Open Thread

Interesting article about the Trump/Bolton dynamic. You may have been wondering – many have – how an Establishment guy like Bolton manages to work with Trump? Well, the bottom line is that Bolton is a patriot, first and foremost. Bolton knows that his job is to provide the President with the best advice possible…and then let the President decide the course of action. Bolton is, apparently, abrasive and pushy (and this does some times rankle Trump), but at the end of the day, when the President decides, Bolton backs the President. This isn’t the first time a leader had someone like that on his team – and the best leaders have two or three like that. You have to, if you want to win…you need people who aren’t afraid of you, who can shake you up, but who will also do as they’re told.

Omar’s family is keeping to Omerta about her marriage issues – to the point where even reporters trying to figure it all out just can’t do it. To me this means that there is something in there hideously embarrassing.

NR article about how the Left is convinced they’ve already won in 2020. I’ve seen this for about a year – especially after the mid-terms. the Left isn’t convinced they will win: they are convinced that they already have won; with a subtext that if Trump did somehow manage to win, it could only be via fraud. The Left looks at the vision of future America and the 2044 Presidential election wherein a majority of Americans will be non-white and so their future is assured, no matter what. No one seems to have told them that Texas is only 45.35% white. But, be that as it may, they are certain – and that is why they are pushing themselves ever further Left. They’ve already won, you see? And that means the Left has won…so by insisting upon open borders and Medicare for all, they are just doing what they were elected to do (next year, but don’t confuse the poor dears).

Meanwhile, some polls have Trump garnering support of 45% of Latino voters.

Boris Johnson will be the next British PM…and he’s pledged to get Brexit done, but I doubt he will. Certainly not the full break with the EU that the Brexit vote ordered. Britain is done. They lay supine under Iranian threats because they don’t have a fleet large enough to fight. They get arrested for saying The Bad Words. There’s nothing left.

Cory Booker says he’d like to beat Trump up. I doubt that Trump is worried.

We have to discuss nutsack waxing because our Tru-Con Expert Betters spent the last 50 years making sure Big Corporation was taken care of while civilization died.

44 thoughts on “Open Thread

1. Retired Spook July 23, 2019 / 4:20 pm

I’ve been a John Bolton fan for a long time, and the picture the complicit agenda media paint of him has me scratching my head. You’d think he advocates just nuking everyone who dislikes us. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve seen him interviewed, and I can’t say I’ve ever seen that side of him. Is he a hawk who believes in America projecting power around the globe? You bet. But the fact that he still works for a man who is one of the most anti-war presidents of my lifetime supports your take. IMHO, John Bolton is one of the most knowledgeable individuals on the planet on the subject of geopolitics.

• Amazona July 23, 2019 / 4:43 pm

Spook, as usual I agree with you completely. As a matter of fact, back when I thought Romney had a backbone I thought a Romney/Bolton ticket would cover the economy and international bases pretty thoroughly. As for him being “establishment” I don’t see that—he has managed to tick off pretty much everyone. I have the greatest respect and admiration for him and am glad Trump wants to work with him.

• M. Noonan July 23, 2019 / 5:29 pm

Don’t get me wrong: abrasiveness is necessary: because most people in politics merely want to get thru the day without making a mistake. Making them actually do anything is well nigh impossible unless you pester them constantly. Churchill was famous for that (“pray give me the facts on a single sheet of paper”…again and again issued to an inert bureaucracy actually makes them do things). And the true mettle of a leader is in how much he can handle someone barking back. Lincoln was superlative because he could allow a Stanton to be Stanton while also keeping Stanton on a leash.

• Retired Spook July 23, 2019 / 5:33 pm

Don’t get me wrong: abrasiveness is necessary:

I didn’t take it wrong — I agree with you.

• Amazona July 23, 2019 / 6:18 pm

Bluntly laying out facts without tiptoeing around feelings of others is a necessary factor in being an effective adviser. I have never heard that Bolton tries to be offensive, just that he doesn’t waste a lot of time sugar-coating things, or go along with things he thinks are wrong or foolish.

• Retired Spook July 23, 2019 / 5:34 pm

And Bolton makes the Left’s heads explode almost as much as Trump. What’s not to like about that?

2. Cluster July 24, 2019 / 8:45 am

I too am a Bolton fan but I also like the counter weight of the non interventionist Trump along side him. It also speaks well of Trump that he has such a diverse group of advisors. Trump is sending in Rand Paul to talk with Iran …. another good move IMHO.

Rep. Ilhan Omar is a snake. She is proof that we have let our guard down against a very smart, dishonest and deceiving enemy. Let’s not forget that according to the Koran and Allah, it is not only permissible, but encouraged to lie to your enemy and appears as though she did just that to gain citizenship and I have no doubt she is lying about everything else. I don’t know if she believes in Sharia law but the wrap she wears on her head suggests she does and Sharia is antithetical to America. I think she is simply the front of a larger Muslim effort with bad intent.

The NY District that elected AOC has a population of just under 700,000 people. AOC won the primary with just under 17,000 votes. Apathy is the reason why AOC is in Congress. Not enthusiasm.

And the assumption that ALL Hispanics and Blacks will vote Democrat is the definition of racism. I cringe whenever I hear pundits talking about the “black vote” but that is a phrase you will hear everyday in the liberal media. In fact I think this over the top rhetoric of “Trump is a RACIST” is designed to keep as much of the black vote on the Democrat plantation as possible.

• Amazona July 24, 2019 / 9:11 am

When I look at the election of Omar I think an analogy would be electing someone named Goering to Congress in 1939.

I get free speech, I get the right to criticize the government, but at some point, when this turns into efforts to overturn the government, a line has to be drawn. The argument is that we overthrew the government when we had our revolution, so this is part of our heritage. To which I say, fine—write out a new Declaration of Independence from the existing United States, raise an army and go to war to establish the country you want.

But I don’t think this country has an obligation to enable subversion, to allow people to undermine our government, to try to topple a sitting president. I think/hope we are nearing a Constitutional amendment which draws that line.

• Cluster July 24, 2019 / 9:40 am

I would say that Obama’s 2008 campaign promise to “fundamentally transform” the country was the beginning of Democrat efforts to subvert our government as it was founded. And those efforts are still in play today if not accelerating.

3. Cluster July 24, 2019 / 9:04 am

Mueller just contradicted himself less than 10 minutes into the hearing. Good job Rep. Doug Collins

Just like Biden, Mueller’s age has become a detriment. He looks lost.

4. Cluster July 24, 2019 / 9:17 am

I can tell you right now that Mueller’s testimony is orchestrated. Whenever a Republican asks a detailed question he asks them to repeat it and stumbles for the answer … effectively wasting the time allowed to them. Whenever a Democrat asks a detailed question, he has no problem answering quickly.

This is a circus

5. Retired Spook July 24, 2019 / 1:59 pm

I was watching Mueller’s testimony before the House Intelligence Committee while working out at the Y this afternoon. During ranking minority member, Devin Nunez’s opening statement, I got the impression from Mueller’s facial expression that Nunes was outlining basic facts behind the whole sordid affair that Mueller had never heard before. I switched my pocket radio from the TV feed to our local AM talk radio station just in time to catch Rush’s take. He validated my suspicion that it was pretty clear from Mueller’s performance that he was only peripherally involved in the entire investigation, mostly just lending his name and reputation to an investigation that was primarily run by a pack of virulent, anti-Trump, partisan Democrats.

Kudos to John Radcliff, R-Texas, for getting Mueller to admit that he didn’t know of another instance in which a prosecutor made a public statement that he/she was unable to exonerate an accused.

• M. Noonan July 24, 2019 / 11:14 pm

On average, people who rise high in any bureaucratic institution will be those least able to do anything…such people tend to not just make mistakes, but also rub everyone the wrong way. So, if you bet that any particular senior official is just a cardboard cut-out, you’ll win most of the time. Lots of things are charged to Mueller…but, since he got back from ‘Nam he might have just been the guy out front.

• Amazona July 25, 2019 / 7:53 am

You’re basically talking about the Peter Principle, the theory of a Dr. Peter that people rise in their professions because they are pretty good at what they do, till they hit a level beyond their level of competence, —but the problem is, they then stay there, instead of going back down to their last level of competence. This is how he explained the incompetence at so many levels of so many companies and governments—-if, when someone hit that plateau, he would then be sent back down to the last level where he had been competent and stayed there, everything would run much more smoothly.

Clearly most if not all the drooling Dems are a level or two beyond their last level of competence. Some, probably a dozen levels beyond it.

6. Retired Spook July 24, 2019 / 3:13 pm

Quote of the Day:

“What this country needs in a good five cent nickel” Larry LaBorde, precious metals broker

And an interesting story to go along with it.

7. Cluster July 24, 2019 / 5:40 pm

I didn’t get to watch much but by any measure, this was very bad for Democrats. I think it was obvious to every objective bystander that there is no substance here. I thought Jim Jordan’s line of questioning about Misfud was excellent and then whoever the Republican was that was asking him about Klimnik being a US State Dept operative did very well. Mueller was caught off guard by that and had to reply “I can’t speak to that” …

Misfud began this whole thing by feeding Papadopulous info and then setting him up. Also Mueller admitted that Misfud lied on three different occasions to the FBI but Mueller couldn’t explain why he didn’t charge him. And Klimnik is passed off as a shady Russian operative in this whole soap opera all the while being a long time State Dept operative under different administrations.

This whole thing has the bullshit meter red lining.

8. Cluster July 24, 2019 / 6:04 pm

So Pelosi, Schiff, Nadler, and Cummins just gave a beauty of a press conference. Pelosi is one missed vitamin away from dementia, Nadler is trying to make up for all the ridicule he has suffered in his life, Schiff is a skilled propagandist, and Cummins? Well ole Elijah is a special kind of stupid. Anyway it’s a must see. They of course all patted themselves on the back for being defenders of Democracy but at this point they have lost so much credibility what else can they do?

9. Cluster July 25, 2019 / 9:24 am

The only thing missing from yesterday Mueller hearings was how it should have concluded:

“Although there is evidence of potential violations regarding the handling of classified campaign information, our judgment is that no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case,”

I will remind Democrats that Hillary Clinton was also “not exonerated”. I wonder if that means she is still guilty??

10. Retired Spook July 25, 2019 / 9:40 am

One of the best lines of questioning that’s getting almost no play was by Debbie Lesko, R-AZ.

LESKO: Mr. Mueller, rather than purely relying on the evidence provided by witnesses and documents, I think you relied a lot on media. I’d like to know how many times you cited the Washington Post in your report.

MUELLER: How many times I what?

LESKO: Cited the Washington Post in your report.

MUELLER: I do not have knowledge of that figure . . . . I don’t have knowledge of that figure.

LESKO: I counted about 60 times. How many times did you cite the New York Times?

MUELLER: Again, I have no idea.

LESKO: I counted about 75 times. How many times did you cite Fox News?

MUELLER: As with the other two, I have no idea.

LESKO: About 25 times. I’ve got to say, it looks like Vol. II is mostly regurgitated press stories. Honestly, there’s almost nothing in Vol. II that I couldn’t already hear or know simply by having a $50 cable news subscription. However, your investigation cost the American taxpayers $25 million.

Mr. Mueller, you cited media reports nearly 200 times in your report, then in a footnote, a small footnote, No. 7, page 15 of Vol 11, you wrote, I quote: “This section summarizes and cites various news stories not for the truth of the information contained in the stories, but rather to place candidate Trump’s response to those stories in context.” Since nobody but lawyers reads footnotes, are you concerned that the American public took the embedded news stories at face value? (emphasis – mine)

At that point, Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) cut off the questioning, insisting that the hearing was running short on time.

I would add that I’ll bet many, if not most of the news reports were based NOT on fact, but on leaks from someone on Mueller’s team. That was also done to add weight to the Steele Dossier to obtain the FISA warrants. Someone in the FBI and/or intelligence community leaked info from the Steele Dossier and then used the press reports to bolster the legitimacy of the Dossier.

Quote of the Day:

“Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive.” Sir Walter Scott 1808.

11. Cluster July 25, 2019 / 11:24 am

Here’s the latest from Joey Scarborough:

The former Florida Republican congressman said if he were attacked by Trump in such a way, he’d have reacted differently and dedicated himself to “turning [Trump’s] political bones to dust.”

“And when I turn it to dust, at that point, I’m then gonna spit on it and then I’m gonna sweep it off the stage and make sure nobody remembers you other than for being the mean clown that you are. I’m sorry to scare children this morning, but I’m talking about a mindset,” he said to laughs from the panel.

LMAO. I can tell you that there is not one conservative man who has any fear of Democrat Pajama Boys. Too funny

• JeremiahTMM July 25, 2019 / 9:29 pm

You know he’s calling for violence against the President of the United States.

I wonder how he would feel if one morning he were sitting at the kitchen having a cup of coffee, dreaming up ways he can get rid of the President, and he gets a phone call from a 911 operator telling him to step outside that his home is surrounded by US Marshals, FBI and law enforcement tactical teams?

You know, that’s what needs to happen, but will that ever happen? I’m not going to bet on it. But that’s who the Department of Justice, the FBI needs to be investigating right now.

Little Joey might just disappear though. People are watching. 😄

• Cluster July 26, 2019 / 8:21 am

I share your sentiment. Can you imagine though if Hannity would have said that he wants to turn Joe Biden into dust and spit on him. Do you think there might be some “outrage” over that?

• JeremiahTMM July 26, 2019 / 5:50 pm

Yeah, it would have been world war 3. No rest from the fake news media, the death threats 24/7. They would have been ready to take off Sean’s head.

So why not Scarborough? That’s what I say…I hate to say it but most people in this are mouth breathers. They have no clue because they’re enjoying life without regard for the real world problems.

12. Retired Spook July 25, 2019 / 1:19 pm

Biggest takeaway from the hearings yesterday is that people who only watch ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN and MSNBC learned just how much those networks have not reported on the Russia/Trump collusion hoax the last two years. Saddest aspect — the destruction of a once honorable man who came across as a doddering old fool, who one pundit described as possibly in the early stages of Alzheimer’s. The Democrats should be ashamed, if only they were capable of shame. There’s not a hot enough corner of Hell for these reprehensible creeps.

13. Retired Spook July 25, 2019 / 9:28 pm

I heard a talking head the other day describe John Bolton as “the architect of the Iraq War.” If you Google “was John Bolton the architect of the Iraq War” you get a number of fairly recent articles that make that claim. His own Wikipedia page says he was the architect of the Iraq War. However, in the Wikipedia page for “the lead up to the Iraq War,” Bolton’s name is not mentioned once. The Wikipedia page for the entire Iraq War also does not mention Bolton’s name at all. Kinda makes you wonder, doesn’t it?

• Cluster July 26, 2019 / 8:18 am

Nothing makes me wonder anymore. I really not surprised by anything so Bolton or Daffy Duck could be the architect of the Iraq War depending on who is saying it and what political narrative their following … the truth has no bearing whatsoever.

Donny Deutsch just said that Democrats need to “start” using fear. Start?? That’s all they do.

It’s a little odd that Democrats just spent the last two days trying to convince the country that Trump is in fact a Russian agent, stole the election, is working against America’s best interests and then they jet off for a 6 week break? But again, that’s not surprising. Maybe they should start using fear though as a tactic lol, right Donny?

• Retired Spook July 26, 2019 / 9:36 am

The average person has no idea how the media create a narrative, and once created how difficult it is to uncover the truth. There are very few honest, investigative journalists anymore. John Solomon, Sara Carter, Sharyl Attkisson and Kimberley Strassel are about the only ones who come to mind on the national scene, and that’s just not enough to keep the rest of the media honest.

• Cluster July 26, 2019 / 9:49 am

True that. The average person only knows sound bites taken out of context. And the media plays that game well.

14. Cluster July 26, 2019 / 8:50 am

Let’s not forget that every single political critic of Trump used to be friends with him, ask him for campaign contributions, and/or attended his high profile parties and events. This includes all current media pundits.

Kinda of makes you wonder.

15. Cluster July 26, 2019 / 9:42 am

PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA, Oct 18, 2016: There is no serious person out there who would suggest somehow that you could even rig America’s elections, in part, because they are so decentralized and the numbers of votes involved. There is no evidence that that has happened in the past or that there are instances in which that will happen this time.

Well he’s right about that. I would hardly call Democrats and liberal media pundits “serious people”.

• JeremiahTMM July 27, 2019 / 2:54 am

You know, I think about him a lot. How he does that commercial with that couple. I been thinking about getting one of his pillows. He’s a really nice guy. Humble, and kind natured.

16. Cluster July 26, 2019 / 11:25 am

Denying Science once again:

Suppressing testosterone levels in male athletes isn’t enough to eliminate their natural advantages over female athletes, according to a recently published paper in the Journal of Medical Ethics.

The paper’s findings contradict congressional Democrats’ claim that male athletes who identify as transgender don’t have an inherent advantage over their female competitors.

Evidently Biology is not real, but climate change is. That’s the world Democrats live in.

17. JeremiahTMM July 27, 2019 / 2:48 am

I wonder what is up with all the military planes and helicopters? For the past week they’ve been flying over us day and night, one just flew over sounded like they were shooting a gun. Yesterday afternoon flew over I could see the soldier sitting in the back with the door wide-open. And those planes I thought they were going to crash into the mountain they were flying so low.

They must getting ready for war somewhere. I don’t know what’s going on. But I ain’t never seen this around here.

18. JeremiahTMM July 27, 2019 / 3:11 am

I hope soon when we can stop hearing on the news about Democrats and their Witch Hunt.

I get so sick of it. It’s mind-numbingly insane. And we never get to hear about the important things, about how President Trump is lifted people out of poverty, and given them a future. As well as other important matters of rebuilding infrastructure.

But we never get to hear it, all we ever get to hear is the Democrats plans to destroy this nation, which is very true, and shouldn’t be taken lightly. My. gosh, they have put President Trump through three years of pure hell. It’s unreal. All over absolutely nothing! It’s time we get this thing over with. Please! Stop the insanity! This is America! Not Venezuela! Not China! Not USSR! None of those countries! We are free country! Free people! With free speech!

Please someone stop the liberal insane asylum that this three ring circus Congress has become! I’m sick of them destroying this free country!

19. Cluster July 27, 2019 / 9:12 am

Just heard on MSNBC (by some mindless pundit):

“If there wasn’t a Fox News, the American public would be convinced of Trump’s crimes and he would be prosecuted.

Let’s pound these SOB’s into submission

• Amazona July 27, 2019 / 2:22 pm

It is fascinating to watch them inadvertently blurt out the truths that damage them, and the stupidity of not even realizing what they said or its significance.

Slightly restated, he said “If there wasn’t at least one news outlet not dedicated to supporting and promoting the Leftist strategy of unseating an elected American president, and providing facts to counter the elaborate lies the rest of the media are trumpeting full blast 24/, they could have fooled more of that public”.

I keep coming back to the question: WHAT CRIMES???

This entire thing is a huge inverted pyramid teetering on a teeny tiny point of an unidentified “crime”, which I think is “collusion with Russia”. Then “obstruction of justice” is based on the claim Trump tried to interfere with investigation of that “crime”—but you can’t have obstruction of justice without a crime to investigate.

So…name the crime. Give us the title of the crime and its statute number.

Anyone?

20. Cluster July 27, 2019 / 11:20 am

This is a lovely article:

MAKINDYE-LUKULI, Uganda (AP) — The darkening clouds are ominous for many in this urban neighborhood, promising rushing rainwaters stinking of human waste from overflowing septic tanks.

As Africa faces a population boom unmatched anywhere in the world, millions of people are moving to fast-growing cities while decades-old public facilities crumble under the pressure.

Sewage is a scourge for residents of this community on the outskirts of Uganda’s capital, Kampala. There are no public toilets for some 1,200 people. Mud tinged with feces washes into homes during heavy rains.

The sanitation crisis echoes that of cities across the developing world. Some 2.5 billion people, most of them in Africa or Asia, lack access to an adequate toilet, United Nations figures show. Governments are increasingly depending on private businesses and philanthropic groups to help manage human waste in cities that were never planned to handle so many people.

• Retired Spook July 27, 2019 / 2:33 pm

What’s really sad is you could change a few words and be talking about downtown LA. Saw a doctor interviewed a couple days ago who said it’s not a matter of if there will be an outbreak of Bubonic Plague in LA but when.

• Amazona July 27, 2019 / 3:21 pm

Spook, I was thinking the same thing