Open Thread

The RNC continues to set fundraising records and has buckets more money than the DNC. Now, don’t get too cocky about this – the Democrats have a vast network of non-party funding sources (the “dark money” they complain about when it isn’t them doing it), so it doesn’t mean the Democrats will be low on cash for 2020. But the fact that the RNC – under Trump – is breaking fundraising records does show that the new GOP is appealing to a large number of people. Keep in mind that every last thing the MSM does vis a vis politics from now until election day is to help Democrats and/or hinder Republicans. And they won’t shy away from just making things up, is that is required. From the MSM you simply will not get the true state of affairs…you’ll have to dig around a bit; because the truth is freely available. It just won’t be headlined or lead the nightly broadcasts. But if you look around you’ll find things like fundraising totals, crowd size, voter registration stats and such which will give you an idea of how things are going. Almost nothing is ever an actual surprise in politics – remember that Hillary cancelled her fireworks display a few days before the election. She knew – she knew – that she already lost the election about a week out from the vote. So did everyone else who was juiced in – they just didn’t tell us. Team Trump because they didn’t want anyone overconfident (and they’ll be like that again in 2020), Team Hillary because they were still hoping for a miracle…and the MSM because they were ordered by the Democrats to keep their traps shut about it.

Moonbats prepare to descend on Area 51. It is a bit of a joke, but from what I’ve heard about 50,000 people are going to a county with 5,000 residents, and that is going to put a huge burden on that county (as well as providing a bonanza of business: so, a bit of plus to the minus). Things like this are silly, but they can also get out of hand. I hope everyone just behaves themselves and has a good time. As for Area 51 – my Dad was out there frequently in the 80’s and early 90’s and assured me there are no Aliens there…but, that’s what They would want him to say, isn’t it?

China’s one child policy lead to a gigantic disparity in the number of boys and girls being born…and that, in turn, has lead to the price of a bride skyrocketing in China. A bride can set a family back 200,000 Yuan, that’s about $28,000 – and I don’t think that includes the cost of the wedding, etc. The more Progressives try to “fix” things, the worse they make them – and I find it enormously funny (mixed in with the overall tragedy) that this attempt at social engineering has simply allowed women to charge even more than they used to for the whole marriage and family thing. Hate to break it to ya, guys, but a woman – well, a wise woman – always looks for the guy who she believes can best take care of her. She might want the good looking, studly guy but she wants more the kind, strong man who looks like he can hold down a job and won’t go wandering off at the next pretty face. And in China, she’s getting that…because she’s so rare, now, that she’s commanding the whole country to bow before her.

180 thoughts on “Open Thread

1. ricorun August 21, 2019 / 7:45 pm

Mark: “I find it enormously funny (mixed in with the overall tragedy) that this attempt at social engineering has simply allowed women to charge even more than they used to for the whole marriage and family thing.”

In turn, I find it enormously funny that Mark didn’t notice the free market forces in effect. And then he said this, as if to further validate that he wasn’t thinking like a capitalist.

Come on, Mark, don’t be so naive.

2. ricorun August 21, 2019 / 8:08 pm

Sorry, this is the other thing Mark said that amused me: “China’s one child policy lead to a gigantic disparity in the number of boys and girls being born…and that, in turn, has lead to the price of a bride skyrocketing in China.”

Like, duh.

3. ricorun August 21, 2019 / 8:09 pm

I’m particularly interested in the phrase, “the new GOP”. How many (of the remaining 5 or so) regular people on this site really believe that what we’re experiencing now is a new GOP? I’ll go ahead and provide the first answer: you’re darned right! The GOP of today is NOT my father’s GOP. In fact, it is no longer MY GOP. For that reason I resigned my membership. It wasn’t because of Trump, I became an independent a while before that. But I still voted Republican much of the time. For example, I voted for Romney in 2012. I could go on — and on, and on, and on. But I’m wondering… how do the 5 (or so) regulars who remain on this site NOT suffer from whiplash, considering y’all have espoused in the past considerable dedication to an ideology that no longer exists in the GOP? I’ve even noticed that Mark himself has espoused pragmatism!!! Mark!! He’s been all about ideology in the past. And pragmatism is the very antithesis of ideology!! Moreover, pragmatism is the very thing that I have espoused endlessly, without change (and perhaps mor importantly, without conditions) since I first encountered this site — to great derision by the regulars, I might add. Pragmatism is, In fact, what my father’s GOP and my own GOP were fabled for. The GOP of ours was about what the science and research suggested worked best and cheapest in the long run, even if it cost more to implement in the short run. That’s been true ever since Eisenhower up until Bush Jr. That’s really when things started to turn.

• Amazona August 21, 2019 / 9:51 pm

rico, you silly screed is so packed with nonsense it is hard to know where to start.

First, to your love of what you call “pragmatism”. I remember some of your efforts to make your erratic and formless approach to politics sound coherent and reasonable, and your failure to do so. As I remember, it mostly boiled down to your inability to make up your mind about anything like a coherent philosophy of how best to govern the nation and your desperate effort to make this sound thoughtful instead of spineless by slapping the word “pragmatic” onto it.

The well-earned derision from us (and no doubt from most exposed to it) of your pride in not being able to identify, much less commit to, an actual concept of how best to govern the nation (“ideology”) in favor of just latching on the newest shiny thing was the appropriate response. You are still bragging that “pragmatism is the very antithesis of ideology!” Which is, by the way, one of the stupidest comments I have ever heard, and which depends entirely on your own personal definition of the words

The Republican Party was about, at least officially, the governing of the United States according to the Constitutional principles of a federal government severely restricted as to size, scope and power with most authority left to the states. (That, by the way, is IDEOLOGY.) Pragmatism comes into play when it is deemed necessary, for example, to trade a short-term goal for a long-term win. It does not, and never has, been the antithesis of ideology, but has been part of the playbook of how to implement an ideology. Over the years, the GOP became sucked into the concept of having the federal government expand its size and scope, which is when it started to drift away from the true, ideological, GOP and become more like the old Democrat Party. What we are seeing now is a demand that the GOP return to its roots and that those who have drifted to the Left admit that this is where they are most comfortable and stop pretending they are Republicans.

Your cockamamie “pragmatism” without a hint of ideology is like a football game where, when a team has the ball, a decision is made at that isolated moment about how to execute a play—but without any idea of why you are doing it, the purpose of the game, what you need to accomplish to achieve the purpose, etc. It is just one play after another, without them being connected or unified for a specific purpose.

You actually assert that “The GOP of ours was about what the science and research suggested worked best nd cheapest In the long run, even if it cost more to implement in the short run.”

Huh? What the hell are you babbling about? “Worked best” to accomplish WHAT? Because it is the WHAT that is the ideology, and without a coherent WHAT to work toward, based on a commitment to its purpose and its structure, “best and cheapest” is just jibber-jabber.

I don’t think I have ever seen such a coherently written explanation of total political ignorance as you just provided for us. You are really illustrating my point, arguing for the “best and cheapest” (most “pragmatic”) approach to accomplishing something you can’t identify, can’t quantify, can’t explain, can’t commit to, can’t defend and basically can’t understand that it even exists, which is just like working out the best play without knowing why you are in the game. and without the goal of even scoring, much less winning, because the purpose of the game and its rules are “ideology” and your concept of pragmatism is antithetical to ideology.

• Retired Spook August 22, 2019 / 4:05 pm

The GOP of today is NOT my father’s GOP.

No, your father’s GOP was perfectly content to be in the minority from the early 50’s till 1995 as long as they got to play golf and go to cocktail parties with their betters, the Democrats. Those establishment, Rockefeller Republicans still rear their ugly heads, but they are (hopefully) a dying breed.

• Amazona August 23, 2019 / 12:10 pm

Spook, rico has defined himself as an odd hybrid of Identity Politics (his perceptions of the GOP, then and now) and No Politics (I don’t have a political philosophy, I just drift along with whatever seems easiest/“pragmatic”).

That puts him right in the middle of the sheeple demographic, with the only difference being that he has a vague idea that he SHOULD have some sort of analytical approach to politics, so he has invented his strange definition of “pragmatic” so he can pretend he is thoughtful and analytical. And then he brags about his discovery of this amazing and advanced approach to politics.

4. ricorun August 21, 2019 / 8:57 pm

My sincerest apologies… it was Spook who advocated pragmatism above ideology. Again, my apologies.

• Amazona August 21, 2019 / 9:22 pm

Rico, since you brought up the word “ideology”, have you ever figured out what yours is?

So far the only “ology” we have ever seen from you is PATHology, an irrational and overpowering loathing of a man you don’t even know, based on the reports and analyses and interpretations of biased reportage. But as your hatred is focused on the president of the United States, one might expect or at least hope to find a kernel of actual POLITICS buried in the slime. So tell us, rico—are you just a happy little meat puppet dancing to the tune of your Leftist hate-mongering masters, or do you actually have anything more to you than sour surly nastiness? You know, like a coherent philosophy of how best to govern the nation?

I ask because I, like so many millions of people here and abroad, look at the president not through the tainted and toxic prism of personal loathing, but a concept of what we want our president to DO. Not, like you superficial paddlers on the surface of what you seem to think is political commentary, on persona or appearance or gossip or the other trivial things that seem to impress you so much, but on what the president DOES in furthering Constitutional governance.

I know, this is not only WAYYY over your head but no doubt of little interest to you, as it doesn’t provide the visceral thrill of a nice phlegmy snarl about the man but is just a boring analytical assessment of his abilities and his successes., but you might give it a try some day. You know, think for a moment or two about the best template for governance and then how to get it in place.

See, that’s what we did. And I doubt that people like you will ever get it.

Or, for that matter, WANT to get it. Wallowing and grunting in the mire is evidently much more to your liking.

• Retired Spook August 21, 2019 / 10:32 pm

I’ve never been an ideological purist and have always been more about right and wrong than Right and Left, but I don’t recall ever advocating pragmatism OVER ideology. For results oriented people (I know that concept is foreign to most Liberals) the two go hand in hand. As Amazona notes, ideology involves goals and pragmatism involves the best way to achieve them. But thanks for reminding us why we were not sorry to see you go several years ago.

5. ricorun August 21, 2019 / 11:15 pm

Amazona: “As I remember, it mostly boiled down to your inability to make up your mind about anything like a coherent philosophy of how best to govern the nation and your desperate effort to make this sound thoughtful instead of spineless by slapping the word “pragmatic” onto it.”

Actually, I don’t remember it that way at all, for good reason. My argument is, was, and always will be a search for what is best for the nation as a whole. That is my (pragmatic) ideology, and always has been. Now, you are right in saying that ideology is not irrelevant to forming opinions in that regard — it’s just that the ideology is not the leading consideration. In that regard, I appreciate Spook’s answer. But let’s suspend that argument for a moment. Let’s just say that you acknowledge that my viewpoint hasn’t changed. That much is obvious. So let’s examine instead how your viewpoint has changed. The last I heard is that you couldn’t support Trump because he couldn’t support your ideology. Obviously his viewpoint hasn’t changed much. So obviously yours has. Care to elaborate?

• Amazona August 22, 2019 / 3:40 am

Well, it is no surprise that you are only partly right. Back in 2016 I fought a Trump nomination, but as I always said, it was not that I thought he would be a bad president, I just thought his past would make him a bad candidate. Yes, I was a little concerned about his history of supporting Leftists. There were some areas of his political philosophy I found a little unclear. But as I also said, I used to be a Lib, so I know from experience that people can outgrow the silliness that is the core of most Leftist support in the United States.

As for Trump not supporting my ideology, I never asked him if he would or did, so that is kind of a silly comment.

I have also been quite candid about my growing appreciation for the job he has been doing, as he has laid to rest any qualms I might have had about him doing his job as president. It seems like every week he does something else I appreciate and admire, such as his support for Israel and his efforts to rein in the uncontrolled de facto fourth branch of government, that of federal agencies. I find myself cheering him on when he stands up to the thugs and bullies of the Left, and calls them out on their lies and hypocrisies but mostly I love the way he is handling the office of the presidency.

There are times I would like to shake him till his pants fray, times I wish I could duct tape mittens on his hands so he couldn’t tweet, times I wish he spoke a little more slowly to give his thoughts time to catch up. But, you see, while those describe the things that have people like you howling at the moon, I understand that they are superficial aspects of PERSONALITY, and I am a political person who does not evaluate the president based on the superficial annoyances that constitute the only things people like you can focus on.

I have profound respect for his courage and determination, as he is hounded every minute of every day by the jackals and carrion feeders of the American Left and their mindless puppets who are quite happy to tear down the country if they can destroy him.

You ask why I am still a Republican. What else could I be? PRAGMATICALLY speaking this is still a two party nation, and there is no way I could support the Left. I have been studying Leftism for decades and find it to be dehumanizing and brutal and oppressive. I am a committed and loyal believer in the brilliance of the Constitution of the United States as a governing document, and in this country at this time the party that comes closest to what I think is the best way to govern the nation is the Republican Party. It may not always succeed., but at least it doesn’t go into office with a plan to fail. And people like me are changing the party, pushing the spineless out and supporting the Constitutionalists.

I understand the need for those on the Left to pretend that supporters of Donald Trump are mindless puppets, but to believe that means to suspend logic and the evidence of your own eyes and ears. It is the Right, the people who support him, who fight for freedom of speech, while it is the Left that demands purity in Groupthink and advocates silencing those who do not comply. The Right believes that in a free nation there is a sequence that must be followed: first a crime is committed—that is, an act that is clearly defined by law as a crime, with a statute number and a description or definition. Then an investigation is mounted to find a suspect and evidence to convict him., though until that happens he is presumed to be innocent. On the Left, this is reversed, as we have seen with the State’s efforts to destroy Donald Trump—-a sequence in which a target was identified and then an investigation was mounted to find or invent a crime with which to charge him, while simultaneously announcing that he is guilty—and most on the Left go along with this., marching in lockstep with the State and chanting slogans and mindlessly regurgitating outrageous lies and smears. There is no better example of mindless puppet behavior than seeing post after post parroting the same lies and slanders and libels, in spite of the many facts proving them all to be untrue.

• Amazona August 22, 2019 / 4:01 am

Rico, you still have not explained how you can be pragmatic without a clear and coherent goal. You mouth some vague undefined pap about “what is best for the country” but without an underlying ideology that can fluctuate indefinitely depending on whose personality appeals to you or what promises attract you.

Like Spook, I am results oriented and a problem solver. One of the things I notice about Trump haters is that pragmatism is denigrated and ridiculed while those of us who see practicality in some of the approaches he takes are dismissed as mere mindless sheep in thrall to him,. He is pragmatic—if “A” doesn’t work he is willing to go to “B” and even all the way to “Z” if necessary—-but always to achieve a specific goal. Always to serve an ideology.

I am a horsewoman. I know from experience that if I want to lead a horse and he doesn’t want to follow me, I can’t make him. But if I step to one side, and he takes a step in that direction, once I get him moving I can almost always then lead him back in the original direction I had in mind. I apply this to life in general, and sometimes have to move in what does not appear to be the direction of my stated goal—but I always have that goal in mind. I think of this as pragmatic, but not in the loosey-goosey vague nonspecific way you define the term.

Let me put it this way: I challenge your use of the word, I do not accept your definition of the word, I don’t think you understand it, and I think that you use your bastardized misunderstanding of it to try to put what you seem to think is a sophisticated and thoughtful sheen on what is really just an inability to form and stick to a coherent thought. I don’t expect to influence your perception and I don’t really care. It is obvious that you are so deeply invested in the fantasy that you have perfected a realistic, admirable and functional system that you have to cling to it. And I can see why. It lets you gratify your ego without doing the heavy lifting of learning about different political structures, analyzing them and committing to one or the other. Your way lets you drift along, sometimes supporting one way, sometimes another, but assured in your own mind that this is really a legitimate political philosophy.

6. ricorun August 21, 2019 / 11:27 pm

Amazona: “So tell us, rico—are you just a happy little meat puppet dancing to the tune of your Leftist hate-mongering masters, or do you actually have anything more to you than sour surly nastiness? You know, like a coherent philosophy of how best to govern the nation?

Actually, it’s more a question for you at this point, wouldn’t you say? The “meat puppets dancing to the tune of your fearless leader” is, at this point, an accusation best leveled at the Republican rank and file, wouldn’t you say? More to the point, why are YOU still a Republican? I could understand if the GOP leadership resisted the takeover of the party, but they didn’t. And it’s getting worse over time, not better. Is it because they (and you) decided that principles and ideology didn’t count for anything? The only thing that seems to matter is political expediency, whatever it entails. Please tell me, because I’d really like to know.

• Amazona August 22, 2019 / 4:19 am

Your filter is defective. You see a “takeover of the party” and have some odd idea that some should have resisted this, when it is more likely (and closer to the truth) that the drift of some in the party toward the Left separated them from the origin and ideals of the party, creating a vacuum which is being filled by more idealistic and focused Conservatives. This desire to return to the political values of the party is the opposite of your strange claim that it really represents a decision “that principles and ideology don’t count for anything”. That is so backwards it is hard to tell how you ever came up with it. But you seem impressed with it, so much so that you go on to say “The only thing that seems to matter is political expediency”.

I understand that just as an atheist doesn’t understand faith a political atheist can’t comprehend political philosophy, but still—your distorted view defies the facts in front of you. It is obvious that the internal conflicts of the Republican Party are due to the idealistic, ideology-driven, faction butting heads with the dinosaurs who are identifying as Republican without wanting to support the ideology. I kind of feel bad for some of them—-they felt secure, and now the ground is shifting beneath them. But it is moving AWAY from political expediency, in the direction of allegiance to the ideology of the Constitution.

And you, whose take on “pragmatism” sounds like just another word for expediency, sound critical of what you claim is expediency.

Basically. you just don’t make sense, and as I said, your filters are seriously defective. What does manage to get through is so distorted it is unrecognizable.

• R. Murphy August 22, 2019 / 7:26 am

It’s more like the party is finally being taken back over by it’s base and kicking out usurpers, Rico. The Republican Party as it was was led by ‘usurpers’

7. ricorun August 21, 2019 / 11:32 pm

Spook: But thanks for reminding us why we were not sorry to see you go several years ago.

I understand. An echo chamber can be very soothing. It’s just not very informative.

• M. Noonan August 22, 2019 / 12:43 am

Here’s the funny thing: there are only a few of us who still comment (more lurk), but we some times have strong disagreements…where we marshal facts and present our competing cases. We never, not even once, got that from anyone on the Left. All we ever got from the Left was talking points…often posted with no relation to the discussion at hand.

• R. Murphy August 22, 2019 / 7:28 am

The only echo chamber around here is in your head, Rico. Where the unattached fragments of ideas that you claim are ‘pragmatism ‘ bounce around and collide into each other without ever making contact with reality on the way.

• Retired Spook August 22, 2019 / 8:20 am

LOL!! You nailed it.

Speaking of echo chambers, there are echo chambers on the Left as well, and they are generally much nastier and less civil, and almost totally devoid of intellectual honesty. I went over and read a few of the posts and comments at the alternative site that Cluster started several years ago, that, IIRC, Ricorun paricipated in. Once was enough, and I had to take a shower afterward. And “informative’ it was not.

8. Cluster August 22, 2019 / 8:39 am

Rico, are you still afraid to come to Arizona because of our “anti illegal immigration” laws. You and Casper once mentioned that so thought I would check in.

And Rico is worried about the GOP ???? Wow. Trump has accomplished more conservative goals than any President since reagan and he is currently out pacing Reagan. So yes, that is real life pragmatism spawned from long held ideologies.

And as I type, Morning Joe is interviewing some transgendered looking person about “environmental racism”. It seems that Democrats are hell bent on pandering to the oddest elements in this country and their most delusional complaints. They have become that party of misfit toys.

9. Cluster August 22, 2019 / 8:47 am

From the YCMTSU file …. Morning Joe is talking with pencil neck Adam Schiff this morning on ……. wait for it ……. CIVILITY.

That’s right. The man (and I use that term loosely) who tried to destroy Brett Kavanaugh based on zero evidence and the man who continues to investigate Trump based on again ZERO evidence, is now the go to person re: civility according to Morning Joe.

After 3 years of exhaustive investigations, Schiff says that they are still investigating ….. LMAO. The Barney Fife of Congress. WTF are these people?

• Retired Spook August 22, 2019 / 8:53 am

WTF are these people?

I think “the party of misfit toys” is far and away the best description I’ve heard so far. I will say this about the Left/Democrats: they have mastered the art of projection.

10. Cluster August 22, 2019 / 9:35 am

Ricorun – Please tell me, because I’d really like to know.

LMAO. I think I heard George Bush, Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, etc., etc. say the same thing. They just can’t understand why their feckless, milquetoast leadership wasn’t appreciated.

You’re damn right Rico, this is not your GOP. This is “in your face” conservatism – moving the embassy to Jerusalem, cutting taxes and regulations, confronting trade discrepancies, calling out bad actors, and most importantly mocking pajama boys like yourself.

And the irony of ironies is that it took a NY billionaire Democrat to show the GOP how it’s done.I honestly haven’t seen Democrats this mad since we freed their slaves back in 1865.

11. Retired Spook August 22, 2019 / 9:40 am

I’ve had a lot going on the last week or two and have been remiss in posting the quote of the day. One of my all-time favorite quotes is particularly apropos given the nature of the discussion in this thread:

“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.” Eleanor Roosevelt

You would be hard-pressed to read through the comments section of any progressive site and find a discussion of the merits of Leftist ideas.

12. Retired Spook August 22, 2019 / 5:36 pm

Looks like Liberals are still trying to figure out how to pick up a turd by the clean end.

• Cluster August 22, 2019 / 6:13 pm

AND not to be outdone by the insane legislature in SF, the CBS morning show linked everything wrong with world back to slavery. Even universal healthcare:

According to the Times journalist, slavery, which ended in 1865, is the reason America doesn’t have total government-run health care ……………. “And so even today, you see with polling white Americans will reject social programs if they think large numbers of black people will benefit from them. So, the harms from slavery have not been contained because there are millions of white Americans, there are millions of Latinos and Asians and black Americans who don’t have health care, who can’t get insurance because of slavery.”

YCMTSU. These people have lost their minds. I will also say once again that the expectation of universal health care is completely selfish and those who support it should be shamed. How on earth does anyone have the right to demand that someone else take care of them in their time of need? I have never figured that one out.

• Amazona August 23, 2019 / 12:29 pm

1.) This is typical of the Left: Inventing, out of whole cloth, a litany of lies and then claiming that their invention is an accurate description. The more foul and vile and dishonest and totally lacking in any semblance or element of truth, the more they love it and the more they shout it from the rooftops.

But we have to remember that their bait is specific to their target. That is, they are trying to appeal to a certain kind of mentality, one that seeks out and then feasts on the ugliest, the most hateful, the most despicable, because that is what they want to wallow in and all they need is something to validate this mental aberration and assure them that it is not a mental illness but is, in fact, a sign of morality and acumen. If you want to draw in predators and scavengers, you bait your traps with rancid rotten meat, and this is well understood by the Left. That is how something like “…white Americans will reject social programs if they think large numbers of black people will benefit from them….” gets published. The Left knows the stench will attract the kinds of people they want. There is nothing outside the sick and evil minds of the propagandists to support or even inspire such a vicious lie, but it is what the Left does, and what it and its puppets (such as the NYT) uses to attract and feed their personality disordered base.

2.) The lie that these named victim classes do not have access to health care is one the Left constantly promotes. It’s just a new twist that the reason these people “can’t get insurance” is because of a limited economic system that existed in only a small part of our nation more than 150 years ago.

Sadly, there is a market for this kind of mental sewage. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Simper Simon cite it in one of his squeaks.

13. simoneee9 August 22, 2019 / 11:58 pm

So the President is boasting of the dollar being the strongest it’s ever been (hint: it’s not) but also complaining about the trade deficit at the same time?

Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States.

• Retired Spook August 23, 2019 / 9:37 am

And your point is?

• Cluster August 23, 2019 / 9:50 am

Does simon ever have a point? He is just a whiner. He is grossly ill informed and his ignorance is reinforced by the media everyday … in fact I will bet he just regurgitated what he heard or read in the media, really not knowing how the two concepts are connected.

He probably thinks America is a democracy like the MSNBC panelists constantly get wrong.

• Amazona August 23, 2019 / 12:17 pm

Yes, Simper Simon is a whiner, isn’t he?

I’m not sure what he thinks he is accomplishing with his silly Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States. It is obvious that pretty much everything Trump does or says, or is accused of doing or saying, twists Simon’s panties into a damp little wad, and that’s fine. He can choose to be a mindless little twit. It’s not as if anyone cares. But he seems to think that if he points to the things that he finds so significant in some weird simonesque way we will also be appalled and join him in his twittering and fussing and twitching.

That’s because he doesn’t have a mirror, so he can’t see himself the way others see him, and doesn’t realize that he and his whining and fretting simply do not matter to anyone.

• rgrg2 August 23, 2019 / 2:27 pm

“in fact I will bet he just regurgitated what he heard or read in the media, really not knowing how the two concepts are connected.”

Do you know how they are connected? From your responses, it seems that you may not.

• Amazona August 23, 2019 / 2:58 pm

Gee, rgrg2, why don’t you explain it to us?

14. Cluster August 23, 2019 / 1:43 pm

So this is something simon might get … doubt it but you never know. Yesterday, Barack Hussein Obama was surprised by “how much money I have”, and yes he actually said that in public. This is from a man who once said that you “only need so much money”, and that you can’t set your thermostat to 72 and drive your SUV and expect the rest of the world to accept that.

Meanwhile, the Obama’s are buying a multi million dollar estate right on the ocean. Again, this is from a man who claims that climate change will cause the oceans to rise.

Can you see a pattern here simon?

• Amazona August 23, 2019 / 2:17 pm

Well, it’s hard to keep track of how much money you have when it just appears in your bank accounts without you ever doing a single thing to legitimately earn a single dollar.

• Amazona August 23, 2019 / 2:16 pm

But that’s because most non-citizens committing crimes being arrested are only targeted due to RACISM !

Do try to keep up. //sarc off

15. rgrg2 August 23, 2019 / 2:26 pm

So today Nothing But A Showman used the phrase “hereby ordered” to private American corporations, demanding that they change their means of production and business decisions. To whit, “Our great American companies are hereby ordered to immediately start looking for an alternative to China, including bringing your companies HOME and making your products in the USA . . . Also, I am ordering all carriers, including Fed Ex, Amazon, UPS and the Post Office, to SEARCH FOR & REFUSE all deliveries of Fentanyl from China (or anywhere else!).”

So, which part of the Constitution grants him the authority to tell private enterprise who to do business with, and how they should do it? Maybe the Commerce Clause? Is this a part of conservative ideology that has been held back by RINOs all these decades? Or is it just a part of the new pragmatism that has infected conservatives? I mean, the federal government dictating the means of production seems like it’s getting pretty close to—shutter—socialism, don’t you think? Is that the form of conservatism that only Donald Trump, who refers to himself as “the chosen one,” could unleash?

• Amazona August 23, 2019 / 2:43 pm

How about making a declarative statement or two, and defending it, so it can be discussed? This coy pretend-questioning ploy is tiresome, but then all we can expect from someone who doesn’t really have an actual coherent thought of his own and is just trying to stir up something.

You also sound rather distressed at the idea of limiting the amount of fentanyl brought into the country. Hmmmmm

Last night in a discussion at my house, Trump’s Executive Orders and tweets were discussed, and I suggested that he often issues very broad EOs, knowing they will be challenged but as a strategy to (1) bring them into public discourse and (2) forcing them into the courts, which have so far studiously ignored them.

• Amazona August 23, 2019 / 2:44 pm

The next time you decide to “shutter” please let us know. I’d like to see that.

• rgrg2 August 23, 2019 / 3:00 pm

I am asking you (and others here) serious questions so that I might better understand how Nothing But A Showman is the embodiment of your political philosophy:

1. Under what Constitutional authority does the president of the United States have the authority to order American corporations who to do business with and how to do it?

2. How do such orders confirm to your philosophy of limited federal government as defined by the Constitution?

As for fentanyl, I didn’t say a word about it–Nothing But A Showman did–so I don’t know how you could infer that I am “rather distressed” at the idea of limited the amount of it entering the country.

• Amazona August 23, 2019 / 4:48 pm

Aww, how precious of you, pretending that you are serious and asking serious questions. How darling.

But…The President has no Constitutional authority to order any American corporation to do legitimate, legal, business with any legitimate, legal, entity. .

What seems to have gone right over your head Is the simple fact that he did not order any corporation or entity of any kind to do business with any other entity. If you disagree, please cite the quotation. And he most definitely did not order any corporation to do anything to change its means of production or even its business decisions. You just made that up.

But as one whose position as the head of the Executive Branch, which is the branch of government that includes our justice department, which is our national law enforcement branch, he does have a duty to the law. If you want to argue that the head of that branch of government has no authority regarding the possible criminal activity of foreign companies please lay out that argument. That is related to his comment about restricting fentanyl imports, a comment you chose to include in your rant.

Keep in mind, I responded and am responding to the quotations you included in your post. If you were talking about some other statements, and/or didn’t what any words in those quotes addressed, you should have found some way to indicate that. Including those quotes did indicate that they formed part of your sense of wrongness.

But back to Trump’s words: Until and unless the President TAKES AN ACTION which I believe exceeds his Constitutional authority, I am not unhappy. I am not aware of any formal Executive Order which does, in fact, order any corporation or any other entity to do ANYTHING, and if there were such an order which “ordered” any entity to investigate the possibilities of taking different actions in the pursuit of a stronger domestic economy, I might find it a little bossy but hardly worth becoming so incensed that I would have to rush to a blog site to carry on about it.

And “carry on” is a pretty good description of your out-and-out lie about what he said. Because you said he DEMANDED that corporations “…change their means of production and their business decisions”. Yet that is not what the President said. What he said was START LOOKING for an alternative to China”. Such a big difference, and such an indictment of your honesty or intelligence related to your ability to process the written word or, more likely, both.

I guess if I had internal filters that automatically distorted every incoming message from someone I don’t lie to twist it into something I could use to try to justify irrational loathing, I too might find myself pulling a Roseanne Roseannadanna and going off on some rant about something that no one really said. But I don’t. I live in the real world, where words mean what they mean.

And I use words correctly, never saying stupid things like “to whit” and “I shutter to think…” I guess precision in thought is related to precision in speech, which explains why you are so lacking in both.

• Cluster August 23, 2019 / 4:45 pm

Wow the ignorant trolls are out today. RGRG may be the brightest in the bunch but that’s not saying much. I will first address simon’s screed about the dollar and trade that RGRG jumped in on. First of all, the dollar is at a year high:

So that’s the first thing simon got wrong. Secondly, many economies around the world, ie; China are faltering largely due to the trade imbalance and battles, and that has been a contributing factor to the dollar strengthening as has our regulatory environment which has been greatly reduced over the last couple years. The dollar would be stronger if were not for the Fed keeping rates artificially high particularly against other countries current rates and that is how it plays in to trade. Germany actually has negative interest rates right now – how do you compete against that? If we were on equal footing with other countries in terms of rates, you would see a rush to the bargaining table by our competitors and a real consideration to relocate back home by many American companies operating overseas. We are the worlds reserve currency so we are completely incapable of monetary shenanigans that many other countries employ to take advantage of our markets.

Re: RGRG’s obsession with Trump –

1. He ordered them to “consider alternatives” to which you inferred to mean “controlling production” and “how to conduct business”, which is just intellectually lazy and stupid. There is nothing wrong with demanding that US companies consider alternatives.

2. Moot question since your premise is completely wrong.

Nice of you to drop in

• Amazona August 23, 2019 / 4:55 pm

Not sure how rgrg2 could be considered the brightest in any bunch.

OK, I have a bunch of bananas. He would be the brightest in that bunch—but it would be a close call.

As Ricky in Trailer Park Boys said of his calculator: This thing here is probably smarter than me but it has a battery

• Amazona August 23, 2019 / 4:58 pm

He’s hardly the only Lefty who simply restates a comment in a dishonest way to try to shore up his side of the hate industry.

Don Lemon said of Byrne: “He is a conspiracy theorist of sorts [but] not [like] the ones we were talking about yesterday, with the guy calling President Donald ‘the second coming,’” he said.

Yet NO ONE ever said Trump was “the second coming”. NO ONE. It never happened. It is a lie. Therefore, the kind of distortion Lemon is famous for.

“Earlier this week conservative radio show host Wayne Allyn Root said that the Jewish people in Israel love the president “like he is the second coming of God.”

It’s just what they do, because it’s just who they are.

• rgrg2 August 23, 2019 / 6:31 pm

Yet NO ONE ever said Trump was “the second coming”.

To quote Donald Trump:

“Thank you to Wayne Allyn Root for the very nice words. “President Trump is the greatest President for Jews and for Israel in the history of the world, not just America, he is the best President for Israel in the history of the world…and the Jewish people in Israel love him….

….like he’s the King of Israel. They love him like he is the second coming of God…But American Jews don’t know him or like him. They don’t even know what they’re doing or saying anymore. It makes no sense! But that’s OK, if he keeps doing what he’s doing, he’s good for…..

…..all Jews, Blacks, Gays, everyone. And importantly, he’s good for everyone in America who wants a job.” Wow!
        @newsmax

@foxandfriends

@OANN

• Amazona August 23, 2019 / 7:26 pm

LIKE he is the King of Israel.

LIKE he is the second coming

Are you seriously arguing that you don’t understand the use of the word LIKE in this context? Really? Because if you are, I could believe it, based on the nonsense and dreck you post, your misuse of even the simplest words, and you evident inability to process the written word.

And the statements were made by a third party, not even about Trump but about the extent to which so many people admire him.

So one man refers to the attitudes of many others saying Trump is held in such high esteem by them it is AS IF he were thought of in those terms—and you run this through your rico filter and it comes out that Trump said, about himself, that he is the King of Israel and the second coming of God.

I’d say the calculator would be smarter even without a battery.

That’s a really special kind of stupid.

• Cluster August 23, 2019 / 8:08 pm

This “chosen one” argument is laughable coming from someone who along with many drooled over the previous President. The One We have All Been Waiting For. We had to live through that dreck for 8 years.

• rgrg2 August 23, 2019 / 8:18 pm

No. I thought Nothing But A Showman’s tweet was self explanatory. I didn’t feel the need to point out the word “like” because it was right there. I guess I was wrong. The point is, this is the context for recent news discussions using “Trump” and “second coming of God” in the same sentence.

That said, this is clown-level stuff by Nothing But A Showman, to thank someone for likening him to the second coming of God. But I guess that’s why you all love him. He’s both ringmaster and clown at the same time. What a feat.

• Amazona August 23, 2019 / 2:55 pm

Do you realize that being “ordered” to look into options is not really a command to actually take any action? Or is the term “order” all it takes to make you giddy and breathless with outrage? Does “start looking for an alternative ” convey some deep, dark, sinister message? Is it a dog whistle? Is it a code? Do tell us, how does this fit into the lexicon of Leftist interpretations of what Trump says?

And while you are at it, what in anything he said indicates a desire, or effort, “to dictate the means of production” of ANYTHING? I’m pretty sure companies, and individuals, are not allowed to do business with criminal enterprises, but you seem fretful that the President is telling American companies “don’t do business with criminal enterprises”. Is it your assertion that all fentanyl coming in from all foreign nations is legitimately ordered by medical businesses to be legitimately used and sold? If so, just speak up and tell us all about it.

Uh, Donald Trump WAS chosen by Americans to be president. Did he actually use the term “I am the chosen one” in any context other than that of winning an election? Or those exact words at all? Because it’s not really that hard to understand. Donald Trump was the chosen one, Hillary Clinton was the rejected one.

• rgrg2 August 23, 2019 / 3:03 pm

Oh that’s ridiculous. Even by your definition, being ordered “to look into options” is in fact an order to do something. Good grief.

• Amazona August 23, 2019 / 4:13 pm

You are so right, rgrg2. Being ordered to look into options DOES mean “an order to do something”.

To be specific, it means an order to look into other options. “Go look into other options”. No more, no less. Unless you, like rgrg2, pay more attention to the voices in your head than what real people really say.

An order to act on another option would be something like “Now act on that other option”. Good grief. Your poor life must be awfully chaotic if you are so easily misled by simple statements. (Which brings us back to those voices in your head.)

• Retired Spook August 23, 2019 / 3:17 pm

Trump says stuff like that just to get a rise out of people like Simon and Rg. It seems to be working.

• rgrg2 August 23, 2019 / 6:28 pm

That’s really it, isn’t it, Spook? The overriding tenet of conservatism these days is, “anything to own the libs.” You guys jump through all sorts of hoops to justify behavior that you never would have accepted from any president in the past. According to your rationalization, Spook, official statements from the president in which he “hereby orders” corporations to do something are not to be taken literally, or even seriously, because it’s just a big troll of liberals.

You guys mocked Barack Obama endlessly as “the chosen one,” and yet when Donald Trump proclaims himself “the chosen one,” you come up with rationalizations. “Well, uh, the American people did choose him to be president, so, uh, he actually is the chosen one. Forget all that stuff we said about Obama. It doesn’t count anymore.”

• Amazona August 23, 2019 / 7:35 pm

rgrg2, your studiously stupid and baseless claim to understand the even the most basic characteristics of conservatism is on proud display yet again. You have an amazing, and obviously well-nurtured, ability to twist everything until it is unrecognizable to anything but the nasty voices in your head.

You still haven’t told us when Trump stated that he was “the chosen one”. I don’t remember Obama saying this about himself—it was the fawning attitude of the adoring acolytes swooning in his presence who acted as if he was the Messiah. I still remember a rack of magazines soon after his first election with the same headlines: THE ONE WE HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR !!!! I did not make excuses for Trump saying he was the chosen one, because I don’t believe he did. I merely pointed out that technically, in political terms, he is. You see, there was an election in which the public voted and chose a new president. Chose. The choice was made according to the rules of the Constitution. But though WE chose him, and he has acknowledged that—as any sane person would—-I don’t believe he has made the comment you persist in claiming he did.

You seem quite obsessed with putting the sewer of your brain on display, highlighting its bizarre perceptions, its passion for inventing ugly and distasteful lies, and the extent of your pathological loathing for a man because he represents an Invented Other, invented solely to entertain the likes of you and your kind. You seem to rummage around in the muck and mire to drag out one reeking example after another of what you seem to think are wonderful and worthy of admiration and praise. It’s like “Look at THIS turd! It started out as a brain fart, but liked the smell so much I developed it into a shart and kept working on it till it took this lovely form, which I insist on posting to show people the real me.”

There is literally not a word of truth in your unhinged rant. Not a syllable. All it is is a profile of what kind of mentality it takes to be on the Left in 2019’s United States of America. And it is ugly, ugly to its breadth and depth.

• Cluster August 23, 2019 / 8:11 pm

RGRG you were just fine when we were offering up people like Bush, Romney, McCain, etc., men of whom would roll over the minute you (Democrats) attacked them.

Those days are over son. I don’t care about your feelings or your ideas. Sit down, shut up and let us get things done.

• Amazona August 24, 2019 / 1:42 pm

Make up your mind. This huge IT was either on the news or on CNN.

So, contrary to the way you seem to have taken the comment, which was apparently that Trump said he was chosen by God to…..something something…. what he really said was in a context totally removed from the spiritual or metaphysical.

“He said that someone had to take on China, and looked up at the sky in a dramatic flourish.
        “Somebody had to do it – I am the chosen one,” he said.”

And it was THIS that got your panties all twisted? Really? You have to find something offensive in THIS?

First, as the president of the United States and therefore the American deputized, so to speak, to speak to China and deal with the problems associated with China, he was “chosen”. But the comment was also a joke, which of course the humorless surly sourpusses of the Left could never possibly recognize. But to those of us not embedded in the Lunatic Fringe of the Left, Trump-Haters Chapter, it was clearly tongue-in-cheek.

You need to get a life. Your posts remind me of the adage “If you can’t get your head out of your (rear end) the view never changes.” Your view is consistently what one would expect from that vantage point, with the same odor.

• rgrg2 August 23, 2019 / 8:20 pm

That’s the level of maturity we’ve come to expect from you, Cluster.

• Amazona August 24, 2019 / 1:53 pm

It looks like poor rgrg is now concerned about “maturity”—-after posting infantile temper tantrums and juvenile parroting of nonsense, he is not only now a self-appointed arbiter of the maturity of others but finds maturity, suddenly, important. Who knew?

The funny thing is that what you said, Cluster, is what we have to say to the shrieking, squealing, constantly triggered, hysterical, hyperventilating hate-seeking howling temper tantrum soiled-diaper Left. “Just STFU and get out of the way. You are not accomplishing anything useful or productive, you are in fact acting as de facto agents of the Left (including Russia) by spending all your time trying to aid them by contributing to the destabilization of our society and the fracturing of our culture and you are nothing but wannabe speed bumps. The grownups are getting important work done, in advancing the return to Constitutional governance, and you are just noise. ” Annoying noise, but just noise. It is not immature to notice this.

You know what it is? Pragmatic.

• Cluster August 24, 2019 / 9:15 am

I paraphrased Obama RG. Remember when he said that people like me had to “sit in the back of bus” while he got us “out of the ditch”.

Was Obama immature? See you can dish it out RGRG but you can not take it, and that is what is happening in America. Liberals like you are being punched in the mouth for the first time and you don’t know how to react. It’s fun to watch

• Retired Spook August 24, 2019 / 9:29 am

No, the “overriding tenet of conservatism.” is still small, unobtrusive government, individual liberty and personal responsibility, and adherence to the Constitution and the rule of law. But I can’t deny that most of us are enjoying the way Trump lives rent free in Liberals’ heads. And it isn’t so much that we wouldn’t have accepted similar behavior from any previous president. I just can’t picture Reagan, Bush 41 or Bush 43 speaking and behaving in that way. Trump is a street fighter, which is precisely what we need against a radically unhinged Left right now. And it’s not like we didn’t know what we were getting. I think many, if not most Conservatives were tired of being a door mat for the Left. We WANTED someone who would take the gloves off and punch back, and we got that in spades.

• Amazona August 24, 2019 / 1:44 pm

Yeah…what he said

16. Amazona August 23, 2019 / 2:38 pm

I pretty much stopped watching TV a few weeks/months ago. When the days get long, as an agro-American I tend to be working till the sun sets, and that is too late to bother with TV. Not to mention that there isn’t much I want to see.

But my basement has been turned into a mini-hospital, as my brother is here after more than two weeks in the hospital with a badly broken leg and my big sunny walk-out basement is ideal for him. I moved a tall bed with a lift mechanism into my family room and he is holding court there for friends and family and finally putting my big screen TV to some use other than the Super Bowl. He has the TV on a lot so last night while we were visiting I happened to catch the Martha McCallum interview with Peter Byrne. I expected this to be like an explosion in the media today, and all I am hearing is crickets.

It was hard to find anything about the interview. I finally had to google Martha’s name and yesterday’s date to find a reference even on Fox, and then with his name (which I had forgotten) I could dig up a little information on him and what he said.

Right now, I am thinking that the silence in the Complicit Agenda Media is as significant as what he had to say—which was hard to follow. His speech patterns and his rush to cram as much into a sentence as possible while ostensibly trying to edit what he was saying made his interview, as one site called it, “word salad”. But sifting through it, it appears that he was saying that he was approached by “men in black” and asked to court and at least appear to have a relationship with Russian agent? Maria Butina, with the goal of getting her accepted and then introduced to Republican presidential hopefuls, so that anyone with whom she could be associated would then automatically come up on FISA radar and be considered fair game for being spied upon. The names included Rubio and Trump and a couple of others, but the focus was narrowed to Trump as it appeared he would get the nomination. He said that the whole thing appeared more and more fishy as time went on, and he became more and more skeptical of the claim that he was serving his country by hanging out with Butina and essentially planting her in inner circles of Republican politics.

He also said that watching the Strzok questioning by the House made him realize that Strzok was the connection with the men in black, directing them and by extension Byrne. He said that Barr has all his information in sworn statements and that his contacts eventually included men he referred to as X, Y and Z Evidently in a CNN interview he identified Z as Comey.

The interview was rather excruciating, as it was hard to follow sometimes, but even so it contained so many bombshells my brother and i would look at each other and say something to the effect of “Did you hear THAT?”

theconservativetreehouse.com has some good stuff on it, and some of the most thoughtful comments I have seen on an online article.

So…why the silence? It is like all the media are whistling and looking off into the sky, ostentatiously ignoring this and determined not to notice the big explosion going on right in front of them. Or am I making too much of what appears to be a case of “First snitch gets the best deal” and thinking Byrne might be the iceberg to the DNC/FBI Titanic.

• Retired Spook August 23, 2019 / 3:15 pm

Glen Beck was talking about Peter Byrne, (the founder of Overstock.com, IIRC) this morning on the radio. I kept getting interrupted and didn’t catch all of it, and we didn’t watch The Story last night. Sounds like maybe the deep state conspiracy may be about to come unraveled.

Correction – it’s Patrick Byrne, not Peter.

• Cluster August 23, 2019 / 4:52 pm

This Byrne thing is interesting. I haven’t read much about it yet but how in the hell is the Overstock.com CEO involved in this?

I hope this Deep State coup ends up at the door step of Loretta Lynch and Barack Obama and slaps them hard. Obama spent his entire presidency spying on Americans and journalists while bowing to dictators. Why hasn’t any media person asked “what did Obama know and what did he do about it” in re: to Russian meddling. I have never heard anyone ask that question.

• Amazona August 23, 2019 / 5:12 pm

Byrne is an attractive, wealthy and successful businessman who is gregarious and wanted to serve his nation. He was evidently targeted by the Deep State to act as a surrogate for the government agencies involved in the corruption and efforts to control the election and keep a radical Leftist in the White House.

He was approached by some people he calls “the men in black” he took to be representing the government and given some song and dance about serving his country by seducing a pretty Russian. His details here ae sketchy but he says they are all in sworn statements in the hands of the DOJ.

He eventually came to distrust his handlers, distrust the stories he had been told about why he was asked to do what he was asked to do, only went through the motions of reinstating a relationship with Butina, and when he saw Strzok’s testimony realized he had to have been the one behind the men in black and their instructions to him. Along the way he says he became aware of the involvement of Comey and others. At one point in his rambling interview he said the instructions came “from the top” and did not deny that this meant the White House.

Gleaned from his interviews with McCallum and CNN and another journalist, he seems to be saying his assignment was to introduce Butina to powerful people associated with people like Rubio and Trump, and that when it was clear that Trump would be the nominee to focus on Trump. He believes this was to set up a scenario for the Deep State in which they could say that because Trump was associated in some way to some degree with a Russian agent he could automatically be put under surveillance. In other words, Butina’s role was to be attached in some way, no matter how superficial, to Trump or his campaign, to justify FISA investigations, and Byrne was the mule assigned to carry her into the circles where she was most likely to be able to initiate contact with Trump, or a Trump, or even someone high up in his campaign.

• Amazona August 23, 2019 / 5:31 pm

This is an old article, from July 26, about Byrne. A lot has surfaced since then. If you listen to his McCallum interview you can see how hard it is to make sense of some of the things he says, because he tries so hard to convey so many details on so many levels—his emotions, the government handlers, his relationship with Butina, etc,—that it is kind of garbled. And my take on the distillation of it is not guaranteed to be accurate.

In case it sounds too far-fetched that a pretty redheaded woman could be a spy, go back to the infamous sexpot spy Anna Chapman. There is no reason to think CBS did a good job on her story, but I didn’t take time to look for any others. However, in a seminar on international espionage the espionage experts and consultants and former spy handlers spent a lot of time on her story.

• Amazona August 23, 2019 / 6:25 pm

The reason you have never heard anyone ask that question is because it is racist. Just like every other question ever asked of Obama.

17. JeremiahTMM August 23, 2019 / 7:25 pm

18. Cluster August 24, 2019 / 9:23 am

So I am hoping RGRG, Ricorun and simon are still lurking about because I have a question I want them to answer. Just now on MSNBC Eddie Glaude thinks America needs to “stop dancing around” and call out Trump. Eddie contends that America is “browning” (his word) and that Trump is terrified of that and along with Stephen Miller is running a “white supremacist” agenda.

Do you believe that?

19. Cluster August 24, 2019 / 10:07 am

While watching Joyless Reid on AM Joy on MSNBC this morning I had an epiphany. These people just don’t suffer from delusion … they are just weird and ugly people. Freaks who have managed to get a national platform. Casper likes to call them the “cool kids” but in reality they are nothing more than misfit toys who most likely were shunned and physically assaulted during their formative years because of how odd they were.

20. rgrg2 August 24, 2019 / 1:46 pm

So Nothing But A Showman issued an official presidential statement today affirming that he has the authority to order American corporations to do what he wants pursuant to the Emergency Economic Powers Act of 1977. So how does that square with your tenet of “small, unobtrusive government”?

You know, Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren have a lot of plans that could make use of this act. I’m sure you all will be fine with that.

• Retired Spook August 24, 2019 / 1:51 pm

Well, first of all, neither Bernie Sanders nor Elizabeth Warren is ever going to be President, so I don’t have to worry about what they might do WRT Emergency Economic Powers Act of 1977. I haven’t read the legislation, but, on the surface, it sounds like it might be one of those exceptions where I disagree with Trump. And it’s nice to know that I can disagree with him and not be called a racist.

• rgrg2 August 24, 2019 / 2:09 pm

It doesn’t matter if it’s Bernie or Warren–there will be another Democratic president. But as to this exception, it’s a pretty friggin’ major exception, isn’t it? Flagrantly flouting the whole limited role of federal government that you all claim as the first and foremost of your fundamental tenets? See, this is why I think you guys are a tad hypocritical. lol

• Retired Spook August 24, 2019 / 4:09 pm

I guess here I have to agree with Cluster in that I don’t really care what you think, at least until such time as you actually post something thought provoking or constructive.

• Cluster August 24, 2019 / 5:26 pm

Jesus RG do you not think before you type? Have you even read what Trump intends to do with the Act of 1977? He’s just putting pressure on China and it’s completely Constitutional – Congress has oversight but you know what? They will agree with Trump.

Trump does not have the authority to “duly order” companies to leave China, according to Jennifer Hillman, a Georgetown University law professor and trade expert at the Council on Foreign Relations.

But under the law he cited, Trump can prevent future transfers of funds to China, she said. First, he would have to make “a lawful declaration that a national emergency exists,” she said.

Congress could terminate the declaration if it wishes, she said.

“Moreover, even if all this happened, it would not provide authority over all of the U.S. investments that have already been made in China,” Hillman said.

Moreover …

“The reality is many companies have been thinking about leaving, anyway,” Reinsch said. “Labor costs are going up in China, the regime is repressive, and American companies continue to suffer discrimination,”

Think before you type sport. See this is why I think you’re a tad stupid lol

• rgrg2 August 24, 2019 / 6:44 pm

Jesus Cluster, I know the 1977 act grants the president a broad range of powers. That’s not the question, is it. The question is, how does the president directly meddling in the affairs of private enterprise fit with your first and foremost tenet of limited government? (Hint: It doesn’t fit very well, but you’re all in on Nothing But A Showman, so you’ll contort your ideology as much as necessary in order to continue to support him.)

• Amazona August 25, 2019 / 8:40 am

Cluster, if you respond to the latest rgrg whine, be careful not to cite his first sentence, or the next thing you know he will be howling that you claimed to be Jesus
        1.) I haven’t taken the time to follow every comment made by Trump, but the one that had poor rgrg absolutely beside himself was the one where he ordered American companies to look into the possibilities of not doing business in China. Naturally, his internal filters twisted this into Trump ordering companies to leave China, and he has been screeching about this ever since. If there has been a followup “order” demanding that all American companies “leave China” maybe someone can link it for me. As for the original comment, the one rgrg posted, any CEO could comply with the “order” in under five minutes: “Hey, members of the Board, should we consider pulling out of China and moving our business to some other country?” There. Finished. The option has been considered.

2.) No president should interfere in private enterprise for personal, political or even economic reasons. If there is a legitimate argument that presidential pressures on private enterprise are part of national security, that is different. I would have no problem, for example, of the president issuing an order that a company could not sell nuclear triggers to North Korea. That would not in any way conflict with my deeply held and consistent attitude toward federal

3.) rgrg: You people simply have to get over the idea that supporters of Trump are emotionally dedicated to him no matter what. You are obviously thinking that we are like the Obama supporters, who were so passionately in love with the man that to you/them he could do no wrong. It’s more like Obama supporters wanted to marry him, while Trump supporters just wanted to hire him.

4.) Your random use of words like “ideology” and “pragmatic” is annoying. If you don’t understand a word, it’s better that you don’t try to use it and just end up looking stupid.

• Cluster August 24, 2019 / 8:21 pm

You’re grasping at straws sport. A swing and a miss. This act is simply economic warfare against a hostile foe … China. Trump knows he can’t compel American business’s to do the right thing but he can make it difficult for them if they want to continue to act against their own country’s best interest as you evidently are advocating for.

And RG have you ever stopped to think that this whining and bitching by the left is exactly what Russia was aiming for?

• rgrg2 August 24, 2019 / 10:25 pm

So now your position is that it is unpatriotic to criticize the president? I get the feeling that you would be happier living in a regime in which all dissent is stifled, in which the government controls the means of communication so that no one can say anything negative about Nothing But A Showman lest it be deemed beneficial to an adversary.

And by “what Russia was aiming for,” you must be referring to the fact that they aided Trump’s election. Most of you conservatives studiously avoid admitting that, despite the plethora of evidence. So at least on this point, you have your head screwed on straight. Congratulations.

Meanwhile, I guess the answer is yes, you are perfectly fine with Nothing But A Showman ignoring your most sacred tenet. Finally got that cleared up. Thanks.

• Amazona August 25, 2019 / 9:20 am

You don’t seem to realize WE realize that when a rabid Lefty starts off with something like “So, what you mean is….” he is setting up a lie. The thing is, you are so bone-deep stupid that you seem oblivious to the fact that the imaginary scenario you outline as what you claim Cluster is yearning for is exactly, word for word, what you Lefties have been working (with alarming success) to create right here in the United States. From the efforts to silence dissent to the State-controlled media, you are describing a Liberal’s wet dream and the agenda of you and your fellow travelers.

The Left is and always has been about controlling what people can say, and by extension what they can think—ergo, nonsense like “hate speech” attaching legal and social criteria to assignment of motive for words and actions and the increasing move toward State-imposed Groupthink and Thought Police. Were it not for the internet and talk radio, what we are told by our inaccurately termed “news media” would be completely controlled by the Complicit Agenda Media, who more and more openly define their role as defining and shaping public opinion and, naturally, public action. This is all Leftist 101, the same strategies in play going back to the Russian Revolution and perfected by Stalin, whose approach (as stated by the head of his infamous secret police) was “Show me the man and I will find you a crime”. We are moving toward punishing people not for what they do but for what they think and believe, whether that is related to their politics or their religion. We are now a nation in which government agencies spy on citizens to advance government control of elections (trying to make them more and more symbolic rather than actual choices made by the populace) and using the power of the State to choose winners and losers in commerce and punish political opposition. None of this is in any way related to any agenda of the Right, which is focused on governing according to our Constitution, but is wholly Leftist in agenda and execution.

It’s accepted now, except in the loony bins of the rabid Left, that Russia’s “meddling” was merely a general effort to create scenarios that would lead to internal conflicts, divisiveness and destabilization of our society. And they have been successful. They would not have had any success without the eager, panting and drooling passion of the American Left for any excuse to howl, screech and squeal wild-eyed loathing to help accomplish this, and this help has been seen in propaganda exactly like what you and other trolls have been posting all over the internet since before the election.

I concede that publishing information about the criminality and general lack of ethics of Secretary of State Clinton MIGHT have had some effect on the election, but I find it interesting to see the de facto admission of the Left that the truth about her affected the number of people willing to vote for her.

But the supposed “plethora” of evidence you seem to think implicate a Trump/Russian conspiracy or alliance is really just some evidence, most of it circumstantial, that Russia (knowing how volatile and easily led the Leftist sycophants in this country are) realized that all they had to do was drop a few hints and you all would go off in all directions howling at the moon and looking for torches and pitch forks. While you have obediently been claiming Trump is “an agent of Putin” in fact it is the American Left doing his bidding, working tirelessly to weaken this nation, erode its rule of law, divide its citizens into opposing if not quite yet warring camps, and set the stage for a Leftist takeover.

After all, your hysteria and passion for melodrama based on irrational hatred is hardly a secret. In fact, it is your defining quality. I think you are the only one who had come out and admitted that it is “the antithesis of ideology” though we have noticed for many years that it is really just all emotion without a hint of analysis of how best to govern the nation.

• Cluster August 24, 2019 / 5:29 pm

Hey RG you haven’t answered my question – do you think Trump is white supremacist?

• rgrg2 August 24, 2019 / 6:52 pm

You said, “I don’t care about your feelings or your ideas.” Go back to watching MSNBC.

• rgrg2 August 24, 2019 / 10:27 pm

I know that despite what you said, you do secretly care about my feelings, so I am happy to answer your question. To me, there is no doubt that Trump is a racist. But a white supremacist? I wouldn’t go that far–at this point. However, it is clear that white supremacists view Trump as someone who supports their cause in his words and actions.

• Amazona August 25, 2019 / 9:03 am

Once again, rgrg, you should heed my warning about listening to those voices in your head. They are not your friends.

You “have no doubt Trump is a racist”. That is an amazing statement, given the fact that he has never said a word to indicate that he is. You may believe that crystal ball you Leftists depend on may tell you the deepest secrets of his heart and mind, but out here in the real world sane people ask for a little more than psychic hunches to form an opinion.

You have a typically rg-ish conviction that “white supremacists view Trump as someone who supports their cause in his words and actions”. As he has never publicly said anything to indicate even the slightest hint of supporting white supremacy, much less taken any action to do so, your rant is either a purposeful lie or just another of your sad pathetic delusions, created in a desperate attempt to make your pathology look less…..pathological…….and give it a veneer of reason. The fact that you try to hard to do this proves that deep down some remaining cell of sanity is telling you that just being obsessed with blind hatred is a sign of mental illness, but your pathetic effort to dress it up as a natural response to what you have to pretend someone else is thinking is transparently ineffective, and your passion to hate is a mixture of creepy and crazy.

21. Amazona August 25, 2019 / 9:49 am

Am I the only one noticing that rgrg2 is no longer even pretending to want to engage in discourse but is just using this site to spew radical Leftist garbage?

Am I the only one who has noticed that every time we give a Lib a chance to prove a desire to actually discuss ideas it quickly turns into the Lib trying to use this site as a litter box to deposit his mental excrement?

Am I the only one to think that the experiment—-of giving a Lefty a chance to participate in actual political discourse—–is always going to fail, because Lefties are not interested in actual political discourse but merely in finding ways to shout out “WANNA SEE HOW NUTS I AM ???” as loudly as possible?

I’ve gone through rgrg’s posts and have found each and every one of them completely devoid of legitimate content, being merely vehicles of expression of wild-eyed hysterical nonsense, rabid Leftist propaganda and levels of Trump Derangement Syndrome that are interesting only in their consistency and refusal to be influenced by facts.

I guess I am asking if it is even worth the trouble to bother with these wholly predictable people. As a former Liberal, I try to be open to the possibility that another Lib might be seeking the truth and looking for people to talk to, to examine what he has been fed and accepted to see how it complies with reality. But every time I give a Lib such a chance on this blog, I find not someone serious about evaluating what is happening and the actions of the government but just another hate-driven spittle-flying troll dedicated to trying to disrupt a conservative forum, a kind of denial of service flooding of it with reams of hate and nonsense and recycled lies.

• Retired Spook August 25, 2019 / 10:01 am

RETIRED SPOOK
      August 24, 2019 / 4:09 pm

• Cluster August 25, 2019 / 10:48 am

Yes it is. We have to know these people in order to strategize around them. We have to know what overly sensationalized issue has their panties in a wad so that we can address it rationally and move on. Like it or not, RG is representative of a lot of people and we have to stop, or at least slow down their “insanity”. RG still probably believes the oceans are going to rise and we have just 12 years left. That’s insanity.

• Retired Spook August 25, 2019 / 12:10 pm

The Obamas apparently no longer believe that as they just bought a $15 million beach-front estate on Martha’s Vineyard.

• Amazona August 25, 2019 / 12:15 pm

That makes a beachfront estate and one in Hawaii. Maybe, as Dems, they think Hawaii floats, like Guam, and it will just stay on the surface as the oceans rise. (Gee, I hope too many people don’t rush to the west side to watch the sun set, or it might tip over!)

• Amazona August 25, 2019 / 12:13 pm

Cluster you have often argued that you need to constantly expose yourself to the toxic stew of Leftist hysteria to be able to “strategize around them”. I do not agree.

Once you understand Leftist strategies and see them being enacted in this country, aid and abetted by the mindless sheeple eager to be patted on the head and praised for their toxic personality disorders, the details are immaterial.

And the talking points are regurgitated constantly, so once we have heard “Trump is….” or “Trump said….” or “Trump thinks….” from one of the meat puppets, we don’t need to hear it echoed over and over again.

What have we learned from rg’s presence here, about the mindset of the Left, that we didn’t already know? The only fresh perspective he has brought is his laughable conceit that having no coherent political philosophy or commitment to any specific form of government is, in fact, a sign of political sophistication, sanctified by the (inaccurate) application of the word “pragmatic”.

And the reminder that when this word is used to try to justify the political spinelessness of rgrg2 it is supposed to be admired, but when it is applied to explain an act or statement by Donald Trump it immediately becomes proof of political instability, mental aberrations and character defects.

No, I think there is something attractive about the insanity of the Left that keeps drawing you to witness it, like slowing down to look at a wreck. But it is not necessary to understand the Left, or to “strategize” about its growing insanity and self-destructive hubris.

• Cluster August 25, 2019 / 1:25 pm

In reality we are exposed to their insanity everyday so you either you have fun with it or not. We do however have to stay in defense of our country and we can’t sit back while they change the language, distort issues, and create new perceptions of reality. We either engage or risk losing our country.

22. Cluster August 25, 2019 / 10:44 am

Strawman alert!!!

So now your position is that it is unpatriotic to criticize the president? – RG

That’s not at all my position and I am not even sure how you came to that conclusion.

I guess the answer is yes, you are perfectly fine with Nothing But A Showman ignoring your most sacred tenet. – RG

Well again you guessed wrong and this issue isn’t even close to my most “sacred tenet”. But thank for playing RG.

And thanks for answering my question. Here’s another one. Did you think Trump was a racist prior to January 21, 2017 when he was given applause and awards from Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson? Or when he was donating heavily to Democrats?

The problem with you RG is you are exactly what Reagan said – “you know so much that isn’t true”. There is a lot of garbage floating around your head RG.

23. Cluster August 25, 2019 / 10:52 am

RG, are you a Bernie supporter?

• Amazona August 25, 2019 / 12:15 pm

You do love feeding the trolls, don’t you, Cluster?

I guess it is time to remind you why you never want to wrestle with a pig. You can’t do it without getting as dirty as the pig (or, in the case of mind-wrestling with the likes of rgrg2 getting splattered with the mental excrement of said pig) and besides, the pig LIKES it.

We have given rg more attention than he has gotten since his Mommy quit handing out Participation Trophies and gold stars for potty training, and essentially rewarded his personality disorder by giving it the respect of responses. We have been enablers. But you keep on, if you like. I’m sure it will gratify him.

• Cluster August 25, 2019 / 1:21 pm

I do like messing with Regressives. It’s just too tempting not to mock their positions, question their intellect, and belittle them as human beings (if in fact they still refer to themselves as humans – considering they still don’t know that gender they are, you just never know)