Open Thread

Been hearing – and not just from Never Trumpers – that people are simply growing tired of Trump and all the drama and will opt for Biden simply because they want someone dull. I don’t buy it – I mean, I can understand that the whole circus around Trump is abnormal and people can get frustrated with it, but I don’t feel like it makes we want to vote for Biden, nor anyone I know. What do you think?

PM Johnson has got the Queen to prorogue Parliament: ie, put it on ice for a period of time; in this case, until such time as the PM finishes extricating Britain from the EU. This is something Americans don’t know much about as it is outside our political experience. But in a Monarchy, sovereignty doesn’t reside with the people, but with the Monarch. That’s why they call it “Her Majesty’s Government”. It has been nearly two centuries since a British Monarch exercised any authority outside the advice of the Prime Minister, but the authority is still there under the British constitution and Boris advised the Queen to exercise it – to forestall Remain efforts to prevent the PM from carrying out the will of the people…and because we live in insane times, the PM is being criticized on grounds of being undemocratic in his insistence that the results of a democratic vote be implemented. I still doubt Johnson will pull it off – too much of the British Ruling Class is dead set against it; they really, really want faceless bureaucrats in Brussels who take their orders from Berlin to run things. But, he’s clearly got the brass to give it a try.

Laurence “Stop the Hammering” O’Donnell tried to revive the Trump-Russia debacle with a “scoop” claiming that Russian oligarch’s close to Putin co-signed some Trump loans. I didn’t pay much attention to it because, well, the Trump-Russia thing is drivel and I just don’t care about it…but this is interesting:

According to Harder’s demand letter, “The Program and Tweet make the false and defamatory statements that ‘Russian oligarchs’ co-signed loans provided to Mr. Trump by Deutsche Bank, and described these ‘co-signers’ as ‘Russian billionaires close to Vladimir Putin.’”

Harder is also warning others against republishing the allegedly false statement. (The Hollywood Reporter is doing so because it believes such republication is necessary to convey what is a matter of utmost public concern and protected by the First Amendment in connection with anticipated litigation.)

In a tweet following Harder’s letter, O’Donnell wrote, “Last night I made an error in judgment by reporting an item about the president’s finances that didn’t go through our rigorous verification and standards process. I shouldn’t have reported it and I was wrong to discuss it on the air. I will address the issue on my show tonight.”

Trump likely wouldn’t win any case – the judges would all rule that he’s the President and the MSM can say pretty much whatever it wants. But, the vigorous pushback shows that Team Trump feels, at least, that the facts are on their side.

More and more Democrats are latching on to the Wealth Tax, under various forms. Now, our Democrats are doing this simply because they want the money to shovel to their cronies…but it will be popular, boys and girls; and even if not particular popular, very hard to fight against. Who wants to stand up and defend a billionaire’s horde? We should be stealing a march on the Democrats…and making sure that any wealth tax hits heavily at constituencies favored by Democrats…tax free foundations; private college endowments (Harvard sits on $37 billion – the college is more of a tax dodge as far as the money goes); Soros-type Progressive moneybags. Like getting out in front of student loan debt, it will allow us to push Conservative policy while taking issues away from the Democrats.

106 thoughts on “Open Thread

1. JeremiahTMM August 28, 2019 / 6:53 pm

• ricorun August 30, 2019 / 1:09 am

Jeremiah…The last I heard, Biden took a dive in the polls with more people in favor of Pocahontas.

How do you feel about that? Do you have an opinion? Or is it all about Trump? Said in another way, would you ever consider voting for someone other than Trump? Surely Trump is not your ideal candidate. So really, what would it take for you to vote against him?

• JeremiahTMM August 30, 2019 / 1:55 am

It doesn’t make any difference to me what the Democrats do, they’re not going to influence my vote. I never watched a second of the Democrats debates because I can’t stand them.

It’s not all about Trump with me. Trump’s not perfect, but a whole heck of a lot better than the alternative from the other side. A mountain more better than they are. He will leave a lasting legacy of Hope and resilience of American power and might.

Long before the election, probably a year or so, people were asking me what I thought about Trump, and who I was going to vote for, and I told them Trump is who I was voting for. He’s the man, and we bettered hope he becomes our next President, because Hillary would have caused more suffering than what Obama did. And he just about caused America to totally collapse.

So, Trump was the man, and I’m going to vote for him again next fall.

After that, I’m going to see about other potential Republicans who run, maybe Cruz, I don’t know yet, but there’s a good possibility it might be Douglas Ducote. If he runs, and he gets a sizeable number following him, I’ll probably vote for him. I like Doug, he’s a good guy, him and his wife would make a great President and First Lady.

• JeremiahTMM August 30, 2019 / 2:12 am

I’m actually very concerned about AG Barr. Now that he’s chosen not to indict Comey, McCabe and the rest of the coupe will get away with their treasonous actions, and that really burns me, as it should any common sense person.

I think Barr is afraid. That’s not good. He needs to push forward with these indictments. Just because they have people with power and influence backing them, doesn’t mean they should not be punished for their crimes.

The people who formed the coup and those who threw their support at the coup should all be punished. Because it’s treason to try and overthrow a duly elected President.

• ricorun August 30, 2019 / 2:40 am

I understand your answer Jeremiah. I myself would like a more parliamentary form of voting, because I rarely agree with whomever any given party puts up for their nominee more than 50% of the time. And even that’s a gift. But that said, I’m just appalled at Trump’s behavior. As a good Christian, aren’t you too? I mean really, wouldn’t you like someone more consistent with your own morality? Or don’t you care about morality? Is ideology without morality enough for you?

Pardon me guys, but I really don’t get this whole Trump thing. As I’ve said before, this is not my GOP. And all I’ve gotten so far in response is that the “old GOP” was not “ideologically pure enough”. That Trump is the “real thing”. And given the evidence, that makes no sense at all. Please educate me.

• JeremiahTMM August 30, 2019 / 4:39 am

I like Trump because he’s a fighter. He stands his ground. I know his masculinity offends a lot of people on the left, because he’s not easily goaded into a corner and told what to do.

For someone who had never had any dealings with government, he was exactly what we needed in Washington DC. He didn’t do it for the money, he left his life of luxury behind to help the people of this country because he loves America, and the people. The man is brilliant when it comes to economics. And is doing what other Presidents failed to do, by not letting other countries take advantage of us, and I hope he keeps hammering them hard. Beca we are a free nation, and will not be beholden to communist dictatorships, where, if you openly proclaim your faith, and fail to renounce it…they put you in prison and beat the living papaya out of you.

I know many on the left want us to be like that here in America, but it’s not going to happen on us Patriots watch.

Anyhow I don’t know what you by “Trump’s morality”? Should I be offended? I’m not offended. I don’t see anything he’s done to be offended about. There’s a possibility that could change. Who knows? As it stands, he’s doing everything he’s supposed to be doing. So, I’m going to fret until such time as he does something that I dislike.

• JeremiahTMM August 30, 2019 / 4:43 am

not fret

• Amazona August 30, 2019 / 12:26 pm

What a mishmash of utter nonsense,.

Naturally a Leftist would prefer a “more parliamentary form” because it is chaotic and tends to arrive at a muddled middle ground with no distinct advantage to either side—–and Lefties love that kind of chaos and confusion.

Rico is “appalled at Trump’s behavior” and then drags in Christianity. Explain, rico. Because from what I have seen, the morality aspect of Trump’s behavior is based on his historical sins, and Christians believe in redemption, salvation and forgiveness for past sins. Lefties are adrift when it comes to Christian tenets, and it always shows when you/they try to drag in some confused reference. So you might be “appalled” by his current behaviors, but I don’t see moral issues there, just differing reactions to social sins you suddenly find “appalling”.

Then he gets all sanctimonious and lays on the fake piety: As a good Christian, aren’t you too? I mean really, wouldn’t you like someone more consistent with your own morality? Or don’t you care about morality? Is ideology without morality enough for you? Eeeeuuuwww! That is just downright creepy. It is so deeply offensive and distasteful on so many levels it should just be flushed, along with most of his other emanations. It made my skin crawl. It managed to be insulting, stupid, ignorant, vile and a host of other negatives, with an emphasis on smarmy, while posturing as morally upright and decent. Ick ick ick ick ick. I’d say “shame on you, rico” but someone who can post dreck like this obviously has no shame.

BUT….loving the taste of this mental manure he doubles down: This question is not only about Jeremiah — how many are willing to jettison morality for ideology? And really, what ideology are you abandoning it for? Again, what a mess of stupid.

The “morality” of another is not the business of a Christian. Unlike the collective salvation the supposed-Christians of the Left embrace, we understand that we are responsible for our own salvation. When a man engages in private behaviors that we find offensive, we feel those are between him and God. But, having said that, there is a public immorality that we do feel not just allowed but obligated to notice and address, and that is the profound immorality of lying to people, purposely trying to emotionally manipulate people, in the pursuit of power. It is the abuse of the power of the State to harass, intimidate, persecute and injure people in the pursuit of gaining or holding political power.

It is fascinating to see people like you focusing on the personal behaviors of some people (only those who are political opponents, we notice) even when they are in the past and not being repeated, while being totally accepting of the public immorality that has the agenda of promoting a political system that is the antithesis of morality and liberty.

It is not surprising to see you admit your lack of understanding of Constitutional ideology. After all, you have bragged about developing some kind of pseudo-political philosophy you claim is the antithesis of ideology. But the ideology of Constitutional governance has been explained to you often enough there is no reason to go into it again. You either understand it but are coyly pretending you don’t, or you honestly don’t and are not just playing dumb.

It’s obvious you don’t get this whole Trump thing, After all, it is based on so many concepts alien to you—–belief in Constitutional governance, common sense, love of this nation, national security, all sorts of things the Left rejects out of hand.

As for educating you, I’d be better off trying to teach my dog to ride a bicycle. At least that would involve dealing with a working intellect and provide some entertainment and a better chance of success.

2. Cluster August 28, 2019 / 7:02 pm

How much of that is caused by the media? For the last 3 years, all they have done is promote conspiracy theories, sow discord, and try to undermine this President, aided and abetted by the DOJ and FBI. I have never seen anything like it and yet he has accomplished more constructive things than any President I can remember.

I am hoping the IG and John Durham reports reveal the ugly origins of what we have all gone through the last 3 years and I suspect it could be one of the biggest scandal in our nations history. Jim Comey and Andrew McCabe are squirming.

More and more Democrats are latching on to the Wealth Tax

Rich Democrats are still whining about not being able to deduct their high state income taxes so whatever wealth tax they approve of, won’t effect them. That’s a guarantee.

• Amazona August 28, 2019 / 7:16 pm

Exactly. It is the height of hypocrisy to constantly hurl vile, vicious and unfounded accusations and attacks at someone, for YEARS, in the absence of any justification, and then whine because the situation this creates is a tiresome “circus”.

The people who want it to stop can make it stop by shutting the F up.

My take on this is much the same as Cluster’s—that Trump’s ability to accomplish so much in spite of the relentless efforts to unseat him and destroy him raises my opinion of him daily. To this I will add that I wonder how much more he might have been able to accomplish, to the benefit of this nation, without the efforts of the Left to impede him.

What is good for the country is bad for the Left.
      What is bad for the country is good for the Left.

• ricorun August 30, 2019 / 1:39 am

Amazona: It is the height of hypocrisy to constantly hurl vile, vicious and unfounded accusations and attacks at someone, for YEARS, in the absence of any justification, and then whine because the situation this creates is a tiresome “circus”.

You do realize that for good reason those on the left point out that Trump constantly hurled vile, vicious and unfounded accusations for YEARS, in the absence of any justification, that Obama was not qualified to be president by virtue of his location of birth, and then whine because the situation this creates is a tiresome “circus”, right?

You reap what you sow.

• Amazona August 30, 2019 / 10:45 am

It’s really funny to see the rabid Left unearthing the old “birther” whine.

Let’s start at its beginning, OK?

Once upon a time, the Democrat Party came up with a new guy who seemed to check all the Identity Politics boxes—nice looking, kinda black, to quote Biden “articulate and clean” and with a nice Ivy League rep. They groomed him, set him up with a “job” as a “community organizer”, got old buddy/domestic terrorist Bill Ayers to ghostwrite a couple of “memoirs” for him to establish name recognition, and rigged a couple of elections to get him into the Senate, poised to present to the nation as an opportunity for collective salvation. It was perfect. Anyone who pointed out his lack of history and lack of experience and lack of anything that might qualify him for the presidency could be, loudly and heatedly, dismissed as a RACIST, thereby fueling the dying fires of racial discord in the country and contributing to destabilizing our society. Millions of people could vote for him not because there was a single thing to qualify him for the job but to virtue signal—see how not-racist I am !.

And one of the coolest things about him was his history of claiming to have been born in Kenya. It was kind of his signature—young black guy from Kenya comes to US and becomes a superstar. The reason this was such a boon to the Left is because it offered them a huge weapon to use in its promotion of Obama (now he could play victim with political opposition as mean old bullies) and it gave another way to further divide the nation and demonize the opposition. It was a two-fer—-it worked to build him up as a rags-to-riches success story and then to attack his opponents and distract from his very real and serious defects.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be sure that a presidential candidate is legally qualified for the job. A lot of us found this to be a civic responsibility. And here we had a new guy, with almost no recorded history of his life past the age of about 15 and a history prior to that of living in Indonesia, under a different name, and registered in school as an Indonesian citizen. On top of that his book publicity identified him as being born in Kenya and so did other sources, even his wife on occasion.

Here is where it went off the rails. Because it didn’t matter. His mother was 18 when he was born, was an American citizen, and had resided in the United States for the required amount of time prior to his birth to qualify him as an American citizen. Obama could have pointed that out in a single press conference or speech. But where’s the fun in that? What a wasted opportunity that would be! So he did what Trump is doing now—he messed with peoples’ minds. He let it be known that he had traveled to Pakistan when Americans were urged not to go there, but coyly refused to answer any questions about what nation’s passport he used, while also letting it be known that when he got his American passport after being elected to the Senate it was his first American passport. He had a surrogate present a Certificate of Live Birth claiming it was a birth certificate, when in fact it was designed by the state of Hawaii as a document solely to prove Hawaiian residency at the time of birth, for people who had been born out of the state. As a matter of fact, that was how it was described in its title. At any time he could have put the entire matter to rest—either by having the press conference I mentioned, or by asking the state of Hawaii to produce a photocopy of a birth certificate. But he purposely stirred up as much angst and controversy as he could, leading questioners this way and that, dropping hints, providing fake documents or at least documents that were claimed to be what they weren’t.

It was a brilliant strategy, as shown by the ongoing and no doubt permanent obsession within the ranks of the dedicated Leftists that this was all really not about Obama messin’ with us, but about, as you put it, vicious and vile people. no doubt all RACISTS, blah blah blah blah.

While this was going on, a lot of people let themselves be distracted by the gamesmanship, much as today’s Left is constantly running around looking for the balls Trump has pretended to throw. It was a circus, all right. This was complicated by the absolute mess of American laws regarding things like dual citizenship, etc. One law says that if you have dual citizenship due to birth or adoption at the age of 18 you have to choose one or the other, as at that time the US did not accept dual citizenship. But there is no process for making this choice or change, no law or rule, so it just hangs out there in the void. You don’t have to make an official statement or fill out a form or anything so there is no record of a choice being made.

I know, because I spent a lot of time and energy researching all of this at the time. Not because I am a RACIST !!! but because I am an American with a civic duty to do what I can to ensure that our nation is run the way it is supposed to be run.

I am not sure you are accurate when you claim that Trump constantly hurled vile, vicious and unfounded accusations for YEARS, in the absence of any justification, that Obama was not qualified to be president . I think it far more likely that he constantly questioned the legitimacy of the various and sometimes conflicting tidbits of information, partial information, misinformation and downright lies carefully fed into the mix when the Left decided things were dying down and they needed to stir things up again.

I admit that he got sucked into it, as did a lot of other people. And in the midst of all this, possibly an integral part of it at its inception, was the creation and spread of the hateful term BIRTHER. It worked so well you all still use it. In my opinion, Trump should have called in some flunky and assigned him or her the job of doing what I did, researching the laws and so on, and then realized that IT DIDN’T MATTER WHERE OBAMA WAS BORN, all that mattered was his mother’s status.

To this day I think it as likely that Obama was born in Kenya as anywhere else, as all the “proofs” of Hawaiian birth are so suspect. They might be suspect because they are trying to prove something that isn’t true or they might be suspect because it feeds the narrative to only produce only suspicious documents. But IT DOESN’T MATTER.

It was a scam from the get-go, it was a brilliant concept and execution and typical of the Long Ball played so well by the Left. (The most recent scheme has been the framing of any possible Republican candidate for counterintelligence surveillance to find or create “crimes” to weaken or even unseat an administration—they have moved to mounting a coup, or trying to .)

So, to sum up….Yes, Trump got sucked into the scam. No, wanting to be sure a candidate and then president is legally qualified for the office is not racist, or any other sinister thing, but merely a civic duty. Yes, the entire subject was blown up far more than it should have been. No, I don’t believe that Trump constantly hurled vile, vicious and unfounded accusations for YEARS, in the absence of any justification, that Obama was not qualified to be president. You provided the adjectives—-“vile, vicious and unfounded”—and you misstated the facts (which some might call “lying”) when you said this was in the absence of any justification when in fact there was abundant justification for wondering what the hell was the truth in that dog’s dinner of misdirection, lies and conflicting stories put out by the Left. But yes, he did get emotional and verbal in his mistaken following of the bread crumbs instead of standing back and looking at the simple solution.

“You reap what you sow” might qualify, for some of you, as justification for the savage unrelenting attacks on Donald Trump, but it is a feeble effort to make it sound less awful than it is. You seem to be saying that if your guy is relentlessly questioned about the conflicting stories he and his side have presented that means it is OK to to use every possible method to overturn an election, unseat a duly elected president, and turn our basic concept of justice upside down by prosecuting people not for what they have done but for what they have said. One thing about the Left is your highly selective attitude toward history—you want to rewrite and destroy the parts that don’t advance your agenda, but cling interminably to the bits you think will.

And “You reap what you sow” is something YOU need to keep in mind, as events unfold in the next few weeks and months regarding this wide and deep conspiracy within the very heart of the Obama administration, all the way to the top, to corrupt our electoral process, weaponize federal agencies, and use the power of the State to spy on, persecute and take down political opponents and anyone connected with them.

I have a feeling there is going to be a whole lotta reapin’ goin’ on, and in the meantime a lot of people are realizing that the whole BIRTHER thing was set up, purposely, by Obama to demonize his opponents and further divide the nation.

• Cluster August 30, 2019 / 8:37 am

Rico, do you think the media treatment of Obama is equal to that of how they treat Trump? And as a self proclaimed tolerant person, how does that align with your values? Seems inconsistent to me.

• R. Murphy August 29, 2019 / 2:50 pm

No. The media invents from whole cloth.

3. Cluster August 29, 2019 / 7:52 am

I want to mention the shameful leftist dishonesty that RG engaged in yesterday. Our current brand of unAmerican liberals have fully embedded themselves in the media and have become useful propaganda apparatchiks for the global elite. Much like Comey and McCabe would leak information about the Russia probe to the media, and then use the media reports to bolster their claims, these propagandists use anonymous sources, half truths, and sensationalism to rile up the useful idiots, aka: RGRG and that was on full display yesterday as RG asked us repeatedly to defend the accusations in the bogus article. The author is an activist, not a journalist

and there is not one legitimate source used in the article, nor are there any verifiable facts. Additionally, the author uses sensationalized language to further enflame his readers. This is again

FAKE NEWS

• Amazona August 29, 2019 / 10:18 am

Remember the whiteboards Glenn Beck used to use on his TV show to illustrate his points? It would take a whiteboard about 15 feet long and 6 feet high with dozens of colors and arrows to create a flow chart of the elaborate and, I have to admit, quite carefully crafted schemes of the Left to take over the White House.

I am sure they worked backward, from a goal to a way to achieve it. Primary goal: Be able to spy on American citizens with the intent of finding something, anything, that could be used against them in an election campaign. Secondary goal: Find a way to make this technically legal. Solution: Find a way to disguise this spying as anti-espionage surveillance necessary for national security, and make it “legal” by running it through the FISA courts. That can be done by (1) developing in some way a person can be presented as a Russian agent, (2) getting her placed in the near proximity of various possible contenders for the nomination/election so this can be used as the pretext for FISA warrants, (3) find a gullible American whose wealth and social life and contacts would allow him to be used to get this Russian into the necessary circles so her presence could be used to support a claim of necessary investigations for security reasons, (4) backstop this by hiring someone in the intelligence world to fabricate a “dossier” on a candidate once he was apparently close to being nominated to run against the Leftist in the election, (5) leak tidbits from the “dossier” to friendly and complicit media outlets, and (6) then refer back to the reporting of the leaked information to support the false “dossier” provided to the media, and (6) use highly placed operatives in the American intelligence world to use these fabrications as the basis for applying for FISA warrants, people willing to lie under penalty of perjury to ge the Court to accept their offerings.

So we get (1) Maria Buttina, (2) and (3) getting her together with Patrick Byrne, (4) hiring Christopher Steele to put together the fake dossier, and (5) (6) turning to people like Strzok, Comey, McCabe, Brennan, et al to do the leaking, filing and lying to the Court.

It was a well-crafted concept, and nearly succeeded. If Clinton had won it very well might have, as it would have been buried a lot deeper than the co-conspirators were able to once they lost control of the Executive Branch, which we have to remember controls the Department of Justice and has the ability to look into the antics of government agencies.

But now the strings linking the various components are being made visible, and are tying together the participants in what may very well end up being the most complex and far-reaching expose of internal sabotage of our electoral process and abuse of power, all the way to the White House. (Where, we have to remember, the President at the time was also an active participant in violations of the Espionage Act by using an alias to communicate state business with the Secretary of State on an illegal email server.)

• Cluster August 29, 2019 / 10:33 am

You nailed it … and I am really hoping the IG report reveals this attempted coup in easily understandable language and flow charts because I don’t give much respect to the average American’s ability to understand it.

• Amazona August 29, 2019 / 1:24 pm

The IG scolded Comey but refused to recommend indictment. However I don’t know if the scope of his protection investigation included the FISA perjury and associated crimes and/or examples of deceit and unethical behavior.

Comey is strutting as if he was vindicated and saying he is due an apology for “lying about him”

• Cluster August 29, 2019 / 1:42 pm

What an asshole. Gen. Mike Flynn faces life in prison for much lesser violations and this asshole gets a pass ?? This is the system however championed by our media and the establishment where the elites are held to different standards while at the same time trying to convince us that we are a democracy and doing their best to introduce Democrat Socialism … the exact same platform that Hugo Chavez ran on in 1999.

I have said this before and will say it again … the minute our establishment (media and politicians) start ignoring the desires of the Heartland and try to take their votes and influence away, there will be a revolution.

4. Cluster August 29, 2019 / 8:08 am

This is how Democrats and people like RG govern:

California’s homeless crisis engulfs its capital as Sacramento’s business owners tell how they confront naked junkies and streets covered in feces, urine and syringes – with no solution in sight

This is what they want for the rest of the country. Never, ever, ever, ever give up fighting these assholes

• Amazona August 29, 2019 / 9:56 am

Cluster, don’t mistake the process for the goal.

I don’t think the goal of the Left is to have hundreds of thousands of people crapping in the streets. As a matter of fact, once the Left is firmly in control these people will be dealt with. You have never seen this kind of degenerate behavior in any Leftist-run country. But right now, in this period of undermining every facet of our society, it is useful—-it can turn people into warring camps, those wanting sanitation and the ability to run businesses vs those who use the problem to claim that the former are just greedy heartless racist pigs.

No, I think this is just the PROCESS, the process of incrementally destabilizing our society, weakening it by introducing and supporting all sorts of societal upheavals to erode our foundation while working equally hard to splinter our populace into mutually distrustful and antagonistic camps. They have even fragmented gender, while working to destabilize our very language by inventing and imposing all sorts of made-up nonsensical “words” to apply to their nonsensical made-up “genders” and other demographics they have either invented or simply developed as levers to split apart a sense of community, citizenship and nationality.

“Latinx”??? WTH?

The Left has been whittling away at pretty much everything that used to be considered beneficial to society—the family unit, education, religion, public decency, children born to married parents, civility, respect for our Constitution, respect for our law enforcement officers, personal responsibility for our own actions. Name a single element of a strong and stable society and you will find attacks on it from the Left.

• Retired Spook August 29, 2019 / 10:48 am

Excellent observation. The problem the Left faces is they will have to eliminate tens of millions of people like me before they EVER become “firmly in control.” So the problems they’ve created will just continue to fester. At least the problems exist almost solely in areas that Democrats control. They’re doing something that even cats and dogs don’t do — shitting in their own bed. And people who can no longer stand the conditions can still vote with their feet. It may well end up being a be-careful-what-you-wish-for situation for Democrats.

• ricorun August 29, 2019 / 9:05 pm

Here’s a thought question for you: Is it just that desirable places to live disproportionately attract both high and low income individuals, or is it that desirable places to live disproportionately attract people of a Democratic political persuasion? Or is it something else? I’m just curious what you think.

• Cluster August 29, 2019 / 9:19 pm

Good question. However I can point to Dallas, Miami, Atlanta, Phoenix, Salt Lake, Nashville, etc. as much more desirable places to live that are all governed conservatively and quite well, so it depends on how you define desirable. I would say that cities like NY, SF, and Seattle are quite undesirable to live in directly due to Democrat leadership with the high taxes and regulations that ultimately squeeze out the middle class resulting in the haves and the have nots. That’s actually unfolding right before your own eyes, so pay attention. . .

• ricorun August 30, 2019 / 1:19 am

That was a great answer Cluster! It gives me a lot to ponder. But by the same token the cities you mention as particularly desirable vs. undesirable very much differ with respect to their propinquity to a major body of water. Consequently, I wonder whether the variable of real consequence has to do with that rather than something more political. What do you think?

• Ryan Murphy August 30, 2019 / 6:56 am

Atlanta is governed well? News to me.

• Cluster August 30, 2019 / 8:42 am

What do I think? Well Miami is adjacent to the Atlantic Ocean so is that big enough? I do wonder though what in the hell a large body of water has anything to do with anything. I will say that large cities governed by Democrats foster group think … just look at RG, that poor guy doesn’t stand a chance. And since you consider yourself a “professor” who promotes education, how does “group think” square with your most fundamental beliefs? And what you have worked for all your life?

Ryan, Atlanta is well governed well when compared to SF, or Seattle, etc. I will admit it’s a low bar but that’s what Rico propped up for us.

• Amazona August 30, 2019 / 12:30 pm

Rico, that strikes me as a stupid question, the kind of nonsense people spout when they are trying to present themselves as serious and thoughtful.

5. Cluster August 29, 2019 / 8:25 am

Mark, you are an excellent investigator and I would like you to take a look at the Libya/Honduras dynamic during the Obama administration and how Obama’s incompetence, or possibly orchestrated actions resulted in the huge waves of immigrants and refugees rushing to borders of Europe and America respectively.

We all know about Libya in 2011 … here is what happened in Honduras in 2009:

… new information paints a picture of an American government with no single policy, but rather, of bloated bureaucracies acting on competing interests. Hidden actors during the crisis tilted Honduras toward chaos, undermined official U.S. policy after the coup, and ushered in a new era of militarization that has left a trail of violence and repression in its wake

I think that the global elite (Soros), thru the Obama administration, orchestrated unrest in both Honduras and Libya for the sole purpose of initiating the wave of immigrants and refugees to the borders of America and Europe designed solely to destabilize.

In fact I am convinced of it. Let me know what you think.

6. Cluster August 29, 2019 / 8:44 am

And I really have to take exception with Jim Mattis here:

We are dividing into hostile tribes cheering against each other, fueled by emotion and a mutual disdain that jeopardizes our future, instead of rediscovering our common ground and finding solutions.All Americans need to recognize that our democracy is an experiment—and one that can be reversed. We all know that we’re better than our current politics. Tribalism must not be allowed to destroy our experiment.

I respect his service to the country but in my opinion he’s just another blind establishment member who just doesn’t get it. What Mattis doesn’t understand is that the Left has ZERO desire to compromise with common sense Americans, and Mattis is simply being propped up as a useful idiot to try and bridge the divide. Then when the Left gets power again, they will wield it mercilessly. That’s who they are. Look at what Nadler and Schiff are doing.

Never ever believe what the Left says. Just watch what they do.

• Retired Spook August 29, 2019 / 9:38 am

As our British friends would say, spot on! What a disappointment Mattis turned out to be. When Trump appointed him I thought it was one of the best SECDEF appointments in my lifetime. What was not to like about a SECDEF nicknamed “Mad Dog?” I applaud Mattis’ lengthy service to this country. He’s one of a dying breed of warrior class, but as administrator of the Defense Dept. he sucked. And the fact that he doesn’t understand that the Left doesn’t want to compromise on much of anything paints him squarely in the establishment wing of government. As I see it we have two options: we can do what the Left wants and eventually end up like Venezuela; or we can defy them at every opportunity. The first isn’t really an option, IMO, and the only downside to the second choice is that we might eventually end up in a knock-down, drag-out fight for the soul of America, but we’ve been down that road before and survived. I’m just enough of an optimist to believe that good will win out in the end.

• Retired Spook August 29, 2019 / 9:45 am

All Americans need to recognize that our democracy is an experiment

Has anyone else noticed that establishment types almost always refer to the United States as a democracy. No, General Matis, our grand experiment in self government is a constitutional, representative republic. Go directly to jail, Geneal Mattis; do not pass Go, do not collect $200. Enjoy your retirement.

• Cluster August 29, 2019 / 10:36 am

I have to agree Spook – I am so tired of everyone referring to our country as a democracy. I am not sure if they do this out of ignorance, or out of a desire to shape Americans perceptions which would eventually lead to the abolishment of the electoral college.

This could be just another concerted effort on behalf of the global Left.

• Retired Spook August 29, 2019 / 10:41 am

This could be just another concerted effort on behalf of the global Left.

I’d bet on it.

• ricorun August 30, 2019 / 1:26 am

Cluster: I am so tired of everyone referring to our country as a democracy.

I think you have to admit that referring to our country as a “Republic” doesn’t nearly have the panache that referring to it as a “Democracy” does, regardless of whether or not one is more accurate than the other. But I have to say, my impression is that you would rather NOT hear it said that the USA is NOT a democracy, and further, TO THINK THAT THE USA IS A DEMOCRACY IS LUDICROUS! Isn’t that right, or am I misstating your view? Because I really don’t think I am.

• Cluster August 30, 2019 / 8:49 am

Well again, you’re a professor right? Would it bother you if people went around calling Universities “gulags of educational oppression”? How does that align with your life’s work? For seemingly educated people to constantly mischaracterize their country? Or university?

Is that “panache” enough? Or maybe it’s a propinquity issue and only those who refer to our country as a democracy are near large bodies of water? What do you think?

• Amazona August 30, 2019 / 10:59 am

Rico is a professor? Seriously, or is this a jibe at his ponderous use of you, know, like really really big words?

• Cluster August 30, 2019 / 12:09 pm

Not sure but I was under the assumption that Rico was an instructor on some level like Casper

• Amazona August 30, 2019 / 12:31 pm

Oh. Like Casper. That would explain a lot.

• Amazona August 29, 2019 / 9:43 am

Actually, I agree with this stand-alone sentiment. I get the feeling that Mattis did, however, fall victim to what he decries in this statement, in his highly unprofessional attack on his Commander in Chief, from what seems to be pique at not having all his advice followed.

7. Retired Spook August 29, 2019 / 11:53 am

It’ll be interesting to see how Hurricane Dorian plays out. It transitioned from a tropical storm to a Cat 1 hurricane as it passed over the Virgin Islands, and is forecast to reach Cat 3 or 4 by the time it makes landfall on the east coast of Florida this weekend. It’s been a quieter than normal hurricane season so far, and the media seems to be literally praying for Dorian to be as destructive as possible, which makes no sense to me. The supposed satellite and Doppler radar views shown on virtually all major news sources show it currently about the size of the whole state of Florida, but if you look at an expanded view of sites like Accuweather, it’s still shown as a tiny dot 100-200 miles north of Puerto Rico. Are all the other depictions actually artists renderings or future casts based on models? I guess we’ll see in a couple days.

• Cluster August 29, 2019 / 12:28 pm

Let that sink in.

And I really hope is doesn’t effect the season opener for my Boise State Broncos who play Florida State this Saturday.

• ricorun August 30, 2019 / 2:14 am

Cluster: I think THE reason why the media is so hoping for a disaster is because Trump has moved some FEMA money to build the wall, so this hurricane if disastrous, will play real well politically for Democrats.

Let that sink in.

Fortunately it didn’t happen this time. What about next time? Or the next time? Or the next? Is this really the play you want for the GOP? Let that sink in.

• Amazona August 30, 2019 / 12:03 pm

For this to “sink in” first it would have to be fished out of the murk of your consciousness, which is the only place it can be found, and I doubt that we could find any volunteers for that icky job. Then it would have to be washed off to see if there is any “there” there,. under the layer of bias and invention.

And then we would undoubtedly find that it is as worthless as your other “observations” and a waste of time and Dove dishwashing detergent.

• Cluster August 30, 2019 / 8:51 am

Kind of odd when a major political body cheers for destruction to gain political power, or is that ok in your book? Kind of like Bill Mahr hoping for a recession. How many people suffering will it require for you to finally be politically happy? Just curious

• Amazona August 30, 2019 / 11:34 am

What is good for the country is bad for the Left.
        What is good for the Left is bad for the country.

• Retired Spook August 30, 2019 / 2:04 pm

Still no sign of “Hurricane” Dorian on Accuweather’s dopplar radar, and their 7 day forecast for Melbourne, FL, has no mention of a hurricane. Is it possible this whole cat 4 hurricane thing is fake news?

8. rgrg2 August 29, 2019 / 2:27 pm

I want to mention the shameful leftist dishonesty that RG engaged in yesterday.

And you guys say I’m obsessed. lol But since you brought it up again…

I brought to your attention an article reported by the Washington Post, in which administration officials acknowledged that the president encouraged them to break the law and that he would pardon them after the fact. I wondered if it would concern any of you if the president of the United States were to do such a thing. Apparently it does not, which suggests that you have no respect for the rule of law. And I’m the dishonest one?

Today, both CNN and the New York Times have independently corroborated the Washington Post account. Even the Trump administration’s own spokesperson has not refuted the claim that he dangled pardons in front of his staff, merely explaining it away as the president joking. Another staffer says the president winks when he says it.

Cluster claims that one of the Post reporters on the story—there were two (the other being the regular White House reporter)—is an activist. Apparently this is because the writer’s beats include immigration and the environment. Cluster offers no other proof for his claim, which is empty and, to use a word, dishonest. Now he has five or more reporters all reporting the same thing. I look forward to Cluster’s weak efforts to discredit them all.

Lastly, this is not the first time that Nothing But A Showman has dangled the prospect of pardons in front of his staff and cronies in exchange for them doing something illegal. Trump talked about pardoning Paul Manafort during the Special Counsel investigation, and previously assured U.S. Customs and Border Protection commissioner Kevin McAleenan a pardon if he encountered any legal problems carrying out Trump’s order to close the border. (This was reported by three other reporters in addition to the five others already noted.)

I submit that the president of the United States urging his own staff to break the law, and promising them pardons if they do, is (1) a violation of his oath of office, and (2) a gross abuse of presidential pardon power. It fits within the criteria of “high crimes and misdemeanors.” You all apparently think it is business as usual—at least so long as a Republican president does it.

• Amazona August 29, 2019 / 3:28 pm

They corroborated the fact that Trump said to go ahead and break some RULE and it took the Complicit Agenda Media and its lying acolytes like you to twist that into breaking a LAW. It’s that old Semantic Manipulation and Distortion at work, a mainstay of Leftist propaganda.

You completely ignored everything I said about the EPA being given vast authority not contemplated or approved within the Constitution or Congress, and making rules on its own which were never legislated or approved by Congress. The Constitution established ONE legislative body, not Congress and as many agencies as some president decides to gift with legislative powers.

When and if the president instructs people to violate real, adjudicated, laws enacted by the proper legislative body—Congress—then get back to us. Till then, simply whining the same old lies over and over again is likely to get you bounced again.

You can call the president’s comments on pardons “joking”. I call it tweaking the hypersensitive Left to see how many take the bait and run around with their hair on fire, digging up old quotes by Founders and handing them out to the foot soldiers and trolls to circulate and howling at the moon. It’s fun to watch, and it keeps them busy while he is doing the job he was elected to do—which includes protecting the nation and its citizens. It’s kind of like pretending to throw a ball and then watching a dog search for it.

And you guys fall for it every time.

At least this time it was accompanied by a little history lesson, when your minders fed you the transcript you keep quoting, and insisting none of us can understand.

Also, keep in mind that only the Left thinks people should be punished for what they say instead of what they do. It’s a staple of Leftist tyranny, used often by the likes of Castro and Stalin and Hitler. In this country someone can say “if this happens I might do that” and not be prosecuted for the “that” that never happened. But this is what you are proposing—that Trump be impeached for saying he might possibly do something that some of you think “….fits within the criteria of “high crimes and misdemeanors.”

Maybe you should work on establishing a Thought Crime prison, like the socialist-run Stasi did in East Germany, to house those guilty of wrongthink and wrongspeak, no matter what they do or don’t do. After all, that is the basis of the whole “obstruction of justice” whine—that Trump talked about doing something and should be punished for it though he didn’t actually do it.

So “submit” all you want. No one listens to you because you are nothing but a bigoted hate-driven meat puppet parroting what your minders tell you to say, and determinedly ignoring facts and truth because to you and your kind lies always taste better, no matter how often you have to bring them up and even after they have passed through your system and are lying in a steaming heap on the ground.

• Amazona August 29, 2019 / 3:31 pm

rgrg2 bleats “And I’m the dishonest one?”

And the obvious answer to that is yes. No doubt there. You repeatedly bring up lie after lie, which is even in the Leftist dictionary a description of “dishonest”.

• Cluster August 29, 2019 / 4:27 pm

I will also note that RG used CNN and the NYT to corroborate the story – what? Wasn’t Rachel Maddow available? Seriously, CNN and the NYT have disseminated more false information over the last 3 years than all other media outlets combined, with the exception of MSNBC.

The story still contains unverifiable information, hearsay, and anonymous sources and is actually refuted by Trump himself. It’s not a report, it’s a rally cry for activists.

• Cluster August 29, 2019 / 4:30 pm

Someone should remind RG of all the things the NYT and CNN have gotten wrong over the last 3 years. And the same reporters are still working the “beat” as RG characterized it

9. Cluster August 29, 2019 / 5:00 pm

And actually RG, I referenced your posts yesterday because it’s the same thing that’s been going on in the media over the last 3 years and we are done with it. An “activist” or reporter as you like to call them (just FYI, real journalism is dead) make unsubstantiated claims, another member of the Complicit Agenda Media will repeat the story followed by hours of discussion on CNN giving credibility to a completely manufactured story.

It’s a childish and dishonest game but it sure fires up small minds

10. Cluster August 29, 2019 / 6:59 pm

Wow. You are that stupid

• Cluster August 29, 2019 / 7:20 pm

Flynn is twice the man you are and twice the American you will ever be. He was set up by the FBI and caught in a process crime that even the FBI agents who interviewed him, said that they believed he was honest and innocent. This will all come out

You are pond scum RG. Worst of the worst and I hope you get your comeuppance one day

• rgrg2 August 29, 2019 / 7:28 pm

A series of dishonest posts by you has been removed and new ones will be as well. //Moderator

• Cluster August 29, 2019 / 8:27 pm

In his capacity as the newly appointed NSA director (I think) for the newly elected President, Flynn was simply reaching out to other government leaders and introducing himself. It’s done in every administration.

To you he’s a traitor. To me he’s a patriot and that’s the very real, clear and volatile difference between us chief. Your side had better be careful.

• Cluster August 29, 2019 / 8:30 pm

And if you really want to look into some Russia collusion, google Tony Podesta, a brother to John Podesta, Hillary Clinton’s campaign manager. It’s a good read. You might learn something.

11. Cluster August 29, 2019 / 7:25 pm

I think it’s time to remind everyone that in light of RG’s recent comments on Flynn, he was the one lecturing us on civility the other day

Hahahahahahaha YCMTSU

12. ricorun August 29, 2019 / 11:12 pm

Just so you know, I am a stake-holder in the California real estate market. And just so you know, if you can afford it, it’s a wonderful market to be in. That being said, in bad times it can be more volatile in the short run than the stock market. But even if you guess wrong in the short run, if you can survive over the long run you will be richly rewarded. That’s true of the NYC real estate market as well — not to mention most of the other real estate markets Donald Trump is invested in (which if you truly investigate them, are very heavily situated in the very same locations he criticizes most heavily. Isn’t that weird? I mean really, think about that for a llllloooonnnnnngggggg moment. I don’t want to give too much away, but if you’ve never thought about it, it should give you pause — a very, very long pause.

In short, Donald Trump has been very, very good to me — and much better to himself. But of course he hasn’t been nearly as good for the blue collar individuals he claims he has been advocating for. Hopefully they won’t catch on before 2020.

But even if they don’t, what happens after that? I mean I’m pretty sure I’ll continue to make money no matter what — as will Mr. Trump. But my goodness, Mr. Trump has gone to great lengths to make the Republican party the party of a small — and shrinking — demographic, while at the same time alienating — and I mean seriously alienating — pretty much everyone who doesn’t four-square qualify in that demographic. While in the short run that thinking has been very very good to me, in the long run I know where it’s going. And those who have known me over the years know that I’m a consummate capitalist — just not an ideological conservative. I also know that in the long run the GOP is selling themselves short. They’re boxing themselves in — in the very worst way. The only good news is that the Democrats are doing the same thing!

• ricorun August 30, 2019 / 12:10 am

RGRG2: So do you have people crapping and running around naked on your property, Rico?

Which property are you speaking of? HAHA!!! Seriously, not that I’m aware.

I make light, but the reality is that homelessness is a big and growing problem in this area (“this area” being Orange County, CA (OC). And as it’s been pointed out ad infinitum and with great glee on this site, the Democrats own the problem now — even though it’s only been one election cycle (2018) since what once was reliably GOP has become COMPLETELY Democratic. I mean really, there is not a single GOP rep in all of Orange County — the place which was once considered the bastion of Reagan country!!!. That’s remarkable. And I once again argue (as I have many times on this site) that I, and people like me living here, have not changed. What has changed more than anything else around here is the GOP.

• Amazona August 30, 2019 / 12:37 pm

Why is there more homelessness now

1) The definition of “homelessness” has changed to fit political agendas
        2.) We now seldom institutionalize the severely mentally ill but dump them on the streets to fend for themselves
        3) Our increasingly hedonistic society, which rejects “shame” as something bad and not a natural and necessary element of a functioning society has led to increased immersion in drugs and alcohol
        4) Being a productive member of society is no longer considered an important element of self-respect and the respect of others is no longer valued
        5) What you subsidize grows

• Amazona August 30, 2019 / 12:38 pm

What has changed more than anything else around here is the GOP. bleats the guy who constantly reminds us, in nearly every post, that he is completely ignorant of what the GOP is, was or should be.

• Cluster August 30, 2019 / 12:43 pm

5) What you subsidize grows

This is the #1 reason. It’s condoned and sanctioned.

And Rico doesn’t recognize the GOP because he has never really paid attention that closely preferring instead to rely on old biased perceptions

• Amazona August 30, 2019 / 11:09 pm

You’re right. I should have stated that I was not putting the reasons in order of importance or effect, just numbering them to make it easier for Libs to follow along.

• Cluster August 30, 2019 / 9:19 am

Research “mob mentality” and “group think” Rico. I am sure your University has a library. It wouldn’t be hard.

13. ricorun August 29, 2019 / 11:53 pm

Also just so you know, I haven’t offered my opinion about what to do about the housing crisis in California — other than to offer that those who can afford it are all but certain to make a killing, as well as to point out that those who are in that position are in a similar position to Donald Trump. I’d say that goes without saying. And that is, to me, why it’s so hypocritical for Trump to say anything about the situation.

I mean seriously think about it… I can buy a property with 10-20% down (depending upon lots of variables, but let’s say 20%), then flip it within a couple of years for an appreciation of (on average in the markets I’m working) 7%/year-on-year. That’s without even considering the costs of “upgrades”, which of course are entirely tax deductible. As well they should be. I mean really, do the math. Just ballpark it and it’s pretty obvious that the ROI is phenomenal. But don’t ask me, ask Donald. Oh wait, you can’t ask Donald. He’s not very forthcoming about that sort of stuff. Go figure.

• ricorun August 30, 2019 / 12:54 am

Me: But the situation does exist. So then the question is, what should be done about it? As far as I know, Donald Trump hasn’t offered anything other than criticism. So as far as I’m concerned, I think I’ll do the same thing — especially as long as it continues to make me piles of money. I think the only thing most people on this site could say is that I’m honest and Trump is not.

Clearly, Donald Trump hasn’t been listening to this little backwater boobfest. And really, why should he? Really, why should anyone? Let me just say to the last question, “I don’t have a freakin’ clue.” Ditto to the previous question, and the one before that.

I may have miscounted.

At any rate, let’s get back to the question at hand…

Okay, I forgot the question too. But let’s assume it has to do with homelessness. But it’s not really about homelessness, per se. More specifically, it has to do with homelessness in particularly affluent areas. And even more specifically it has to do with homelessness in affluent areas which are so ridiculously affluent that they have no areas within reasonable driving distance where those who service the ridiculously affluent could live. That’s the thing that seems missing in the argument — the part about why, exactly, are the places that are expensive to live just that? In other words, why are they so expensive?

Of course, every real estate agent who is worth even a single grain of salt has known the top three answers to that question since time immemorial: location, location, location. That should be enough to explain much of the problem. But I will admit that it doesn’t explain anything about what to do about it. And in that regard I am at least more honest than Donald Trump. But granted, that’s not saying much.

• Cluster August 30, 2019 / 9:18 am

Homelessness is 90% a mental illness and drug problem. It’s not complicated. But I enjoyed watching you two take the “progressive” approach to the problem by ignoring the reality and wondering how Trump is involved. Maybe that’s why your party never gets anything constructive done.

Keep talking about boys. That’s what Democrats do best … talk, talk, talk, talk then lunch.

• Retired Spook August 30, 2019 / 9:42 am

Rg, what did you take away from the article that might confirm what you believe or make you re-think what you believe? Are you going to take any actions as a result of this article? Much of what Mr. Applebaum says in the article doesn’t ring true to me, but I’d have to do some lengthy research that I’m not inclined to do to determine the article’s veracity. As I said earlier, at my age time is at a premium, and time spent trying to determine whether or not something that isn’t important to me in the first place is true is a waste of time, when I could actually be doing something that I enjoy.

All that said, it’s entirely possible that many of the problems faced by society today are rooted in bad policy advocated by economists. In college I majored in Business Administration with a minor in economics and an hour short of a second minor in history. There were two things from college economics that stuck with me. Economists are fond of prefacing their predictions with the phrase, “all things being equal.” At least that was the case back in the 60’s. All things, of course, are rarely equal, and economists in general are poor predictors of economic outcomes. Look at the economic data that comes out ever month and ever quarter. The phrases you most often see is, “economists were surprised,” or “the numbers were substantially greater than or substantially less than what was predicted by most economists.”

• Cluster August 30, 2019 / 10:02 am

While being a Democrat can certainly lead to dementia, I wouldn’t say that all homeless people are Democrats. I wouldn’t go that far but it’s interesting that you do. And the downtown streets of Phoenix are not littered with homeless people defecating and urinating on the streets like other cities. I guess conservative homeless people have more respect.

• rgrg2 August 30, 2019 / 10:16 am

I’m headed out shooting, so I don’t have time to address your question. But this quote from the article is worth pondering.

The market economy remains one of humankind’s most awesome inventions, a powerful machine for the creation of wealth. But the measure of a society is the quality of life throughout the pyramid, not just at the top, and a growing body of research shows that those born at the bottom today have less chance than in earlier generations to achieve prosperity or to contribute to society’s general welfare — even if they are rich by historical standards.

This is not just bad for those who suffer, although surely that is bad enough. It is bad for affluent Americans, too. When wealth is concentrated in the hands of the few, studies show, total consumption declines and investment lags. Corporations and wealthy households increasingly resemble Scrooge McDuck, sitting on piles of money they can’t use productively.

Willful indifference to the distribution of prosperity over the last half century is an important reason the very survival of liberal democracy is now being tested by nationalist demagogues. I have no special insight into how long the rope can hold, or how much weight it can bear. But I know our shared bonds will last longer if we can find ways to reduce the strain.

• Amazona August 30, 2019 / 11:26 am

The parts of some article cited by rg reflect the defects of Leftist thinking.

Particularly egregious is the last paragraph, which could be taken directly from any publication of the International Left.

Willful indifference to the distribution of prosperity is just a different way of stating that prosperity should be distributed, not earned.

liberal democracy is a meaningless phrase in this context but an effort to make Leftism more palatable by attaching “good words” like “liberal” and “democracy” to a political philosophy that is wholly illiberal and tyrannical.

nationalist demagogues is just another invented pejorative, part of the Leftist movement to link nationalism—which is a benign and positive characteristic of a population, meaning no more or no less than a belief that ones’ country is a great place to live, a statement of love of country—–to some malignant philosophy.

The author seems to be saying that we need to find ways to reduce the strain of his perceived problem of income inequality. Which would, of course, mean redistributing income. Which takes us right back to Marx, et al, and the driving impetus of Leftism.

As for the claim that those born at the bottom today have less chance than in earlier generations to achieve prosperity or to contribute to society’s general welfare this is not borne out by actual reality, in spite of the effort to indicate the contrary by citing that much-loved vehicle of Leftist propaganda, the “growing body of research”. The Left’s concept of “society’s general welfare” is redistribution of wealth according to the dictates of the State, and its use of the term “general welfare” is linked to its claim that the Constitution mandates federal intervention in SOCIETY’S “general welfare” and not just the general welfare of the union as such.

In other words, just more crap, from a constant source of crap, dedicated to creating crap and also recycling crap.

• Retired Spook August 30, 2019 / 10:38 am

That was actually the part of the article that I questioned the most. The author would have you believe that as the rich get richer, the poor get poorer — or at least the number of poor increases. To believe that you would have to believe that the rich are stealing from the poor, which is, of course, absurd. A more likely explanation is that we’ve allowed millions of people with no marketable skills to enter this country illegally in the last 3 decades. And then you have to examine where wealth disparity is the greatest, and it’s areas like LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Baltimore and Chicago. What do all those areas have in common?

I don’t know what the solution is, or if there even IS a solution, but I know what the solution is not, and that’s for government to take from the haves and give it to the have nots. You’d be hard-pressed to find a historical example of where that has worked.

• Amazona August 30, 2019 / 11:32 am

To the Left, the pie of the economy is a finite thing, meaning that if one piece of it is bigger another must be smaller. This is the basis of all its whining about income inequality—the conviction that if one person has something that means another person has less. This is followed by fretting that this is somehow “unfair” without any consideration of how the bigger piece got to be in the hands of one person and not another—that is, without considering merit or productivity. To the Left, all that matters is recutting the pie so the pieces look like the same size.

To the Right, the pie can expand according to the effort and industry put into making it bigger, and the bigger it gets the more people can get a piece—but the sizes of the pieces naturally depend on who put in the most effort to enlarge it in the first place.

• Amazona August 30, 2019 / 12:49 pm

As far as I know, Donald Trump hasn’t offered anything other than criticism

Poor befuddled rico. But this is what you get when you work so hard on a cockamamie “political philosophy” that is “antithetical to ideology”. You whine in some posts that the president is not acting according to the Constitution, and then in another complain that he isn’t. It’s what you get when you don’t even know what the Constitution says, or care, and just think the feds should alter their course according to shifts in the current winds.

THE TENTH AMENDMENT TO THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

The Tenth Amendment clearly reserves to the states those powers that the Constitution neither delegates to the federal government nor prohibits to the states.

This means if you can’t find a duty to address homelessness in cities and states, or anywhere else for that matter, in the Constitution then the federal government is not allowed to address it.

Sheesh. How many times do we have to go over this stuff with these Libs?

14. Cluster August 30, 2019 / 8:59 am

Rico is delighting in his real estate riches, I wonder if he plans to share his wealth? He claims to be a capitalist yet supports candidates and party’s that are for the most part diametrically opposed to capitalism. I guess you would call Rico a “Bernie Capitalist” …. only for himself.

And Trump has been invested in those market for over 40 years, when Democrats who governed the areas were actually sane (can anyone believe how far off the reservation Democrats have gone?) Yet Rico thinks he is on to something and wants us to think about it for LLLLOOOONNNNNGGGGG time. WOW, he is serious.

15. Cluster August 30, 2019 / 9:27 am

Someone needs to remind Rico and RG that is was Democrats who elected Trump …. PA, WI, MI. Thanks in large part to the arrogance displayed right here by those two.

And they still don’t get it.

• Retired Spook August 30, 2019 / 9:57 am

In a sense you could say that the main demographic group Trump appeals to are people with common sense regardless of which political party they are or have been affiliated with. I would agree with those Trump detractors who describe Trump as an aberration, but I think he’s an aberration that came along at just the right time. At best, though, I fear he’s only stalled our downward spiral into socialism by a few years. Much depends on the next election and who follows him into the White House.

• Cluster August 30, 2019 / 11:13 am

That’s why it’s so important to reelect Trump and why the Democrats are pulling out every weapon in their arsenal to prevent that. If Trump has 4 more years we can change the courts for a decade or two and stave off the disease of Progressivism

• Amazona August 30, 2019 / 12:50 pm

As long as this definition, too, is infinitely flexible

16. Cluster August 30, 2019 / 9:49 am

So I guess yesterday Trump walked by a burning house and heard screams inside so he rushed in to find a woman clutching her children in fear when Trump said … “we can afford to lose a President but not these children” and then grabbed the children and took them to safety before returning for the mother. It was really something.

• Retired Spook August 30, 2019 / 2:14 pm

OK, I guess you’re going to have to explain this one. Is there a punchline?

• Cluster August 30, 2019 / 2:40 pm

It’s just sarcasm stemming from Joe Biden’s fictitious tales of heroism yesterday. Biden actually said – “the country can afford to lose a Vice President, but we can’t lose anymore of these kids”

Look it up it’s priceless

• Retired Spook August 30, 2019 / 2:50 pm

OK, I saw the Biden clip. Makes sense now. Reminds me of the story about Trump going on a charter boat fishing trip. The wind blows one of his friends’ hat off into the water. Trump throws a ladder over the side, climbs down and walks across the water to get the hat. the New York Times headline the next morning says: TRUMP CAN’T SWIM.

• Cluster August 30, 2019 / 2:51 pm

hahaha you know if you can’t laugh at this current society it will drive you nuts – I choose laughter

• Retired Spook August 30, 2019 / 2:57 pm

Speaking of Biden, when is someone from his own party going to pull him aside and say, “Joe, you’re embarrassing yourself and the party. Why don’t you ride off into the sunset while you still have a small shred if dignity?”

• Cluster August 31, 2019 / 9:25 am

I’ve often thought the same thing … I actually kind of like ol Joe but he really needs to retire and enjoy his sunset years

• Amazona August 31, 2019 / 9:44 am

He’s gotten as far as he has by being likable, but he’s never really been competent

• Retired Spook August 30, 2019 / 3:01 pm

Many, if not most on the Left are devoid of a sense of humor. The only thing they seem to be capable of laughing at is the misfortune of their adversaries.

• Retired Spook August 30, 2019 / 4:11 pm

Good example of Liberal humor:

17. Retired Spook August 30, 2019 / 3:31 pm

Well, (wipes egg off face), I finally decided maybe hurricanes don’t show up on doppler radar, and decided to look at the satellite image off the east coast of Florida. Sure enough, there’s a good sized hurricane headed toward Melbourne, FL. Interestingly, though, Accuweather’s 7-day forecast shows wind, rain and thunderstorms almost every day beginning Sunday, but not a single mention of a Cat 4 hurricane.

18. JeremiahTMM August 31, 2019 / 2:46 am

Really good debate

19. Cluster August 31, 2019 / 9:46 am

OK NEVER EVER EVER FORGET THIS:

California appeals court OVERTURNS gun charge conviction against the illegal immigrant who was acquitted of murder after fatally shooting Kate Steinle on a San Francisco pier

The next time some loser Democrat wants to talk gun control … just remind of him of this and tell them to F**K OFF

This is unbelievable and should rile up everyone. While Democrats are talking gun control on the front porch for political expediency, the judges they appoint let criminals out the back door only to reoffend probably to keep the narrative alive.This is WRONG.

I HATE THE MOTHER F***KERS

• Amazona August 31, 2019 / 10:47 am

Take a deep cleansing breath, Cluster. It’s not as bad as you think.

First, an appeal does not revisit any of the evidence given. It does not retry the case. All it does is claim that there was a reversible error in the way the prosecution delivered the case or in any of the rulings or actions of the judge. The appeal was won on the grounds that the judge made a mistake in not giving full instructions to the jury.

But what really matters is that when an appeal is won, that means the case will be retried, if the prosecution decides to do so. So now the ball is in the prosecutor’s court—will he or she decide to retry the case?

In other words, thanks to this ruling there is a chance the killer will be convicted of murder, in a whole new trial with a whole new jury and a prosecution team that might have learned from its mistakes the first time around.

• Cluster August 31, 2019 / 11:19 am

You’re more optimistic than I am. He’s already been acquitted of murder.

• Amazona August 31, 2019 / 3:41 pm

I didn’t say I am optimistic. I just pointed out that reversing the appeal only means he can be tried again. I imagine the acquittal will stick but I don’t know—-was he acquitted of murder or was that just dismissed in favor of a milder crime?

20. Cluster August 31, 2019 / 10:04 am

So I kind of like Congress holding Big Pharma accountable for opiod distribution when they knew full well how addictive and destructive it is. We also need to hold the doctors to account as well.

And it’s also time to hold “open border” politicians accountable:

Authorities arrested 35 people in a massive three-state investigation that recovered a cache of weapons and illegal drugs, including enough of the deadly opioid fentanyl to kill 14 million people.

80%-90% of fentanyl comes up thru the southern border – let’s put open border politicians on trial too.

• Retired Spook August 31, 2019 / 10:32 am

Many, if not most of the current crop of Dem presidential candidates favor decriminalizing illegal entry into this country and oppose detaining those who enter illegally, and yet, out of the other side of their mouths they claim not to be for open borders. I hope the majority of voters see that intellectual dishonesty come a year from November.

• Amazona August 31, 2019 / 11:05 am

To me, holding the manufacturer of drugs responsible for how they are used is exactly like holding the gun manufacturers responsible for shootings. It’s a slippery slope and a dangerous one.

The only difference I can see would be if there were ample data showing the amount of legitimate opioid product necessary for medical use and the companies were manufacturing far in excess of that amount to meet the illegal market. And even that would be hard to prove.

No, go back to the doctors. When my husband I and I had a spate of minor accidents that called for medical treatment we were offered Vicodin as if it were aspirin. One doctor actually wrote out a prescription for Vicodin and handed it to me without talking to me about it first. We both said no thanks, there isn’t any need for anything that strong, but if we had been different kinds of people we could have walked out with dozens of pills with street value. Shore up or create a system for tracking opioid prescriptions, looking at doctors and at pharmacies, and bring the hammer down on violators. Let doctors know they are being watched, and are expected to prescribe lesser levels of pain meds when medically supportable. When after a fall I either broke or dislocated every bone in or near my wrist, I transitioned myself from Vicodin to Tylenol with codeine after disliking a reaction to the Vicodin—-it suppressed my respiration to the point where I spent hours with a phone in my hand in case I needed to call 911, consciously forcing my rib cage to expand and contract to move my lungs until the drug wore off. The thing is, the Tylenol worked just as well. (I also thought that if that reaction had occurred while I was asleep there was a chance i might have died, and I was taking the minimum prescribed dosage.)

Doctors need to prescribe opioids less often, they need to prescribe smaller amounts at any time, and they need to know they are being watched and will have to explain and document large amounts of opioids running through their practices. They need to be told they have to prescribe different painkillers when possible.

And of course we have to shut down the fentanyl traffic across the border. I think it is time we openly point out the complicity of the Left in the fentanyl problem as well as the human trafficking problem.

• Cluster August 31, 2019 / 1:08 pm

The doctors and sales reps for the drug manufacturers work hand in hand. They know what they’re doing and they do it for the money.

• JeremiahTMM August 31, 2019 / 3:56 pm

I used to chew bubble gum, that really hard kind. It comes in a little wrapper in individual pieces. You can get it in five pound buckets full of bubble gum. Well, disregarding the condition I had in my jaw bones, I’ve done forgot the name of it…but, anyway, I had chewed the bubble gum, and it caused me severe, severe pain in my right jaw. It was so bad that it turned the side of my face black and blue. Well, I went to see the doctor, and he gave a prescription, I think Vicoden is the same medicine I took. It’s like a mix of ibuprofen and hydrocodone. It would knock the pain out. But one thing I want to stress about that, do not ever drive when taking that medicine. I had just taken dose of that and had to deliver some boxes of satellite parts, and my heart was pounding. I thought I was going to have to stop on the side of the interstate, and call for help. Anyway, I made it, and I made it back home. Now, if Im out moving around, doing physical, it didn’t bother me. My back didn’t hurt me, and I didn’t feel like I was going to go out of it. But I advise do not drive with that stuff. It’ll get you killed.

• Amazona August 31, 2019 / 6:24 pm

Most doctors not only tell you not to drive when taking this stuff, they tell you not to sign any legal documents or make any major or legal decisions till you have been off it for at least 24 hours. It is heavy duty stuff and it’s not hard to see, once you have used it, how easy it would be to overdose on it. When I had my respiratory issue, I really did think if it had happened when I was asleep I might have just stopped breathing. The actor Heath Ledger had taken 2 or 3 with some alcohol and they said he just stopped breathing.

I read somewhere that the drug can inhibit the part of your brain that registers lack of oxygen and tells you to take a breath. So because I was awake I could make the decision to take breaths without waiting for my brain to get the message I needed to. But it was scary. And I was only taking the prescribed dose a the right intervals. I think enough had built up in my system to increase the effect.

• JeremiahTMM August 31, 2019 / 8:34 pm

Yes, opiates interfere with, and many cases completely shut down the central nervous system. Depending on how much is taken at one time.

You know, to kind of put it into perspective. I helped carry someone to their car. This person had taken so much that they were very close to death. And it broke my heart because it was someone close to me. But, when I picked them up they were stiff. Had never picked someone up that felt like they had rigermortis(so?). The doctors had to shock them three times to get them to wake up.

In the neurons in the brain, there is an electrical current that sends messages to and from the organs in the body, and there’s a space between them, and in between those spaces takes place what is known as a synapse, and those fire off relaying messages. Well, the opiates go in between those receptors, and blocks the pathway for the relay of messages, so no information is sent or received…thus, when the lungs begin to shutdown, digestion slows down, the kidneys slow down. Every organ in the body slows because they’re not able to send a message to the brain that says, “hey, I need oxygen” … And the more of this opiate drug that there is in the body, the risk increases the risk of complete shutdown of the breathing, then there results in not enough oxygen and the brain dies.

This is why it’s important that President Trump get the inflow of fentanyl stopped coming from China. As fentanyl is 100 x more powerful than morphine. You can get it on your skin and die from it. Many police officers have confiscated cars with fentanyl and the powder got on their skin, and also inhaled some of the micrometer sized particles, and they had to have narcan administered to them to save their life.

• Amazona August 31, 2019 / 9:42 pm

Good analysis. And which movement is trying to block efforts to stop fentanyl smuggling into the United States?

Hint: The same movement trying to block efforts to stop human trafficking, much of which ends up sex slavery.

Jes’ sayin’