Let’s look at this pResident’s accomplishments:
- Government takeover of 17% of the economy and your health care.
- Doubling the number of Americans on food stamps.
- Spanish soap operas to encourage Hispanics to sign up for food stamps.
Since the beginning Obama intended to reverse the welfare reforms made by the Republican majority when Clinton was president. Those reforms freed millions of Americans from their government dependency. This is not the direction in which Obama wants to travel.
The Obama administration via the Department of Health and Human Services has essentially rewritten the rules established by the welfare reform law of 1996. The new policy, as per the Obama administration, will no longer require welfare recipients to work in order to maintain their benefits.
(For those who cannot connect the dots)FROM THE MEMO:
Waivers will be granted only for provisions related to section 402.
Of the roughly 35 sections of the TANF law, only one is listed as waiveable under section 1115. This is section 402.
Section 402 describes state plans—reports that state governments must file to HHS describing the actions they will undertake to comply with the many requirements established in the other sections of the TANF law. The authority to waive section 402 provides the option to waive state reporting requirements only, not to overturn the core requirements of the TANF program contained in the other sections of the TANF law.
The new Obama dictate asserts that because the work requirements, established in section 407, are mentioned as an item that state governments must report about in section 402, all the work requirements can be waived. This removes the core of the TANF program; TANF becomes a blank slate that HHS bureaucrats and liberal state bureaucrats can rewrite at will – or mealy mouthed words as “innovation”..
Therefore, states and other bureaucracies can DEFINE WORK as they attempted before but were overridden.
Over the years, the definition of “work” began to deteriorate and in 2005, Congress tried to reign in the definition of what constitutes “work” in order to receive welfare. Barack Obama, a Senator at that time, was opposed to this effort – no surprise there.
Here is a SENATE report as to what states have attempted to define as work:
Some of these include:
1. Bed rest
2. Personal care activities
6. Motivational reading
7. Smoking cessation
8. Weight loss promotion
9. Participating in parent teacher meetings
10. Helping a friend or relative with household tasks and errands
These are what casper tried to pass off as “innovation”. How Sec. of HHS can grant waivers to states that have these activities (or whatever else) in their innovative plans (Section 402).
So, when he says “moving in the right direction”, I guess this is it – EXPANDING the dependent class!
Question is, does this pResident have the authority to do this – reverse law WITHOUT CONGRESS! I mean this has never stopped him before!!
The Heritage Foundation reminds us of the growing list of Obama administration actions that it has taken to circumvent the legislative process.
- Even though the Democrat-controlled Senate rejected the President’s cap-and-trade plan, his Environmental Protection Agency classified carbon dioxide, the compound that sustains vegetative life, as a pollutant so that it could regulate it under the Clean Air Act.
- After the Employee Free Choice Act—designed to bolster labor unions’ dwindling membership rolls—was defeated by Congress, the National Labor Relations Board announced a rule that would implement “snap elections” for union representation, limiting employers’ abilities to make their case to workers and virtually guaranteeing a higher rate of unionization at the expense of workplace democracy.
- After an Internet regulation proposal failed to make it through Congress, the Federal Communications Commission announced that it would regulate the Web anyway, even despite a federal court’s ruling that it had no authority to do so.
- Although Congress consistently has barred the Department of Education from getting involved in curriculum matters, the Administration has offered waivers for the No Child Left Behind law in exchange for states adopting national education standards, all without congressional authorization.
- Since it objects to existing federal immigration laws, the Administration has decided to apply those laws selectively and actively prevent the state (like Arizona) from enforcing those laws themselves.
- Rather than push Congress to repeal federal laws against marijuana use, the Department of Justice (DOJ) simply decided it would no longer enforce those laws.
- DOJ also has announced that it would stop enforcing the Defense of Marriage Act or defending it from legal challenge rather than seeking legislative recourse.
These are the actions of a RULER, not a leader. It’s too bad more Americans haven’t focused on the words of Valerie Jarrett – the head of Obama’s transition team – days before his inauguration: “We will be ready to RULE from day one.”