Poll: 28% Conservative, 12% Liberal

From Rasmussen:

…The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 28% of Likely Voters say they are both fiscal and social conservatives.  Just 12% say they are liberal in both areas, while 60% are some other combination…

That is about right – and it is why I hold the United States to be a center/right nation.  We can do ok with a center/left President like Clinton, but we can’t at all tolerate someone who is completely leftist, like Obama.  The mistake Obama and his Democrats  made in 2009 was to presume that America have shifted left when what really happened was just a rejection of a particular political party let by a particular President.  A rejection of Bush and the 2008 GOP by no means signaled a shift to the left in America.

But Obama and Co ran with it – and so we got disastrous policies and now an increasingly angered electorate which seems to be building itself up towards a gigantic rejection of all things liberal in 2012.

The really amazing thing is that Obama could have got 80% of what he wanted – and, perhaps, have shifted America a little further to the left than it had ever been before.  All he had to do was call in to his councils people like McCain and Snowe and he would have gotten a lot of things to please his base while also offering some things to his opposition.  But his attitude was “I won, so screw you” to the GOP and conservatism.

Ok, if that’s the way you want it…

35 thoughts on “Poll: 28% Conservative, 12% Liberal

1. Cluster August 19, 2011 / 9:59 am

I have often wondered if people like thomas, bodie, etc., consider themselves to be amongst the majority of main stream Americans.

• Sparkly August 19, 2011 / 10:22 am

No, they just know more than the main stream America.

Which is just too stupid to realize how much better liberalism is.

• Cluster August 19, 2011 / 10:28 am

The problem liberals have is actually proving their policies are better. Obama will lose the election in the next 30 days, when, and if he unveils his new “grand plan” that will most likely consist of more government spending and higher taxes. The majority of center right Americans will roll their eyes and reject it.

• Sparkly August 19, 2011 / 10:31 am

Policies? You actually think the Dems are going to run on policies? Why would they start now?

• Bodie August 19, 2011 / 10:58 am

“The problem liberals have is actually proving their policies are better. ”

Great projection, there, cluster. But conservatives have serious trouble proving their policies are better, and in fact, most of them don’t even bother trying. But seeing as how conservatism has been based on the principle that belief trumps fact for a while now, that’s not a surprising dynamic at all.

• Leonard L'Farte August 19, 2011 / 11:02 am

• Sparkly August 19, 2011 / 11:51 am

And here I thought conservatism is based on the recorded success of the constitutional form of government we enjoyed for about two centuries. The conservatives I know not only “bother trying” they do a fine job of proving their policies are better and have the historical record to do it.

But the left can’t point to a single example of socialism or communism or progressivism or liberalism or whatever name they are using this week ever even coming close to the success record of the constitutional form of government. We look at a nation that grew so quickly and so dramatically in only about a hundred years that it offered what people around the world wanted for themselves and we point to the constitutional (conservative) system of government to explain that. We look at other nations that had to build fences to keep their people from escaping the miseries of their system and we don’t see that as proof the system was better.

The only belief that trumps fact is the belief of the left that this time it will be different. This time it will work. No matter how often it has failed and no matter how dramatically it has failed and no matter how many have been murdered to try to make it work and no matter how many have suffered when it has been their system of government and no matter how bad the standard of living has been and no matter what freedoms have been taken away, this time it will work. This is the belief that trumps fact. This time it will work.

• Bodie August 19, 2011 / 4:36 pm

Leonard–

Here’s a great example I saw yesterday. Perry is confronted with factual evidence that abstinence-only education is a failure. His response? “Abstinence works.” His belief trumps actual fact. We see this constantly. Hell, just on the subject of abstinence-only education, it’s been shown to be a failure time and again, but the right wing continues to insist that it works.

Evolution vs. creationism? Same thing. Supply-side economics? Ditto. And on and on it goes.

The right wing’s guiding principle is that believing something makes it true whether or not there’s any factual support for it. Hence, belief trumps fact. And you’ll often see that in the nature of right-wing arguments: The right wing doesn’t tend to argue that a policy does or does not work, it tends to argue from a position of moralizing: “It’s wrong because nanny state/Christian morality/disincentive to work/whatever.” Their belief is what’s important, not what actually happens.

• Luckee August 19, 2011 / 5:45 pm

Bodie will you please let us know how many women practicing abstinence have gotten pregnant.

Ditto for how many males and females have contracted STDs while being abstinent.

Then share with us the figures on the increase in pregnancies and STDs since schools started teaching children as young as twelve how to have sex.

Perhaps you ought to define “works”. Abstinence works when it is practiced. When it is not practiced it does not work. Does this confuse you?

• Luckee August 19, 2011 / 5:47 pm

Does Rick Perry dismiss all evolution or just the Big Bang theory?

The left likes to lump all opinions on intelligent design into one convenient category they make fun of.

• Luckee August 19, 2011 / 5:50 pm

Ditto for the term supply side economics. Will you please be more specific? You guys do like to invent your own definitions and then use them as if they mean anything.

Perhaps since you sneer at what you call supply side economics you can not only explain what you mean by the term but compare it to whatever economic theory and practice you think is better.

I guess you should also define better as what you think is an improvement might be the exact opposite to most people. Like how socialism is better to the elite ruling class but hell for those farther down the food chain.

• Luckee August 19, 2011 / 5:53 pm

Bodie says the right wing’s guiding principle is that believing something makes it true whether or not there’s any factual support for it. Hence, belief trumps fact.

I responded to this fallacy and he ignored my response and just repeated his claim

Here is my response again. Bodie, will you answer this with facts and evidence? I can.

• Bodie August 19, 2011 / 8:29 pm

I really didn’t need my point demonstrated, Luckee, but thanks for doing so anyway.

• Luckee August 20, 2011 / 9:47 am

Bodie really is confused. I demonstrated my point which is that he didn’t make any sense at all and that everything he said was wrong and he refused to deal with a single thing I said but tried to twist it into me making his point. He wouldn’t even admit that people who practice abstinence do not get pregnant after announcing that abstinence doesn’t work.

This is what I see from people like this. They make up things and then when asked to explain them or defend them refuse to do so but claim that they have made their point.

And the only point they ever make is that they depend on lies and feed on hate and don’t give a rat’s patootie about truth or fact.

• Bodie August 20, 2011 / 1:32 pm

No, you demonstrated my point that belief trumps fact for conservatives. Hell, you did exactly what Rick Perry did: When confronted with facts that disprove your belief, you simply reiterate your belief. Like I said, I didn’t need a demonstration, but if you want to continue providing it, feel free. Be aware, though, that when it comes to showcasing the Belief Trumps Fact philosophy, Mark just outdid you, so you may want to either step it up or bow out.

• Luckee August 20, 2011 / 4:31 pm

So what you are admitting is that you can’t tell us of one single pregnancy in a woman who did not have sex or one single case of an STD in someone who practiced abstinence, but you can still claim that abstinence doesn’t work.

And you are right. It doesn’t. Abstinence does not work to keep birds out of jet engines. Abstinence does not work to increase gas mileage. Abstinence does not work to help learn a new language. Abstinence does not work to program computers. We can all come up with a lot of areas where abstinence doesn’t work.

But if we are talking about preventing pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases then abstinence works better than anything else anyone has ever come up with.

And Bodie knows this so he just refused to answer the questions.

Too bad he is so clueless he can’t realize that when he insists that abstinence does not work he is the one putting his belief system ahead of facts.

• Bodie August 21, 2011 / 12:09 am

You have reading comprehension problems, don’t you, Luckee? Are you related to tiredoflibbs?

Just as a hint: The audience laughed at RIck Perry’s response for a reason. Because his response was foolish and very stupid–yeah, “it works” so well that Texas is #3 in the nation for teenage pregnancy. So why do you think it’s a good idea to do the exact same thing Perry did?

Take your time and think about it, OK?

• Leonard L'Farte August 19, 2011 / 10:53 am

As I said down-thread. I used to stop by here fairly frequently, but haven’t commented in a long time. I went back in the archives to check out the two you mention. I don’t find too many posts from bodie, and certainly nothing of substance, but thomas certainly is a piece of work. What puzzles me is why anyone here would give him the time of day. The guy is clearly a couple sandwiches short of a picnic.

2. Leonard L'Farte August 19, 2011 / 10:27 am

To paraphrase a common talk radio phrase; long time reader, first time commentor. Well, not entirely true, as I used to comment at Blogs for Bush several years ago under another screen name. But blogging has been the farthest thing from my mind the last few years as I’ve been burning the candle at both ends just to make ends meet. My full-time job at a small bank, a part-time job and selling odds and ends on e-Bay hasn’t left time for much else.

How quickly things can change. Within in a two week span, I was laid off from the bank, where I had worked for 27 years, and the Borders Book Store where I worked part-time closed. Suddenly I had time to spare, since no one wants to hire a fat, balding 53-year-old. I recalled this site from when I posted here before. Some of you may remember my black sheep brother, Charles Ledford. He always hated our last name, which, admittedly has a lot of built-in joke lines — but no worse than Anthony Weiner. And Charles has always been a big Robert Redford fan; hence Ledford. I’ve always suspected he had a different father. Anyway, I’m not as far right as Charles is left, but he and I definitely don’t see eye to eye on most things. I guess I’d describe myself as Conservative Libertarian — sort of Ron Paul minus the kookiness.

Anyway, looking forward to joining the discussion here. IMO, we’re heading into one of the most critical periods in American history.

• Sparkly August 19, 2011 / 10:41 am

Welcome, Leonard. Perhaps Charles is too sensitive. Would he be willing to come back and explain his politics? We might enjoy a sibling debate. Get it out of the way before Thanksgiving so you can have a nice family dinner.

• Leonard L'Farte August 19, 2011 / 10:48 am

“Family dinner”? That’s hilarious. Chuck and I live 6 states apart, which is not nearly far enough. We rarely speak to each other, much less discuss politics. Even when we were kids, we didn’t agree on much. I think the main difference is that I have a conscience, and he doesn’t. He thinks primarily in terms of fair and unfair, while I think primarily in terms of right and wrong. Not much common ground there.

• Sparkly August 19, 2011 / 11:52 am

Did you ever try to talk about what works and what doesn’t work? That gets the left in a tizzy too.

• Leonard L'Farte August 19, 2011 / 12:03 pm

Sparkly,

I have yet to meet a Liberal, family or otherwise, who was able to articulate what it is about Liberalism that works. The conversation always descends into either name calling or fair vs. unfair. You see that dynamic at play on this blog.

• Pericles Parnassus August 19, 2011 / 12:28 pm

Shesh, do the two of you want to get a room?

3. Fell the Fang August 19, 2011 / 12:27 pm

I have never understood why some people would choose collectivism over individualism. What is the attraction?
    Why do people like Thomas and bodie want others to think for them? Take care of them?

Why?

• Leonard L'Farte August 19, 2011 / 12:37 pm

Why do people like Thomas and bodie want others to think for them?

I think the answer to that question is pretty obvious. Just sayin’.

4. Green Mountain Boy August 19, 2011 / 1:00 pm

“bodie, could you expand on that a little, because, except for the extreme fringe Right, I’ve always viewed it as the other way around.”

Leonard, what in your view is the “fringe right”?

• Gidney N. Kloid August 19, 2011 / 1:20 pm

I don’t know about Leonard, but I think i know the answer; “Fringe writers”

• Leonard L'Farte August 19, 2011 / 1:51 pm

That’s a good question, Green. I’d say everyone to the right of you might qualify, heh.

Seriously, the Left paints everyone to the right of Marx as “fringe Right”, so it doesn’t really matter what I think. I used to think that one of the hallmarks of the fringe (on both sides of the political spectrum) was the adherence to conspiracy theories, but, according to some polls I’ve seen, about a third of Democrats believe that 9/11 was an inside job, and I don’t believe that a third of Democrats are fringe……..on second thought…….

• Green Mountain Boy August 19, 2011 / 2:03 pm

Leonard, it was a honest question. And yes it does matter some. Quite a few of the conservaties that post here would consider me among the “fringe”.

I am just interested in what you consider the fringe right to be. It would help frame the debate.

• Leonard L'Farte August 19, 2011 / 2:39 pm

Having not studied your comments, I wouldn’t want to pass judgement yet. Why do you think some Conservatives who post here think you are extreme?

Some people, probably a majority on the Left, believe most Evangelical Christians are extreme, and yet, rarely will you see the Left describe Islamic jihadists as extreme, so “extreme” is in the eye of the beholder. I guess if you want an honest answer, I’d say that some of the marks of an extremist are (and this applies to both the Left and the Right): single issue folks; conspiracy theorists (people who see conspiracies under every rock; people whose minds are so closed that they will ignore easily confirmable facts; certain militia groups. I’m sure I could come up with some more if I thought about it.

• Sparkly August 19, 2011 / 3:50 pm

You know what’s really not extreme?

A church which rewrites the Bible to paint Jesus as a black man racially persecuted by white Europeans and which preaches ongoing unending hatred of all whites because this is what Jesus wants.

The mainstream media never found this extreme at all.

5. Green Mountain Boy August 19, 2011 / 2:47 pm

I have been accused of a couple of those things. 😛 Won’t matter in the end anyway. Not a conspiracy type of person. Except for that moon landing thing. Want to see it for myself.)

• Leonard L'Farte August 19, 2011 / 4:17 pm

And quite frankly, it’s not illegal in this country to be on the fringe — at least not yet. I know some fringe types that I’d trust with my back, and some mainstream types that I wouldn’t.

• neocon1 August 20, 2011 / 5:49 pm

leonard

I remember your brother, he is one to forget.