If You Really Want to Fight ISIS…

…then you’d better be willing to go to war. I mean real war. With two million American personnel over in the Middle East for a decade and a complete re-casting of Middle Eastern life under American rule for a long while.

As regular readers know, with Obama in the White House I have become a peacenik – all I am saying, is give peace a chance because I’m dead certain that any war Obama commands will be a lost war. But, maybe I’m wrong and Obama will turn into a regular Abraham Lincoln as war leader – and, so, let’s get to fighting, if that is what you want. After all, if ISIS isn’t worth fighting, then there’s never any cause to fight, ever.

But if we do this, then think about a few things. Don’t get upset about how long it takes: it will take a long time. Don’t get upset about harsh measures: harsh measures will be necessary. Don’t get upset about civilian deaths: civilians will die (especially as most of the people who would put up the stoutest fight are certain to use civilians as shields).  Think about what you want to accomplish: just to kill some ISIS guys, or to actually get to a general settlement of the Middle East?  Killing ISIS guys is fine; but just killing them won’t get rid of what created ISIS – which was not, by the way, Bush’s invasion of Iraq but a series of decisions of the past 1,000 years by the overall Muslim world as affected by various outside forces.

Resign yourself to a long, grinding, expensive fight among people who will alternately hate us or be resentful of us (with just maybe a few groups of people actually catching on that we’re helping them – these people will be invaluable to us). Or, just give it up and let things take their course.  Our choice. But let no one choose lightly. On either side is death and destruction – in a sense, there are no right answers to the problem.  There are a series of wrong answers, and we’d just be trying to find the least wrong thing to do, with a hope that we’ll eventually put things to right.

13 thoughts on “If You Really Want to Fight ISIS…

1. tiredoflibbs September 4, 2014 / 5:33 am

“As regular readers know, with Obama in the White House I have become a peacenik – all I am saying, it give peace a chance because I’m dead certain that any war Obama commands will be a lost war.”

Obame’s record in Afghanistan is proof alone – more casualties, less air and artillery support, restrictive rules of engagement and hand-picked yes men in command positions. These should give anyone with a half a brain pause to allow this Links-Commander-in-Chief to run a real war but LIVs will go along.

• M. Noonan September 4, 2014 / 12:29 pm

That is why I’m not terribly in favor of going to war right now – though I do want us to try and help the people in the path of ISIS…mostly this works out to arming the Kurds and giving them some air and special forces support (and in return, the take in any refugee who comes along). But if we are to fight – now or later – then its a 10 year long effort and America will have to be the imperial power essentially dictating the settlement.

• Retired Spook September 4, 2014 / 1:32 pm

Sadly, I think what’s most likely to happen is that it will take another major attack on our soil to get our leaders (and I use that term loosely) to react. If it’s just another 9/11 style attack with a few thousand casualties, we’ll recover quickly, but if it’s more insidious — a chemical or biological attack, a suitcase nuke or dirty bomb in a major city, or an attack that successfully takes out a sizeable portion of our electrical grid, that would be a whole different story. Even given the worst case scenario, I don’t believe this administration has the political will to go after radical Islam in any significant way. Hell, they can’t even bring themselves to CALL it radical ISLAM or ISLAMIST extremism.

2. Retired Spook September 4, 2014 / 6:24 am

How about we just take a page out of the Democrat’s play book. If Wilson’s rounding up Germans during WW1 and FDR’s rounding up Japanese during WW2 and putting them in internment camps was OK, then let’s round up all the Muslims in this country and put them in FEMA camps. Or better yet, the Left’s solution to gun violence is to take away ALL the guns. How about we just kill ALL the Muslims. Let’s start with a daisy cutter on Dearborn, MI and work out from there That’ll solve the problem — right? I mean, is there really any such thing as a GOOD Muslim? See how simplistic Liberal solutions are? One size fits all. And how could anyone on the Left argue against such solutions without being seen as a hypocrite?

3. Cluster September 4, 2014 / 8:47 am

One thing that I find infuriating is how the Democrats are now finally coming around to the fact that Islamic jihadists are really bad people and that this is a war that may be generational. In other words – Bush and Cheney were right! Democrats use to blame Bush and the right wing for creating terrorists and creating this misery via their “cowboy” policies. Obama said as much in 2007, that after he was inaugurated, relations with the Muslim world would improve greatly.only because of his “understanding” of their society and his unique ability to communicate with them (his narcissism goes without saying).

The Democrats willful ignorance and Obama’s self aggrandizement have led the world back into a very dangerous place, and now they want us to ignore their culpability. I don’t think so. They need to be held accountable, and they need to be removed from power.

Just as a refresher, here’s a good read on Obama’s narcissistic delusions:

4. Harley September 6, 2014 / 9:30 am

Reblogged this on The Harley Factor and commented:
    I know I am in favor of going to was against ISIS. A real war to actually win it, but maybe it’s a good thing we aren’t yet with Obama as our Commander in Chief. He would have no intention of winning a war against his fellow Muslims.

• M. Noonan September 6, 2014 / 6:03 pm

Thanks for the re-blog!

5. tiredoflibbs September 8, 2014 / 5:26 am

The only way proggies can deal with terrorism is to legalize it, then tax and regulate it out of business like they have so many American businesses.

6. Amazona September 9, 2014 / 11:04 am

How can we fight radical Islam in the Middle East when we can’t even deal with it in our own countries? I strongly recommend reading the following article:

I guess the only explanation could be that having hundreds or thousands of Muslim men gang-raping white girls while photographing the rapes is not “radical” Islam at all but mainstream Islam. That ought to be an interesting argument.

• Cluster September 9, 2014 / 2:47 pm

I am more and more of the mind that “moderate” Muslims do not exist

• Amazona September 9, 2014 / 4:59 pm

As far as I can tell, a “moderate” Muslim is one who would not wield a sword or knife to cut off the head of an infidel, but is kind of glad someone else is doing it. As far as I can tell, a “moderate” Muslim is one who would not personally kill a Jew, but who is quite comfortable with the idea of having every last Jew killed. As far as I can tell, a “moderate” Muslim is one who doesn’t necessarily think all infidels should be killed—just those who refuse to convert to Islam. As far as I can tell, a “moderate” Muslim is one who just wishes that all other Muslims had exactly his or her level of devotion to exactly his or her branch of Islam, so they would not qualify as infidels and have to be killed.

As far as I can tell, a “moderate” Muslim is one who doesn’t make his wife walk behind him and thinks it is OK for his sister to drive. But aside from a little willingness to go along, to some extent, with the culture of a host nation, there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of tolerance of anyone but other Muslims, and even that is qualified.

• Cluster September 9, 2014 / 6:30 pm

A few years ago here in Phoenix, a Muslim father ran over and killed his teenage daughter. Her crime? Becoming too westernized. The outcry from the fairly sizable Muslim community here in Phoenix – ZERO.