Trump

So the megalomaniac has finally stepped up and entered the POTUS race, something of which he has been saying he would do for quite some time and I have to say from a business standpoint, I am intrigued. I was a big Romney supporter for this same reason and that is I would like to see a successful CEO run this country like a company, not a daycare. Trump had a good line yesterday when he said that the “brand” of the US needs to be great again and I like that train of thought. This country needs to win more often in the negotiating room and on the battlefield. We need to care more about what we think about other countries and less about what they think about us. And make no mistake, Trump has been very successful negotiating with other countries and politicians through the myriad of overseas ventures he runs and other countries are very aware of where he stands and how tough he is to compete with.

I find it amusing how the MSM and progressives are bashing Trump over his ego, yet they found the same quality in Obama to be inspiring. Remember when Obama was proclaiming his election was the moment when the seas began to recede and the planet began to heal? Obama has a worse egotistical problem because his massive ego is not supported by any great accomplishment. And no – lying through your teeth to win the POTUS election is not a great achievement. Trump’s accomplishments are obvious and well known. It will also be hard to bash Trump over his wealth considering the MSM’s admiration of Bill and Hillary’s recent accumulation of wealth.

All in all, I think Trump’s entrance into the race will be interesting. He does not have to raise funds or pander to any narrow constituency. He is able to speak his mind freely, and if he offends someone or causes someone to have to go to his or her “safe space”, then I will like him even more. It’s time this country has an adult conversation about who we are, the mess we are in, and what it will take to emerge once again as a country respected and feared by the rest of the world.

13 thoughts on “Trump

1. Retired Spook June 17, 2015 / 3:35 pm

Trump is definitely going to add a new dimension to the campaign, and probably force other candidates to talk about thing that they might not otherwise. I just hope he doesn’t become another Perot and cause a repeat of 1992, because, if you’ll recall, the beneficiary of that was another Clinton. I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised that, when it becomes clear Trump isn’t going to be the GOP candidate, he’ll run as an independent.

• M. Noonan June 17, 2015 / 4:07 pm

I suppose he might – we’ll see how it comes out. Trump is not the answer to the question, but he is asking some of the right questions.

• Cluster June 17, 2015 / 6:37 pm

I don’t think Trump wins the nomination either but I do hope whoever does, has him in the inner circle and uses his experience and knowledge.

• dbschmidt June 18, 2015 / 8:31 pm

If we end up with another “Bush vs. Clinton” I have a feeling the independent party might become crowded.

• M. Noonan June 18, 2015 / 11:51 pm

Vote Christian Democrat, 2020!

2. M. Noonan June 17, 2015 / 4:05 pm

One has to be a little bit of a megalomaniac to seek the Presidency of the United States – that anyone can think they are capable of governing the most powerful nation in human history (Obama notwithstanding, we still are – we’re just acting as pathetically weak as we were in the 30’s under FDR…gee, I wonder how that worked out?) takes a bit of ego. And to be a successful President does take a great deal of acting ability – and I mean of the very sort that wins Hollywood layabouts Oscars and $10 million a film. You have to play the part; people have to perceive, at a glance, that you are “Presidential”. There is, built in, a bit of phoniness about it all – but since we haven’t found a way of discovering the most bravest and most merciful person out there who distinctly doesn’t want to be President, we’re stuck with the system of electing we’ve got.

I don’t think that Trump will be our next President. I don’t think he’ll get the nomination. But, stranger things have happened. But one thing I noted in his announcement speech was his claim that our leaders are morally corrupt – and he wasn’t just referring to Obama, Hillary and the Democrats. To be sure, such a blanket statement is a little unfair as there are some good and honorable people in government…but let’s face some facts: most of them, even when well-meaning, will use the perks of power to get themselves ahead.

I’m certain that a close examination of Donald Trump’s life will expose times when he acted in an immoral manner – of course, none of us could survive unscathed such an examination. But I don’t think Donald Trump was referring to the follies common to all of us. He was hitting on something deeper than that. The best example is Harry Reid – who came to DC rather poor and will leave it in January of 2017 exceptionally rich (if he actually leaves – he’s sold his house in Searchlight, NV and I expect he’ll settle in his true home town, DC, when he “retires” and becomes a lavishly paid lobbyist). The bottom line is that in a system ruled by honest men and women there is no way that Harry Reid can be worth all those millions he has – he hasn’t done anything to earn millions of dollars. There is no product or service we can identify that Reid sold or provided which earned him millions…and so no matter how you slice it, and even if it was all perfectly legal (and it likely was – the politicians write the laws, after all), it still shows an extensive level of corruption…a level of moral corruption which probably would have shocked the grafters of Tammany Hall back in the day.

And most of them are just like that to a greater or lesser degree – and so, too, are all those who in one way or another live high off of government. Lobbyists, lawyers, corporations, non-profit execs, higher education bureaucrats…all of them just gaming the system to get themselves well off while our country goes down the tubes.

Donald Trump might be just a little of the shake-up we need to actually see what is going on.

3. Cluster June 17, 2015 / 6:34 pm

So Lindsay Graham is entering the race. I agree with Mark that in this day and age of social media and such, winning a POTUS election requires charisma and a little showmanship and Graham fails on both fronts. I kind of like the guy but he is too meek and not a businessman. We need a CEO, a decisive, principled, visionary experienced at winning negotiations.

4. Amazona June 17, 2015 / 9:20 pm

We already have a CEO in the race, and one who is not a the slightly clownish figure Trump is, who doesn’t have any of his baggage. I see his only value as someone who can stir things up without the GOP being blamed for it, as he is so clearly not really part of the GOP. This could be a good thing, if it doesn’t result in having our legitimate candidates either smeared by association with him or turning against each other. I’m a little worried he might cannibalize the other candidates to feed his own ego.

• M. Noonan June 17, 2015 / 11:25 pm

Carly, ’16 does grow more appealing, doesn’t it? She has something about her which is attractive – and this from someone who has a deep, ingrained distrust of major corporation CEO’s.

We’ll see how it plays out.

5. Retired Spook June 18, 2015 / 7:13 am

Lots of blogs and newsletters are weighing in on Trump’s candidacy. Here’s how one newsletter I get ended their piece:

Trump is scoring high enough in the polls to be included in the first two Republican presidential debates. Both Fox News, which hosts the first debate in August, and CNN, which hosts the one in September, have said they would limit participation to the top 10 candidates in a group of national polls.

So it looks like the most politically incorrect candidate in the race will be standing behind a podium when the debates begin. Trump will probably have the most negatives of the 10 candidates. A Quinnipiac poll in March said that 51 percent of voters would definitely not vote for The Donald.

I think Eric Erickson, the editor of the Red State political blog, got it right when he said, “Donald Trump is the disrespectful candidate for people who disrespect the process. He’ll be rude. He’ll be loud. He’ll be confrontational.” And then he added, “And he won’t get the nomination.”

No, he won’t. The traits Erickson cited aren’t what the public wants in a president. But Trump will sure liven things up in the campaign.

The gloves are coming off, folks. And that’s probably a good thing.

6. Cluster June 18, 2015 / 7:50 am

Below is a question concerning wealth that CNN’s Cuomo asked one of the two women who are candidates for POTUS. Can you guess which candidate?

Now, that will be looked at one of two ways. One, the way Trump looks at it: Wow, that’s amazing……… But, to about 98 percent of the country, you represent this class that you point to yourself as a potential distraction to success in America where overwhelming wealth dominates the economic landscape for everybody else. How are you the solution and not the problem?

I am just stunned at the idiotic, juvenile hypocrisy of the left and just how low they have sunk over the past few years.

7. Amazona June 18, 2015 / 1:23 pm

OT, but….I see Pope Francis is opining again on things far outside his arena of authority. I am fine with him being the voice of Catholic THEOLOGY but I sure wish he would keep his mouth shut about his Progressive ideas and stop trying to imprint them with the concept of papal infallibility.

• Cluster June 18, 2015 / 2:29 pm

AGREED 100%. I was a little shocked actually that the Pope came out so strongly about this over hyped issue.