From Fox News:
A New York Democratic lawmaker is behind a national push that would force gun owners to buy liability insurance or face a $10,000 fine.
The Firearm Risk Protection Act, pushed by Rep. Carolyn Maloney and seven co-sponsors, follows efforts at the state level to create the controversial new kind of insurance for gun owners.
“For too long, gun victims and society at large have borne the brunt of the costs of gun violence,” Maloney said in a written statement. “My bill would change that by shifting some of that cost back onto those who own the weapons.” …
For a liberal Democrat, this is just the best thing ever:
1. It punishes the law abiding.
2. It restricts gun ownership to those wealthy enough to afford insurance (so that Hollywood stars can still have them! Cool, huh?).
3. It opens up massive opportunities for Democrat-supporting trial lawyers to rake it in using lawsuits against gun owner insurance policies.
4. If you have to have insurance then the government needs to be sure you’ve got it – so, licensing of guns. And, hey, we gotta make sure that insurance policy is in force – so we need to renew your gun license each year!
5. It provides additional revenue streams for Big Government.
6. Once everyone is licensed, registered and insured any DA or US attorney out there looking to boost his conviction rate can troll trough the registration records to see if anyone is in violation of some obscure provision of a local, State or federal gun law or regulation. You didn’t know you were in violation because you stored your gun in the closet instead of in a federally certified gun case? That’s your problem! Pony up a guilty plea, surrender your guns (forever) and pay a $10,000 fine or go to jail for 5 years!
I could go on – and if such a provision ever becomes law, then federal and State law enforcement agencies will go on and on and on. Make absolutely no mistake about it – gun confiscation is the Democrat aim and they will keep at it and at it and at it…hoping that if they throw 100 laws and regulations against the wall that one or two of them will stick. And then they’ll throw another 100. Lather, rinse, repeat.
We must stand absolutely firm against all Democrat gun efforts because all of them have the same gun confiscation aim. Do keep in mind that in theory I am in favor of gun licensing and registration (I’m also in favor of abolishing the National Guard and re-instituting the State Militia…because that what guns are really for: to arm our militia against all enemies, foreign and domestic), but as long as these liberals are involved, I won’t go an inch down that road…because they are not honest; they don’t want reasonable regulation of guns but an end to an armed citizenry.