Weekend Open Thread

So, Trump has some interesting ideas on what to do with America’s debt. Seems to be, “borrow all we want, then tell our creditors they get 80 cents on the dollar”. Remember, we’ve got nuclear weapons and this would stick – would, however, make it temporarily harder for us to borrow more…on the other hand, the global economy is built on fake money and debt, so eventually we’d be able to squeeze the orange again. And why not YOLO our way through this? The People’s Republic of China considers itself the sole, legitimate government of China – ok, fine. We loaned the government of China $500,000,000.00 in 1942, and we never got repaid. That is $7,304,660,000.00 in 2016 dollars. With 5% interest, that is $270,151,970,000.00 – we announce to China that we’re subtracting that amount from what we owe them. What are they doing to do? Oh, and it appears that China issued a bucket of bonds from the early to mid 20th century purchased by American investors, and then defaulted on them…after all is said and done, China might owe us a neat trillion dollars.

Futurist says we’ll all start living forever by 2029 – which is (a) impossible and (b) not a good idea, even if it was possible. It isn’t possible because the universe doesn’t last forever and even if it were possible, it wouldn’t be a good idea to have human beings live on and on like that…we’re bad enough when we’ve got 80 years. Imagine what we’d be like by our 8,000th birthday? The arrogant, insolent pride of someone getting that along in years would be just terrible to behold. Actually, you will live forever anyway – you’re just choosing here in this life where you want to live. Hang desperately on to this life, and you’ll be making a choice for a not-ideal “forever”.

President Lightbringer, who’s whole Administration is a triumph of fictional Narratives, says the Presidency is not a reality show.

Tax the Ivy League to reduce college costs? Yeah, maybe – but, mostly tax them to punish them for being cesspits of Progressive fascism.

So, we gained 196,000 jobs, but if you look further into the report, we lost 316,000 jobs…welcome to the world of government statistics! Oh, and the labor force participation rate dropped…again.

Rumors that Rubio lobbied to be Trump’s VP…

24 thoughts on “Weekend Open Thread

1. Retired Spook May 7, 2016 / 9:57 am

Kind of picking up with Amazona’s last comment in the previous thread, two things happened within hours of Trump’s primary victory in Indiana: immediate talk of a third party, and numerous GOP establishment types tripping over each other to jump on the Trump bandwagon and chastising any Republican who doesn’t as being (fill in the blank — stupid, unpatriotic, dishonest, dishonorable, etc.) I posed a theory, somewhat off the wall to be sure, to a group of email buddies that I think the GOP establishment has had a back-room deal with Trump from the gitgo, certainly since last fall, wherein they agreed to publicly be opposed to him while he, in turn, ran a scorched earth campaign to destroy the Conservative Movement. John Boehner’s comment about being golf and texting buddies with Trump kind of let the cat out of the bag. Frankly, I’m amazed that I haven’t heard or seen any journalist comment on it. I’d bet that the majority of establishment types who publicly opposed Trump throughout the primaries have received money from him at some point. They’ve made deals with him before, and they know they’ll be able to do it again.

• Amazona May 7, 2016 / 10:46 am

I don’t think your theory of the back room deal is off the wall. I have thought that the GOP gave Trump free rein for the same reasons you gave, but thinking he would crash and burn and they would have the rest of the field, especially the biggest threat (Ted Cruz) out of the way, so they could focus on Jeb Bush. Maybe on Rubio. They had two fairly popular centrist Floridians who might be able to bring us Florida in the general, Trump would have eliminated or damaged the rest of the field and done their dirty work for them, and it would all be good.

The thing is, their pet went rogue on them, took out their boys early on, and now they are kind of stuck with him.

Kind of. The fact is, the primaries are not binding. They are token psuedo-elections, to test the waters, but when it comes right down to it the party makes the decision. Not all states have rules that bind their delegates to the winners of their primaries, and even those that do are subject to party rules, which can change if they vote to change them.

Right now Trump seems to be picking up steam, but then again I don’t really trust much of anything I read any more. For example, we keep hearing about Trump picking up “endorsements” from all these GOP types, yet when you read the statements they are pretty tepid, few of them even mentioning Trump but just saying they are good party people who will support the party candidate no matter who it is. Perry came closest to a true endorsement, when he said Trump was “very talented”. Sounds pretty good, but when you think about it it could mean anything.

My feeling is, if there is going to be a third party in the race, it should be whatever Trump cobbles together out of pique and spite after losing the nomination at the convention. We tiptoed around Trump because of his threat to tank the GOP chances with his third party run, and now thanks to him and the game playing by the GOP that I truly think has backfired on them we are facing one anyway. If it comes down to that, i say kick the bum out, let him sue, let him run his own campaign, and we run a good slate of good candidates with GOP money and under the GOP banner. Instead of demanding concessions and changes from Trump, we demand them from the GOP. Instead of holding Trump’s feet to the fire and trying to reform him, we cut him loose and force the GOP to make the changes we demand. It’s got the structure, it’s got the bank account, it’s now got the message that it is in danger because people hate it so much, and if it is smart enough to read the tea leaves and adapt before it truly IS taken down, I say move in and remodel.

If there is a chance Trump might beat Hillary, I would probably not rock the boat, and hope for the best. If he starts losing a lot of his original core supporters, which he might do given his antics in the day or so after he got the whole field to himself, he may leave us no choice.

From RedState:

“In a period of less than 48 hours, Trump reversed himself in four spectacular betrayals that tell you volumes about what to expect. First, at around 5:45 p.m. on Wednesday, literally minutes after Kasich’s speech, CNN aired Trump telling Wolf Blitzer that he had changed his mind and is now open to raising the minimum wage.

Next, just a couple of hours later, the Wall Street Journal reported that Trump would not be self-funding his campaign anymore. You know, the thing he bragged about every day forever, including just a day before in Indiana. Done.

Then on Thursday morning at about 8:00 a.m., CNBC released video of an interview with Trump essentially renouncing his own tax plan.

And finally, later that same morning, it was revealed that the man picked to head up fundraising for his no longer self-funded campaign, Steve Mnuchin, is a former Goldman Sachs partner, serious Hillary donor, and most unbelievably, a former George Soros bigwig. Seriously.

That’s just a few hours past one full day since Cruz dropped out. Four betrayals. Less than two days. Unreal.”

No, not “unreal”. Completely, absolutely, predictably real. Many of us knew, with absolute certainty, that the reasons Trumpbots were giving for supporting him would prove to be nothing more than stuff he callously cobbled together after his market research told him what he would need to say to get the mobs pumped up.

In the same time period he unleashed a typically juvenile, hateful, vitriolic attack on Lindsey Graham for not supporting him. I am not a Graham fan, but the Trump attack was bizarre and uncalled-for—-and tells us what anyone can expect if he doesn’t have his head buried deep enough in Trump’s nether regions to make the “gilded frog” happy.

And we are not even through Week One of Presumptive Nominee. Who’s bringing the popcorn?

BTW, I ran across a great phrase—–the Branch Trumpidians

• Amazona May 7, 2016 / 10:53 am

” Frankly, I’m amazed that I haven’t heard or seen any journalist comment on it. “

Journalist? I’ve heard that there used to be such creatures, people of integrity who were committed to telling people the truth about the events in the world, but have come to think of them in the same wistful way I think of unicorns—-“wouldn’t it be nice if….”

2. Retired Spook May 7, 2016 / 10:44 am

I was doing some spring cleaning of computer files this morning, and came across this from a couple years ago entitled the Conundrum of Socialism:

1. America is capitalist and greedy – yet half of the population is subsidized.

2. Half of the population is subsidized – yet they think they are victims.

3. They think they are victims – yet their representatives run the government.

4. Their representatives run the government – yet the poor keep getting poorer.

5. The poor keep getting poorer – yet they have things that people in other countries only dream about.

6. They have things that people in other countries only dream about – yet they want America to be more like those other countries.

3. Retired Spook May 7, 2016 / 11:09 am

Another spring cleaning gem:

To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows Presidential potential.

If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.

A whale swims all day, only eats fish, drinks water, and is fat.

A rabbit runs and hops and only lives 15 years.

A tortoise doesn’t run and does nothing, yet it lives for 450 years. And you tell me to exercise?? I don’t think so. Go around me.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

My wild oats have turned into prunes and all-bran.

I finally got my head together, and now my body is falling apart.

Funny, I don’t remember being absent-minded.

Funny, I don’t remember being absent-minded.

If all is not lost, where is it?

It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.

Some days, you’re the dog; some days you’re the hydrant.

I wish the buck stopped here; I sure could use a few.

Kids in the back seat cause accidents.

Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

It’s hard to make a comeback when you haven’t been anywhere.

The only time the world beats a path to your door is when you’re in the bathroom.

If God wanted me to touch my toes, he’d have put them on my knees.

When I’m finally holding all the cards, why does everyone want to play chess?

Its not hard to meet expenses . . . they’re everywhere.

The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the hereafter…I go somewhere to get something, and then wonder what I’m hereafter.

Funny, I don’t remember being absent-minded.

I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

There are two kinds of pedestrians . . . The quick and the dead.

Life is sexually transmitted.

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Have you noticed since everyone has a cell phone these days no one talks about seeing UFOs like they used to?

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

In the 60’s, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, ‘I think I’ll squeeze these dangly things and drink whatever comes out’? Hmmmmm, How about eggs ? . . .

If Jimmy cracks corn and no one cares, why is there a song about him?

Why does your OB-GYN leave the room when you get undressed if they are going to look up
    there anyway?

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Do illiterate people get the full effect of Alphabet Soup?

Does pushing the elevator button more than once make it arrive faster?

Why doesn’t glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Do you ever wonder why you gave me your email address

Money cannot buy happiness, but it’s more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than on a bicycle.

Forgive your enemy, but remember the @$$^*!#’s name.

If you help someone when they’re in trouble, they will remember you when they’re in trouble again.

Many people are alive only because it’s illegal to shoot them.

Alcohol does not solve any problems, but then neither does milk.

Organized people are just too lazy to look for things.

I hate being bipolar. It’s awesome.

Vegetarian: Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who can’t hunt or fish.

I’m not saying you’re stupid, I’m just saying you’ve got bad luck when it comes to thinking.

A day without sarcasm is a day wasted.

Of course I talk like an idiot. How else could you understand me?

Sorry, I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Common sense is like deodorant. The people who need it most, never use it.

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It’s strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

The first five days after the weekend are always the hardest.

Am I getting older or has the supermarket begun playing great music?

The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest.

When I was little my dad had me convinced that the ice cream truck only played music when it was sold out. Well played Dad, well played.

It’s better to have loved and lost than to live with the psycho for the rest of your life.

Why is “patience” a virtue? Why can’t “hurry the $#@* up” be a virtue?

I’m not saying let’s go kill all the stupid people…I’m just saying let’s remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out. (MY PERSONAL FAVORITE)

To me “drink responsibly” means don’t spill it.

Not to get technical…but according to chemistry, alcohol is a solution.

I’ve got to stop saying, “How stupid can you be?” Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

I hate it when people are at your house and ask “Do you have a bathroom?” No, we just use the backyard.

Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you.

Those who say “there is no such thing as a stupid question” have never worked in customer service.

Money can’t buy happiness…but poverty can’t buy anything.

I hate it when ugly people say “I need my beauty sleep.” Wow, you need to hibernate.

I like sleeping because it’s like being dead, without the commitment.

I changed my car horn to gun shot sounds. People move out of the way much faster now.

I’m sorry I hurt your feelings when I called you stupid. I really thought you already knew.

My favorite exercise at the gym would probably be judging.

If you think the grass is greener on the other side, it’s probably because it’s fertilized with bull$^!+.

• M. Noonan May 7, 2016 / 7:50 pm

I figure that beyond just gathering what we could, the first food “invented” by humans was beer…which then led to a series of “I dare you”, resulting in things like trying cow’s milk…

4. Amazona May 7, 2016 / 2:04 pm

“So, Trump has some interesting ideas on what to do with America’s debt. Seems to be, “borrow all we want, then tell our creditors they get 80 cents on the dollar”. “

Oooh, great way to Make America Great. Get people to trust us with their money and then defraud them. Hey. it worked on that big condo complex that never got built, after people invested their life savings because they bought into the Trumpeting about the Glory That Is Trump and his always, never-ending, business success. It worked on those suckers who were so dazzled by the impression that Trump is a brilliant businessman that THEY put up THEIR life savings, and were told to go out and borrow more, after being told that the Great One hisownself would be taking them under his wing and share with them the secrets of his astounding success, inevitably making them billionaires, too. It even worked well enough for some of them to double down on their suckerhood and, at his direction, borrow more money to give to him, to “attend” a university that was never a university, to never see Trump at all (though after they paid extra to go to an event with him present and be photographed with him they were allowed to have their pictures taken with a cardboard cutout of Trump).

But isn’t that what the Trumpsters want? To have him bring what made him rich into the highest levels of government, so America can be more like Trump? Don’t they love him because, as they say, “he knows how to play the game”? So what are a few hundred federal lawsuits for fraud? Isn’t that, much like bribing politicians, working with the Mob, and hiring illegals to build his projects on the cheap just “how you have to do business” and what these people are looking for translated into just “how you have to run the country”?

And what better example of how Trump “plays the game” than conning people, or governments, into lending us money on specific terms and then changing the rules and telling them to sit on it if they don’t like it?

Gee, it kind of sounds like his plan to Make America Great by telling nations that they should be our allies, but if they have a problem they are on their own.

I need a new dictionary, because when I look up “great” I don’t find sleazy, corrupt, vulgar or dishonest. Those are all under “Trump”.

• M. Noonan May 7, 2016 / 7:47 pm

The only thing I can figure on it is that Trump knows that global finances are a dumpster fire and he’s just mouthing what no one else will say. Remember, the EU is about to lend more money to Greece…and, also, Iceland defaulted, and can still borrow money (yes, I know – much smaller nation in different circumstances…but it shows that the financial industry can’t refuse to lend, no matter how bad the credit rating is). And, remember, if the US ever defaults, the nations of the world will find they’ve got a several trillion dollar hole in their balance sheets…and China and Japan are really in the soup on this. The world can’t afford to have a US default…and, so, they will, if necessary, take a 20% hair cut, even if it is disguised in the form of a 20% devaluation of the dollar (which is what will happen if, say, Hillary gets elected and nothing is done to get a handle on our debt…and under Hillary, nothing will get done).

I’m starting to view Trump vs Hillary as just the harbinger of the systemic collapse – no one wants to listen to those who know we need to reform, and so we’ll choose among two people, neither of whom will reform anything. Collapse is inevitable.

5. Amazona May 7, 2016 / 2:19 pm

“President Lightbringer, who’s (sic) whole Administration is a triumph of fictional Narratives, says the Presidency is not a reality show.”

But to a constituency that believes that “reality shows” are not carefully plotted and scripted, who believe that big-time “wrestling” is not a sham, who think that money means class, reality is a vague concept, much like their “values” and their “principles” and their “dedication to constitutional government”.

Trump’s own words do give insight into what makes the man tick.

Of course, he is constantly telling us what he really thinks and believes, it’s just that the Trumpsters are still reading the Original Conservative Bible Of Trump, the one he wrote at the beginning of his campaign, and ignoring all the corrections, revisions, alterations, contradictions and erasures. They are Orthodox, Old Testament Branch Trumpidians, with a fervent faith that depends on believing he only really meant what he first promised he would do, somehow, with the aid of Magical Thinking but still….. and not any of the things he has said since then in any of his walking back of earlier enticements.

They WANT a reality show. They don’t like Ted Cruz because, as a poster here complained, he “talks like a lawyer”. They want someone they can relate to, someone who acts uneducated and assures them that he loves them, the equally uneducated. They want a smackdown. They want blood on the canvas, and trash talk, and chairs thrown, like in the real world of Trump’s WWE RAW days, when he fit in so well with the rest of the cast. They don’t want someone who comes across as smarter than they are. And that is what they have.

6. Retired Spook May 7, 2016 / 4:45 pm

I’m amazed how quickly so many non-Trumpbots came to a decision to either NEVER support Trump or let bygones be bygones and support him wholeheartedly. Paul Ryan seems to be one of the few in a position of authority to say he’s not yet ready to support Trump, and he’s getting raked over the coals for it. Perhaps to some a Trump – Hillary race is a foregone conclusion, and it very well may be, but I kind of view the next few months as a time, to use an old expression, to keep our powder dry. There are lots of what-if’s that could happen between now and the Conventions, and even more between the conventions and the election. We haven’t had a successful political assassination since 1968. I’m not hearing rumblings of one now, but the level of anger, outrage and frustration by various divergent groups is higher than I’ve seen in a long time. If the Black Lives Matter bunch teams up with the Muslim Brotherhood (already considerable overlap between the two groups) and some of the leftover radicals from Occupy Wall Street movement to bring the “summer of rage” that they’ve threatened, I suspect every day for the foreseeable future will bring “holy shit” revelations of one sort or another, and the narrative could change quickly and often.

• Amazona May 7, 2016 / 6:49 pm

I keep coming back to the question of what will the GOP do if/when Trump keeps doubling down on his offensiveness and outrageousness. It really does come down to what the party wants to do, votes notwithstanding. Right now Trump is a wild card (in more ways than one) as on one hand he does seem to be gaining some support from the general populace and on the other his demeanor has not become more presidential.

If you can believe the polling, he is creeping up on Hillary. Yet his negatives are not improving, so who are these people and where are they coming from? If his negative figures were changing, the polls might make more sense.

If I were in charge, I would be doing serious, major, polling among Republicans, mostly in states where Trump did well in the primaries, to see if there is a change in how people feel about him. I’d be testing the waters, to see if his support is fading as time goes on. To my mind, his appeal should be diminishing, as the reasons so many gave for supporting him a few months ago have been wiped out by his reversals, and in the meantime he has said things like offering to pay the legal fees for his fans who assault opponents and he would publicize the family details and room numbers of delegates who do not support him. It’s true that the more awful he gets the more votes he gets, so I might be completely off base here, but I would still like to know what are the chances of a significant number of delegates deciding they want someone else. He has already run backwards on so many promises, at some time surely some people will start to see that he is a liar and a con man and start looking for an alternative that is not Hillary.

I think violence, if there is any, is going to come from the pro-Trump side. The anti-Trump people are more intellectual, more analytical and thoughtful, while the Trumpbots are more visceral. I suggest reading the comments when people can comment on stories about the election. The vitriol and hatred oozing from the Trump supporters is very disturbing, and it is the Trump camp that has threatened delegates and their families and assaulted protesters. More and more I see Trump as a bottom feeder, getting not only his support but his energy from the more unbalanced and volatile and hate-driven. He made Cruz such a lightning rod, and got his mobs so foaming at the mouth about him, I was relieved when Cruz dropped out. I actually saw an incitement to have Heidi Cruz killed. I don’t know of many people as negative about Trump as I am, over such a broad range of reasons, yet I don’t “hate” him as a person and have never even considered violence toward him or anyone in his group or on his side. But violence, both verbal and physical, and threats of violence, are part of the foundation of Trumpmania.

You are right—what with the violent leanings of so many Trumpsters and the constant calls to violence from the Black Lives Matter people and the other radicals you mention, violence is a very real possibility. I would like the GOP to put as much distance as possible between it and Trump, if Trump continues to escalate his bizarre, vindictive, irrational and reckless rhetoric. The more I think about it, the more I think he needs to be cut off, isolated and ignored as much as possible, and the only way to do that is to reject him as a candidate, not fund him with Republican money, and let him have his temper tantrums without worrying about the outcome. I think his blustering about “riots in the streets” is delusional, based on his narcissistic belief that he is that important, but we saw how that threat materialized in Colorado (hint: it didn’t) and I think he would go out with a whimper instead of a bang. I also think that lawsuits would backfire against him.

I think, if he continues to show us how profoundly ill-equipped he is to be the Leader of the Free World as well as the President of the United States, there should just be a low-key but very firm position that “We took him at his word, we gave him a chance, but he blew it, and we had to go another way.” There would be whining, screeching wailing about him being “cheated”, about the nomination being “stolen” from him, which I would treat like any other tantrum from a child. “Yes, I know you are upset. Yes, I know this bothers you. But he was never OWED anything, he had to earn it, and that includes proving to the party that he would be a good candidate and a good president. He didn’t do that. So sorry.”

If he can dig down and find at least the illusion of a mature man with the mental and emotional characteristics necessary for the position of president, then I will vote for him, not because I think he is the best person for the job but because even he is better than Hillary. I remember George W. Bush once saying “I’m not the best man for the job, but I’m the best man running.” I never dreamed this comment could be applied to someone only because his opponent is so thoroughly awful that it would apply to almost anyone, but it is still worth remembering. I talk about options because so far I haven’t seen a single hint that Trump is, at heart, any different than the man we have been seeing in rallies, in press conferences, in media interviews, and in social media. But I’m willing to let him surprise me.

7. Amazona May 7, 2016 / 7:24 pm

What would a non-Trump GOP candidate mean to the election? It might mean stopping a migration of Republican voters to Hillary Clinton.

The disadvantage of having a candidate whose success depends on arousing strong passions is that the passions on the other side are just as deep, if not more so. There is a visceral thrill in having a candidate who gets mobs so charged up they are either swooning or nearly orgasmic, but the flip side of that energy is that the opposition feels every bit as strongly. I am more and more convinced that a rather boring candidate might be an advantage.

In the case of Donald Trump, a political figure even more polarizing than Hillary Clinton, there is a very real threat that anti-Trump Republicans might vote for her because their distrust of Trump runs so deep. In fact, the Democrat Party is counting on it.

Hillary Clinton Targets Republicans Turned Off by Donald Trump

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/07/us/politics/hillary-clinton-republican-party.html emphasis mine

“The campaign expects to assemble a “Republicans for Hillary” group, and Mrs. Clinton has, from her days in the Senate and as secretary of state, cultivated strong relationships with prominent Republicans and their top staff members. Mark Salter, a top adviser to Senator John McCain, this week expressed his support for Mrs. Clinton on Twitter minutes after Mr. Trump clinched his party’s nomination. Mrs. Clinton has also enjoyed a strong relationship with former Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates, a Republican, who described her as “a superb representative of the United States all over the world.”

In the past, Mrs. Clinton has praised David H. Petraeus, former director of the C.I.A., who is a Republican. In February, he said that Mrs. Clinton would be “a tremendous president.”
    Mrs. Clinton’s two-day swing across Appalachia this week served as the beginning of the campaign’s full-court press to convince persuadable white voters that she would run a more inclusive campaign than Mr. Trump — and to signal that she would cede no demographic group to him.

****************************

Mrs. Clinton’s pitch to Republicans reflects the grim political realities of 2016: More than half of the registered voters who said they would vote for Mrs. Clinton planned to do so in opposition to Mr. Trump, rather than in support of her candidacy, according to the CNN/ORC poll.

“Her bumper sticker for Republicans should be ‘Unified Against Trump’ or ‘Vote for the enemy. It’s important,’ ” said Ben Howe, a Republican and a contributing editor at the conservative online publication Red State, who posted the Clinton campaign’s #ImWithHer slogan on Twitter after Mr. Trump’s decisive victory in Indiana.

Or, as Jan Franck, 65, a retiree in Charleston, W.Va., put it after hearing Mrs. Clinton speak on Tuesday: “She could be a sock puppet running against Donald Trump, and I’d vote for her.”

A CNN poll, a poll taken by one of the most in-the-bag-for-Liberal media organizations out there, showed something I think is of incredible importance:

It might be oversimplifying to say that against a different opponent in the general election Hillary would lose “more than half” of her votes, but still, this is a very strong statement about the impact of having Trump as the only choice other than Hillary.

• M. Noonan May 7, 2016 / 7:39 pm

I am seeing a bit of that – it is insanity. Proof of it is that some of the GOPers saying they’ll vote for Hillary are actually asserting things like “the e mail scandal doesn’t matter”. This is just stupid – it is falling for Liberal Lies out of spite…and not so much, in my estimation, because of Trump, but because of Trump’s supporters (some of whom can be extremely nasty on social media).

Go down that route, and all one does is give liberals veto power over whom Conservatives can support – Trump goes down to a 60/40 defeat in November and they’ll shout for joy…and then they’ll find that in 2017, anyone whom a Conservative starts to like is labeled a “Trumpist” by the liberals. Any speech liberals don’t want to hear will be “Trumpism”. Any complaint about what liberals are doing will be called, “calling up the ghost of a discredited, Trumpist racism/sexism/homophobia/take-your-pick”.

There is nothing anyone can say about Trump which cannot be said about Hillary except for the overtly vulgar tone of Trump’s speech – that is it. That is the only difference, as far as any claim to moral propriety goes.

• Amazona May 7, 2016 / 7:54 pm

Separating Trump from the GOP would do a lot to quell that.

Letting Liberals make our political decisions for us, and define our ideology for us, is something we will need to address, starting with closed primaries or, better yet, caucuses, because caucuses call for a higher level of political involvement and I think provide more protection against the superficial attractions of demagogues.

We also have a couple of years before the next election to deal with the pseudo-conservatives like Hannity who not only drank the Trump KoolAid but set up his own little KoolAid stand to sell it to the public. Now, of course, like any good Liberal-at-Heart he is trying to weasel out of the consequences of his actions, bleating that he didn’t really promote Trump or give him special treatment or lick his boots or……………

And Coulter is dead to me.

• M. Noonan May 7, 2016 / 8:04 pm

I’m not even sure I want caucuses, at least as they are now. Perhaps only dues-paying members get to decide whom the party nominee is? I’m just spitballing here – but I can’t see anything other than Progressive twaddle in our entire system of selecting a Presidential candidate.

• Amazona May 7, 2016 / 7:59 pm

You can’t separate nasty Trump supporters from nasty Trump. He encourages them (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) he offers to pay their legal fees if they assault opponents, he threatens to reveal the room numbers of delegates who are not loyal to him, he maligns candidates and their wives on a very personal and insulting level. His supporters are, I think, a pretty accurate representation of the man himself.

I don’t participate in social media, but from the comments I have seen in responses to articles I have to say that the only one or two I have seen that are not stomach-turning in their vitriol and spittle-flying near-violent loathing of Ted Cruz simply say that in their opinion a lot is “broken” and Trump “will fix it”. Yes, in those fawning, adoring, simplistic terms.

• M. Noonan May 7, 2016 / 8:06 pm

They can be ferociously nasty – of course, no more nasty than the average run of Progressive Twitter SJW types. But I think that a lot of people on the right have, for the first time in their lives, felt some real heat, and they didn’t like it. I was advising them months ago to just not engage with the worst Trumpsters (as I’ve advised for a long time to not engage in SJW types). It just gets your back up and gets you down into the gutter with them.

• M. Noonan May 7, 2016 / 8:07 pm

And that’s another thing I don’t get – for years now Progressive SJW’s have been using Social Media to enforce their will upon society and now Trumpsters do it and people on the right are upset about it. It is just strange – it is like some people are simply shutting their minds off to the nastiness Obama midwifed starting in 2007.

• Amazona May 7, 2016 / 8:28 pm

It’s not the social media the Right are upset about, it is the content. Look at the difference between the tweets and posts of Cruz,for example, and Trump. It’s not the media, it’s the message.

And the message comes from the hearts of the Trumpsters and shows us how they really think and feel, just as Trump himself shows us how he really thinks and feels, when we pay a little attention.

ONE DAY after he thought he had the nomination sewed up he started talking about a different tax plan, suddenly supporting a higher minimum wage, and liberalizing the GOP stance on abortion. If that’s not proof he was just blowing smoke, the kind he knew would get a certain element of our society high, just to get their votes, I don’t know what would be. His minders valiantly tried to clean up his act, assuring us that the rude, crude, vulgar, vindictive attack dog Trump we were seeing is not the “real Trump” but just part of a strategy he was employing in the primaries (which was, I guess, supposed to make it all right) but it certainly has not calmed down now that he thinks he has no more Republican opponents. It’s who and what he is, and the social media eruptions of hate and violence and spite and malice are what those supporters are. And it has nothing to do with any medium chosen to send out those hateful messages. They could write them on parchment and leave them in hollow trees and it would be the same thing.

Nobody is shutting any minds to the nastiness of the Dem campaigns of late. On the contrary, we have been predicting an even nastier, dirtier, campaign from them this time, which is actually what has energized a lot of Trumpbots, who are proud of the fact that Trump knows how to fight dirty, is good at it, and likes it. “In the gutter” is a phrase I have heard, said in admiration of where they think Trump will excel. That’s his appeal. That’s what I have been saying all along—these people don’t want to elevate political discourse, they just want a nastier fighter than the other side has, so they can revel in the nastiness.

• Retired Spook May 7, 2016 / 8:38 pm

And Coulter is dead to me.

Ann Coulter was on our local drive-time talk radio show that comes on after Rush one day last week. I’ve never been a big Coulter fan, but when she said there were at least a dozen Supreme Court decisions that support the fact the Cruz is not a natural born citizen, she lost any smidgen of credibility she had with me.

• Amazona May 7, 2016 / 8:40 pm

Sorry, but I can’t sanitize incitements to violence, raging outbursts of pure demented hatred, vile and vicious name calling and so forth as merely bringing “real heat” to the Right.

What I am seeing is dismay at learning that there is no real difference at all between the Left and the Right for many people. Many on the Right are learning that the perception of one side being mouth-breathing personality disorder hatemongers and the other side being decent rational objective political analysts is not true at all, and in fact way too many who have postured as rational and serious politically conservative people were just looking for someone as nasty as the Dems to validate their own passions for hatred and violence.

It’s a rude awakening, and it is the very heart of the growing chasm between the conservative movement and the Trumpsters. We feel tricked, as the masks are falling away and we are seeing the exact same Identity Politics fanaticism on the alleged Right that we have been decrying on the Left. There is no difference between the willful blindness to the corruption represented by Hillary and the corruption represented by Trump, any more than there is much of a difference between the politics of Hillary and the politics of Trump, and there is a sense of deep disappointment in learning that so many putative conservatives are really just a personality fan club away from the other side.

• M. Noonan May 7, 2016 / 11:51 pm

Definitely, the Trumpsters have nothing to do with Conservatism – they are merely Big Government Nationalists/Populists…and the worst of them are Know Nothings. As for me, I have ancestors going back to the 1640’s, I have Jewish blood, I’m Catholic…and I can’t stand Nativists.

• Amazona May 7, 2016 / 8:58 pm

Coulter’s sharpness used to be funny. She used to make very good points and her scathing humor was not vicious. I saw her going off the rails when she not only turned into a Trumpbot but started using that sharp tongue in a very mean, hostile and damaging way, and she has gone so far I no longer have any use for her.

One thing that is funny, in a sad weird nutsy kind of way, is that if there is a legitimate concern about the definition of “Natural Born citizen” it would refer to Rubio, not to Cruz. When Cruz was born his mother was an adult American citizen who had spent the requisite number of years as an American resident—yes, there were specific rules regarding the ability of an American to automatically confer natural born citizenship on a child and those were the rules regarding a child born outside the country.

Rubio, however, was born to two people who were not citizens at the time of his birth. According to a popular interpretation of the 14th Amendment, he would have been a Native Born citizen because he was born in this country, but the general understanding of Natural Born citizen is born to a citizen father, which was later expanded to include a citizen mother. Natural Born is not the same as Native Born.

Coulter, as unbalanced as she has become, is still smart, and has to know this. A few months ago I was concerned about the eligibility of both Cruz and Rubio, and wrote about that here. I spoke with an attorney friend about this and did some research, and found several legal opinions on the subject, saying what I just said.

I predict some very serious challenges to the common perception of the intent and meaning of the 14th Amendment, as it confers citizenship to children born in this country to parents who are not at the time subject to the jurisdiction of any other nation. It was intended to convey citizenship to the children of slaves, who by dint of their being owned by Americans were not under the jurisdiction of any country but this one. However, a person who is a legal citizen of any country is under the jurisdiction of that country. The broad definition of citizenship being automatically conferred to anyone born here has been accepted for so long, it seems now to have attained validity for that reason, but with the advent of ease of international travel and the ability of people to come here specifically to give birth, a lot of serious legal scholars are realizing the amendment has to be examined a lot more closely.

As for prior Supreme Court rulings, they are not always carved in stone and have been overturned when new facts are brought to light or new, better arguments made.

• Amazona May 7, 2016 / 9:05 pm

A caucus requires face to face interaction with other members of the party, and discussion of the merits of your candidate vs the others. It requires more in-depth analysis of the strengths and positions of your candidate vs the others, and a more in-depth involvement in the political process in general. It shows more commitment to the process than just marking a box with a check mark or pulling a lever, and I think it gives a better assessment of the true support for a candidate.

It should require formal membership in the party in question, for a decent period of time prior to the caucus.