Out and About on a Sunday

Terribly sorry to hear of the death of Vice President Biden’s son, Beau. I can only imagine the pain. One Catholic to another, I ask Blessed Mary, ever Virgin, Our Lady of Perpetual Help, to pray for the repose of the soul of Beau Biden, and for the comfort of his family and friends.

Yes, I realize they are all also-rans – but we’ve now got O’Malley and Sanders in the race against Hillary, and we can shortly expect Lincoln Chaffee to join the lists. Keep in mind that Biden still might get in, as may former Senator Webb and Senator Warren. Obama was also supposed to be an also-ran in 2008, you know? Hillary may be the giant who only needs a slight shove to fall down. What is rather funny is that all three Democrats in the race are talking up how bad things are as if a certain Democrat hadn’t been in charge since 2009. Winning a third term in the White House is a tricky thing. It has only happened once since World War Two when the elder Bush rode Reagan’s coat tails into office…anyone want to tell me that a Democrat can ride Obama’s record into office?

The decline in GDP of 0.7% in Q1 2015 is interesting – and I’d likely have more to say on it if I had any real interest in government statistics. Given how relentlessly dishonest our government is, I just don’t trust that is the true number. I’m highly doubtful that it was better than the announced figure because if it was, they’d have gone with that – one is left to assume that the reality is much worse.

Latest mindblowingly dumb Democrat idea – make gun owners get liability insurance in order to curb gun violence. Like a person contemplating a crime will make sure his insurance is in order before he acts…

Some people are talking up a rise in crime rates of late – there does seem to be some evidence of it but before I join the bandwagon on this, I want to see how things go for a while. It could just be a statistical blip…or it could well be, as some claim, that the police are deciding that if enforcing the law means you might be hauled into court like those cops in Baltimore, then maybe its better to turn a blind eye…

A lot of liberals went nuts over the armed demonstration in front of an Islamic center in Arizona. I didn’t. Now, those who pay attention know that I’m not in favor of drawing insulting pictures of anyone’s religion, even of Islam. So, have I changed? Nope. People have a perfect right to demonstrate peacefully and to keep and bear arms in the United States – even if they are demonstrating peacefully while keeping and bearing the arms. Demonstrating, as such, does not insult anyone. And as I recall some of the rather anti-Catholic demonstrations by liberals out in front of Catholic churches, I take liberal outrage here with about ten pounds of salt.

The guy who drew the Stalinist “Hope” poster for Obama is disappointed in Obama – and in the American people. From what I’ve read, we’re just not commie enough, and neither is Obama. I guess he’s right – even about Obama. After all, we’re nearly six and a half years in and Obama hasn’t called out the Kulaks by name.

Walker has the early lead in Iowa. Right now, its Anybody But Bush. Or Christie. Or Graham. Or Trump, if he gets in (the Donald does seem to be getting ready to jump in).

Bob Schieffer doesn’t know where we get our news from these days. Here’s a clue for ya, Bob: we don’t get it from the MSM because the MSM doesn’t report it . If you did, we wouldn’t have President Obama and Hillary would be facing indictment.

And, now, St Joan of Arc:

JOAN of Arc was not stuck at the cross-roads, either by rejecting all the paths like Tolstoy, or by accepting them all like Nietzsche. She chose a path, and went down it like a thunderbolt. Yet Joan, when I came to think of her, had in her all that was true either in Tolstoy or Nietzsche, all that was even tolerable in either of them. I thought of all that is noble in Tolstoy, the pleasure in plain things, especially in plain pity, the actualities of the earth, the reverence for the poor, the dignity of the bowed back. Joan of Arc had all that and with this great addition, that she endured poverty as well as admiring it; whereas Tolstoy is only a typical aristocrat trying to find out its secret. And then I thought of all that was brave and proud and pathetic in poor Nietzsche, and his mutiny against the emptiness and timidity of our time. I thought of his cry for the ecstatic equilibrium of danger, his hunger for the rush of great horses, his cry to arms. Well, Joan of Arc had all that, and again with this difference, that she did not praise fighting, but fought. We KNOW that she was not afraid of an army, while Nietzsche, for all we know, was afraid of a cow. Tolstoy only praised the peasant; she was the peasant. Nietzsche only praised the warrior; she was the warrior. She beat them both at their own antagonistic ideals; she was more gentle than the one, more violent than the other. Yet she was a perfectly practical person who did something, while they are wild speculators who do nothing.

~G.K. Chesterton: “Orthodoxy,” III.—The Suicide of Thought.</i>

18 thoughts on “Out and About on a Sunday

1. Retired Spook May 31, 2015 / 9:49 am

Some people are talking up a rise in crime rates of late.

I don’t think it’s just a rise in crime. It’s also a coursening of our culture and a decline in civility. I don’t drive nearly as much as I did before I retired, but I’ve noticed a significant increase in incivility among other drivers in the last few years. Hardly a day goes by that someone doesn’t flip me off for some perceived slight, often something as benign as changing lanes or not proceeding through an intersection the exact moment the light changes. A couple weeks ago I turned right on red from a county road onto U.S. 30, and a car at least 100 yards away sped up and tried to ram me in the back. I was going nearly 100 when he finally backed off, and at the next light he pulled up next to me, flipped me off and screamed some obscenity at me. Last night my daughter’s boyfriend was accosted in the parking lot of a local supermarket by someone who accused him of stealing his parking place. Fortunately it ended without violence. I think a substantial portion of the population is just scraping by to make ends meet and living paycheck to paycheck, and the resulting stress manifests itself in a number of ways, none of them good. And I suspect the vast majority of those people voted for Obama and believed him when he said he was going to make their lives better.

• Amazona May 31, 2015 / 1:51 pm

Spook, I’ve noticed the same thing, and it seems to have become noticably worse in the past two or three years. I drive about 70 miles a day, on average, and some of that is on an interstate highway. Three years ago, as I came off the entrance ramp onto the highway cars would change lanes or slow just enough to let me merge. Now they often speed up to cut me off.

I don’t blame the everyday stress of trying to get by nearly as much as I do the increasing sense of helplessness. I think a belief in this as a nation of laws has provided a foundation for our psyches, and that has been disrupted. It is no longer a given. We are seeing tacit approval of outrageous thuggery and violence, even to the extent of targeting police officers for death, excused as mere “protests” with a flurry of excuses made for the criminals. We have a national justice department which no longer even tries to pretend to stand for the rule of law, but has become an active arm of racism.

We have gone from a nation of morality based upon the three legs of religion, the family and the rule of law to one where all of these are under attack, with the approval of the Complicit Agenda Media, the Left, and entertainment sources. Without balance, predictability and accountability, without acceptance of a Higher Power, without a firm family unit, without laws applied evenly and fairly, no society can survive.

We are seeing the outcome of a long, steady and thoughtful strategy to undermine the very core of American society, to weaken it and make it more susceptible to giving in to tyranny.

• M. Noonan June 1, 2015 / 12:20 am

Part of it, also, that people see the well connected getting away with it. Leaving aside things like where Reid got all his money and the Clinton’s slush fund…back a few years ago, London-based HSBC was caught by the Feds red handed money laundering for drug lords and terrorists. This wasn’t just a detail thing – they were laundering money in huge bagfulls at a time for people they knew full well were criminal. So, where was the perp walk of the Board of Directors? There wasn’t one. Obama – the Scourge of Wall Street and Defender of the Little Guy – let them off with a fine to be paid out of share holder dividends. The reason? It would cause too much stress in the financial markets. Here was a liberal’s best chance to really nail some big wigs, and they let it go…of course, donations matter and HSBC is a “good corporate citizen”…they give money to all the liberal-approved causes and are committed to diversity and fighting climate change and all that claptrap.

If our Rulers won’t obey the laws, then why should we? That is a calculus which may come more and more into play as time goes on…

• Retired Spook June 1, 2015 / 7:25 am

I’ve said that all along. There just needs to be someone to lead the charge — maybe even willing to risk their life. It won’t even necessarily be about breaking the law, but simply not complying with unreasonable or unconstitutional laws, if you will. Where non-compliance, or “nullification” will be the most effective will be at the state level, because the Feds really don’t have a lawful mechanism to force states to comply with unconstitutional mandates other than withhold “federal” money. But just one state has to say, sorry, Uncle Same, we’re not giving you the money in the first place, and others will quickly follow. At some point the states, as well as individuals, need to take back the sovereignty that they’ve ceded to the Federal government, mostly be default, over the last century, because if the pendulum is not reversed we’ll end up like the societies portrayed in the numerous dystopian movies over the last decade or two. I don’t want that for my descendants.

BTW, Amazona — good to have you back.

2. Retired Spook June 1, 2015 / 11:41 am

A really interesting article at MarketWatch this morning. I don’t always agree with Nouriel Roubini, but I respect his intelect.

• Retired Spook June 1, 2015 / 1:09 pm

Mark and I have both been predicting a financial collapse, or, at the very least, a major correction since about the spring of 2010. And while it hasn’t materialized, neither has a substantive recovery. Every month economists tout some isolated economic indicator as a positive indication that things are getting better, but none of those dynamics has achieved any momentum or continuity. Different aspects of the economy simply have a good month every once in a while, but over all things are no better than they were in early to mid 2009, and one could argue that in many ways things are worse — more people on food stamps, more people unemployed, corporate profits at the lowest point since the 2008 crisis, etc.. I guess our economy could just limp along indefinitely, but odds are that, as Stephen King notes, something in the global economy will trigger a domino effect.

• Cluster June 1, 2015 / 3:13 pm

Things ARE worse than 2009 in that we have spent trillions of dollars of stimulus money and artificially kept interest rates low, so there are really no more bullets left in the chamber that Feds can use to keep the economy on life support. If it collapses now, there’s nothing governments can do.

• Cluster June 1, 2015 / 3:17 pm

And while middle class folks are still suffering through average wage declines, an increase in cost of living, limited job growth and a stagnant economy – we receive this news:

The cost of Obamacare could rise for millions of Americans next year, with one insurer proposing a 50 percent hike in premiums, fueling the controversy about just how “affordable” the Affordable Care Act really is.

Health experts see big price hikes for Obamacare

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/how-affordable-is-the-affordable-care-act-118428.html#ixzz3bq7ky6yP

• Amazona June 1, 2015 / 8:18 pm

Well, aside from the fact that the Act is not affordable and is not about care, what’s your point?

• Cluster June 1, 2015 / 8:43 pm

I hope the SC and specifically Chief Justice Roberts rules against the federal subsidies this months and rips the heart out of this disastrous law.

3. Retired Spook June 2, 2015 / 7:45 am

Another great article by Brandon Smith at Personal Liberty Digest this morning. It goes directly to something we’ve discussed quite a bit here over the years.

Frankly, I’m a little tired of those who consider themselves to be social advocates so overtly concerned with what we individuals are thinking or feeling or doing. We don’t owe them any explanations and we certainly never agreed to be a part of their ridiculous cults of academia and the mainstream. I have no patience for people who have the audacity to think they can mold the rest of us into abiding by their intrusive ideology. If you think that you can force me to adopt your collectivist philosophy because you are too ignorant or too sociopathic to compose an argument that convinces me to join voluntarily, then I’m afraid one day I’ll probably react by shooting you. Yes, in my opinion violence is the only answer for such tyrants. We have every right to be left alone, they have no right to their aggressive statism, and we have every right to defend ourselves.

• M. Noonan June 2, 2015 / 6:20 pm

Strong words, indeed.

For some reason, someone was reading an article I commented on about two years ago and responded to my comment – it was a positive response to my comment, but when I looked it up, I was rather startled. Hadn’t realized I had been yammering on about this for that long: the world heads towards a final smash up, was the basic thrust of my comment. All these various progressive initiatives which appear on the verge of total victory are just a way to mark time…eventually, the fight comes down to those who actually believe in something. You and I will likely be safely dead by then, my friend – but 100 years from now, no one is going to be chatting over the things irking us today…the fight will be over real things, as it used to be and, indeed, always has been.

4. Retired Spook June 2, 2015 / 8:29 am

Gee, Wayne — tell us how you really feel.

I’ve told everyone and anyone who would listen for almost seven years that Obama is following the exact plan he learned as my college classmate at Columbia University Class of 1983. The plan is called “Cloward-Piven.”

The plan is simple: To destroy capitalism and “American exceptionalism” you overwhelm the system with spending, entitlements, regulations and debt. The economy comes to halt, full-time jobs are killed, businesses fail in record numbers, the middle class is financially murdered, the debt implodes and the economy is overwhelmed.

Capitalism dies as a majority of Americans wind up hooked on welfare, food stamps, free healthcare and government checks like a drug addict is hooked on heroin, crack cocaine, or crystal meth. Obama is America’s drug dealer. But his drug of choice is government dependency.

5. Retired Spook June 2, 2015 / 2:06 pm

Delusion, thy name art Barack Obama

• Cluster June 2, 2015 / 4:46 pm

If he believes it – he is delusional. If he is just politically posturing – he is diabolical.