Condi Rice for President

While it’s still pretty early in the game and a lot will unfold between now and November 2016, I can’t help but think that Condi Rice would make an outstanding candidate, and quite possibly an excellent President. She has terrific experience – Secretary of State 2005-2009; National Security Advisor 2001-2005; Provost of Stanford University 1993-1999; current Faculty Member in the School of Business at Stanford; and huge NFL fan (that last one is my favorite). She comes from humble beginnings, grew up in the segregated South, and in my opinion is a sensible, self aware, pragmatic conservative and from everything I have heard and read from Condi, she articulates the conservative message quite well. So not only is she a viable conservative candidate, she can completely disarm the Democrats emotional issues of gender, race and class.

Ted Kennedy once said, “a fight not joined, is a fight not enjoyed”, and I would love to join the fight and fight fire with fire this time around with the Progressives. Let the progressive try and play the “war on women” card against her, or the race card, and let her respond in a way that only she can, and as she did in her 2012 speech to the Republican National Convention:

“And on a personal note– a little girl grows up in Jim Crow Birmingham – the most segregated big city in America – her parents can’t take her to a movie theater or a restaurant – but they make her believe that even though she can’t have a hamburger at the Woolworth’s lunch counter – she can be President of the United States and she becomes the Secretary of State. Yes, America has a way of making the impossible seem inevitable in retrospect.  But of course it has never been inevitable – it has taken leadership, courage and an unwavering faith in our values.”

I am hoping that a ground swell of support will encourage Condi to enter the race, and small signs of that are there as she begins to attend fund raisers and give speeches to appreciative audiences. And since I am in pure speculation mode here, let me throw this name out as her VP candidate. Blue State Governor Scott Walker.

26 thoughts on “Condi Rice for President

1. Amazona April 27, 2014 / 12:35 pm

Cluster, I have always thought Rice would make an excellent president. She is probably the most qualified potential candidate out there, with the possible exception of John Bolton. But she has shown no interest in running for office, and only became part of the Bush administration because Bush entreated her to agree to help him.

It is a reflection on our political system that such qualified people are driven from the political arena because to enter it is to agree to be under constant personal attack while substantive issues such as qualifications, integrity, and experience are ignored.

I think we need to focus on the next elections, on getting the right people into the Senate and House and into governors’ mansions across the country, and then see how things settle out with some actual leadership in Congress and at the state level. We have so much depth on the bench, with Walker, Pence, Cruz, Martinez, Rubio, and at least half a dozen others, but I think we need to let them build their bases quietly and not start too soon in holding them up as the next candidate. I don’t even WANT a frontrunner for more than a year. Ask Spook about the focus on Pence in Indiana, from the Lefty mobs, because he has so much promise. Let them have to scatter their resources to attacking a dozen or more prospects, and not help them out by putting the spotlight on one or two.

Let Hillary start in now with her campaigning. She is the Dems’ Bob Dole, an old retread at the head of the pack due to nostalgia and a sense of rewarding her for what she has done for the party. Maybe she is the Dems’ John McCain, given her lack of charisma. But she is old, mean, nasty and bitter, and we can offer the counterpoint to all of that.

(And by “old” I don’t mean the number of her birthdays, but the number of years she has so stridently fought for the spotlight. Old news, old ideas, old personality. Heard it already, seen it already, yawn……….)

• bozo April 28, 2014 / 5:00 am

Agreed. Hillary is a bad idea. I don’t think that’s gonna happen, though. She lost to an obscure senator in 2008.

Understandably, our nation has a strong desire for a credible female in the race, which is why I am officially predicting Warren will get the VP nod. Too much noise to predict the prez yet. At this point in the Obama election cycle, BO was just barely a senator and had just passed his first bill co-authored by Tom Coburn, which resulted in THIS website.

Rice is a nonstarter, though.

• Cluster April 28, 2014 / 9:53 am

Warren? Is that the Native American Senator from Mass.? Haven’t we already elected an inexperienced, newly elected Senator? That really hasn’t turned out so well, has it?

• bozo April 29, 2014 / 2:43 am

That’s the best conservatives have against her. “I mean…look at her” jab was politically fatal for Brown’s campaign. And kinda stupid, especially given Massachusetts’ checkered Native American past. But, again, just VP at this point.

• Cluster April 29, 2014 / 8:06 am

Clowns are always good for comic relief, and once again he doesn’t disappoint. Aside from Ms Warren’s “high cheek bones” and obvious Native American Heritage, politically, she is more of an incompetent Educrat than Obama and not real good at math.

Hey clown, your state of CA is currently waving goodbye to Toyota and thousands of jobs. You can thank the Democrats for that.

• Amazona April 29, 2014 / 8:31 am

“That’s the best conservatives have against her?” Just that she’s a liar and a fraud? And inexperienced and not competent? Really, you conservatives, you need to come up with something that will bother Dems.

Here’s a partial list of things that do NOT disqualify candidates for the Dem voter:

Lying
        Fraud
        Tax fraud
        Simple tax cheating—not paying taxes
        Theft
        Sexual assault
        Murder
        Drunk driving
        Adultery
        Racism
        Race-baiting
        Campaign donation fraud
        Manipulation of the law to protect criminals
        Pardoning of terrorists and criminals for political reasons
        Contempt of Congress
        Contempt of court
        Illegal use of American agencies for political reasons
        Dedication to overthrowing the United States government
        Domestic terrorism
        Hatred of the United States
        Subversion of the Constitution

As far as I can tell, the only things that will upset a Dem voter are allegiance to the Constitution, the belief that innocent human beings should not be murdered for the convenience of other people, and the belief that Americans have the right to own guns.

• Retired Spook April 29, 2014 / 10:57 am

Amazona, excellent list. I’d add a several more:

Bragging in your autobiography about seeking out Marxist professors and other radicals to associate with.

Denying you said things that were captured on video.

Announcing on TV that you are going to violate the Constitution.

I’m sure there are many more.

• Amazona April 29, 2014 / 1:28 pm

But, as Cluster pointed out in his quotes from the excellent Ben Shapiro article, none of these matter if the candidate can still come across as a likable guy, a good guy, someone who loves his family and has a nice smile and TRIES REALLY HARD.

If he is a Lefty, that is.

If he or she is on the Right, nothing is overlooked, nothing is forgiven, and even statements never made the the conservative can be held against him or her. (“I can see Russia from my house…”)

• Retired Spook April 29, 2014 / 2:17 pm

We may be seeing a sea change on the horizon. Either the media is beginning to get a case of intellectual integrity or they’re just tiring of running interference for the closest thing to a criminal enterprise that’s ever run this country.

• M. Noonan April 29, 2014 / 2:44 pm

Or it could just be more battle-space preparation for Hillary’s run – setting up conditions where Obama is down in the MSM so that the bright, wonderful light of Hillary! will start to shine…

• Amazona April 29, 2014 / 7:33 pm

I think there is a certain amount of built-in danger in running as the antidote to Obama. She would be in the awkward position of either praising him and thereby painting herself with the same brush or criticizing him and becoming a racist. She can’t pledge to carry on the noble and exciting work he has begun, and she can’t promise to fix what he broke.

So far she has run as a co-president in a popular presidency, though her one effort failed miserably and after that she was packed off on diplomatic visits, the international version of offering tea and cookies. She is now running as Super-Christian, speaking about the importance of faith in her life—which, of course, revolved around “social justice”, blah blah blah.

I have yet to see anything, anywhere, where Jesus instructed anyone to go take someone else’s money to give to the poor. Charity has always been assigned to people as personal, not as a government duty. I am so sick of pious mouthings of pretense of charity and generosity, but in terms of what other people need to do. Hillary has her millions, she can go out and work in soup kitchens and fund scholarships and do whatever she wants to do. But couching her posturing of virtue as awareness of the duty of others, or the duty of government, is disgusting.

2. Retired Spook April 27, 2014 / 1:09 pm

Cluster,

I certainly agree with you on Scott Walker. I think he has a bright future in national politics. And I’d vote for Condi in a heartbeat, but I agree with Amazona that it would be very difficult to get her to run. And, actually, that might not necessarily be a bad thing. I’d much rather have a great candidate who is reluctant to run than a mediocre candidate who can’t wait to run.

• shawny2011 April 28, 2014 / 5:02 pm

I’m a big fan of Scott Walker but not sure he’s willing to run. Regarding Condi, unlike Hillary, I believe she’s a woman of good character but she has been and still is a member of the Council On Foreign Relations, the same place Hillary has stated she takes her marching orders from. My concern being in whose best interest would she choose to act once in office. So I need to do a lot more homework. Also, perceptions are important in dealing with world leaders. She’s certainly a diplomacy ace but we have suffered greatly from such a disastrously weak leader for too long and must present the opposite to the world if we are to gain back any trust or respect. I believe that will take a man and one with military leadership qualifications.

3. j6206 April 27, 2014 / 7:45 pm

Cluster, you can not be serious about Condi. A primary architect of one of the worst foreign policy disasters this country has ever experienced. John Kasich is a contender and Rand Paul is a really interesting candidate but he is too outside the main of the repup party to get the nom. Scott Walker doesn’t has a presidential personality. And as much as you whine and cry personally matters, dopes.

• Amazona April 27, 2014 / 8:01 pm

Hmmmm…..a Lefty troll with nothing to say but snarls. Nothing to contribute but another peek at another wannabe speed bump.

Who woulda thunk it?

(sarc off)

• J. R. Babcock (@JRBabcock) April 27, 2014 / 8:29 pm

I didn’t realize Condi worked for the Obama Administration.

• Cluster April 27, 2014 / 9:06 pm

Oh I am completely serious about Condi and the fact that you so strongly oppose her, bolsters my support. And what foreign policy disaster are speaking of? Benghazi? The reset with Russia? Supporting the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt? Or deposing Saddam Hussein? An action of which was debated and approved by Congress including a majority of Democrats. Even Hillary Clinton.

And if in your opinion Hillary has a Presidential personality, that’s a really low bar.

• tiredoflibbs April 28, 2014 / 1:41 pm

“A primary architect of one of the worst foreign policy disasters this country has ever experienced. ”

What does Egypt, Libya and Ukraine have to do with Condi?

Oh wait!

4. j6206 April 27, 2014 / 8:37 pm

Amazona would you vote for pro-life Condi? I don’t think so. Your best bet at thus point is, if Christie isn’t too damage by bridgegate and Kasich. Hey Amazona, who is your front runner?

• Cluster April 27, 2014 / 9:10 pm

Amazona would you vote for pro-life Condi? I don’t think so – j6206

Cluster, I have always thought Rice would make an excellent president. – Amazona

Progressives vast knowledge of everything is always so impressive.

• Amazona April 28, 2014 / 12:19 pm

“Amazona would you vote for pro-life Condi? I don’t think so”

I’d say this means you never read what I write, but given the fact (pointed out by Cluster) that I said, right here, that I think Condi would be an excellent president, I am going to go with the old tried-and-true, oft-proven, standby of inability to process the written word.

Here are the two main things I repeat, over and over again:

1. We need to vote on governance, not on issues. That is, the belief a candidate has in the best way to govern the nation.
      2. Abortion is not an issue within the Constitutional delegation of presidential authority. This is a state issue. The fact that a Liberal activist court—–that is, five unelected political appointees—-co-opted this issue and dragged it into federal territory by discovering a previously unknown emanation of a vague penumbra of an imagined Constitutional right does not change the fact that it is not part of any authority or responsibility delegated to the federal government in the Constitution, nor is it specifically prohibited by the Constitution, and therefore it is up to the States, or to the People.

Now I realize that all this just flies over the heads of you Libs, but that is my position, has been my position, and will be my position. I can disagree with any candidate on anything, as long as we agree on the basic principle that the United States must be governed by its Constitution, as it is written and not as it is wildly and expansively “interpreted”.

You guys? Hell, once we strip away all the emotion-driven issues that are so attractive to you, requiring as they do no thought but just feeling, you won’t have anything left at all but your precious Identity Politics. And since those Identities are usually based on positions on issues I guess you will be SOL.

Oh, wait—-you’ll still have your mindless hatred to fall back on. So I guess you can, and will, still insist on polluting serious blogs with general snark and vitriol. ‘Cause validation of those pathologies is what drew you to the Left in the first place, and even issueless you’ll always have your spite and malice.

• Amazona April 28, 2014 / 12:31 pm

I can see why Christie is a fave of the RRL, though with him as a candidate we would have to stop referring to RINOs like him as Lefty Lite.

Kasich is a decent enough governor, but as I also said in this very thread, and do let me quote myself here: I don’t even WANT a frontrunner for more than a year. In that same post I mentioned several potential candidates with a lot of promise, as well as saying there are many more.

You guys? Well, based on Identity Politics you seem to have decided it is time for a woman to be president, qualifications of no concern. After all, you hired an empty suit a couple of times, based on his skin color, so you have set a precedent, and evidently the next card you turn over says “woman” on it.

On our side, we’ll be looking at a lot of things that just don’t seem to matter over in Leftyland. I think the first and most important thing has to be a commitment to governing the nation according to our Constitution, which of course means understanding it. (All you have to do is look at what Barry “taught” about the Constitution—that the biggest problem with it is that it tells us what we can’t do but not what we can—-to see what a mess can be made by someone so ignorant.) And we’ll look at things like experience, character, and competence. I personally prefer to hire a governor, as this is an executive level position and I think that is really important. I liked Romney because he had executive experience in three demanding areas—–business, running the Olympics, and as a governor, and he excelled at all three.

It’s so much easier over where you sit. All you need is the Identity Of The Month, and a team of character assassins to attack the opposition, and a bunch of issues to suck in the gullible, and you have yourselves a presidential campaign.

• M. Noonan April 28, 2014 / 1:15 pm

That is pretty much it – and if Hillary does win in 2016 and gets re-elected in 2020, then the only Democrats who should even think of running in 2024 would be gay or Latino Democrats…it will be their “turn”, you see?

As for me, I’m still a Jindal guy – but I’m starting to think that Walker/Martinez will end up being our best bet…I think that ticket would flatten Hillary.

• Amazona April 28, 2014 / 1:46 pm

A friend just sent me an article which contains the following rule:

Don’t follow people. Follow principle.

When you don’t have a principle, this rule would leave you stranded, which is why the Lefties are so dependent on Identity Politics. They might not know anything about the system they are supporting, but they can sure throw snot-nuggets about how someone else looks or dresses or talks, and they have plenty of practice at character assassination.

5. dbschmidt April 27, 2014 / 9:16 pm

Since j6206 has nothing but snark–I will go way (kind of) off-topic here and bring Sarah Palin back into focus with what I consider an on-the-spot quote.

If you control oil, you control an economy. If you control money, you control commerce. But if you control arms, you control the people. And that is what they are trying,”
    Various places around the net–worth watching.

A funny, but too real joke…

A DEA Agent stopped at a ranch in Texas and talked to an old rancher. He told the rancher, “I need to inspect your ranch for illegally grown drugs.” The rancher said, “okay, but don’t go into that field over there…”, as he pointed out the location. The DEA Agent verbally exploded and said, “look mister, I have the authority of the federal government with me!” Reaching into his rear back pocket, the arrogant officer removed his badge and proudly displayed it to the rancher. “See this badge?! This badge means I can go wherever I want… On any land! No questions asked, no answers given! Do you understand old man?!”

The rancher kindly nodded, apologized, and went about his chores. Moments later the rancher heard loud screams, he looked up and saw the DEA agent running for his life, being chased by the ranchers big Santa Gertrudis Bull… With every step the bull was gaining ground on the officer, and it was likely that he’d sure enough get gored before he reached safety. The officer was clearly terrified. The old rancher threw down his tools, ran as fast as he could to the fence, and yelled at the top of his lungs……

“YOUR BADGE SONNY !! SHOW HIM YOUR BADGE !”

from Woodsterman’s blog

And another example of what liberals/progressives claim never happens, here in NC or anywhere for that matter.
    Voter Fraud May Have Swayed Allen West Election In 2012

6. Amazona April 28, 2014 / 3:04 pm

OT, but……

This blog does not have a corner on clueless trolls. Remember a couple of weeks ago when I posted something about a caller to a radio show explaining that we should not judge the illegal alien with 3 prior DUI convictions who drove drunk at a high rate of speed down a very busy Denver street and killed a kid, because “we don’t know the stresses he might have been under” and after all, he had spent “10 years being persecuted for being brown”.

On the way to work this morning this guy called in to complain. The show was about a new high school in Chicago that was going to be named after Barack Obama, and the host of the show was asking for ideas for the school mascot. (My favorite was “The Bitter Clingers”. One caller pointed out that they would not have football, given Obama’s recent comments, but their basketball team could be called “The Net Receivers”.) Anyway, this guy, Scotty, was oh-so outraged at the lack of respect for Obama, and he said that “…in the last eight years Barack Obama has done more for this country than…” at which time she interrupted him to point out that Obama has only been president for five years. Silence, then “There you go, insulting him again.”

I need to find out if this station (KNUS in Denver) has archived audio of its shows, because a compilation of Scotty calls would be the most brilliant indictment of Leftist “thought” imaginable, and a leader in the “You Just Can’t Make This S**t Up” category.

I do like the idea of our own contest to name the mascot of the new Barack Obama College Prep School. One caller suggested that the school song should be sung to the tune of Everything’s Coming Up Roses but the words would be changed to “Everything’s Coming Up Average”——no one can be denied admittance and everyone would graduate with a 2.2 GPA. They had fun with it.