The Puppet Show

Well, the dutiful bubble-headed talking heads on the Alphabets, like clockwork, are busily carrying the democrat water, spouting off about how gun control is now the best thing since sliced bread; that it was the gun that killed the children at Sandy Hook Elementary, not the finger attached to the perp that pulled the trigger.

The bodies are cold enough. Let the politicization begin.

I’m really tired of having public policy dictated by the emotion du jour instead of by clear-thinking minds, just so some idiot politician can beat his or her chest, and say “Look at me!! See what I did?? I care!!” not to mention the lamebrained kneejerk reactions by some politically correct company board rooms afraid of their own shadows, putting their ears to the ground, just so they could follow the latest mindless lemming stampede.

As David Axelrod said, “Never let a crisis go to waste.”
There’s nothing that the current statist government-uber-alles powers-that-be would love more than to have an unarmed populace of subjects, vs. an armed populace of citizens.Never mind that gun control in this country, no matter how strict, has NEVER worked. It has had the OPPOSITE effect.Never mind that criminals don’t give a flying copulatory act in a rolling pastry about gun laws.

Never mind that the only ones who will be disarmed are the law abiding citizens who would never otherwise visit harm upon their fellow man.

It’s all about EMOTION. Rationality, my friends, is over-rated.

What you are now witnessing is a textbook example of David Axelrod’s axiom in action; Big Government statists and willing media accomplices engaging in a coordinated “campaign of whispers” to whip the information-bereft Idiocracy into an unstoppable emotion-laden frenzy to do their bidding under the guise of “doing *something!*” little realizing (or simply not caring) that they are all too willing to give up freedom, for a false sense of security, only to be relieved of both.

The puppeteers are now licking their chops; joyously, triumphantly pulling emotion-laden strings, and the dutiful marionettes are happily, even if unwittingly dancing to their tune.
With their “Lord and Savior” Barack Obama at the helm, who even needs congress?

52 thoughts on “The Puppet Show

1. Cluster December 18, 2012 / 9:25 pm

It would be nice if some prominent conservative would stand up and point out the disgraceful call for stricter gun laws by Obama and the liberal media in the wake of Sandy Hook, when they have completely ignored the inner city violence on black children that has been rampant in areas like Chicago and New York. Areas that do have strict gun laws by the way. Is it that white children’s lives create a better crisis?

• M. Noonan December 18, 2012 / 11:09 pm

Cluster,

Its only a crisis if if can be used against conservatives and/or to advance liberal power…that black kids are being butchered in great, big, bloody batches in Chicago and other liberal-governed cesspools doesn’t matter…they’ve already got control there so the people can slaughter each other to their heart’s content…the rich liberals are in carefully guarded enclaves, after all, and so aren’t worried about it affecting them…

2. M. Noonan December 18, 2012 / 11:11 pm

Armed citizens are something to frighten our liberals – and enrage them, because they know that as long as the citizenry is armed, their control will never be total.

• dbschmidt December 18, 2012 / 11:19 pm

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
      —Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation…(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.
      —James Madison,The Federalist Papers, No. 46.

The material and commentary that follows is excerpted from Halbrook, Stephen P. “The Right of the People or the Power of the State Bearing Arms, Arming Militias, and the Second Amendment”. Originally published as 26 Val. U. L.Rev. 131-207, 1991.

Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States. A military force, at the command of Congress, can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power, and jealousy will instantly inspire the inclination, to resist the execution of a law which appears to them unjust and oppressive.
      —Noah Webster, An Examination of the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution (Philadelphia 1787).

It comes down to persuasion or force. BTW, I could post quotes from all time periods for another day or two but the trolls will run away like they did with me pointing out Obama’s Constitutional digressions.

3. dbschmidt December 18, 2012 / 11:12 pm

Let’s go ahead and put every child into a Michelin man / Poppin’ Fresh suit to be feed a steady stream of Progressive pap (Government Indoctrination aka. Public School System) until 18 or 21 in a room deemed worthy of a mental asylum—then pick and choose those worthy of public interaction, aka. work, in whatever menial jobs the government needs. That way every child can be protected not only from themselves but others. Never hear anything that might harm their fragile psyches’ like the truth or an opposing point of view. Never to be hurt except by the Progressive agenda.

As a child of the 60’s I have learned more than most of the minions today. Chewed more wood painted with lead-based paint, worms, and playing with raw mercury to name a few. Fallen off and out of everything from bikes, trees, and skateboards through boats, motorcycles, and car crashes that got me a couple of new teeth for Christmas one December. Up to five new teeth after a pool cue incident to the face.

Done a couple of short spells in the hoosegow from not obeying the law and put many people away as a skip tracer. This is a nation of laws and all should pay when the hangman comes a calling. I served my United States of America as a Marine for 9 years and that is Corps, not Corpse, J. F’king Kerry. I have seen this country turn towards being a collection of wimps. Pull up and wring out your panties and get on with what made America great. Shit, most of you couldn’t tell the difference between a torque wrench and a set of slip-jaw pliers, let alone have any idea of how to fight your way out of a wet paper bag.

It is to the point of failure because the Conservatives have not been fighting back against the Progressives every step of the way since 1913. Our current Representatives know as much about havin’ a set of brass ones and/or a backbone as the Liberals do—which is nothing.

Good Luck in your new utopia (should read some history to find out how that works out) and do not be even attempt to come in my yard—let alone to my door—unless of course you have been invited.

• Leo Pusateri December 19, 2012 / 12:10 am

Correction to my post: “Never let a crisis go to waste” was uttered by Rahm Emanuel, not David Axelrod.

• neocon01 December 19, 2012 / 10:50 am

by Rahm Emanuel, not David Axelrod.

two interchangeable POS

• dbschmidt December 19, 2012 / 12:15 am

BTW, as part of that childhood I grew up with tools and weapons. My first toolbox was when I was 4 or 5 and my first weapon was when I was 9 or 10. Taught to respect and use both—we never had an issue with either. Even as a skip tracer (bounty hunter for you all stuck on ‘stupid’) I only had one occasion that I even thought about pulling my pistol including several knock-down drag-outs in quite the center of the worst parts of Miami.

Before you all try to chime in on gun violence I will challenge you to compare the worst 5 cities for gun violence, which depending on the source, are: This year’s top 5, in order, are St. Louis, MO, Camden, NJ, Detroit, MI and Flint, MI, and Oakland, CA. to Florida which just “celebrated” the issuance of its millionth Concealed Carry Permit (CCP).

• Amazona December 19, 2012 / 8:17 am

I’ve recently been working with a couple of young cowboys, 18 and 20, who have been helping me get the last of my equipment and supplies moved to my new place. They’ve been working with tools since they were little, driving on ranch roads since 10 or so, handling livestock since they could walk, and probably couldn’t remember a time they didn’t have a gun. And within a day or so, I had complete confidence in them.

They handle a weapon of some sort pretty much every day, though to them it is a tool more than a weapon. They are confident, and competent. I absolutely believe that the country would benefit by having more of its young men grow up much as these boys have—-given responsibility, taught how to use and respect tools and knives and guns, not coddled and protected from the bumps and bruises of life, and given a chance to be men.

• neocon01 December 19, 2012 / 10:48 am

how about the government just censor all the major networks and talking heads NOT allowing them to even mention guns or gun control?

• neocon01 December 19, 2012 / 2:43 pm

db

demographics of those areas?

4. bardolf2 December 19, 2012 / 1:20 pm

Off topic but a thread is needed to discuss the passing of Robert H. Bork. Bork one of the great legal minds of the past few decades was destroyed in the media and in the bigger picture his rejection may be more significant than the the current puppet show.

One could argue that his rejection essentially fixed Roe v. Wade as established law and made supreme court nominations a 100% political affair. His nomination is also most responsible for bringing the notion of judicial activism into the vocabulary of the GOP.

• neocon01 December 19, 2012 / 2:40 pm

RIP Justice Bork….

• neocon01 December 19, 2012 / 2:48 pm

DRUDGE

HOUSE DEM: ‘Turn in your guns’…

BIDEN 2008: ‘Barack Obama ain’t taking my shotguns’…

HARRY REID 2010: ‘I Carried a Gun Every Place I Went’…

Obama taps Biden to lead gun grab…

• neocon01 December 19, 2012 / 3:24 pm

HOUSE DEM: ‘Turn in your guns’…= shiela jackass lee

does any one else ever wonder why those who fought so hard for “freedom” are some of the most rabid anti freedom lovers there are?

5. Retired Spook December 19, 2012 / 3:29 pm

Every once in a while, a blind journalist finds an acorn.

From today’s news conference:

[JAKE] TAPPER: It seems to a lot of observers that you made the political calculation in 2008, in your first term and in 2012 not to talk about gun violence. You had your position on renewing the ban on semiautomatic rifles that then Senator Biden put into place, but you didn’t do much about it. This is not the first issue — the first incident of horrific gun violence of your four years. Where have you been?

PRESIDENT OBAMA: Well, here’s where I’ve been, Jake. I’ve been president of the United States, dealing with the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, an auto industry on the verge of collapse, two wars. I don’t think I’ve been on vacation. (emphasis – mine)

And so, you know, I think all of us have to do some reflection on how we prioritize what we do here in Washington. And as I said on Sunday, you know, this should be a wake-up call for all of us to say that if we are not getting right the need to keep our children safe, then nothing else matters. And it’s my commitment to make sure that, that we do everything we can to keep our children safe. A lot of things go — are involved in that, Jake. So making sure they’ve got decent health care and making sure they’ve got a good education, making sure that their parents have jobs — those are all relevant as well. Those aren’t just sort of side issues. But there’s no doubt that this has to be a central issue. And that’s exactly why I’m confident that Joe is going to take this so seriously over the next couple months.

Well, I for one am just sooooooo relieved that Joe is on this. Pee Wee Herman must have been tied up.

• neocon01 December 19, 2012 / 4:49 pm

Pee Wee Herman must have been tied up.

watching tom cruises new movie no doubt………may with “bite me” joe…

• Amazona December 19, 2012 / 6:50 pm

neo, what do you know about this latest Tom Cruise movie?

For several years I have been a big fan of a series by Lee Child, about a protagonist named Jack Reacher. He’s a fascinating character, and in every book is described as big—BIG—about 6’5″ tall, very broad chest and shoulders, imposing, great presence, intimidating, etc.

When I heard that Cruise was going to star in a Jack Reacher movie, all I could think of was that Child had written in a new main character—-maybe Reacher now had a cousin named The Beav.

I’ve seen a couple of TV ads for the movie and they are an abomination of the Reacher character, Cruise trying to act tough and just being a smart-ass. Reacher was never a smart-ass, never stooped to the quip or supposedly witty remark. On the contrary, Reacher has always been the stoic, quiet, purposeful type.

Whoever came up with the brilliant idea of casting tiny little baby-faced Tom Cruise as a 6’5″ broad-shouldered imposing hulk is just an example of Hollyweird. I remember another brilliant book, by Patrick O’Brian, being Hollywoodized. The main character, Jack Aubrey, was made older so Russell Crowe could play him, and his older friend, the short, wiry, sallow, unattractive Dr Maturin was made into a tall young hunk. They managed to make a decent movie once they got finished hacking the main characters apart and reassembling them to fit into some Hollyweird template, but I fear this has not happened with the Reacher movie.

I remember saying that when I got snowed in for a week in Wyoming I spent the time with my three favorite Jacks—-Aubrey, Reacher and Daniels. Tommy-boy may narrow that down to two.

• neocon01 December 19, 2012 / 6:57 pm

Ama

last I heard they have postponed the opening, and removed some of the shoot em up scenes,
        Tom Cruise should not attempt to be a tough guy he does not fit the bill either in real life or playing one.

• Count d'Haricots (@Count_dHaricots) December 19, 2012 / 7:27 pm

Amazona,

Master and Commander was one of the hardest books to read for me. I had better luck with Russian novels than with Aubry’s story. I could never quite get the cadence of the story, found myself re-reading entire sections trying to get the image straight in my mind.

In seeing the movie I waited quite some time for the ship’s physician and wondering who this tall fellow is and why is he behaving so familiar with the captain.

• Amazona December 19, 2012 / 8:05 pm

My husband started to read the series and raved about it, and kept telling me how much I would like it. Yeah, what could be more riveting than long books about the British Navy during the Napoleonic Wars?

But I got the flu and didn’t have anything to read, so in desperation I picked up the third book in the series, and it didn’t take long to get me thoroughly hooked. Being the perfect wife, I bought my husband all the remaining books in the series, and O’Brian’s “A Sea of Words”, a compendium that explained the nautical terms, jargon of the day, etc. (This was, admittedly, related to an old theory of mine that I could buy him all sorts of things I wanted, so I could use them when he wasn’t…)

I went back to the first book, marched through all 20 (though I admit to skimming sometimes, especially when one got bogged down in Turkish diplomacy) and then started buying the audio books. The Borders version had an absolutely brilliant reader, the Barnes and Noble version was garbage with a foppish Aubrey and a tittering Maturin. I am trying to get my books unpacked so I can start the series again.

I still think of O’Brian as the greatest novelist of the 20th Century, and when he died I actually felt a great personal loss, as I knew there would be no more Aubrey and Maturin stories. O’Brian haunted the Admiralty at Greenwich, and every book was based on actual captains’ logs of voyages and battles, so if he wrote about the HMS Java and the US Constitution (not sure if it was USS at that time) firing on each other off the Atlantic coast, every volley actually did happen, and every detail was historically accurate, just with a couple of extra characters along for the ride.

(My husband once asked me where I was in a book and when I told him I was at the battle of the Java and the Constitution he took me into the family room and told me to look carefully at two prints I had never really paid much attention to before. They were of the battle, and as I write this they are on the wall next to my desk, the first art I hung when I moved in here.)

I suppose O’Brian could be an acquired taste, kind of like cigars, but I have gotten so much entertainment from them and learned a little, too,

• Count d'Haricots (@Count_dHaricots) December 19, 2012 / 9:18 pm

Amazona,

It’s the voice.

When reading Steinbeck it’s as if he’s speaking to me; pages flow and I’m in a river of his words being carried along anywhere he wants to take me. Heinlein is the same way, as is Poe, Twain, and Conan Doyle. Hemingway is tedious, and Vonnegut obtuse. I’d rather read Fleming than Dickens, and Stephen King rather than Oscar Wilde. Jimmy Buffett ain’t half bad either.

But i could never get to the point with O’Brian that his words flowed easily from the page.

Which Reacher book would you recommend as a starter? I find I read more for pleasure now that I’m doing all my reading on my Kindle.

• M. Noonan December 19, 2012 / 10:12 pm

I don’t read a lot of novels but if you like things with history and want to read a set of history books which read like novels, I suggest three books by Edward Crankshaw; Maria Theresa; The Shadow of the Winter Palace and The Fall of the House of Hapsburg...tremendously interesting books which greatly illuminate why the world we have today is, well, the world we have today.

• Amazona December 20, 2012 / 2:50 am

Count, you might as well start with the first one, which is “Killing Floor”. I know what you mean about voice but O’Brian speaks to me. I am delighted by the friendship between Aubrey and Maturin, by the fact that on land Aubrey is a bumbling idiot but on a ship he is in his element, with an almost preternatural understanding of his ship, the sea, and everything about what he has to do. I love that Maturin is so unprepossessing but is a master spy, skilled at pistol and rapier, yet cannot remember for a day the difference between one kind of ship and another.

I got fed up with Stephen King. The man never knows when to shut up. I remember a book where there was wallpaper of small flowers with tiny red dots at the centers, and the dots started oozing blood. OK, that was scary. But then the blood flowed, then it spurted, and within a couple of pages it was shooting up out of the storm drains in the streets. I kept thinking, Enough, Stephen, enough! I’m a “less is more” person, who thinks the scariest moment in movies was in Psycho when the character was looking for something on an old dresser and jumped when she thought she saw something behind her, in the mirror. There was nothing there, it was pure Hitchcock, but I jumped out of my skin and never forgot it.

Reacher is not great literature but is an interesting character.

You might like to read C.J. Box, who writes about Wyoming as only a Wyomingite can. He has a series about a game warden named Joe Pickett that is fascinating, at least to me, and wrote a charming novel with a name I just forgot, possibly something about blue heaven but it’s late and it could be anything. I’ve been scanning boxes of old bills, invoices, reports and such into digital files for three days and my brain just quit in protest.

• Count d'Haricots (@Count_dHaricots) December 20, 2012 / 1:16 pm

Okay, I just added Killing Floor to my Kindle. Maria Theresa is the only one from Mark’s list available on Kindle so I’ll give that a shot as well.

Kindle also has several short stories featuring Reacher a a buck or two so I might add those when I get where I’m going.

I’m off on vacation starting Saturday and hope to have plenty of down time by the pool at the hotel.

When the temperatures drop into the sixty’s only the mid-westerners and me are at the pool and they never complain about the cigars because they’re all smoking cigarettes (ech!). Locals bundle up like it’s Siberia because someone reported a cloud somewhere over Mission Bay.

• M. Noonan December 19, 2012 / 10:08 pm

Thank you, Mr. President. A book about you just writes itself and I thank you for this additional material…

6. Jeremiah December 19, 2012 / 5:51 pm

Big headline in today’s newspaper…

Investors turn against gun makers after massacre

I hate to see that.

• neocon01 December 19, 2012 / 6:21 pm

like Rush says………guns inanimate object, the REAL objective is to destroy the constitution.one part at a time.

• Jeremiah December 19, 2012 / 6:27 pm

Yeah, I was listenin’ to him on the radio today.

• M. Noonan December 19, 2012 / 10:09 pm

Its only a short turn – gun sales are through the roof and profits will be healthy…

• Jeremiah December 20, 2012 / 12:24 am

Sounds good. Hope you’re right, Mark.
        America’s gotta have guns to stay free.

7. Jeremiah December 19, 2012 / 6:26 pm

COLUMBINE STUDENT’S FATHER 12 YEARS LATER !!
    Guess our national leaders didn’t expect this. On Thursday, Darrell Scott, the father of Rachel Scott, a victim of the Columbine High School shootings in Littleton, Colorado, was invited to address the House Judiciary Committee’s subcommittee. What he said to our
    national leaders during this special session of Congress was painfully truthful.

They were not prepared for what he was to say, nor was it received well. It needs to be heard by every parent, every teacher, every politician, every sociologist, every psychologist, and every so-called expert! These courageous words spoken by Darrell Scott are powerful, penetrating, and deeply personal. There is no doubt that God sent this man as a voice crying in the wilderness.. The following is a portion of the transcript:
    “Since the dawn of creation there has been both good & evil in the hearts of men and women. We all contain the seeds of kindness or the seeds of violence. The death of my wonderful daughter, Rachel Joy Scott, and the deaths of that heroic teacher, and the other eleven children who died must not be in vain. Their blood cries out for answers.

“The first recorded act of violence was when Cain slew his brother Abel out in the field. The villain was not the club he used.. Neither was it the NCA, the National Club Association. The true killer was Cain, and the reason for the murder could only be found in Cain’s heart.

“In the days that followed the Columbine tragedy, I was amazed at how quickly fingers began to be pointed at groups such as the NRA. I am not a member of the NRA. I am not a hunter. I do not even own a gun. I am not here to represent or defend the NRA – because I don’t believe that they are responsible for my daughter’s death.

Therefore I do not believe that they need to be defended. If I believed they had anything to do with Rachel’s murder I would be their strongest opponent.

I am here today to declare that Columbine was not just a tragedy — it was a spiritual event that should be forcing us to look at where the real blame lies! Much of the blame lies here in this room. Much of the blame lies behind the pointing fingers of the accusers themselves. I wrote a poem just four nights ago that expresses my feelings best.

Your laws ignore our deepest needs,
    Your words are empty air.
    You’ve stripped away our heritage,
    You’ve outlawed simple prayer.
    Now gunshots fill our classrooms,
    And precious children die.
    You seek for answers everywhere,
    And ask the question “Why?”
    You regulate restrictive laws,
    Through legislative creed.
    And yet you fail to understand,
    That God is what we need!

“Men and women are three-part beings. We all consist of body, mind, and spirit. When we refuse to acknowledge a third part of our make-up, we create a void that allows evil, prejudice, and hatred to rush in and wreak havoc. Spiritual presences were present within our educational systems for most of our nation’s history. Many of our major colleges began as theological seminaries. This is a historical fact. What has happened to us as a nation? We have refused to honor God, and in so doing, we open the doors to hatred and violence. And when something as terrible as Columbine’s tragedy occurs — politicians immediately look for a scapegoat such as the NRA. They immediately seek to pass more restrictive laws that contribute to erode away our personal and private liberties. We do not need more restrictive laws. Eric and Dylan would not have been stopped by metal detectors. No amount of gun laws can stop someone who spends months planning this type of massacre. The real villain lies within our own hearts.

“As my son Craig lay under that table in the school library and saw his two friends murdered before his very eyes, he did not hesitate to pray in school. I defy any law or politician to deny him that right! I challenge every young person in America , and around the world, to realize that on April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School prayer was brought back to our schools. Do not let the many prayers offered by those students be in vain. Dare to move into the new millennium with a sacred disregard for legislation that violates your God-given right to communicate with Him. To those of you who would point your finger at the NRA — I give to you a sincere challenge.. Dare to examine your own heart before casting the first stone!

My daughter’s death will not be in vain! The young people of this country will not allow that to happen!”

– Darrell Scott
    Do what the media did not – – let the nation hear this man’s speech. Please send this out to everyone you can.
    God Bless

8. Retired Spook December 20, 2012 / 12:30 pm

The Sandy Hook massacre has succeeded, where other similar events have failed, in opening up a national debate on who we are as a people, what we believe, natural rights vs. government laws, and how we deal with the multitude of causes of senseless tragedies like this in the future. No one recognized nor articulated who we are as a people better than this guy.

• Count d'Haricots (@Count_dHaricots) December 20, 2012 / 1:28 pm

Sadly for me, here in The Tragic Kingdom of Social Engineering our legislature has begun crafting more gun-restricting bills.

A great new proposal is a mental health test before acquiring a weapon; just imagine the questions on that test.

Do you believe Barack Obama is the greatest president in US History if not the Greatest Man like , EVER?
      1) I Love That Man!
      2) I want to have his children
      3) Oh-Bah-Ma! Oh-Bah-Ma!
      4) He’s A Ni**er and I’ll kill him if I get the chance.

Add to the wonderful new permit; you’ll need a yearly renewable permit to buy ammunition.

Yeah, that‘ll work!

• neocon01 December 20, 2012 / 1:53 pm

Yeah, that‘ll work!

just like the WAR on drugs worked/works. HUNDREDS of BILLIONS spent, HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS arrested…………STILL a BIG drug problem in the US.

More LAWS, MORE FBI, MORE ATF, more minja swat teams… Yeaaaaahhhhh thats the ticket!!!

• Count d'Haricots (@Count_dHaricots) December 20, 2012 / 1:59 pm

Here’s a different solution; let’s make EVIL unlawful!

Pass a law that says EVIL people can’t have weapons. EVIL people can’t own a knife, baseball bat or fertilizer.

EVIL people won’t be able to harm anyone if we just pass a law.

• neocon01 December 20, 2012 / 2:16 pm

meanwhile back at the wraunch………

Will Hillary play Vincent “The Chin” Gigante or Woodrow Wilson on her way to the White House?
        By Coach Collins, on December 20th, 2012%

By Kevin “Coach” Collins

Secretary of Hillary Clinton’s suspicious, self-diagnosed “concussion” presents some interesting possibilities. She claims she fainted, fell and struck her head hard enough to have sustained the “concussion” which she is now relying upon to avoid having to lie about her part in the Benghazi cover up during a Congressional hearing. To her adoring media this story presents not a moment of skepticism but another chance to marvel at how skillfully the Clintons lie.

That Hillary did not seek or receive medical attention for such a serious injury as a concussion; (especially for an obese 65 year old woman) means little to her legion of media bootlickers. Nevertheless she will at some point have to either continue her ruse as a mentally incapacitated old woman – perhaps showing up at a hearing in a bath robe like Mafia boss Vincent “The Chin” Gigante, or testify as the rotund, 65 year

More here

• Jeremiah December 20, 2012 / 2:57 pm

Good man. Ronald Reagan was.
      His words are humbling.

9. Jeremiah December 20, 2012 / 3:43 pm

Just called my Senator and asked him to vote against any and all bills that would undermine our 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms.

I would suggest everyone else do the same.

• Jeremiah December 20, 2012 / 6:28 pm

You’re probably right, Count. Nevertheless, it’s worth a try. I forget how many votes it is that counts for every call that’s made in favor of the position taken by the caller.

• Jeremiah December 20, 2012 / 7:53 pm

Course, may not be any truth to that…I don’t know.

• neocon01 December 21, 2012 / 5:57 pm

446 school age children shot in Chicago . . .
        Friday, December 21, 2012 3:24:17 PM · by RetiredArmy
        The Tea Party Commander ^ | December 20, 2012 |

446 school age children shot in Chicago so far this year with strongest gun laws in country – media silent The cesspool known as Chicago probably has the toughest gun laws in the country, yet despite all the shootings, murders, and bloodshed, you never hear a peep about this from the corrupt state run media. In Chicago, there have been 446 school age children shot in leftist utopia run by Rahm Emanuel and that produced Obama, Jesse Jackson, Louis Farrakhan, etc. 62 school aged children have actually been killed by crazed nuts in Chicago so far this year

• neocon01 December 23, 2012 / 1:06 pm

db

terrific article..

• Amazona December 23, 2012 / 1:26 pm

db, this is by far the best, most comprehensive, most informative and most interesting article I have read on the whole gun control topic, and I have sent it to about a dozen people.

It made some really good points. Dozens of them, but I picked out a few: (emphasis mine)

The average number of people shot in a mass shooting event when the shooter is stopped by law enforcement: 14. The average number of people shot in a mass shooting event when the shooter is stopped by civilians: 2.5. The reason is simple. The armed civilians are there when it started.

“The thing is, real assault rifles in the US have been heavily regulated since before they were invented. The thing that the media and politicians like to refer to as assault rifles is basically a catch all term for any gun which looks scary.

……since assault weapon is a nonsense term, they just came up with a list of arbitrary features which made a gun into an assault weapon.

Problem was, none of these features actually made the gun functionally any different or somehow more lethal or better from any other run of the mill firearm.

…….Barrel shrouds were listed. Barrel shrouds are basically useless, cosmetic pieces of metal that go over the barrel so you don’t accidentally touch it and burn your hand. But they became an instantaneous felony too. Collapsible stocks make it so you can adjust your rifle to different size shooters, that way a tall guy and his short wife can shoot the same gun. Nope. EVIL FEATURE!

It has been a running joke in the gun community ever since the ban passed. When Carolyn McCarthy was asked by a reporter what a barrel shroud was, she replied “I think it is the shoulder thing which goes up.” Oh good. I’m glad that thousands of law abiding Americans unwittingly committed felonies because they had a cosmetic piece of sheet metal on their barrel, which has no bearing whatsoever on crime, but could possibly be a shoulder thing which goes up.

Now are you starting to see why “assault weapons” is a pointless term? They aren’t functionally any more powerful or deadly than any normal gun. In fact the cartridges they normally fire are far less powerful than your average deer hunting rifle. Don’t worry though, because the same people who fling around the term assault weapons also think of scoped deer rifles as “high powered sniper guns”.