Veteran’s Day Open Thread

Take a few moments out of your day and remember them.  Bunker Hill.  Yorktown.  Lake Erie.  New Orleans.  Shilo.  Gettysburg.  St. Mihel.  Bataan.  Normandy.  Leyte Gulf.  Bastonge.  Naktong River.  Pleiku.  Khe Sanh.  Al Busayyah.  Fallujah.

We send men – and now, women – out to battle for us.  It is not for them to question policy – that is made by civilians.  They just have to do the bleeding and the dying for it.  Doesn’t matter what you think about the policies which sent them out – take a moment to remember them and honor them.

9 thoughts on “Veteran’s Day Open Thread

1. bozo November 11, 2012 / 7:42 am

First, happy birthday to the U.S. Marines (Nov 10).

Second, I just spent the day greeting and listening to stories, jokes and fears of veterans in my local VA hospital, including on 92 year-old WWII vet who was hysterical even in the face of a serious medical procedure he faces Monday morning.

These heroes blew my mind. The courage and grace against bad odds was humbling to say the least.

The event was sponsored by The Fisher House Foundation. Google it. Support it. These men and women and the families they love need you. Now. You owe them a debt of gratitude that your cash cannot retire.

Happy Veterans Day to the left, right and center. Our vets are the reason we can argue like the doofuses we sometimes are (at least I can speak for myself).

• Retired Spook November 11, 2012 / 10:18 am

I never made it into battle, although I served through almost the entire Vietnam War. There just weren’t a lot of navy signals intelligence types in theater in Vietnam, and the couple I knew were shot at but didn’t do any shooting back. There were two reasons I served for 24 years: I loved what I did, and I knew I was doing my small part to protect the freedoms that so many take for granted. My dad was a WW2 vet, and I know he felt the same way.

God bless all our veterans.

• thetruthshallsetyoufree2012 November 11, 2012 / 2:20 pm

“The event was sponsored by The Fisher House Foundation. Google it. Support it.”

Thanks for that recommendation. Does anybody have any other veteran-focused charities they like to support? I’ve supported the Wounded Warrior Project for a while, but it never hurts to expand your horizons when it comes to this.

• GMB November 11, 2012 / 2:22 pm

The DAV is always a good choice. They do good work and are often there to help when no others will.

2. GMB November 11, 2012 / 9:29 am

The only thing that ever really comes to mind when the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month comes around every year.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

If you do not know who wrote this, nuff said.

• neocon01 November 11, 2012 / 11:36 am

Thanks Blowzo

Mark, Spook, GMB, DB, and all other vets Happy Veterans day!!

Ooh Rah
      Semper Fi….Do or Die!!

RVN Dec 1966- Jan 1968, Da Nang, Phubai, Hue, Dong Ha, Rock pile, Khe Sanh………

• dbschmidt November 12, 2012 / 12:29 am

Neo,

Thank you for your service. Keep your head down as the onslaught will be with us soon. Keep the Reagan up and never surrender. You, I and many others understand. To each their own. Semper Fi.

BTW. NSTK.

3. dbschmidt November 11, 2012 / 3:43 pm

Thanks to all those who have, are and those that will in the future.

One from the great one–Ronald Reagan

• neocon01 November 12, 2012 / 11:13 am

DB

what a great man……it is unbelievable the piece of garbage that is a stain on our heritage now lives in the white hut.