Memo to Conservatives: Don’t Trust the MSM on Pope Francis Quotes

A couple days ago, a lot of conservatives got really ticked off at Pope Francis over an alleged quote calling PA leader Abbas an “angel of peace”. Looks like it wasn’t quite like that – via Stephen Kruiser over at PJ Media:

As is tradition with heads of State or of government, Francis presented presented a gift to the Palestinian leader, commenting: “May the angel of peace destroy the evil spirit of war. I thought of you: may you be an angel of peace.”

As Kruiser points out, exhorting someone to be an angel of peace is not exactly the same as calling them an angel of peace. Kruiser further notes the puzzling fact that many on the right – who wouldn’t trust the MSM on anything – blithely swallow whatever the MSM is putting out about the Pope…as if the MSM actually likes the Pope and would actually do him a favor!

Keep in mind regarding Vatican dealings with the PA that there is a small and highly oppressed Christian minority in the West Bank and no one in the world – other than the Vatican – cares about them. In order to secure any sort of peace and justice for this minority, the Vatican has to work with the PA…and this means walking a very, very fine line. You can complain about it all you want, but until someone with power steps forth to protect the Christians of the West Bank, that is the way it will be.

Anyone thinking that Pope Francis is the “commie Pope” just doesn’t understand Pope Francis or the Catholic Church. Kruiser further points out to anyone thinking that Pope Francis is a liberal should note that a very early act of Francis was to defrock and excommunicate a priest who was in favor of gay marriage and female ordination. For those of you who aren’t Catholic, I’ll make something very clear – the Pope cannot unilaterally change doctrine. Pope Francis will not proclaim same-sex marriage, nor modification of the pro-life message, nor female ordination. It just won’t happen. Ever.

For those hung up on Francis’ condemnations of consumerism and capitalism: lump it. The Church has always condemned capitalism and consumerism. It didn’t like it when the Liberals of the Manchester School were using it to grind up the workers of Britain any more than it likes it today. It never will like it – because profit, as a thing, must never be the prime motivation of economic activity. All actions, to be moral, must have as their motive the betterment of humanity. If you can make a profit while doing that, knock yourself out…but if profits start to come before the needs of men and women, then you’re doing it wrong. How we decide to balance the needs of humanity with the needs of profit in work is a prudential judgement – the Church makes no commands about how you do it, other than you must not lie, cheat, steal, poison the environment or screw over your workers while doing it.

End of rant – and may everyone have a blessed Sunday!

15 thoughts on “Memo to Conservatives: Don’t Trust the MSM on Pope Francis Quotes

1. Retired Spook May 17, 2015 / 8:18 am

I DO think the Pope recognizes what’s coming. I don’t know that anyone knows for sure what he or she would do in the face of death as a result of one’s faith. I’m sure some will simply kneel down and allow themselves to be executed. I have little doubt that I will die for my faith. I just don’t know at this point whether I’ll go willingly or whether I may just resist a bit. I was kind of hoping it wouldn’t happen in my lifetime, but the tea leaves aren’t looking too good.

• M. Noonan May 17, 2015 / 10:56 am

Terrible times are not coming for the faithful – they are already here. The United States is just the safest place on earth to be a believer in Christ…but make no mistake about it, there are forces in the United States who would at least like to see us de-facto disenfranchised, if nothing worse.

I know some believe that Obama is Muslim or some such, but I don’t think so…people of the left aren’t really anything as regards faith, for the most part. They are “spiritual”, not “religious”. They have some vague, pantheist notion of some sort of deity kinda back there somewhere but no real concept of the immortality of the soul (other than as, perhaps, some sort of disembodied spirit which is absorbed into God upon death) and certain don’t grasp the concept of an Incarnate God. Additionally, they have had rank ignorance about religion shoved into their brains – stupid concepts such as Obama’s condemnation of the Crusades as some sort of moral equivalency to what ISIS is doing today. Religion is bad, on the whole…and whatever the Islamists might be doing, it is just what every religion has done and will do, if given the chance (I think they really believe we’d start burning witches at the stake if we got the chance).

As for what I would do? I don’t know. I pray I’ll be brave if it ever comes to it – but I also pray I’ll never come to it!

2. Shawny Lee May 17, 2015 / 10:22 pm

Gentlemen, what you would personally do for yourself, no matter how brave or noble is a comfortably selfish thought. It is what you are prepared to do, will ultimately be called upon to do, to protect those you love and others in the name of that same God which will be tested. And He gives us the answer to that question. As a woman and a full time caregiver to my disabled husband, there is no other question or option in my mind.

• Shawny Lee May 17, 2015 / 10:32 pm

P.S. Not conflicted regarding your rant. I trust neither the Pope nor whatever the MSM has to say about him.

• Retired Spook May 18, 2015 / 7:47 am

Shawny, it goes without saying that I would protect those I love, even those I don’t know, up to and including laying my life down for them — that’s just who I am. I’m talking about a situation where I’m dressed up in the orange jump suit, lined up on the beach and beheaded or shot in the head because of my faith, like the Coptic Christians who were executed in Libya. I don’t know how they got to that point, whether they were captured trying to save their families, whether they resisted, or what. They certainly didn’t seem to be resisting at the moment of their deaths.

• Shawny Lee May 18, 2015 / 8:18 am

I have wondered if they were not drugged of even if it was staged because it was so unlikely that all would be so non-responsive in the same way to their impending death. At the very least you would expect the mouthing of final prayers to whatever God they believed in (and they have executed many of their own and other religions besides Christians). Something seems very wrong about it to me.
        I have prayed that none of us is called upon to lay our lives down any time soon, for any reason, but like you, I would not hesitate. Were it not for so many courageous souls who came to that same decision before us and made the right one, we might not have even had the freedom to choose. Why should that freedom cost any less dearly now than it ever has?

• M. Noonan May 18, 2015 / 10:38 am

Got to remember that the Copts have been a beaten-down minority for more than a thousand years…you resist and not only will you end up dead, but so will even more of your friends and family. Muslims have been doing this sort of thing for a long time, after all. Back when the Greeks revolted against 400 years of Turkish misrule in the early 19th century, the initial Turkish reaction was to hang the Greek Orthodox Patriarch in Constantinople because, well, he was Greek, defenseless and immediately available to be murdered. He quietly went to his death.

But, also, the early Christian martyrs also accepted their fate. St. Thomas More did, too.

• M. Noonan May 18, 2015 / 10:40 am

They might well have been told to take it or even more will die – but I also understand that one of the men murdered was a non-Christian who accepted Jesus after seeing the calm and brave way the Copts were going to their deaths. This has happened before, as well – in the past during one of the Muslim raids upon the coast of Italy, the leader of the Muslim pirates ordered his troops to start beheading the captured Christians and the calm bravery of one of the captives so impressed one of the Muslim pirates that he proclaimed his faith in Christ right there and then…and was, of course, immediately beheaded for it.

• Retired Spook May 18, 2015 / 12:54 pm

I’ve wondered that as well. It may just be, as Mark notes, that they’ve been persecuted for so long that they just accept martyrdom as their lot in life. If every Christian felt that way, Evil would win in a cakewalk.

• M. Noonan May 19, 2015 / 8:35 pm

Ace has taken to calling the Clintons grifters – and that is about it. They are piling up tens of millions of dollars in personal wealth and using their “charity” as a slush fund to cover travel and other expenses. I am astonished at the level of greed shown by them – it isn’t like they lacked for anything, after all.

• Cluster May 20, 2015 / 8:03 am

Rush calls it the Clinton Crime Family Foundation and that is what it is. Hillary treated the state department as a conduit to amass wealth and power for herself and the foundation. At the very least, she shared sensitive intel with with Blumenthal who was using that information to take advantage of business opportunities all the while being paid by the Foundation. At the worst, she was allowing Blumenthal to help direct policy that would certainly benefit him and the foundation. Imagine what she would sell as President.

• M. Noonan May 20, 2015 / 12:24 pm

I get the impression that she was trusting Blumenthal’s “intel” more than that being provided by State and CIA. A very risky thing to do under any circumstances, and impossible when the guy providing the intel has a vested interest in a certain outcome.

• Retired Spook May 20, 2015 / 8:16 am

Imagine what she would sell as President.

The Lincoln Bedroom, among other things.