Isn’t It Against the Law to Kill an Eagle?

If one (except a Native American) possesses an eagle feather, it is a federal offense.  If one, kills an eagle – even accidentally – one faces jail time.

Who will face jail time for this? No one…. when leftist policies kill people the left looks the other way.  Just another example of “the path to hell is paved with good intentions”.

I am sure eagle deaths are more numerous than what is in the study.  My understanding is that the study relies on the REPORTING of eagle deaths and not an actual count.

Will the left protest the wind farms for killing animals?  Or, will they look the other way, since it is America’s icon (and the proggy push is to shame this country) and they feel it is a small price to pay for green energy instead of “enriching big oil”.

30 thoughts on “Isn’t It Against the Law to Kill an Eagle?

1. Retired Spook September 21, 2013 / 10:50 am

I’d bet the average Lefty has never seen an eagle and, if they have, they relate to it as the symbol of the evil United States of America. If it were big and yellow with a funny beak and long legs, you can bet they’d be in an uproar.

2. Amazona September 21, 2013 / 11:10 am

In Wyoming, my favorite fishing spot was next to a cottonwood tree that was the perch for a huge bald eagle that also liked that spot. Nearly every day I would find another eagle feather on the ground, and I would put it in my fishing hat for the day. However, this was illegal. To even pick up an eagle feather off the ground is to break the law.

When I worked with the game warden to save the life of that eagle when she got shot, I asked just how picky they would have been if they had seen me with an eagle feather in my hat and he said just to be sure to leave it at the river when I went home and not take it with me.

After I got to perform a veterinary procedure on the eagle, at the request of the game wardens, they left her in a large carrier for me to take to a rehab center the next day, if she survived the night. (She did.) I ran down the driveway after them because something had occurred to me—-if I was going to be arrested for having a discarded eagle feather in my hat, what would happen to me if I had a whole, live, eagle riding in the bed of my pickup? (I got a note from my local game warden on the back of his card, a get out of jail free card I guess.)

The moral of this story is, the law is really really stringent—until it isn’t.

Someone who would go to the lengths I went to, to save the life of an eagle, could have been prosecuted for picking up a discarded feather, on her own property. But killing eagles by the dozens or even hundreds, in the pursuit of a beloved Lefty concept—that is completely different.

And we can compare the Leftist outrage at the deaths of eagles and other birds at wind farms with their hysteria at the possibility of some wildlife being inconvenienced by oil and gas drilling. This was a big concern for the hair-on-fire groups when they wanted to stop drilling on the Roan Plateau in northwestern Colorado, yet once drilling was done whole herds of deer were seen wandering around the area, crossing the drilling pads, following the roads, and ignoring the workers as long as the workers ignored them.

The Alaska pipeline has become a rest area for caribou, radiating heat and providing a great area for hanging out and making baby caribou. But we were told it would destroy the wildlife, just as we are told drilling in ANWR will destroy wildlife, blahblahblahblahblah.

Yet nary a peep about 60-foot-long blades slicing birds into pieces.

3. Count d'Haricots (@Count_dHaricots) September 21, 2013 / 1:09 pm

Intentionally killing a bald eagle is ill-eagle. Other eagles not so much.

Sorry, but if every reasonable effort is expended in preventing these Falconiformes from certain death for death awaits them all with nasty, big, pointy teeth … uh … propellers of death, then my vote would be Caveat Haliaeetus!

The Bald Eagle is not endangered species so until they are, if the stupid raptors can’t keep their lice-ridden heads out of the swirling blades of progress I say requiescat in pace fair Accipitridae, and all your kin if needs be.

• Amazona September 21, 2013 / 1:52 pm

You can burn a flag but you can’t kill a bald eagle. Since, as you point out, the bald eagle is not endangered, isn’t its status dependent on its being a symbol of the nation?

I guess all symbols are equal, but some symbols are more equal than others.

• Amazona September 21, 2013 / 2:01 pm

Don’t get me wrong—–I love bald eagles, and definitely don’t want them hunted. I used to call my Wyoming place Eagleville, I had so many bald eagles on it, and I think they are amazing birds.

But let’s get real here—-if I find an eagle feather why can’t I pick it up and keep it? If I find a dessicated eagle carcass on my ranch why can’t I keep the talons? It’s one thing to respect a species and not want it hunted (and if hunting was allowed this huge magnificent bird would quickly be hunted down to small numbers just because of its size and presence) and quite another to revere it as sacred and untouchable.

Not that any of this has anything to do with the hypocrisy of the pseudo-enviromentalists and their love of “green” energy. It’s just musing on eagles.

4. Retired Spook September 22, 2013 / 9:00 am

Wind turbines kill hundreds of thousands of birds each year, and nearly twice as many bats. Bats eat millions of mosquitoes, so, by extension, wind energy advocates must love mosquitoes.

• neocon01 September 22, 2013 / 10:37 am

Don’t get me wrong—–I love bald eagles,

me too LOL

• neocon01 September 22, 2013 / 10:41 am

on my ranch

there you have it………MORONS from NYC, DC, LA etc who have never left the city making LAWS of which they know nothing about….I say F em it is your property you own it and ALL that is on it including DEAD eagles…

• ricorun September 22, 2013 / 3:14 pm

To put that number in perspective, there are over a million bats living under the Congress Street bridge in downtown Austin, Tx, alone — and probably as many living in and around Texas Stadium a few blocks away. Perhaps what the Longhorns need is a few more windmills on campus!

• Amazona September 22, 2013 / 3:45 pm

Sorry—-just channeling rico and casper here, making wild leaps and drawing bizarre conclusions.

• ricorun September 22, 2013 / 3:52 pm

Amazona: Clearly rico thinks what the Longhorns need is more mosquitoes on campus, which clearly means he harbors hatred for the Longhorns and yearns to see them die of malaria.

According to Amazona’s logic, Spook wishes areas with windfarms a similar fate.

• Amazona September 22, 2013 / 4:09 pm

Not only channeling rico, but doing it so quickly he can’t keep up with the text.

Slow down, there, little buddy. Don’t be in such a hurry to try (and oh so painfully fail) to come back with a witty riposte. You couldn’t even come close to making a point here.

• Amazona September 22, 2013 / 3:49 pm

I also love bats, unlike rico who wants them killed.

I lived near a river in Wyoming but never had a mosquito bite at my house or outbuildings. I loved watching the bats hunt mosquitoes—it was an aerial ballet. I even went online to see if I could buy bats for my Colorado place but was told to just build bat houses and they will come.

Interesting trivia: They don’t like new wood so it helps if you happen to have a supply of bat s**t to rub into the wood to season it. Otherwise, weathered wood is OK, but new wood will not attract them for a season or two. Which has led me to wonder if the Libs who post here who are so clearly bat s**t crazy might also have some of the real stuff they would let me have.

5. neocon01 September 22, 2013 / 10:36 am

we MURDER MILLIONS of US citizans a year under the LIE of “choice” but dont kill a bird or touch turtle eggs….we are in the death throw”s of our country….insanity followed by collapse.

• Retired Spook September 22, 2013 / 10:56 am

we are in the death throw”s of our country….insanity followed by collapse.

Neo, what’s amazing to me is that someone arrested for picking up an Eagle feather hasn’t said “that’s it — that’s the last straw” and pulled out a gun and blown away the arresting officer. I guess, in some ways, we still are a civil society.

• Retired Spook September 23, 2013 / 12:43 pm

A bit draconian don’t you think Spook?

I’m not advocating it, just expressing surprise that it hasn’t happened yet. Although if you’ve ever had a run-in with a power-hungry conversation officer, you can certainly understand why someone would want to. IIRC, DNR officers in Indiana are the only LE officers who can arrest a county sheriff. Of course they’re not all A-holes, but I’ve encountered a couple over the years who bordered on eco-nazis.

6. dbschmidt September 23, 2013 / 10:45 am

Being a licensed falconer, requiring both Federal and State licenses, I can understand the misconception at some of the laws surrounding the possession of items like feathers. It is mainly to prevent those who would traffic in these items without regard for how they got them. Look no further than those who poach out of season for other animals and differing parts like racks, etc. The tests required to become a falconer are arduous and complete from identification, proper trapping, the laws dealing with handling and housing through veterinary requirements. I am also open to inspection at any time by Fish & Game to include everything I own with regard to raptors. Since I am originally from Florida and now reside in NC–I never bothered to get my Eagle license which would require me to undergo another apprenticeship under a master eagle falconer. I did three years as an apprentice (after passing the tests) in order to secure my license as a general and then master falconer.

Due to the surrounds in FL & NC–I liked the red-tail hawk (beuto) and Merlin (falcon) but have not pursued it here in NC because I have a resident red-shoulder hawk on my property. So I spend my time with the local rehab getting those birds that can survive again in the wild ready for release. I have always wanted to train a Great Horned Owl (which you take as an eyass) requiring over 2 years of dedication before you can attempt the first free flight which would not be possible in my current circumstances.

Anyway, from the Fish and Game department;

The federal protection of migratory birds has a long history in the U.S. dating back to 1916 when a treaty was signed between the United States and Great Britain, on behalf of Canada, for the protection of most migratory birds. This treaty resulted in the enactment of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA) in 1918, which is the basic law in effect today. Although raptors such as hawks and owls were not protected by the original Act, they were later included as an amendment in 1972. The bald eagle has been protected since the enactment of the Eagle Act in 1940 and the golden eagle, also under the Eagle Act, since 1962. State laws and regulations today likewise protect all migratory birds.

The exact language of the MBTA states:
    Unless and except as permitted by regulations made as hereinafter provided, it shall be unlawful at any time, by any means or in any manner, to pursue, hunt, take, capture, kill, attempt to take, capture, or kill, possess, offer for sale, sell, offer to barter, barter, offer to purchase, purchase, deliver for shipment, ship, export, import, cause to be shipped, exported, or imported, deliver for transportation, transport or cause to be transported, carry or cause to be carried, or receive for shipment, transportation, carriage, or export, any migratory bird, any part, nest, or egg of any such bird, or any product, whether or not manufactured, which consists, or is composed in whole or in part, of any such bird or any part, nest or egg.

from http://www.gpnc.org/raptors1.htm

• dbschmidt September 23, 2013 / 10:48 am

BTW, the reason falconers are allowed to keep feathers for the birds they posses is so we can “imp” or repair damaged feathers during season. Most raptors drop all of their flight feathers during the molt yearly–just not all at once.

• Count d'Haricots (@Count_dHaricots) September 23, 2013 / 12:32 pm

I had a Prairie falcon when i was a teen; a lot more wide open space around So Cal back then; today, not so much.

I do miss the sport.

• Amazona September 23, 2013 / 5:13 pm

Thanks for the info, db. Have you read the CJ Box book that focuses on his friend who is a falconer?

Based on this, you can see why I was a little nervous about carrying an adult bald eagle, and a very large one at that, around in the back of my truck. She stood about 36″ high when hunkered down, not standing up as tall as she could.

I think the point is not so much that it is considered legal to kill eagles at wind farms as it is tolerated by Libs who would howl at the moon if the birds were killed, for instance, by flying into oil derricks.

• neocon01 September 24, 2013 / 8:33 am

I had a Falcon once…….worst car I ever owned.

• dbschmidt September 24, 2013 / 9:29 pm

Consequences do not matter to Liberals and their causes. I do not know, or want to know, what it is like to not have a moral compass. I mentioned the rules & regulations because, as usual, it is the 10% that ruin everything for everyone else. Those that cannot obey laws screw everyone else.

Eagles are another matter as the best I have done is to rehab a golden eagle and that thing put a great deal of respect into my days. The talons on them are only a tad bit smaller than some of the largest owls and even the feet on the little “beer can” screech owls make one very conservative. Last time I was out hunting with friends in Wyoming with eagles on horseback–they had stanchions built for their saddles just to support the birds. I hunted rabbits with my red-tail and they were hunting coyotes.

After Hurricane Andrew, my mentor and I cared for around 20 raptors in the Miami area until folks could get their houses and mews back into order. During one afternoon of sunning for the birds and with no warning–one launched into my mentor piercing his hand which I had to calm the raptor and remove her talons from his hand. Wild animals are always wild. We do it because we get a little real life NatGeo.

Bats are another favorite of mine and there are a ton of great sites to learn more with Bat Conservation International (http://batcon.org/) as my jump off point. I had a little bat house (60-100) when I bought this property and have learned a great deal more from the web. I have been planning on erecting a bat house worthy but have to wait till Duke power starts selling off their used power poles this October. Plus find someone with heavy equipment to put a pair of them in my back yard at a reasonable price. I want a house worthy of up to 1,000 bats when they return from migration.

Then again, since I must be a complete nutcase winger–I guess that I will admit I like Cruz, Paul and others as well as I SETI at home on my servers that never sleep.

• dbschmidt September 24, 2013 / 9:47 pm

Two other notes is I have not yet read the book but will plan to as soon as possible and I have been working on a windmill that will actually make money rather than being subsidized at a ridiculous rate. Not only that but also is raptor & bat safe.

BTW, Ama, be very glad you did not feel the talons of that eagle. The one that I spoke of that got my mentor was a Harris hawk and completely went through his hand in both directions.

Finally, Count, if you still have the ability to fly raptors–adapt to your surroundings. My Merlin (basically a Scrub Jay on Steroids) or my friend’s Kestrels gave us great hunting on weekend mornings when we would surprise the Grackles at the McD’s or Sparrows at the local Publix (grocery store). Watching his Kestrels bounce around the multiple layers of pallets for sparrows or “come in low” to pop up over a parking stone to hit the mud puddle bound birds was entertaining to say the least.

7. neocon01 September 24, 2013 / 8:47 am

these freeking people are NUTS……..and dangerous..

HARRY REID CALLS TEA PARTY ‘FANATICS,’ ‘ANARCHISTS’…

8. neocon01 September 24, 2013 / 8:50 am

White House Celebrates Bisexual Visibility Day — With Closed-Door Event…

bongs bonga till the cows come home……what a disgrace, I dont even recognize my country any more….

9. neocon01 September 24, 2013 / 8:51 am

THIS is why they are hellbent on disarming us……
    Drudge
    10 Commandments monument toppled in DC…
    Vandals torch Ronald Reagan statue…

10. neocon01 September 24, 2013 / 8:54 am

OMG…..the LIE continues

(AP) Calif. man behind anti-Muslim film due to be freed
    LOS ANGELES
    A California man behind an anti-Muslim film *****that led to violence in parts of the Middle East******** is due to be released from federal custody this week.

• Amazona September 24, 2013 / 7:06 pm

..which is just another example of how a lie, if repeated often enough, can take on a life of its own. And this is the key to the rise in Leftist power. Take the tactic of repeating a lie so often its very familiarity makes it sound like the truth, factor in people who can’t be bothered to even try to keep up with current events, and you have a steaming pile ready to fertilize the next Lefty agenda…..or help cover up the last one.