Ferguson, the End

Well, there ya go – a Grand Jury of American citizens good and true ruled there was no cause to indict officer Wilson. We all suspected as much – when the autopsy information was leaked a little while back, it looked pretty clear that for whatever reason, Mr. Brown decided to attack the police officer. You do that, you’re risking your life. As I said when this whole thing first came up, the police had better have a very good reason for shooting when the dead person is unarmed. Per the jury, they had very good reason.

As for the “riots” in Ferguson – I don’t get a “riot” feel out of them. I was in the Los Angeles area when the King riots erupted and that was quite different from what happened in Ferguson. In Ferguson, I just get the feeling that criminal gangs had scoped out where they wanted to loot and were just waiting for the verdict – which makes the decision to release the verdict after dark exceptionally stupid. Also stupid was the decision to not have the police more spread out. From what I can tell, they were concentrated – ready to move, as it were, but not able to just be there out in front of likely looting targets. I could be all wrong on this, but I figure a couple of cops on each corner in the shopping center might have worked better in keeping the looting from happening.

Plenty of people were on Twitter, of course, venting their feelings – what most struck me is the rank ignorance of how the justice system works, and the sheer idiocy in people demanding a certain verdict from a court. You can’t do that – if you want justice, you have to just be fanatically in favor of juries and deeply respectful of whatever judgement they provide. It isn’t that juries are perfect, of course: but they are the only real defense any of us have against tyranny. People these days don’t seem to understand fully just how hard fought the battle was to just ensure that any accused will have a jury of his peers to judge the facts in his case. This is crucial to human liberty – only thus are we freed from fear that the police will just clap is in jail on the whim of the ruler. Trust me, I’ve seen jury verdicts I thought screwed up – but I still want to live in a world where if I’m ever accused of a crime, it will be 12 random citizens who will sift the evidence and decide if I did it.

We can’t write of Ferguson without taking a moment to note the race-baiters. Led, sadly, by our President and Attorney General, they had a field day in this. The really sad thing is that they helped to fuel the hatred and anger for the most trivial of reasons: just to try and gin up political support (Sharpton and Jackson joining in so they can rake off a few bucks and a bit of TV time).

All in all, an entirely pathetic performance – really sad for my nation.

9 thoughts on “Ferguson, the End

1. Cluster November 25, 2014 / 8:35 am

I am ashamed and saddened by this younger generation (for lack of a better term) and their inability to control their emotions, their refusal to accept facts, and their intolerance of anything that does not comport with their views. The violence and destruction last night will negatively impact that community for years and it is in part agitated by outside forces that could not care less about Mike Brown or his family. And once again, our “black” President, as we are reminded of on nearly a daily basis, needlessly injected himself into a local matter much like he did in Cambridge and Florida. In fact the president even mentioned Ferguson at the UN in a speech centered around the struggles of Islamic Jihad. How you compare those two are beyond me.

The divide along racial and ideological lines in this country are in as bad of shape as I can ever remember, and it will take a dynamic, unifying leader to to begin to lead this country out of it, which in my opinion precludes anyone from the Democratic Party with the possible exception of Jim Webb. It will also require for people to begin to take personal responsibility to a much higher level from it’s seemingly non existent level now. One poll question I see in the media a lot lately is the question – “which candidate cares about me”. This question, or sentiment has no place in our political environment. We are not electing parents. We are electing fellow citizens to serve this country and govern according to the Constitution.

2. Cluster November 25, 2014 / 9:04 am

And no surprise – MSNBC is blaming everybody but the looters and rioters. Even down to blaming the time of day the decision was announced.

3. Amazona November 25, 2014 / 9:49 am

I didn’t hear much of the Obama speech——had something else going on and only caught a couple of sentences. But I was stunned at his appearance. He looked gaunt and haggard and devastated and furious. I thought it would have been better for him to make no appearance at all than to look, speak and act as if he was dealing with an overwhelming tragedy that was tearing him apart.

I could understand the anger in the black demographic at the very beginning of the furor over the Brown shooting. On the surface—-unarmed black teenager shot to death by white cop—-it seemed to fuel the theme of abusive police targeting black people. But when the facts started to come out, and were ignored or distorted, it became clear that facts and truth were going to be the real victims in this charade. I heard one black woman so furious she could barely talk, raging about how this policeman had dragged Brown into his car on top of him and then started punching him. Even the most ignorant, even the most outraged, would understand that no policeman would ever put himself in the position of being UNDER a large opponent, much less giving that opponent the opportunity to grab his gun. When I saw that the determination to make Brown an innocent victim led to the conviction that a trained policeman had purposely put himself in the position of being pinned under a large young man, sprawled out across the seat of his car, because he thought this would allow him to pummel the young man, I knew that no fact would ever appease these people.

The fact that this rioting began before there was a chance to look at the evidence is more proof that in cases like this, facts don’t matter. Truth doesn’t matter. And since when does howling for the head of a man without the slightest evidence of wrongdoing on his part constitute “justice”?

4. Retired Spook November 25, 2014 / 12:11 pm

Most impartial legal analysts I’ve heard interviewed have said the evidence in this case was so overwhelming in Wilson’s favor that a grand jury really wasn’t required, but the prosecutor went that extra yard to avoid any perception that justice wasn’t the ultimate goal. I don’t know what you do with people who can’t accept the results in a case like this. I guess the’ll either settle down until the next time, or they’ll drive off the cliff.

• M. Noonan November 25, 2014 / 1:24 pm

That is what I figure. A case like this with that much forensic evidence is never really in doubt. It was either going to show the cop did wrong, or the cop did right. In this case, the cop was completely justified.

But, still, the idiocy goes on: typified by the statement I’ve heard a lot of times that the riots don’t “honor the memory of Brown”…its like people have a disconnect from reality. Had the forensic evidence backed the “hands up, don’t shoot” theory, then riots would have been a disgrace to the memory of Brown…but the actual evidence is showing that the riots were in quite the spirit of what Brown decided to do the night he was killed.

5. Retired Spook November 25, 2014 / 2:46 pm

When you have prominent black people like Georgia Congressman John Lewis comparing Ferguson to the march on Selma, it’s hard not to come to the conclusion that the Democrat Party has so utterly failed it’s most loyal constituency, that we have to play out the civil rights movement all over again.

• Cluster November 25, 2014 / 2:55 pm

Start over. This time they’ll get it right.

• Retired Spook November 25, 2014 / 3:08 pm

You have a certain element that doesn’t EVER want to “get it right”, only to perpetuate it. You’d think, by this point in history there would be more blacks who would understand that.