Economy Open Thread

As I write this (8:36 pm EDT, Sunday), the market futures have been swinging from negative to positive and back to negative.  Rumors abound – some saying the Bernanke will print up bags of free money for the banksters, others holding that the end of the Libyan civil war will lower oil prices…but, meanwhile, gold continues its skyrocket towards $1,900.00 an ounce.  So, mixed bag.  Who in heck knows what will happen tomorrow?

Given this mystery, I can’t think of anything particular compelling to write…its all so messed up and so unpredictable that if I wrote something now, then by 9 am in the east, Monday, everything I said might be nonsense.  So, an open thread…watch what happens this glorious Monday…and feel free, even, to comment about non-economic things, if that is what you’d like here.  We’re really just along for the ride, anyways…

12 thoughts on “Economy Open Thread

1. neocon1 August 22, 2011 / 8:22 am

the “economy?
    WHAT “economy” ?
    OHH you mean the TRILLIONS and TRILLIONS in debt one?

It SUCKS piven cloward a donk time tested road to nowhere but off the cliff.
    thanks hussein.

2. Green Mountain Boy August 22, 2011 / 9:27 am

“Along for the ride”? Sounding a little negative there Mark. Care to explain more?

3. Green Mountain Boy August 22, 2011 / 9:48 am

” Hey, Maybe Obama Should Stop Killing Jobs Before Wasting More Money Trying To Create Them.” Eric Cantor. Hmmm. Maybe Eric Cantor should do something about bams ability to waste money? Naw, too easy.

• Sunny August 22, 2011 / 2:37 pm

Maybe what Eric Cantor really wants is Boehner’s job. He is a joke.

• Green Mountain Boy August 22, 2011 / 2:49 pm

I recant my previous statement. I never want to agree with person again.

• Leonard L'Farte August 22, 2011 / 3:39 pm

Sunny,

To whom is “he” referring, Cantor or Boehner, and what makes him a joke in your mind?

4. dbschmidt August 22, 2011 / 2:47 pm

Maybe I could make millions with my latest idea for a T-shirt???

My “vacation” is called unemployment.

Thanks Obama

5. Diane Valencen, D.S.V.J., O.Q.H [Journ.], ArF J., M.F. August 22, 2011 / 4:27 pm

The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed up 0.68% on Monday at 10854.65.

• M.Q. Duck August 22, 2011 / 5:36 pm

YEAAAA!!!!. So?

• Dying Vaganours, ArF, Arf, S.E.E., S.P.O.T, R.U.N., August 22, 2011 / 5:55 pm

And the Dow Jones Industrial Average is all there is to an economy!

As an added bonus, the Dow is only down 14.7% in the past month! WOW, that’s the “BAD LUCK part Obama told us to repeat endlessly until the election,

(10,854.65 is ,i>0.34%)

6. bozo August 23, 2011 / 5:49 am

Sharma [president of S&P], 55, is set to step down on 12 September and will be replaced by Douglas Peterson, 53, currently the chief operating officer of Citibank, the banking unit of Citigroup.

So the rating agency responsible for rating Citibank will be run by Citibank’s COO?

You guys know we can see you, right?