can take credit for the franchise idea but not Speedee Service; that was all McDonald’s.

• bardolf2 August 1, 2013 / 8:44 pm

Count

I took minimum wage summer jobs to get me through university, that was their purpose and I had no reason to avail myself of advancement opportunities. The thing I learned most from the people who worked full time at Mel’s was that except for the owner, nobody was going to be supporting a family on the income, ever, no matter what skills they acquired.

As far as no competition in academia, look at the math department at your university and tell the full professor that they didn’t compete. Which one isn’t 3 standard deviations above you in mathematical ability? You might wonder why there are so few Americans in the batch. Well, while the Counters were working their way through dishwashing 004 the Stefanos were studying 50 hour weeks in real analysis 209C, as undergraduates. I’ll willing to bet that the professor who took his undergrad from Princeton and Ph.D. from MIT never worked as a shift leader at JCPenney’s. Do you see how it works in the Ivy Halls?

• Count d'Haricots (@Count_dHaricots) August 2, 2013 / 11:24 am

‘dolf,

Gee, I’m sorry; I didn’t realize you were so sensitive about your failure to compete in the real world for promotions or position. I suppose I already knew that to your type giving each other awards is the same as earning and achieving all on your own, well, good for you! You go get ‘em Sport!

Meanwhile, the rest of us go to university to get educated, then take that education and go do something with it. I too took a dishwashers job to pay for school, but the difference is before I earned the first degree, I had already worked my way up to be the manager. After that, my degree got me in the door, my talent and ability got me to Vice President.

We allowed our daughter to take a part-time job at a video store as a clerk during one summer break. Within a few weeks they had her scheduling the staff and reconciling the daily receipts. They raised her pay three times during that 2½ months and offered her a manager-in-training position. Fortunately, she wasn’t deterred from completing her education, she thanked them for the opportunity and returned to school in the fall.

Everyone (except academics) knows of the industrious soul that avails themselves of the Kmart/Wal-Mart/Target/McDonalds/Penney’s experience. The ones stuck in the bottom rungs are there by choice and have no other opportunities other than vocational training, government assistance, or teaching.

You primarily argue that the minimum wage people factories develop jobs based on the needs of the business regardless of the type of individual available to fill those positions. From experience in developing these entry level positions in the retail world, teaching these entry level positions as a corporate trainer, and writing about these individuals as an author and lecturer, I can assure you that since the 1960s the employers have looked at the work-resource pool and developed the positions to match the available workers to the functions needed to be done. The entry level positions are all based on what a typical 18-24 year old with some high school could reasonably accomplish given their nature and attention span. Then, more complex positions are developed base on business need, and are designed for those that can and do accomplish more than the entry level. The alternative, or Plan B, is the management fills all functions between entry-level and executive duties until a candidate is identified to move into the next level.

You further argue that the Shenitas of the world cannot be upwardly mobile within the organizations that offer entry-level minimum wage positions because advancing skill sets (which I assume you are referring to on the job training) cannot be rewarded because all the Shenitas are locked in to the minimum and maximum available at entry level. I can demonstrate that the escalator is constant and continual in its upward trajectory; failure to ride, even in the shot-run is Bardolf’s fault, not McDonalds’.

19. neocon01 August 1, 2013 / 5:48 pm

Count
    Exactly what the toads do not understand………

a present $15.00 PH employee is making 2X the minimum wage, if the MW goes to $15.00 PH the present worker will demand $30.00 or the SAME 2X the minimum to stay at the new standard. This repeats it’s self all the way up the economic and employment ladder, leaving the $15.00 PH individual still stuck on the lowest rung of the ladder but paying exponentially more for commodities and services.
    Brainwashed lemings with no real education or business skills fail to see that reality.

• Count d'Haricots (@Count_dHaricots) August 1, 2013 / 5:54 pm

Which is precisely why the Unions want a raise in minimum wage – According to their Logic the Union employees must make more than minimum! 2X or 3X or 4X minimum wage At Least!

Raise the minimum-raise the maximum and everything in between.

• neocon01 August 1, 2013 / 5:57 pm

cloward-piven……..collapse the system, the war won from within.

• bardolf2 August 1, 2013 / 6:25 pm

Could it be that some union employees want a raise in the minimum wage to help those working class people live a better life, without regard to their own well being?

Strange for a conservative to hold to the idea that large entities like corporations, whose defined purpose is profit making, can be sympathetic to the poor (offering opportunities and the like) but individuals in an cooperative entity like unions are merely being selfish.

Doesn’t matter, the blog is about policy and it’s clear as day that the abandonment of vocational training in favor of learning PowerPoint was/is a bad idea.

• Count d'Haricots (@Count_dHaricots) August 1, 2013 / 7:12 pm

There is nothing strange about it ‘dolf. Each in their own interest; the program of mobility/promote-ability/replacement is to the advantage of the big-heartless corporations as they have an ever expanding cadre of home-grown candidates all with internally-driven loyalties and every mother’s son has learned their craft in a way acceptable and suitable to the hive.

The Union layabouts are driven only by selfish self-regard. If ever you doubt this take a look at the unions in your industry; when was the last time the academics union offered themselves pay-cuts so their clerical union employee brothers and sisters could receive a fair increase?

When has any Union EVER offered to forego financial benefits so that another group could benefit? Just as the Regents, the Tier 1 and Tier 2 executive staffs at major universities have done over the past 10 years so that the greedy, inefficient, tenured academics can receive their pieces of silver? Just as every Executive Group in private sector has done for the Unions representing their employees have done? Union gum-chewing monkeys, jack-booted thugs and glorified organ-banks have never under any circumstances offered an altruistic endeavor.

• neocon01 August 1, 2013 / 6:18 pm

Well IF you say the absolute high pinnacle of crime reached X in year Y and todays crime is compared to that, yes it is down per population capita.

20. neocon01 August 1, 2013 / 6:43 pm

cause and effect,,…….GZ helped the statistics ten fold.

Crime and Self-Defense

* Roughly 16,272 murders were committed in the United States during 2008. Of these, about 10,886 or 67% were committed with firearms.[11]

* A 1993 nationwide survey of 4,977 households found that over the previous five years, at least 0.5% of households had members who had used a gun for defense during a situation in which they thought someone “almost certainly would have been killed” if they “had not used a gun for protection.” Applied to the U.S. population, this amounts to 162,000 such incidents per year. This figure excludes all “military service, police work, or work as a security guard.”[12]

* Based on survey data from the U.S. Department of Justice, roughly 5,340,000 violent crimes were committed in the United States during 2008. These include simple/aggravated assaults, robberies, sexual assaults, rapes, and murders.[13] [14] [15] Of these, about 436,000 or 8% were committed by offenders visibly armed with a gun.[16]

* Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18]

* A 1993 nationwide survey of 4,977 households found that over the previous five years, at least 3.5% of households had members who had used a gun “for self-protection or for the protection of property at home, work, or elsewhere.” Applied to the U.S. population, this amounts to 1,029,615 such incidents per year. This figure excludes all “military service, police work, or work as a security guard.”[19]

* A 1994 survey conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that Americans use guns to frighten away intruders who are breaking into their homes about 498,000 times per year.[20]

* A 1982 survey of male felons in 11 state prisons dispersed across the U.S. found:[21]

• 34% had been “scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim”

• 40% had decided not to commit a crime because they “knew or believed that the victim was carrying a gun”

• 69% personally knew other criminals who had been “scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim”[22]

* Click here to see why the following commonly cited statistic does not meet Just Facts’ Standards of Credibility: “In homes with guns, the homicide of a household member is almost 3 times more likely to occur than in homes without guns.”

* On October 1, 1987, Florida’s right-to-carry law became effective.[103]

* This law requires that concealed carry licensees be 21 years of age or older, have clean criminal/mental health records, and complete a firearms safety/training course.[104]

* As of July 31, 2010, Florida has issued 1,825,143 permits and has 746,430 active licensees,[105] constituting roughly 5.4% of the state’s population that is 21 years of age or older.[106]

[107]

* Since the outset of the Florida right-to-carry law, the Florida murder rate has averaged 36% lower than it was before the law took effect, while the U.S. murder rate has averaged 15% lower.[108]