VP Debate – Open Thread

This ought to be a fun night. Ryan is a smart, young politician who represents the future of conservatism. Biden is old, not so bright politician who represents the past of failed liberal policies. The Democrats must be cringing tonight knowing that their hopes of a rebound in the polls rests on Biden’s shoulders.

78 thoughts on “VP Debate – Open Thread

1. bozo October 12, 2012 / 12:53 am

Good to hear Ryan champion redistribution, advocating the government paying less to rich elderly medicare coverage, more to middle income, and total coverage for the poor and sick. At least that’s what he says.

• GMB October 12, 2012 / 1:17 am

So bozo, what do you think about ole slow joe flat out lying about his votes for the Afghani and Iraqi wars? Got to be pretty damn cheeky to lie like that on national tv don’t ya?

• Retired Spook October 12, 2012 / 9:41 am

At least that’s what he says.

I think it’s just a recognition of reality, something that the Left is still in complete denial on. Actually, the Left is kinda caught between a rock and a hard place on the entitlement issue. If they admit that entitlements across the board need to be fixed, then they also admit that their ideas were unsustainable to begin with. That’s the difference between pragmatists like Tip O’Neil back in the 80’s and the ideologues we have today. The modern Progressive is so in love with having divisive issues to campaign on that they’ve completely lost touch with the fact that they were elected to solve problems.

• Amazona October 12, 2012 / 10:27 am

Hey, Ryan’s not the only one who’s all about redistribution. Now that the panicky RRL have redefined it as any transaction, I plan to redistribute several times a day.

I need gas, and some new gates, and I might even go out to lunch. Yep, it’s a redistributive day.

Right now I am going to go redistribute food to my dogs, and I believe doing laundry is a form of redistribution, as I will be redistributing detergent into the machine and gray water into the septic system.

At lunch we will probably have a giggle about how clueless the RRL are, unaware as they are of the TRUE redistributive agenda of Romney and Ryan—that is, to redistribute more money than ever before, in the form of wages and salaries, to people so over time our population will be better able to provide for their own health care and retirement, requiring less redistribution of OPM.

Sneaky bastids……..

• Amazona October 12, 2012 / 10:30 am

Spook, you have nailed it:

“The modern Progressive is so in love with having divisive issues to campaign on that they’ve completely lost touch with the fact that they were elected to solve problems.”

I also think that the modern Progressive sees only one real problem, and that is conservatism.

Not that they UNDERSTAND conservatism, but the cartoon invention is, to them, the source of all problems.

2. bozo October 12, 2012 / 12:55 am

Random placement gnomes strike again. I blame Al Gore since he built the internet.

• GMB October 12, 2012 / 1:09 am

Blame who you want to blame. Nobody cares. Harsh truth there bozo but I am sure you are used to it by now.

Cheers.

Free the trolls!!!

• neocon1 October 12, 2012 / 1:14 pm

blowzo

and gave a voice to Klowns like you. Thanks al

3. Count d'Haricots October 12, 2012 / 11:30 am

Just as the debate started my cable went out. The storm knocked out the TV and phone lines, the DSL and the power for a moment.

My wife had the tablet so I was reduced to watching the debate on my smartphone.

It was what I expected;

Biden animated unshackled by facts and claiming anything he wanted in support of his positions. (He reminded me of Gary Owens on Laugh-In rolling off absurd contentions with all the certitude of a certifiable lunatic. His function was to demonstrate the “passion” Obama lacked to fire up the base again. He succeeded.

Ryan was wonkish; loaded to the gunnels with information and trying to work his skull full of facts into the debate; sometimes successfully, sometimes not. His job was to look competent and do no damage. He succeeded.

Biden was rude.

Ryan was polite.

Biden got in his poll tested one-liners.

Ryan did as well.

On debate points with the benefit of that small (5″) screen the full effect of Biden’s histrionics were not evident. I scored the debate in Biden’s favor.

Later, watching highlights on the bigger screen when my TV came back I saw the Chaplinesque animation of the Veep. For added entertainment value, I replayed portions with no sound and all Biden needed was a toothbrush mustache and a bowler, pancake makeup twirling a bamboo cane. He’s a really bad actor, but the dispirited left needed thespian exuberance and over-acting to convince them that all is not yet lost.

After viewing the melodramatic performance, I scored the debate in Ryan’s favor.

4. Count d'Haricots October 12, 2012 / 11:33 am

Random placement sux! Where will this post wind up? Could be a new game; since I missed the “47%” drinking game last night.

5. J. R. Babcock October 12, 2012 / 12:18 pm

Glen Beck made a great point this morning that flew right past me last night during the debate. Ryan asked Biden if he knew what the unemployment rate was in Biden’s home town of Scranton, PA. Biden said he did, but instead of asking Biden, “what is it?”, Ryan answered his own question: it’s 10%. There’s a better than 50/50 chance that Biden didn’t have a clue what the unemployment rate in his home town is, and Ryan missed a golden opportunity to make Biden look like the buffoon (I love that word too) he is.

• Count d'Haricots October 12, 2012 / 12:36 pm

JR,
      A calculated risk I don’t think Ryan wanted to take was giving Biden a chance to filibuster. Debate technique; ask a question then answer it yourself not allowing the opponent the opportunity to hijack your point.

Ryan: Do you know what the unemployment is in Scranton?
      Biden: (laugh) Yes, it’s unacceptable … it’s unacceptable … Unemployment is unacceptable everywhere that’s why this President has (laugh)
      Ryan: it’s ten … it’s ten … percent … it’s … ten percent …
      Biden: …(laugh) Hooey bla bla 47% bla bla five trillion bla bla bla middle class…..
      Ryan: do you know what it was …
      Biden:(Smirk) (laugh) these guys caused bla bla bla

• tiredoflibbs October 12, 2012 / 1:31 pm

Count,

Biden sounded like the typical lefty mindless drone in that segment – several examples of which troll around this blog.

• Count d'Haricots October 12, 2012 / 2:22 pm

Tired ‘o Flibbs,

As Algore said, We all know the leopard can’t change his stripes.

Biden is a lefty talking point. A dumbed down mindless drone talking point.

• neocon1 October 12, 2012 / 1:13 pm

JR

actually after he asked biteme what it was then told him it was 10+% he also stated it was UNDER 8% when the regime took over.

• Amazona October 13, 2012 / 10:05 am

The last time the Dem offices in Denver were attacked, it turned out to be a Dem operative trying to make the Republicans look bad.

So let’s just see how this one shakes out, shall we?