The Never Trump Betrayal

Ace brings up an article by David Horowitz about the Never Trumpers. The genesis of Horowitz’ article was a particular Tweet by Jonah Goldberg:

Re-asking a question I’ve been posing for three years: Please come up with a definition of good character that Donald Trump can clear.

To which Horowitz eventually replied:

He has an amazing family. He’s loyal to a fault. He loves the country that gave him a privileged life, He works around the clock for ordinary Americans, & their security. He would never appoint a treacherous individual to head the CIA. Wake up Jonah.Its a war & u cant be neutral.

Which, in turn, generated this reply from Goldberg:

This is total nonsense David. He’s not loyal to a fault. He’s not loyal to his wives. Read up on how he treated Roy Cohn ffs. He doesn’t work around the clock. He won’t read and won’t stop watching TV. I can’t tell if your head is up your ass or his.

Which is usually how it goes – Never Trump makes a blanket statement. Trump supporter offers a polite response which calls into question the Never Trump statement. Never Trump then gets really pissy and vulgar. I did a response, myself, fairly much in tune with Horowitz’ but I didn’t get a response. Not important enough – usually, the Never Trump in question just blocks me (I’m blocked by an awful lot of them…and others that have muted me).

You should read Horowitz’ whole article on it, but here’s the meat as far as I’m concerned:

The posture of these NeverTrumpers is transparently self-serving. It preserves their intellectual credentials as “conservatives,” and simultaneously takes them out of the line of fire from an increasingly vicious Left whose goal is to destroy Trump and his presidency, and—incidentally—conservative America. Sitting on the fence affords them new career opportunities—appearances on CNN and MSNBC and columns in the New York Times. All that’s required is that they avoid taking sides in the political war that is engulfing the country. All this reminds me of a memorable Trotsky sneer about liberals, whom he accused of being reluctant to step into the stream of political conflict because they were afraid to get their moral principles wet.

The main thing, in my view, about people like Goldberg and the rest of the Never Trumpers is that they refused their office. The Never Trumpers were provided position, wealth, and a megaphone in order to fight for us – because we, the regular folks, don’t have the time for it. We’re of the right – we have jobs and families to attend to. And not just jobs, but jobs where concrete results are demanded. The left has its legions of layabouts who have all the time and money in the world to engage in politics. We on the right don’t have that – and thus was set up things like NRO…and the whole host of publications and think tanks which were supposed to pitch into the battle with gusto, never giving the left a break and just hammering them relentlessly until the left was no more.

Trouble is, after five decades of doing this, we didn’t find ourselves on the verge of repealing Social Security, but on the verge of enacting Socialized medicine. The Conservative movement failed. Failed utterly. It was beaten at the game of politics thoroughly. It had become a sad and, at times, sick joke – we all just waited for the Conservative Movement surrender each time the left came up with a new demand. There are only two explanations for it:

1. Cowardice.

2. Treason.

Either they were afraid to fight the left, or they actually wanted the left to win – in either case, they were running a con. Just hoping they could be top of the Conservative heap and have honors and rewards without ever having to accomplish anything. And they dare to say Trump is a man of no character? People who lost every damned battle for 50 years have the gall to shoot arrows at someone else? How about at least a bit of humility, guys? Any chance of that, Jonah? Any even mild acknowledgement that you failed us? Nope. None of that. Just insults hurled at the one guy who is actually winning. And, guys, winning it pretty easy…showing the the left is a paper tiger. It could have been smashed, easily, time and again for the past 50 years. It just wasn’t. Which is why I go more towards “treason”…the understanding that these guys really didn’t want Conservatism…just some lower taxes and maybe a more muscular military than the left, as a whole, did. I think that Trump’s success, far more than any character flaw, is really what is getting their goat…he’s done more for Conservatism in 18 months than they did in 50 years…heck, he’s on pace to surpass even Reagan in Conservatism. This vulgar, New York real estate mogul is besting them…and, grrrr, he also slept with a Playmate, the bastard!

My Dad explained to me when I was young that being honorable is only partially a matter of good morals and manners. He explained to me that my grandfather knew some bad men in his time – real criminals. But crooks you could trust. That might seem a paradox, but such is human life. My grandfather could make (completely legal, it should be stressed) business deals with the crooks on a handshake and everyone kept their end of the bargain. The bad guys might have been running illegal gambling operations, but if they said they’d do X for you in return for Y, X would be done. The key, my Dad explained, was keeping your word. We’re all weak and prone to sin – we’ll also do a lot of things we’ll regret at a later date. It is, in a very real sense, something we can’t help…we’re human and prone to sin. But to break one’s word requires a special act of will. If I say I’ll do something for you…then I’m either going to do it, or I’m not. Unless I am dead, then I have to either perform, or prove myself faithless. I have to keep my word – because it is, in the end, all I’ve got. If you don’t trust me to keep my word, then what use am I to you?

The Conservative movement didn’t keep it’s word to us – they promised us an end to the New Deal and the Great Society in return for our loyalty. They delivered us “bake the cake” and an inch away from single payer healthcare. What good are they to us, now? Why should we trust them in the future? Meanwhile, Trump is keeping his word. He might be a vulgar lout. He might be everything bad they say about him…but, so far, he’s proven trustworthy…and that’s not only a definition of good character Trump clears, it is really the most important definition of character there is.

8 thoughts on “The Never Trump Betrayal

1. Ryan Murphy August 21, 2018 / 9:36 am

The only character they are interested in is skin deep. They are interested in wallpaper and facings rather than beam, strut and girder.

• Amazona August 21, 2018 / 11:46 am

Ryan, you are right. They have discarded any pretense of actual political philosophy and admitted that they are governed by Identity Politics. I doubt that they will ever be able to successfully resume the disguise of serious political commentary after these infantile spasms of hysteria and their indifference to the fate of the nation as they kick their heels on the floor in impotent rage.

• Ryan Murphy August 21, 2018 / 1:08 pm

There has been a remarkable sorting. You can see the ones who have some actual heft when they seem to ‘want’ to go into the ‘never trump’ land but get drawn back to reality, vs. those who try to reinvent reality, and reinvent their principles to support their feelings, and possibly as important their ego. When your entire core is your ego rather than reality or principle, the world becomes a distorted funhouse mirror.

2. Cluster August 21, 2018 / 9:39 am

Mark, thank you for writing this …. I agree 100% with every word and I hope more and more people say this publicly. Everyday, hard working conservatives HAVE BEEN BETRAYED and it took a brash NY billionaire Democrat to point that out to us. Trump has done more for conservatism than Goldberg, Kristol, McCain, et al, have ever done combined. They are all empty suits and I no longer trust them, nor listen to them.

3. Amazona August 21, 2018 / 11:44 am

To your list I would add, at the top, EGO. Big, dominating egos.

These people didn’t want Trump to win. To some extent, I understand and even agree with them, to a point. But it is an essential point.

I didn’t want Trump to win the primary. But once he did, I wanted him to win the presidency, and then I wanted him to be very very successful at being the president. But then, my ego was not involved. I was ignored, I did not prevail, and I moved on.

Because I was not a public voice, my old opinions were not part of a public consciousness, so I didn’t have to make a pubic shift to acceptance, and then my eventual change of heart was also pretty private. I’d like to think I have the moral and intellectual courage to admit I was wrong to a public audience, instead of just to a few here and in my private life. I do know that these people lack that moral and intellectual integrity.

These guys were out there, and saw themselves as very important and very influential arbiters of public and political opinion. And when their opinions were rejected, as I think they view the election, they simply could not get over it.

So what I see now is a collection of really big, really loud, very public temper tantrums. They didn’t get their own way, and they just don’t think that is fair. Because they see themselves as SPECIAL. Because we were SUPPOSED to be influenced by what they said. Because the trait they most share with the Left is the absolute conviction that the way they want things to be is the way things are SUPPOSED to be.

It’s ego.

There is some cowardice involved, as they do want to move out of the line of fire from the Left. They do want to be able to pull a Pontius Pilate and say “Hey, don’t blame US. We hate him too, and WE aren’t responsible for him.”

And there is a little bit of treason in there as well, if you accept the theory that the “meddling” by Russia was just the same old effort, modernized by the Internet, of wanting to stir up as much internal conflict and dissension as possible within the heart of America. If you accept that theory, then the #NeverTrumpers are, to use the new buzzword, COLLUDING with Russia in openly doing everything they can to hamstring the Trump administration, provide aid and comfort to the enemy, and in some cases support subversion of our electoral process and the Constitution itself by advocating the removal of a legally elected president.

They are totally indifferent to the damage done to the fabric of our society by their constant yammering of irrational hatred and promotion of divisiveness. They are living out the old theme of cutting off your nose to spite your face by being quite willing to damage the entire nation just to indulge in their spite, even to the point of turning over the government to the Left. (“Yeah THAT will teach them to ignore ME!”)

What it comes down to is that they are permanently isolating themselves from conservatism, while not being truly welcome by the Left except as Useful Idiots whose noise can be added to their own. I always liked Goldberg, thought his books were excellent, even read his column online though I don’t agree with or respect his take on Trump. But this nasty snarling response to Horowitz has tainted my opinion of him. It is just so petty and nasty.

It is also significant to realize the Goldbergs, et al, have to go back a decade or more to find some hooks upon which they can hang their outrage and moralizing. In their petty little tunnel-vision world, once they focus their telescopes on a specific snapshot in time that is all that matters and its import will carry on throughout time, even if that behavior does not.

• Cluster August 21, 2018 / 5:48 pm

Very well said ……

4. Cluster August 22, 2018 / 6:42 pm

Elizabeth Warren’s reaction to the murder of Molly Tibbets:

I’m so sorry for the family here and I know this is hard not only for the family, but the people in her community, the people throughout Iowa. But one of the things we have to remember is we need an immigration system that is effective, that focuses on where real problems are …………Last month, I went down to the border and I saw where children had been taken away from their mothers, I met with those mothers who had been lied to, who didn’t know where their children were, who hadn’t have a chance to talk to their was no plan for how they would be be reunified with their children. I think we need immigration laws that focus on people who pose a real threat and I don’t think mamas and babies are the place we should be spending our resources.

The death of Molly is not a “real problem” …………could there be any better example of the utter contempt liberals have for Americans and America?

• Retired Spook August 22, 2018 / 7:23 pm

I hope Liawatha really doesn’t realize just how offensive and repugnant that is to millions of Americans. I hope other Democrats follow her lead.