Our Liberal Future: a Vision

Here’s what life will be like for, say, me in 2041:

I’ll have died at the age of 77 of an easily treatable disease which I could not get care for because the National Health Service didn’t have sufficient resources to treat me before the disease went too far.

I’ll have been living from the age of 67 forward in a one-room, government-supplied retirement home which I was forced in to because given the way the economy developed I was never able to secure enough wealth to replace the home I lost in the wake of the 2008 financial crash.

My 401k had been destroyed years previously.  First by a government program to start taxing it, secondly by the massive inflation which was necessary to get our annual deficit to become 15% of GDP.

While I officially retired at the age of 67 and started to collect my Social Security (worth about 50% less than it is today because during that bout of inflation the government kept insisting, in spite of rising food and fuel prices, that inflation was non-existent and thus SS payments remained constant in dollar amounts while going down in actual value), I actually quit work at the age of 60 because I found out that by a varied combination of government benefits, I could actually get more income by sitting on my duff than by working 40 hours a week.  At that point, it stopped bothering me so much that a cheeseburger costs $12 because Uncle Sam was picking up the tab.  Until, that is, they banned the purchase of cheeseburgers in the interests of cutting National Health Service costs.

I did get some exercise from the age of about 57 on because the government mandates on fuel efficiency priced me out of automobile ownership.  This resulted in a great deal of walking on my part as the inefficient bus system provided by government didn’t get me to where I needed to be when I needed to be there.  I moved out of the suburbs and in to the city center because at least there were stores closer to home:  on the other hand, I had to pay higher prices for the basics because government policy was to forbid “big box” stores in the area because they provided “unfair” competition to the small shops.

I found as I entered my 50’s that food was harder to obtain – the price kept rising and there kept being less of it.  Various agricultural policies were taking more farm land out of production while various taxes were making the production and consumption of things like beef out of the question.  I was given Supplementary Food Insurance which allowed me to buy whole grain bread, government cheese and all the potatoes I could eat.

I got a boost to my health as I gave up cigarette smoking when the banned it outdoors, where I did most of my smoking.  Also, even buying generic smokes at the Indian reservation was running me $80 a carton.  On the other hand, I found out that ‘Capulco Gold Lights were an admirable substitute, though they did make things a bit hazy; on the plus side, I was permitted to fire up a joint even indoors at work!

It is where we’re heading, people, if things go well.  In other words, if the government manages to avoid complete fiscal collapse, this is how it will be.  Unless you are already quite rich or you manage to get juiced in with a high level, government job, this is what life will be like.  We can still avoid this, but only if we crush the left in 2014 and 2016.  If they win in both those years, then get ready for your government-rationed health care, food and housing…as people eke out a miserable, impoverished existence while liberals (living in guarded enclaves) endlessly tell us how great they are making things for us.

45 thoughts on “Our Liberal Future: a Vision

1. 02casper November 30, 2012 / 8:06 pm

Mark,
    One of the things I like about this blog is reading your predictions. They are almost always wrong. Which is good because you usually are predicting that bad things are going to happen unless you get things your way.

What’s sad about this one is how you are blaming the government for all of your future problems. You could take some personal responsibility for your actions, but then you wouldn’t be able to play the victim, would you?

• M. Noonan December 1, 2012 / 1:18 am

You just enjoy your Bolshevik potatoes…

• irisspirit December 3, 2012 / 3:02 pm

Every now and then when the blog has fallen into a pattern of personal attacks and responses instead of any effort at discussion, Moderators must step in and reboot. Keep on topic and remember, this is supposed to be a place to discuss ideas, not just insult each other. //Moderator

• tiredoflibbs December 1, 2012 / 12:00 pm

cappy: “One of the things I like about this blog is reading your predictions. They are almost always wrong.”

wow, cappy as if prediction is an exact science. If everyone was correct in their predictions we could stop mistakes before they happen. At least Mark makes an attempt as creating discussions via his predictions.

Now, let’s look at you. For someone who gets most of his “facts” wrong, and consistently proven so, you have no room to talk about someone else. Once you are proven wrong, instead of remaining and defending your “conclusions” or “presentations” (really just regurgitation of dumbed down talking points) like Mark does, you run away and hide until another similar thread arises and you repeat your faulty processes all over again.

Just like the last thread in which I proved you wrong again, you predictably vanished from the blog.

Pathetic.

• Amazona December 1, 2012 / 2:03 pm

casper snivels about PREDICTIONS being wrong, but he can’t even get HISTORY right.

One can expect guesses about what might happen in the future to be flawed, but the inability to understand what has already happened shows a level of stupidity that is hard to explain.

Remember, this is a person employed by a school system (I find it harder and harder to call him a “teacher”) who actually believes that if you believe in following our Constitution you are in favor of reinstating slavery and not allowing women to vote.

And tells trusting young students this ridiculous lie…………

2. dbschmidt November 30, 2012 / 11:03 pm

Quite sad that the “history” teacher who knows so little about the true history of this country pipes in with his “bashing government” response; nevertheless, right on queue. The hyperinflation of the Weimar Republic surprised them also even though that was aided by the treaties imposed on them. At a spry 52, I grew up learning mechanics and the use of tools—I find that those just 10 or so years younger than me have no idea how to do anything on their own. Growing food was another staple as was limited animal husbandry. I am self-sufficient and ready when paper money is only good for starting a fire.

I am not a prepper per se but I am never caught without my hurricane supplies in a storm. Maybe you are also but somehow I doubt that and I feel for the kids who will suffer because of your lack of delivering a proper education in lieu of unions to get you a soon to be worthless pension. I am sure that one of the great things to know when in the middle of a blizzard is how to properly apply a condom or properly use the words like “racism”, and/or “bigot” properly.

When it bad enough to add barbed-wire (or Dannert Wire) to my split picket fence—I will always keep an eye out for friends but will also keep an ever vigilant eye out for those who failed to heed the warnings. Hope that condom keeps you warm in the blizzard that is coming our way when the producers have had enough.

• 02casper November 30, 2012 / 11:46 pm

dbschmidt,
      I’m curious as to what you think I should or shouldn’t be teaching my students. Please be specific. Also, what do you consider “true history”.

• Retired Spook December 1, 2012 / 1:52 am

Casper,

The thing that has always puzzled me most about you is how you can believe what you believe given how you say you teach. Why do you not just teach what you believe? Are you embarrassed to admit to your students what you believe? Do you say to your students, what I’m teaching you is the truth, but I personally don’t believe the truth?

• dbschmidt December 1, 2012 / 2:57 am

Tell me then what you believe and teach about the General Welfare clause of the Federal Government and how it applies towards State governments.

As I understand Article 1 [Legislative Branch] Section 8 [Powers of Congress] of the US Constitution defines what the enumerated duties of the Federal Government are while Amendment 10 [ratified December 15, 1791], which is also known as the States’ Rights Amendment, reinforces what is inside and outside the purview of the Federal government. The Constitution was written and ratified to both authorize and limit the powers of the Federal government and listed seventeen (17) enumerated duties which in part were reaffirmed with the Tenth amendment of the Declaration of Independence two years later. (BTW, none of which were General Welfare)

Yall’ think? If so then explain SS, Medicare, Medicaid and the coming ObamaCare. Have any insights into the “Revolution of 1937?”

Need some help from our founding fathers?

• dbschmidt December 1, 2012 / 3:01 am

BTW, Butthead Casper,
        The truth is the truth and does not need a disclaimer. Please try to keep up. You are selling your students ‘up the river’ if you rely on government sites for anything these days. Ask politely and I can provide accurate documents beyond reproach. Doubt I will to you however.

• 02casper December 1, 2012 / 9:24 am

Spook,
        As I’ve stated before, I don’t talk politics in the classroom, and frankly I don’t know many teachers that do. Outside of a couple of close friends, I couldn’t even tell you who in my building is a Democrat or Republican. It doesn’t come up in everyday conversations.
        Most of what is taught in the classroom has little or nothing to do with politics. Reading, writing, and math are about learning various skill sets. Much of what I do is to help students find and use information.

• 02casper December 1, 2012 / 9:31 am

dbschmidt,
        I would love o see some of the accurate documents beyond reproach that you have access to. Please provide links to some of them.

BTW, one of my favorite sites is this:

It is the biggest collection of Franklin’s writings on the web.

• Amazona December 1, 2012 / 2:07 pm

casper, you have told us that you “teach” the Constitution to your junior high students.

You have also argued quite strenuously with me on this blog regarding your conviction that believing in the Constitution as written means believing that we should return to slavery and deny women the vote.

If you believe this about the Constitution, and you “teach” the Constitution, then what, exactly, are you “teaching” your young students about what it means, and what it stands for?

This is not a rhetorical question. Do you teach them what you believe to be true?

• Retired Spook December 1, 2012 / 2:20 pm

Much of what I do is to help students find and use information.

• neocon01 December 1, 2012 / 2:41 pm

Much of what I do is to *** help students find and use information***.

my kids had lazy asses like you in school also……..so much for “teaching”
        read pages XYZ, & a test on it tomorrow.

• 02casper December 1, 2012 / 10:41 pm

Retired Spook December 1, 2012 at 2:20 pm #

Much of what I do is to help students find and use information.

“So, on information related to history, for example, do you help them find information that you agree with or information that is the truth?”

Information that is the truth.

• 02casper December 1, 2012 / 11:15 pm

Spook,
        One other point. When I express an opinion, I make sure that students understand that it is my opinion and it is ok for them to have a different opinion. For example, the other day a student asked me who I thought our greatest president was of all time. I responded with Washington and explained my reasoning.

• neocon01 December 1, 2012 / 12:55 pm

db

Amen to that!!

3. Cluster November 30, 2012 / 11:26 pm

Interesting report out today:

WASHINGTON (CBS DC) – The median net worth of American households has dropped to a 43-year low as the lower and middle classes appear poorer and less stable than they have been since 1969.

Do you think Barry cares? I hardly think so. In fact, he is now doubling down on stupid – wanting to raise taxes with zero spending cuts. Do you think Barry has a plan to reduce, or even cares about the 8% unemployment? You’re kidding yourself if you think he does. How about gas prices? I will guess we won’t see gas under $3 a gallon for the next four years.

It’s going to be tough sledding for the next four years and I really hope those who supported Obama suffer the most, because I can guarantee you that he doesn’t care. It’s long past time people start figuring that out.

• M. Noonan December 1, 2012 / 1:19 am

As long as they are in charge, liberals don’t give a hoot what happens to people…and, in fact, given that they don’t trust people to make real decisions about their own lives, they prefer us poor and dependent.

• irisspirit December 3, 2012 / 3:17 pm

Again Mark, you are so wrong. Why do you constantly put everyone into one box? Are all Republicans exactly the same and believe the same things? Or is there some individuality among those who call themselves conservatives or Republicans? That is one major error for conservatives, they believe that a person who considers themselves “liberal” all believe that everyone should be smoking pot, giving free housing to everyone, everyone should be eligible for food stamps and none of us believe in working for a living. No wonder the Republican party is shrinking by the day. We prefer you “poor and dependent”? What hogwash. On what do you base such a ridiculous statement? Your imagination works overtime. There are millions of us that are more liberal than you, and guess what? – we go to work everyday, raise well behaved and well educated children, give back to our churches and communities and care about what happens to our fellow man. Get a grip Mark – we are not what you apparently believe us to be. Who has prevented you to make real decisions about your own life? Frankly, I believe you have been your biggest impediment in making decisions – saying you are too old to try something new. You are not even 50 and yet you believe you have to continue in a “job” you obviously hate. It is never too late to do something new if you are willing to take the risk. You appear to be pretty intelligent in some ways (except in how you categorize people) and if there is something you really would love to try, for pete’s sake, go for it.

• tiredoflibbs December 3, 2012 / 10:13 pm

Really velma?

YAWN – nothing to contribute as usual – just more of your usual tirades that does not even come close to describing what Mark wrote.

• Amazona December 3, 2012 / 11:28 pm

Velma….ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

4. thetruthshallsetyoufree2012 November 30, 2012 / 11:59 pm

You forgot to mention mandatory abortions and one-world government, but otherwise, it was pretty funny recitation of paranoid right-wing talking points.

• dbschmidt December 1, 2012 / 2:58 am

Small, small stupid little individual. Go away.

• 01canadianobserver December 1, 2012 / 8:06 am

Yes, go away, truth; we at B4V would rather live in total fear and ignorance. Our boogeyman is liberal and is out to destroy us. Don’t bother us with common sense facts, we don’t want to hear them. Vamoose!

• Cluster December 1, 2012 / 9:19 am

CO,

I, and most conservatives and certainly the ones here, live in REALVILLE. The federal government has added over $6 trillion in debt in just the last four years, high unemployment has seemingly become a new norm, as has high gas prices and high utility costs, higher taxes are just around the corner, and the federal government is soon to completely change healthcare and nobody knows for sure what will happen. Worse yet, this is all by design by the liberal president, so it’s truly bizarre to me that people like you can’t wrap your distorted, inbred little mind around these dismal realities and prefer instead to chastise those who do.

• Cluster December 1, 2012 / 12:24 pm

Why did this not resonate with voters in the same manner that the acrid comments make by men like Todd Akin did?

Do you suppose it could be the media? Who are overwhelmingly supportive of Obama.

There are zero economic headwinds in the right direction, in fact just the opposite, and GOP governors have recently been elected in 37 of the 50 states, so I would rethink this mandate of yours.

• M. Noonan December 1, 2012 / 12:28 pm

All of that and unicorns with skittles! That is what our Great Guiding Light; our Leader and Teacher, Barack Obama is bringing us…

• neocon01 December 1, 2012 / 12:59 pm

forkers sneaking back in?

cO….read arguing with idiots and you will understand us……(you are the idiot the book referrers to)

• neocon01 December 1, 2012 / 1:04 pm

calhoun epitaph BS, AH. BFD

complete nonsense coupled with anti religious bigotry……nice job forker

Hitlery? just your style, another marxist loser married to a filthy classless white trash pig.
        you must be soo proud

• thetruthshallsetyoufree2012 December 1, 2012 / 2:39 pm

“Do you suppose it could be the media?”

Blaming the media for the American people’s rejection of your platform, your outlook, and your attempts to redefine reality is most assuredly a winning strategy.

Just for fun, go read the derangement cataloged at Grandpa’s Mail. You’ll see that the only difference between that stuff and Mark’s post is that the stuff at Grandpa’s Mail ends with “…and that’s why we need you to give us money!” That grifting is a natural extension of sowing paranoia.

• neocon01 December 1, 2012 / 2:48 pm

troofee

only 1/2 of the voting public and many of those on your side were cheats.

NEXT?

• thetruthshallsetyoufree2012 December 1, 2012 / 2:54 pm

Aahhhhh, the mewling of an extremely sore loser. Keep up the good work, neocon.

• Amazona December 1, 2012 / 2:57 pm

“Aahhhhh, the mewling of an extremely sore loser.”

This is really funny, coming from a yapping ankle-biter whose only “contributions” to the blog are snarling attacks on those who represent an invented Other, supposedly representing a political system he does not understand, in shrill defense of a political system he understands even less.

• Amazona December 1, 2012 / 3:06 pm

Hey, bubble boy, just what parts of the conservative “platform” was “rejected” by a knowledgeable voting public?

It seems pretty obvious that the only thing “rejected” by a small majority of voters was an invented Other that had nothing to do with the actual platform of small federal government, emphasis on state sovereignty, reduced federal spending and a fair taxation system, all necessary for a vital economic system and prosperity.

The only things I saw “rejected” were a highly bigoted perception of the Mormon religion, an equally bigoted reaction against what was falsely seen as an elitist rich white guy, a wholly invented “war on women”, and an equally wholly invented “racism”.

In other words, everything that was “rejected” was something that did not exist until the Left invented it and sold it to a gullible demographic ignorant of the simple fact that by voting based on emotional reaction to these lies they were providing de facto support for a political system of massive central government and federal control.

• Amazona December 1, 2012 / 3:09 pm

Evidently in the Great White North, “total fear and ignorance” are defined as knowledge of the foundational philosophy and documents of our nation, understanding of and allegiance to our rule of law, and limited tolerance for the foolish blatherings of ignorant ankle-biters whose sole goal is the perturbation of an imagined Other without ever offering a single idea or discussion.

• neocon01 December 1, 2012 / 3:18 pm

bubblebrain
        Aahhhhh, the mewling of an extremely sore loser.

I LOST NOTHING, the country will be the loser in the not so far future.
        Think how happy the Germans were in 1939 with their glorious newly elected fuhrer.
        What you sow so shall you reap………we have sown a usurping, marxist, muslim, racist who hates America as she was founded.

ENJOY it while you can, fun time are coming……

• M. Noonan December 2, 2012 / 1:15 am

Amazona,

Mark Steyn does point out that there certainly wasn’t a vote for small government on November 6th – and perhaps we should, then, give the people a taste of the taxes which would be necessary to support the sort of government spending they voted for by re-electing Obama…it would take about a 50% increase in every single tax we have (from sales taxes right on up to death taxes)…but if that is what the people want, lets give it to them. No more of this pussy footing around…if we’re Evil Republicans because we point out that spending needs to be cut, then lets be Good Republicans and point out that spending needs to be paid for…and so you don’t really need any disposable income and maybe you just won’t be able to buy that latest bit of I-Nonsense.

Wonder what our liberals would say to that? Not a single bit more of “free stuff” but a massive tax hike to pay for the free stuff we already get…I suspect they don’t even realize the imbalance…

• Amazona December 2, 2012 / 3:26 am

The thing is, Mark, I don’t think most of the nation knowingly voted for big government, either. Oh, they did, but it was a de facto vote for big government while they thought they were voting for gay marriage or sticking it to “the rich” or protecting women from being DENIED ACCESS TO HEALTH CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!! or to protest good looking white men being able to amass fortunes by being skilled at business.

Remember, the Left never ran on a platform of infinitely expanding the size, scope and power of the federal government. I am pretty sure this never came up.

Not that there was time to get into the actual, real, ideology of the Left, what with all the time spent on inventing a racist Right, inventing a “war on women”, inventing felonies for Mitt Romney, inventing reasons to hate people who have more money, inventing stories about how increasing taxes will fix the deficit, inventing outraged protests over a video, inventing a scenario in which George Bush developed Fast and Furious for Obama to “inherit”, etc.

I’m pretty sure they would have gotten around to it, eventually, but as Kripke said when he bounced a basketball into the wall, they just “wan out of woom”. I am sure the omission had nothing to do with the history of the Left running on trumped-up, emotionally appealing “issues” instead of an honest depiction of its actual blueprint for how to run the nation——- a blueprint which, by the way, is quite contrary to the severely restricted size scope and power of the federal government dictated so clearly by our Constitution.

But as they somehow never managed to ask people to vote for bigger and bigger government, but just to vote for all sorts of demagogued “issues”, I don’t think they can accurately claim now that people knowingly voted for the expansion of the central authority they have in mind.

They’ll claim it, but it just won’t be true.

• thetruthshallsetyoufree2012 December 2, 2012 / 3:26 pm

“Remember, the Left never ran on a platform of infinitely expanding the size, scope and power of the federal government.”

Correct–because that’s not actually the platform. Yet you keep insisting insisting that it is and then end up absolutely gobsmacked when reality doesn’t line up with your view.

Step one to correcting this ongoing mistake of yours is to leave the bubble. Give it a try.

• Amazona December 2, 2012 / 3:44 pm

Cool—-Bubble Boy is back, bubbling along about his bubble fantasies and, as usual, showing the most abject ignorance of the ideology of the political system he has chosen to support by trying to vigorously attack its opposition, which he understands even less.

To Bubbles, policies which expand the size, scope and power of the federal government under the Obama administration are not indicative of a platform of expanding the size, scope and power of the federal government.

I guess these expansions just kind of happen, outside the peripheral vision of the administration while it is so busy. Busy doing what? one might ask. Why, busy expanding the size, scope and power of the federal government, that’s what!

But what makes you think this is happening? one might ask.

Size—–addition of tens of thousands of federal jobs

Scope—-putting the federal government into the private sector, as in its takeover of GM and reassignment of its stock while dictating its management, putting the federal government in the banking business by taking over student loans, interfering in lending and banking by imposing draconian regulations, taking the first (massive) steps toward taking over provision of health care in the United States, imposing fees, taxes and fines for various refusals to bow to federal intrusions into the market place, etc.

Power—–see fees, taxes and fines, above, as well as establishment of an Imperial Presidency in which the president rules by fiat, bypassing Congress, to make new laws and bypass existing laws, and the illegal use of the Executive Branch to promote agendas by approving of various crimes, etc.

Evidently to Bubblehead, if the Left does not state its goals in certain specific terminology, then the execution of those goals in practice is not proof that these ARE their goals.

• Retired Spook December 2, 2012 / 4:31 pm

as well as establishment of an Imperial Presidency

Amazona, “Imperial Presidency” is a totally inadequate description.

• thetruthshallsetyoufree2012 December 2, 2012 / 7:52 pm

“ignorance of the ideology of the political system he has chosen to support by trying to vigorously attack its opposition, which he understands even less.”

This would be that projection of yours rearing its ugly head again.

While you threw in some new lunacy–“Imperial Presidency” is a glorious bit of hyperbolic stupidity–at least you didn’t claim “the Left” wants to “infinitely” expand government this time. That’s a plus. An even bigger plus would be you leaving the bubble and joining us out here in the real world, but to do that, you have to give up your talking points, which really are more like security blankets.

• neocon01 December 4, 2012 / 4:32 pm