Open Thread

We’re winning, guys. Slowly, but surely:

The U.S. Supreme Court has reversed the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals, and has ruled that the 1925 ‘Peace Cross’ Memorial erected to remember World War I dead can stay on public land.

It is insane that any American court even accepted the case – it is not in any way, shape or form an establishment of religion to have a religious symbol on public property. The whole thing about the Establishment clause has been twisted – as we all know, because we’re not dumb and know history, an Establishment of Religion is where the government selects a religion and makes it mandatory – and provides various penalties, large or small, for anyone who doesn’t subscribe to the officially sanctioned religion. That is all the Founders were trying to prevent – they weren’t trying to prevent the erection of a memorial cross by a people, at the time, better than 95% Christian (and even today better than 70% Christian). We’ll get more and more like this as Trump’s judges take hold of the Judiciary.

I watched most of Trump’s re-election kickoff rally – I know all our Experts say he’s doomed and its all over and we’re just waiting for the Democrat to win…but, geesh! That was a big, enthusiastic crowd…and I can’t think of a Democrat who can draw that sort of crowd absent a rock star performing at the event. We’re, once again, told that crowd size doesn’t matter…ok, Experts: you say so. I guess we’ll see how it comes out. Oh, Trump raised nearly $25 million in the first 24 hours after his campaign announcement. That’s more than any Democrat, by a lot. Too bad for Trump that a poll is more important than people and donations, right?

If you watched that rally, you saw the themes Trump is going to hammer on over the next 18 months: People Vs Powerful; “I’m for you, they’re for anyone but you”; the economy is booming. That’s a pretty strong message.

Kamala Harris – providing more evidence that Trump is going to win – asserted in a Tweet that Trump’s plan to deport illegal immigrants is an effort to change our demographics. She’s saying that the Real Americans – the people she cares most about – are the illegals! With opponents like this, Trump doesn’t need any friends.

Roger Simon – now resident of Nashville where he’ll be one of the pioneers in the creation of the American Jewish Hillbilly Community – writes about his former home, Los Angeles:

I left Los Angeles for Nashville slightly over a year ago. When I call friends back in my former home (for 50 years), most of them tell me I got out just in time.

Actually, they’re wrong. I should have gotten out ten or even fifteen years before. The handwriting was on the wall. “California dreamin’,” pace Mama Cass, “was no longer a ray-al-it-tee.” It hasn’t been for a long time.

Read the whole thing – and I can attest to what Simon is saying. I’ve been around Los Angeles since 1970, off and on. I even lived there for a few years after I got out of the Navy. Since about, oh, 1995 or so, it has just started to crumble. The last time I was in downtown LA, I was nauseated…doubly so because LA is my father’s city, and my grandfather’s. And I remember how it was when I was a kid and it’s all been wrecked. It is dirty, it is falling apart, it is overrun with zombie-like people who, per reports, are sh**ting so much on the streets that there is typhus. This is what Liberalism does. This is what they want to do to your city. We have to stop them.

53 thoughts on “Open Thread

1. Retired Spook June 20, 2019 / 12:58 pm

That’s one California trend that we better hope doesn’t spread across the country. Democrats, particularly those running for national office, need to be constantly asked if that’s what they want for the rest of the country, and if not, how do they propose to avoid it, given it’s a direct result of policies that they espouse and support.

2. Retired Spook June 20, 2019 / 3:24 pm

A bit of good news.

Court Rules President Trump Can Defund Planned Parenthood, Will Cut Almost $60 Million in Taxpayer Funding.

• jdge1 June 20, 2019 / 9:13 pm

Certainly a great step forward. Hopefully with many more to follow. The battle is not yet won though, with multiple related litigations still pending.

”Many Democratic presidential hopefuls have called for a repeal of the Hyde amendment and lined up with abortion rights groups, who say the policy turns poor women into second-class citizens, unable to exercise their constitutionally protected right to abortion.” Um… there is no constitutional “right” to abortion. In relation to R. v W. The Supreme Court only said the woman has a right to “privacy”. BIG difference. Of course, the court totally sidestepped the real issue of the “right of the unborn”, being an individual, while connected to the mother, is still a wholly unique and separate human being.

”Despite promises from 2020 presidential candidates and efforts from left-wing Democrats, the ban on federal funding for most abortions remains in place.” Other than the fact that the left is adamantly push abortion for any reason, if there is already a ban on federal funding for most abortions, why would this be an issue and other the fact that we’re dealing with crazy people and activist judges using the power of the position to impose their personal agendas, outside of the law?

Hard to know where this will end in the short term. All the more reason for Trump to continue to nominate constitutional judges. In the long term, most God fearing people know how this will end.

3. Cluster June 21, 2019 / 8:20 am

From the YCMTSU file …. MSNBC just did a climate change report from Montana and of course the report detailed the “very warm temps” and “rising stream levels”, etc. What was missing from the report were the government signs in Glacier Park saying that the glaciers would be gone by 2020 which were recently and quietly removed due to the fact that the glaciers are not gone and have actually grown.

That’s a detail they left out of the report. I know I was shocked too

• Retired Spook June 21, 2019 / 9:09 am

Meanwhile in the Midwest we’re continuing to be cold and wet. I think we’ve hit 80 (yeah, 80, not 90) twice this spring/summer.

• Cluster June 21, 2019 / 9:17 am

I think it’s clearly obvious we are going through a minimum solar activity cycle. Temps here in AZ have been the coolest I can remember in the last 20 years. Here it is June 21, and our overnight temps are still dropping into the 60’s with daytime temps in the low 100’s. That is cool for June in AZ.

I also read a report that Lake Mead was expected rise significantly due to the snow pack and rain fall in the Colorado’s. And remember it wasn’t but a few short years ago that some climate alarmist said that snow would be soon be a thing of the past. Oops, wrong again.

It must be fun being a liberal …. you never have to be factually right. Just morally right.

• Amazona June 24, 2019 / 8:11 am

People in Colorado are freaking out. Correction: Lefties in Colorado are freaking out. Big news flash, eh? In this case, following last year’s freakout about the drought being a harbinger of things to come as the Earth dries out due to massive global warming, a sign of impending doom, this spring the freakout is based on the fact that there are parts of the Colorado Rockies still under more than 20 feet of snow. The drought is now officially over, but now the Chicken Littles are terrified of floods if the snow melts too fast—global warming, you know.

Not enough snow, too much snow, too hot, too cold—they pretty much have all the bases covered, ensuring total freakout every day of the week.

• Retired Spook June 21, 2019 / 9:32 am

It must be fun being a liberal

First of all, simply claiming the higher moral ground obviously makes Liberals feel better about themselves, but it doesn’t make them moral. And I don’t know that “fun” is the right word. Most Liberals I know don’t have “fun;” they resent other people having fun, and do everything they can to rain on other people’s parade.

• Ryan Murphy June 22, 2019 / 5:50 am

Yet you still see claimed ‘record temperatures!!!’ Every day. When you know it just isn’t actually happening.

4. Cluster June 21, 2019 / 9:39 am

I find this latest Biden gaffe to be hilarious. The media wants to frame it as Biden “reaching across the aisle” to work with segregationists. Um ….. WRONG. Joe was reaching across the Democrat Party to work with racist segregationists.

A little inconvenient truth for Democrats.

5. Retired Spook June 21, 2019 / 12:26 pm

Quote of the Day:

“A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money. — G. Gordon Liddy”

6. Cluster June 21, 2019 / 1:49 pm

Are you kidding me???

Famed columnist E. Jean Carroll claims she was raped by Donald Trump in a Bergdorf Goodman dressing room, alleging he ‘pinned her arms, unzipped his pants and forcibly penetrated her for three minutes’

I know I will catch heat for saying this but women have become a problem in our society. Most of them seem more interested in selfies than families, and God forbid you look at them in a manner that offends their sensibilities. And I here I thought they wanted to be equal.

• Retired Spook June 21, 2019 / 2:01 pm

Jeannie Carroll was in my wife’s class at at South Side High School in Fort Wayne, Indiana. To say she was promiscuous in high school would be an understatement. Should make for an interesting 60th class reunion year after next.

• Cluster June 21, 2019 / 2:04 pm

LMAO but judging from the picture of her, my guess is that happened in her dreams. One look at her and most men would have trouble performing.

• Retired Spook June 21, 2019 / 2:11 pm

The photo at the top of The New Yorker article is not particularly flattering. Jeannie was a babe in high school. From her Wiki page:

Carroll was raised in Fort Wayne, Indiana. She attended Indiana University, where she was a Pi Beta Phi and a cheerleader and was crowned Miss Indiana University.[2] In 1964, representing Indiana University, she won the Miss Cheerleader USA title.[3]

• M. Noonan June 21, 2019 / 10:05 pm

Have the Mrs wear a MAGA had and ask for an autograph.

• Amazona June 24, 2019 / 8:23 am

“Famed” columnist? Really?

Three minutes? In a dressing room in a big, busy department store? Where a 6’3″ man whose face had been on every front page in the city for years went unnoticed in a woman’s dressing room area, and no one heard her cry out for help?

Can I get an invite to that reunion?

• Retired Spook June 24, 2019 / 8:56 am

The accusation by E. Jean Carroll would be a lot more believable if she had named Bill Clinton as her rapist.

My guess is she will not be back for the 60th reunion. Over half the people in her class probably voted for Trump.

• Cluster June 24, 2019 / 1:13 pm

Here’s the latest:

E. Jean Carroll Says She Didn’t Think Including Trump Accusation In Her Book Would Get Much Attention

Really?

• M. Noonan June 21, 2019 / 10:04 pm

To me, it is just wrong that people can make uncorroborated accusations in the major media and aren’t held to account. My view is that if you can’t prove it happened, then you shouldn’t publish it…there’s more at stake here than making a few bucks and stoking the Resistance fanbase. There are real people involved here – people who do have lives to live. Barron gets to hear a lady accuse her dad of being a rapist…and no matter she can’t prove it, there is remains in the public record.

• Amazona June 24, 2019 / 8:20 am

No, just SOME women—–and don’t forget the Pajama Boy “men” they get to deal with.

The Left has been quite successful in its campaign of the modern equivalent of bread and circuses, but in our day and age it is cell phones coupled with social media. Used for making calls and even looking things up, or getting unlost by using Google Maps (I’d still be wandering around Berlin without it) cell phones are a wonder, but the addiction to social media and having the ability to hook into it nonstop, any time from any place, has turned our society into zombies.

My brothers and sister-in-law and I rented a houseboat for four days on Lake Powell a couple of years ago, and she spent the entire time on the top deck frantically searching for bars on her phone so she could get a Facebook fix.

I’m lucky in that the women I know are pretty sensible, and bringing up children to be sensible. But I have to admit, a massive EMP attack on this nation, while causing the deaths of many millions of people, might also purge us of portable brainwashing machines, so there might be a silver lining to that cloud.

• Cluster June 24, 2019 / 8:47 am

I couldn’t agree more. Smart phones coupled with social media are having massive negative effects on our society.

7. Cluster June 23, 2019 / 9:16 am

This is brilliant:

‘At the request of Democrats, I have delayed the Illegal Immigration Removal Process (Deportation) for two weeks to see if the Democrats and Republicans can get together and work out a solution to the Asylum and Loophole problems at the Southern Border. If not, Deportations start!’

Trump has not only just exposed Democrats for defending law breaking criminals, he has now forced their hand to do something about it. This will be an interesting two weeks watching Democrats defend illegal immigrants many of whom have criminal records at the expense of their own constituents. Pass the popcorn.

And just a bit of advice to everyone actually but specifically those on MSNBC right now complaining about everything – if your feelings are hurt, call your mom. She’s the only one that cares.

8. Cluster June 23, 2019 / 9:22 am

To clarify my remarks on women, I first want to say that I still blame men for everything. And I mean everything. I think the majority of the problems in this world are from men abdicating their roles. If your child is now at the border unaccompanied, you are not a man. If you father a child, it is your responsibility to provide for that child. Period. Anything less, and you need to turn in your man card and never have children again.

What disappoints me is that women seem to being taking up the mantle of irresponsibility now and becoming just as selfish as the men.

9. Cluster June 23, 2019 / 9:28 am

Here’s how excited Democrats are with their 24 POTUS candidates

HBO’s Bill Maher Pleads With Oprah to Run for President

They are begging a TV personality to run.

• Retired Spook June 23, 2019 / 9:53 am

Aside from the small core constituency of avowed radical Leftists, there is no excitement for any of the Democrat candidates. And people forget that most of the Freshmen Congress critters are, or at least ran as moderates, enabling them to win in districts that Trump won in 2016. Plus 34 GOP House members either retired or ran for another office while only 18 Democrats did so. So I suspect the Dems’ control of the House is tenuous at best. They’ve passed lots of bills in the last 6 months. Read the description of each one and see how many impacted a significant portion of the population.

• Amazona June 24, 2019 / 9:25 am

I don’t see a lot of action on the Dem side regarding House and Senate races. They seem totally focused on Trump.

I think we got rid of a lot of GOP squishies and RINOs and if we have a good election next year we have a good shot at a solid Congress and a couple more SCOTUS seats.

• Amazona June 24, 2019 / 8:27 am

They are begging a TV personality to run.

It’s worse than that. There are people who not only want Michelle Obama to run, they are predicting that after the other Dem bodies are littering the floor she will step forward to be nominated by acclaim, to proceed to destroy Donald Trump in the election.

And then ride a silver unicorn in the inaugural parade.

10. Cluster June 24, 2019 / 8:21 am

I get so frustrated with meek conservatives who buy into the liberal narrative. I just watched two sanctimonious liberal judges on the Ninth Circuit lecture a DHS official over the lack of “blankets, soap, and toothbrushes” for migrant children to which she coward and stumbled and look weak. I would looked right back at the two aged, professorial judges and said homeless people in their district literally live in shit. How safe is that Mr. Judge?

Now I sit and listen to the sanctimonious staff of Morning Joe call out Ivanka Trump for not having the heart to tell her “daddy” to fix the border. Seems to me there is another woman who has a lot more control over what happens at the border than Ivanka, and that would be Mrs. Pelosi. I wonder why they don’t insist on her doing something, and I wonder why nobody on the panel brought that up. It’s a mystery.

This weekend, Mrs. Clinton bemoaned the conditions at the border and deemed it reprehensible that children were living in these conditions. If only there was a Global Initiative led by two prominent former American politicians that took in millions and millions of dollars from around the world with the stated mission of helping the less unfortunate. That would be neat.

And what better way for Democrats to walk the walk. What do you think would happen if people like George Soros, George Clooney, Tom Steyer, Oprah Winfrey, Angelina Jolie, etc. to pool money and fundraise from their other “very concerned progressive” friends and actually go to the border and provide shelter, blankets, toothbrushes, etc. ???

What do you suppose would happen? I would say their chances of electoral victory would skyrocket. They would actually be leading by example. It’s an easy solution and a little suprised none of them have thought of this. Oh wait ….

• Amazona June 24, 2019 / 8:32 am

Maybe Trump should announce that if this group of sensitive caring people would commit to providing the supplies they claim are so essential to survival and decent lives, he would ask the government to buy 5 acre lots along the border where they could build and staff and supply warehouses for these supplies. If Oprah were to sell just one of her mansions, or maybe her yacht, that alone would finance a lot of loving care for the children who have been rescued by Border Patrol.

I’d chip in five buck for the effort.

11. Cluster June 24, 2019 / 8:33 am

“If it weren’t for President Obama we might not have done the intelligence community assessment that we did that set up a whole sequence of events which are still unfolding today, notably Special Counsel Mueller’s investigation. President Obama is responsible for that. It was he who tasked us to do that intelligence community assessment in the first place,” Clapper said in his Anderson Cooper interview……..Durham and Barr are getting closer to putting the leaders of the Deep State coup in jail for years for their crimes against their country. And James Clapper is beginning to feel the chill.

I sure hope so

12. Retired Spook June 24, 2019 / 1:23 pm

Has anyone here heard ANY of the Democrat presidential candidates talk about how they want to expand individual liberty along with a renewed sense of personal responsibility?

• jdge1 June 24, 2019 / 2:53 pm

What?? And leave their socialist plantation. Unthinkable! What are you, are radicle conservative?

Most if not all of these leftist politicians think they’re at or near the top of the pyramid, when in fact, they themselves are mere puppets subservient to devil who turns the wheels (at the moment) for a few globalist & mega industry elitist. Once these politicians find out they’re standing on the flimsiest of ground, they’ll have nowhere to turn to, and certainly not to the people who they tried to burn. Though I’m sure they’ll try.

13. jdge1 June 24, 2019 / 3:55 pm

President Donald Trump on Monday said nations worried about the safety of oil tankers bound for their ports should play a role in protecting their own interests and not expect the U.S. to be the only nation defending traffic in the Persian Gulf and Strait of Hormuz.

“China gets 91% of its Oil from the Straight, Japan 62%, & many other countries likewise. So why are we protecting the shipping lanes for other countries (many years) for zero compensation,” Trump wrote in a pair of tweets.

When you include all of the long time expenditures the US has been providing other countries for things like; keeping the waterways safe, for NATO and similar efforts, the significantly larger share of UN dues, and the considerable outlay of foreign aid to numerous countries, is there any wonder how so many countries can afford socialist practices without the financial impact & burden of providing for themselves? Many countries are freed of providing their own costly expense of protection that the US has engaged in for a considerable timeframe. Should the US suddenly pull back from these expenditures and efforts, and force these socialist countries to handle themselves, I wonder how their numerous socialist practices would fair? My guess is it would either doom that country or harshly curtail most of the “free” socialist gifts they provide their citizens. I don’t wish ill on them, but when the US provides so much and in turn gets criticized for any wrong, fictitious or real, it’s time for them to stand on their own.

• Cluster June 24, 2019 / 4:28 pm

You’re 100% correct but Trump at least has been successful in getting most of them to pay more. Other Presidents never even tried.

14. Retired Spook June 24, 2019 / 4:39 pm

OK, here’s a riddle for you: How many people does it take at a Democrat political rally shouting USA, USA, USA for it to register on a decibel meter?

Answer — it depends on whether or not there are any Republicans at the rally.

15. Cluster June 25, 2019 / 7:42 am

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you just can’t make this shit up:

The 448-page report compiled by special counsel Robert Mueller’s office apparently translates into a 10-act play that takes 18 actors to perform — including Annette Bening, Kevin Kline, John Lithgow, Alfre Woodard, Justin Long, and Alyssa Milano. On Monday, these stars and more will do a live reading of “The Investigation: A Search for the Truth in 10 Acts,” a stage production based on the Mueller report.

These people have completely lost thier minds …. and there’s more

The all-star cast also includes Ben McKenzie, Michael Shannon, Jason Alexander, Kyra Sedgwick, Piper Perabo and Zachary Quinto. Guests like Sigourney Weaver, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Mark Hamill and others will also make appearances, according to the press release.

Viewers across the U.S. can watch “The Investigation: A Search for the Truth in 10 Acts” starting at 9 p.m. ET on the Law Works website as well as the organization’s Facebook and Instagram pages, according to a press release.

The stream is free, although the organization is encouraging those interested in its mission to donate. Law Works seeks to engage educate the public on “the importance of the rule of law, the role of the special counsel in the justice system and the integrity of our judicial institutions.”

They want to “educate people on the importance of the rule of law” – well some laws. Not all the laws, only the laws they agree with

• Retired Spook June 25, 2019 / 10:01 am

It isn’t so much the laws they agree with; it’s who the laws are applied to (and who they’re not).

16. Cluster June 25, 2019 / 8:00 am

I wonder if the American public takes into account that career politicians who have been “serving the country” for well of 20 – 30 years are blaming Trump for everything. Trump has been in government now for 3 years, yet is seemingly responsible for everything bad. I wonder if that resonates with the American people. I am not holding my breath because I really don’t think the American people are all that bright.

17. Cluster June 25, 2019 / 8:04 am

Whatever happened to Howard Schultz? I thought he was running for President as a democrat? Has anyone seen him? I hope he’s alright.

18. Cluster June 25, 2019 / 3:59 pm

Watch and behold. No other commentary needed

19. Cluster June 25, 2019 / 4:44 pm

Hard to believe but this is who the Democrats are in 2019 speaking about federal agencies:

These radicalized, criminal agencies are destroying families and killing innocent children. It is absolutely unconscionable to even consider giving one more dollar to support this President’s deportation force that openly commits human rights abuses and refuses to be held accountable to the American people…

• jdge1 June 25, 2019 / 7:33 pm

”These radicalized, criminal agencies are destroying families and killing innocent children.”

That would be laughable if it weren’t such a tragedy the number of our unborn children that are killed and victimized in in the name of “choice”. Whoever uttered that statement is either devoid of any logic, morally corrupt or both. I do not know what will become of those people in this world, but they will ultimately have to answer to God. I would not want to be them when they have to front to HIM, and explain their actions with nowhere to turn.

20. jdge1 June 26, 2019 / 6:48 am

Hard to fathom that the 3rd in line to the Presidency is advocating breaking the law with respect to deporting illegal immigrants – ”What’s the point?”

She has no qualms arguing; “No one is above the law, not even the President.” But apparently, she and illegal immigrants are. Trump and the RNC should explode on this showing how devastating the influx of illegals have hurt middle and lower income Americans. How easy would it be to cite case after case of an everyday American who lost their job or had their wages diminished and tie it back to illegals in the work force? Or show the staggering statistics of crime perpetrated by illegals? Then hammer her by asking the voting population; “Who is really working for the (American) people?”

21. jdge1 June 26, 2019 / 6:52 am

Got a laugh out of this.

”Most leftist are a$$-holes. Just go to one of their conventions and yell – “Hey A$$-HOLE.” Then watch all 5 of them turn toward around.”

22. jdge1 June 26, 2019 / 7:03 am

” A Texas couple has been charged with causing the death of their premature newborn daughter who was found dead from a severe beating in which she suffered 96 fractures.”

This couple will likely be charged and receive long prison sentences. I’ve read more than once; inmates have a special place in their hearts focusing their attention on child abusers. Yet I can find no real difference between what this couple did and the scalpel of an abortionist.

23. Cluster June 26, 2019 / 8:07 am

This is no longer acceptable … period. People are dying as a direct result of Democrats obsession with Trump and their complete failure to protect the border WHICH IS THE GOVERNMENTS FIRST F****ING RESPONSIBILITY.

Óscar Alberto Martínez Ramírez, 25, and his daughter Valeria were found face down in shallow water on the Mexico side of the river across from Brownsville, Texas on Monday morning. The searing photograph, captured by journalist Julia Le Duc and published by Mexican newspaper La Jornada, highlights the perils of the latest migration crisis

NEVER EVER BE CIVIL TO THESE MOTHERF***ERS. I AM DONE WITH THEIR INSANITY.

When you run into mindless progressives from now on …. intimidate the hell out of them. Shake their world. Make them question their own existence. Be vigilant. Did you see the “hollywood stars” reading the Mueller report? They looked like spoiled children throwing tantrums. To steal a phrase from their boy wonder – “it’s not who we are”. We are not socialist pajama boys and it’s time to find that out.

24. Cluster June 26, 2019 / 8:26 am

OK, two things here which exposes the depravity of the current Democrat Party:

1. The treatment of Brett Kavanaugh. Never forget that. They tried their best to destroy a very good, honorable, decent man and his family. With no shame. That is reprehensible.

2. These are the people who Democrats are currently going out of their way to protect and to keep safe in this country:

The list released last week highlights cases in Oregon, which has the oldest sanctuary state law in the country, and Washington state, which passed an expanded sanctuary state policy last month. In Portland, Martin Gallo-Gallardo allegedly killed his wife after walking free from jail on a domestic violence charge in defiance of an ICE detainer. Mexican man Fidel Lopez, 52, pleaded guilty to raping his fiancee’s Lhasa Apso mix in Portland but was released on time served despite being a Mexican national present in the U.S. illegally. Mexican national Francisco Carranza-Ramirez, 35, is currently on the run from cops in Seattle after police said that he returned and raped the same wheelchair-bound victim he was previously convicted of sexually assaulting. Honduran man Rosalio Ramos-Ramos is accused of killing and dismembering his cousin after he walked free from a meth charge in Seattle despite an ICE detainer.

Now, do we still consider them just “political opponents”???

We need to consider them as enemy combatants and treat them accordingly.