Poll Reveals Americans Understand Big Goverment Scam

From Rasmussen:

…A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 71% of American Adults say the bigger problem with welfare programs in the United States is that too many people get welfare who should not be getting it. Just 18% say the bigger issue is that too many people who should receive welfare do not get it, while another 11% are not sure.

Republicans (91%) and adults not affiliated with either political party (70%) believe much more strongly than Democrats (51%) that the bigger problem with welfare is that too many ineligible people are on it.

Fifty-nine percent (59%) of all Americans think immigrants who follow the law and enter the United States legally should have to wait three years or more before collecting welfare benefits, including 31% who believe they should wait more than five years. Seventeen percent (17%) think three years is enough, while 11% prefer a five-year waiting period…

What is the scam?  Get as many people as possible hooked on Big Government hand outs, then claim that any proposed cut is a cruel, inhuman cut-off of someone who otherwise will die.  Use these in alternating efforts to continually grow government so that you can get ever richer and more powerful.  For the longest time, this worked…but this poll indicates that more and more people are understanding that massive numbers of people are on the dole who really shouldn’t be.

While I have no way to test my theory – it would take a large staff and a pretty big budget to do it – I firmly assert that at least half of the people receiving government benefits should be kicked off and forced to get back to work.  As I’ve said elsewhere, I’ve got a pretty high standard for disability…no one will ever be able to erase from my memory my late colleague who was a wheelchair-bound victim of a horrific genetic disease who couldn’t even use all the fingers of her hands and yet managed to hold down a 40 hour a week job until just a few months before her death.

If she could work, then most people on disability can work.  Period.  End of story.  No, shut up you lazy SOBs with your whines about “stress”…get back to work and get off my wallet.  I’ve got stress, too – a great deal of which stems from having to get up and go to work in the morning while millions of people are on their backside watching daytime television and waiting for their EBT card to be re-filled.  In my view, you’re only excused from working if you can’t work…can’t get out of bed, can’t stand up for more than a few minutes, can’t sit down for more than a few minutes, are blind…missing your legs or arms…something like that (and this is Biblical – In fact, when we were with you, we instructed you that if anyone was unwilling to work, neither should that one eat – 2 Thessalonians 3:10 – so don’t any of you liberals try to throw Christian charity at me…I know the command to charity; but charity isn’t the act of supporting layabouts who can otherwise support themselves).

A great deal of the reform of America will be re-imposing the requirement of hard work.  Hard, dirty work, at that.  A nation which will not engage in hard work is a nation which will die – it is really just as simple as that.  Each person is required to labor to the limit of the talents God has provided him or her – those who can do much, must do so; those who can do little, must still do at least that…and those who really can do nothing, must be provided with every last thing they need from those of us who can.  But there are no free rides – if you are living off the wealth of others then it must only be because there is no other way for you to live.  A complete review of all those on government aid should be done – excluding only those on social security retirement and military pensions (you get SS because you earned it by working…you get your military pension because you earned it by risking your life over many years for your nation) – everyone on government aid should be forced to justify their dependency.  Tell us why you can’t work – show us your complete incapacity for any work whatsoever.  If that is indeed the case, then you can count on us to provide all you need…but if you can work, at all, then you’d better get to work.

Enough is enough – there really is no free lunch and it is time we called a halt to this liberal nonsense.

38 thoughts on “Poll Reveals Americans Understand Big Goverment Scam

1. Cluster August 23, 2011 / 10:14 am

This should not come as a shock. Whenever you have a large central bureaucracy, you will find waste, incompetence and corruption, it’s inherent in the system and this is what the liberals just don’t get. We need to empower the states and counties more with the administration of welfare, and all government needs to more localized and targeted. By doing that, we will have more efficient and effective government, and a more constitutional government. Imagine that – those old dead white guys were pretty smart.

• js August 23, 2011 / 12:59 pm

i take it…by welfare…you include all entitlement programs…ie…SS…Medicare..Medicaid…and…federal employee retirement programs….

start by cutting the retirement programs offered to federal employee’s…and put them on a 401k plan…like the rest of us…that would clear up a huge bit of future expenses and start to reign in our national debt by cutting a huge part of the retirements that are paid for with tax dollars…

• Cluster August 23, 2011 / 1:07 pm

bozo,

Are you at all interested in actually getting the help to those people who need it? Or is it just a matter of a pie chart reflecting overall expenditures, regardless of the results?

• Mark Edward Noonan August 23, 2011 / 1:41 pm

Bozo,

That is probably just welfare…I’m also on about disability, pensions and all forms of aid for people who aren’t working. I’ll bet half of it is wasted…and by allowing things like that to continue, we’re actually taking away from the resources we could provide to those truly in need. But, you go ahead…you just keep defending the system so that some drunken layabout can get his “disability” check while a working, single-mom of dignity has to keep struggling to make ends meet…

• RetiredSpook August 23, 2011 / 1:42 pm

RB,

If liberal rags like the LA Times abandon their Obama kneepads, he is TOAST.

• watsonredux August 23, 2011 / 5:57 pm

Actually, Spook, that article is typical of the author, Andrew Malcolm, who is a columnist for the Times. You would like him. His style is about the same as Mark’s–conservatives can never do anything wrong and everything bad is because of liberals.

Maybe the Times isn’t as liberal as you think it is. You should try reading it sometime. There’s this thing called the Internet…

2. watsonredux August 23, 2011 / 6:09 pm

Mark said there should be a “complete review of all those on government aid should be done – excluding only those on social security retirement and military pensions (you get SS because you earned it by working…you get your military pension because you earned it by risking your life over many years for your nation)”.

How convenient to exclude social security. Oh, right, Mark is counting on social security to bail him out in his old age; therefore it’s a justifiable expense and isn’t an entitlement.

But Mark also said, “I’m also on about disability, pensions and all forms of aid for people who aren’t working.” You know, social security also includes disability insurance. Is that okay because people earned it? Or does that not count? Just wondering where you draw the line.

My suspicion is that as Mark nears the age of 60 and realizes that he will have no options for health care other than Medicare when he hits 65, then he will decide that Medicare is also something he earned and is therefore entitled to it, just like NeoClown rationalized to himself that he isn’t a moocher, as explained to us the other day.

• Cluster August 23, 2011 / 6:16 pm

watson, thank you once again for proving beyond a shadow of doubt that liberals have no interest in actually governing this country responsibly.

• RetiredSpook August 23, 2011 / 7:27 pm

Come on, Watson; you can be that f’ing stupid. Your average American working from age 20 to age 65 earns around $1.7 million — high school graduates a little less, college graduates a little more. 12.4% of that is paid into Social Security via withholding. You’re saying that someone who has paid $210,800 into a system HASN’T earned the right to participate in that program upon retirement? Please explain your logic behind that.

• RetiredSpook August 23, 2011 / 7:38 pm

BTW, Watson, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that Medicare is FREE. That same average American pays nearly $50,000 into the Medicare systems over their career, and then pays $1,320 per year beginning at age 65 for basic Medicare, PLUS a hefty premium for Medicare supplement insurance (the year before my dad died, his and my mother’s combined annual supplement premium was $4,500/year, and there were still co-pays on top of that, PLUS the premium for Part D.

• neocon1 August 23, 2011 / 7:39 pm

Come on, Watson; you can be that f’ing stupid.

he CAN be, and he IS !

hope the shadow doesnt see your post, it will be toast by the host 🙂

Isn’t “f’ing” short for “fricking”?//Moderator/Shadow

• neocon1 August 23, 2011 / 8:17 pm

only when some one else says it seems when it is me the shadow (aka AMA) considers it to be the bad way,

BFD = big freekin deal
        JFnK = john freekin kerry
        POS = piece of salami.
        and so on and so forth
        FUBO = a web site that sells Obummer ware.
        ghetto = raaaaaacist go figure that one out WTF??
        WTF = what the freek
        🙂

• tiredoflibbs August 23, 2011 / 8:20 pm

BTW, once an individual starts receiving Soc. Sec. he/she are AUTOMATICALLY enrolled into Medicare AND THEY CANNOT OPT OUT, unless they opt out of Soc. Sec. as well.

Once you are enrolled into Medicare, in most cases, it becomes the primary policy while any others are secondary. AND as a Soc. Sec. recipient, there are “premiums” associated with Medicare as well that are paid from your Soc. Sec. funds.

But leave it to watty, and again fail to see the BIG PICTURE. Moochers are those who do not pay into a system and then receive benefits.

• neocon1 August 23, 2011 / 8:22 pm

There is NO opting out period.

• neocon1 August 23, 2011 / 8:30 pm

tired
        Plus they TAX all 3 of my pensions……. 😦

• watsonredux August 23, 2011 / 9:00 pm

No, Spook, I just find the answers around here extremely simplistic and hypocritical. And f’ing stupid.

“We just need to cut the waste and fraud!” Yeah, like that’s going to do that job. It won’t. Social Security and Medicare account for nearly 50% of federal outlays. Welfare is, what, 5% or less? If there’s so much waste and fraud in SS and Medicare, then some of you folks are among the waste and fraud. Neo? Well, never mind, we know the answer. Tired? Spook? Which one of you is waste and fraud?

You all have stereotyped the kinds of people who are abusing entitlements, and surprise, surprise, it’s always somebody else. But guess what? You will all take advantage of entitlements. Every single one of you. All you guys every do is rant about the “looters” and “moochers” and the freeloaders. And yet, you don’t think twice about your own entitlements. Because without them you’re screwed. GMB is on here everyday bitching about paying for you guys.

But let’s return to Mark’s main point. I happen to have a close friend whose husband didn’t wake up one morning. He left behind a wife and two small children. The family receives social security disability. Is she the kind of person Mark is talking about when he says, “If she could work, then most people on disability can work. Period. End of story. No, shut up you lazy SOBs with your whines about ‘stress’…get back to work and get off my wallet.”? They paid their social security just like you.

And what about unemployment? We all pay into unemployment insurance. But to hear you guys talk, anyone who receives unemployment is a looter.

State disability insurance is taken out of my check every month. But according to Mark, if I can wiggle my fingers then I shouldn’t receive a dime!

And just to clear up your little example above, individuals do not pay 12.4% of their income to social security. They pay 6.2% of their wages up to $106,800. So the actual amount in your example would be $105,400–assuming the social security tax rate and income cap was the same for the entire 45 years. Of course, it wasn’t, so the actual amount paid is less.

• watsonredux August 23, 2011 / 9:01 pm

Spook said, “BTW, Watson, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that Medicare is FREE.”

Wrong. I am under the correct impression that folks receive more in benefits than they pay in taxes. That’s a problem that MUST be addressed. And yet the Tea Partiers rant, “Keep government out of my Medicare!”

• Bodie August 24, 2011 / 1:39 am

“I’m just trying to figure out which entitlements are okay with conservatives and which are not.”

It’s not complicated: Stuff they get is OK, stuff other people get is not.

• neocon1 August 23, 2011 / 8:26 pm

like the 48% who pay NO federal tax? and the 53% who pay LESS than 3% of all taxes……all good donks eased on to da plantation……Nooooobody has seeen the trouble I seen………..

• watsonredux August 23, 2011 / 9:03 pm

There you go lying again, Neo. Payroll taxes taken out for social security and Medicare are not income tax.

• Green Mountain Boy August 23, 2011 / 9:04 pm

I am on here bitching obout paying for these guys? LOLzer. Where when? I will never recieve a penny from ss or medicare. My religious beliefs proscibe this. It is gambling. It puts me on the fringe, a place I am happy to be.

• neocon1 August 23, 2011 / 9:19 pm

waspstingdouche

Payroll taxes taken out for social security and Medicare are not income tax.

EARNED INCOME TAX CREDIT
        do TRY to educate your self MORON!!

• watsonredux August 23, 2011 / 9:40 pm

Oh, sorry, GMB, you don’t bitch about your pals. Just everyone else.

• watsonredux August 23, 2011 / 9:47 pm

Clown, if you take into account all kinds of taxes, a family making $11,000 pays about $1,400 in taxes. A family making $30,000 pays about $7,000 in taxes. But I realize thinking in terms of all taxes is too much for you to grasp.

But here’s another good one especially for you, Clown. Of that 47% who pay no federal income tax, about one in four don’t pay because they’re old, retired people like you who’s primary means of support is social security, and therefore they have no federal income tax liability. But in your mind, they’re a bunch of welfare moochers.

• neocon1 August 23, 2011 / 10:01 pm

Update: The chart above is from the Joint Economic Committe (based on 2006 IRS data), showing the percentages of federal personal income tax paid by different groups of taxpayers:

The top 1% of taxpayers pay about 40% of all income taxes,
        the top 10% pay 71%,

and the top 50% pay 97% of all taxes.

The bottom 50% pays less than 3% of all income taxes paid.

• watsonredux August 23, 2011 / 10:29 pm

Clown, federal income tax is not the only tax that people pay. I know you won’t be able to understand.

• tiredoflibbs August 24, 2011 / 12:07 pm

watty, these people who pay no federal taxes receive their medicare and SS taxes back in the form of the EIC payments at tax filing time (approx. $3000). So in effect they pay nothing for those benefits that they will receive and pay ZERO taxes.

Again, watty you fail to look at the big picture.

• Mark Edward Noonan August 23, 2011 / 9:58 pm

Watson,

I still have more than 20 years before I can retire – and I’m only looking forward, at this point, to about $1,500.00 per month, with a warning from SS that 5 years later SS will only have enough to pay 76% of that. And the thing is, I have paid – this is not me asking for anything I haven’t put in for.

My complaint is those who haven’t paid getting benefits…and/or getting benefits they shouldn’t obtain. There are a massive number of completely fake disability claims – and an even larger number where it is partially fake (sure, maybe someone is hurt a bit – but they can probably work at least a little, thus reducing the need for a government pay out). For crying out loud, I’ve personally known a drug addict who got SS disability; 1,200.00 per month, as I recall, because he couldn’t work…but he could wander around the country and spend his day out and about…

You know full well that there are plenty of people who game the system…and who milk it for all its worth. Well, the cow has run dry – we’re bankrupt and everyone who can work, even if just a little, will have to work…or not eat.

• neocon1 August 23, 2011 / 10:04 pm

Mark

you can never convince a blind indoctrinated drone to see the light.

3. Green Mountain Boy August 23, 2011 / 10:00 pm

And yet here you are screaming at folks that want social security to be solvent when they are of age to recieve it. Strange, no?

• watsonredux August 23, 2011 / 10:26 pm

Mark, of course I know some people game the system. And if we can eliminate waste and fraud in a cost-effective manner, go for it. But it’s not going to unbankrupt us.

I guess I get tired of this simplistic idea that if we just cut the waste and fraud, our problems will be solved. Here in California, Arnold Schwarzenegger was elected governor primarily on his promise to find “waste, fraud and abuse” in state government. Two years later, he had to admit that, “We did not find the kind of abuse that I thought there is.”

Meanwhile, the biggest elephants in the room are Social Security and Medicare, which account for nearly 50% of federal expenditures. If you believe that we’re bankrupt, then those programs are bankrupt, too. And yet, your only collective response is: we paid for it, therefore we’re entitled to it. You’re simply not serious about solving the problem at hand.

And if you seriously believe that “at least half of the people receiving government benefits should be kicked off and forced to get back to work,” then at least one of your followers–Clown, Spook or tired–is going back to work. Which one will step up?

• neocon1 August 23, 2011 / 10:41 pm

watsdouche

Me, I work EVERY day,
        I just hired another man and have more work than w can handle.
        Just signed 90K of new work this week.
        I still pay into the system, my wife pays into the system, my 3 sons pay into the system, my business pays into the system, my employees pay into the system, our six vehicles pay into the system, my real estate pays into the system, our shop pays into the system.

how about you LOSER LOUDMOUTH?, what do you pay asshat??

• neocon1 August 23, 2011 / 10:45 pm

watsdouche

you hate your fellow Americans yet defend this……

The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR), a conservative advocacy group that favors tighter immigration laws, argues that the answer is clear: illegal aliens cost U.S. taxpayers more than $100 billion each year.

Jack Martin, director of special projects for FAIR, says the group is still working on its estimate, but believes undocumented workers leave taxpayers with a fat bill, considering that the government spends money on the workers, and they almost never pay income taxes.

“The study of the fiscal effects of illegal immigration clearly demonstrates that it is a burden on the American taxpayer,” says Martin. More forceful implementation of immigration laws could save each U.S. household “in the neighborhood of a couple of thousand dollars a year.”

• RetiredSpook August 23, 2011 / 11:23 pm

I still work full time too.

And their employer pays a matching 6.2%, or in my case, as a self-employed individual, pay both the employer and employee portions.

Not as much less as you might think. The earnings ceiling began going up in 1983, and started not much below the figure I used ($37,800/year) to arrive at the $1.7 million lifetime figure.

4. Green Mountain Boy August 24, 2011 / 1:25 am

More big government in action or inaction, what ever you prefer. Sure wish Illinois had a govenor like Rick Perry. While I am wishing for the impossible I wish Illinois had the kind of people that would elect Rick Perry.