The Summer of Discontent

On the heels of the VA scandal and the recent downward revision of first quarter GDP growth, or lack thereof as it was revised into negative territory, this summer does not bode well for the Obama administration. And it shouldn’t.  The accountability of Obama on every issue is woefully absent, the incompetence is palpable and even the lap dog progressive media is having a hard time covering it up. Jay Carney’s press conferences are more and more contentious and growing more bizarre by the day. The administrations reluctance, if not down right refusal to answer direct questions, and make tough decisions is harming this country, and the VA scandal is the prime example. This is not a new problem. Obama knew of this problem in 2009. Spoke about this problem. Promised to resolve the problem and offer vets the “21st century care they deserved”, yet once again, we can chalk that up to just another empty promise. Should we be surprised? After all this was a guy who promised to heal the planet and cause the oceans to recede.

The VA scandal is just another addition to the myriad of real concerning issues that must be dealt with this summer leading up to the November election. Insurance companies are scheduled to announce their 2015 rates, and expectations are that those revised rates may financially shock some people. The federal government is also expected to have to bail out the insurance companies this summer, a provision written into the ACA and conveniently ignored by the media. Remember, we have to pass it to find out what’s in it. The Benghazi hearings will commence this summer and that promises to be contentious and interesting, and I expect many Democrats are a little worried about that discovery process. The IRS issue continues to unfold with recently divulged emails ensnaring Democratic Sen. Carl Levin, and it was announced today that Judicial Watch has sued the DOJ over Fast and Furious, an issue of which Obama became so concerned about that he closed down the investigation claiming executive privilege. Add to all of this, the anticipated beginning of the “Ready for Hillary” side show campaign with her trying to convince everyone – “what difference does it make?”.

It proves to be an important and interesting summer. So much so, that I have sent in yet another contribution to the RNC this last week, hoping that they take the Senate this fall and at least put the brakes on this madness for the next two years. I encourage everyone to do the same.

11 thoughts on “The Summer of Discontent

1. J. R. Babcock (@JRBabcock) May 30, 2014 / 11:18 am

The accountability of Obama on every issue is woefully absent

Well, he IS “madder than hell”; that should count for something — right?

• Amazona May 30, 2014 / 3:31 pm

I think he is also planning to investigate.

2. Retired Spook May 30, 2014 / 11:49 am

During the Bush years I think just about every Conservative on this blog was critical of SOMETHING Bush did or said. Even when it was Blogs for Bush, he didn’t escape criticism when he did something we disagreed with. Now fast forward to the Obama years. As Cluster notes in this post, it has been just one scandal and one controversy after another, all culminating in what may well be “the summer of discontent”, and I can’t honestly say I’ve heard ANY substantial criticism from the Left. That leaves one to wonder, are rank and file Liberals just too embarrassed or ashamed to criticize or are they actually in agreement with pretty much everything this president does?

3. Retired Spook May 30, 2014 / 2:08 pm

Since we’re talking about “summer” here, one thing that could certainly come into the mix would be a hot summer coupled with rolling blackouts resulting from the wholesale closing of coal-fired power plants. That could spell a recipe for significant civil unrest.

• Amazona May 30, 2014 / 3:47 pm

I’m also considering the skyrocketing cost of food. I have already cut way back on my beef consumption because the prices are getting so high, and I don’t have significant financial concerns. While the beef prices are mostly the result of natural disasters—drought and fires in so much of cattle country and the rising cost of forage—- the result is still higher prices. However, federal cutting back of grazing leases to satisfy the watermelon crowd is not helping, as cattle producers count on this forage to help feed their herds. The cutting off of water to California agriculture will have to impact the cost of produce, and this is directly attributable to the EPA and eco-nazis. Death taxes in parts of the country where water is regulated, such as Colorado, have forced family members to choose between selling off their inherited land or the water that came with it, and when the water is gone the land is dried up and only productive in unusually wet years, which also impacts the price of the fruits that were once grown there.

As I said, my finances are OK, but I am still putting in a much larger vegetable garden this year and am trying to see about buying a buffalo from someone I met in Wyoming, to be split among several of us, to replace expensive beef. When I think of people who can’t do this, who live from paycheck to paycheck and don’t have the ability to grow food or have the option to give up something nonessential to buy food, I can see civil unrest brewing.

Here in Colorado, outside millions are being spent to try to get us to ban hydraulic fracturing, and if this scheme is successful Colorado will lose hundreds of thousands of oilfield jobs, which will have a domino effect on the economy of nearly every town in the state. The watermelons are not just trying to end this industry, and kill off these existing jobs, they are also fighting the Keystone pipeline, which would add jobs.

It is as if the goal is to create such unrest, such social and economic instability across so many areas of importance, that the whole country will be a powder keg ready to explode.

• Cluster May 30, 2014 / 4:15 pm

That’s an astute observation. I admit I don’t grocery shop much, but when my wife fell ill a little while back, I was charged with that duty and I was shocked at the price of dairy, meat and produce. I have also noticed gas prices inching back up to the $3.50 range, and both food and gas prices directly effect the lower income folks. I remember during the Bush years, any rise in gas prices was met with “on the scene” reporters extolling the horrors of high prices which drain the resources of poor working people, and it was all due to the “oil man” in the white house. Well nowadays there’s not one reporter to be found, yet prices are even higher.

• Retired Spook May 30, 2014 / 5:54 pm

I have also noticed gas prices inching back up to the $3.50 range

I’d love to see $3.50 again. We just jumped from $3.75 to $3.99 a couple days ago.

4. Amazona June 1, 2014 / 12:02 pm

I think it is interesting that Jay Carney has finally had enough. I have been feeling sorry for him, being sent out day after day to look the press (and by extension, the American people) and lie, one whopper after another. I guess he just got tired of trying to find variations on “what you see isn’t really there” and “what you heard isn’t really what anyone said, in spite of it being recorded”.

• tiredoflibbs June 1, 2014 / 2:02 pm

Yep, Carney’s job was nothing more than finding other meanings to the word “is”. I wonder if Carney would have lied to the Press (and the American people) explaining why obame did not get Congressional approval or inform Congress of his trade deal with the Taliban. At one time, this country did not negotiate with terrorists. Obame has changed this country’s position and reputation, once again, in a bad way.

obame has stated “he is not weak”. But his actions paint a different story. He sort of reminds me of King Geoffry from game of Thrones. King Geoffry would rant time and again “I AM THE KING!!” His grandfather would remind him that if he had to say it over and over, then a king you are not. obame is the same way: “I am not weak!”

5. J. R. Babcock (@JRBabcock) June 2, 2014 / 12:32 pm

One of the things that the MSM has almost completely ignored is the number of rural households that heat with propane that paid 2 to 3 times as much this winter, if they could even get delivery at all. Now they’re being told that Obama is finally going to make good on his promist and that their electric rates are going to skyrocket. I can’t imagine that a lot of them are going to stay home on November 4th, or that very many of them are going to vote for Democrats.

• Retired Spook June 2, 2014 / 1:32 pm

Excellent point. Propane in northeastern Indiana got close to $5 a gallon, (I paid around $2 last summer for a small tank that I just use for our gas fireplace log and the gas grill) and supplies were rationed. I have a neighbor who heated his house with space heaters for much of the winter, and only kept the temperature around 60 because he couldn’t get propane, and couldn’t afford it if he did. Two other groups that could play an important role this fall are those who used to get free healthcare at the emergency room who now get free health “insurance”; and those who are paying higher premiums, higher deductibles, higher co-pays, and often, higher out-of-pocket expenses because the doctor or hospital that offers the best treatment isn’t in their network. I wonder which group will vote in greater numbers?