Open Thread

I detect a slight note of panic among Never Trump – and both parts of it: that which rejected the GOP and joined the Democrats and that which merely rejected Trump. They are in a fright because Trump isn’t going away. Things are not working out the way they hoped…their hope having been that once he was defeated, the Trumpsters would, one way or another, agree to allow Never Trump to resume power in the GOP. That isn’t happening.

This is because they fundamentally misunderstand Trump and his supporters – with the crucial thing being that it is Trump supporters who are driving the cart. These Trump supporters may, indeed, swing behind DeSantis or someone else in 2024, but only in so far as DeSantis or whomever prove themselves Trumpist. What Never Trump still doesn’t get – though some come very close to understanding – that we’d really rather lose on MAGA than win on anything else, because to win on anything else is to lose, anyway. We’re all in. Do or die.

Florida bans Critical Race Theory in public schools – this is a growing trend on the right and it is the first sign of real health in our body politic in decades. As I’ve said before: CRT is evil and it must go. The Republic is incompatible with people believing CRT. This is, to be sure, causing some breach among black Conservatives – because there are some who hold that CRT, though flawed, has some real truth to impart. I reject this notion. And it must be rejected because the ultimate basis of CRT is Marxism, which is inherently wrong and an intrinsic evil. Nothing which uses Marx in any way can be good or true.

AG Garland is going to investigate the audit of the 2020 election in Arizona. This is proof that fraud decided the 2020 contest. They are terrified of the truth coming out.

Democrats are in a fury against Manchin (D-WV). I really did expect him to cave long before this – if he runs for re-election in 2024, it is better than even money he loses. He can’t ever get the Democrat nomination for President or VP, so his only political future if a cabinet post, and he only gets that if he plays ball with the national Democrats. But, he’s still not playing ball. Maybe, at the end of the day, he just doesn’t want any political future? After all, he’s got the Senate pension sowed and he’s going to make bank as a lobbyist (if he wants). It might be that he’s simply uninterested in wrecking the Republic just to please people in New York and Los Angeles who despise him.

Inflation is rising, fast. The only good news here is that a repeat of Carter might give us a repeat of 1980.

26 thoughts on “Open Thread

1. ricorun June 11, 2021 / 6:37 pm

Mark: I detect a slight note of panic among Never Trump…

I am certainly Never Trump, but I am perfectly fine with him sticking around. I mean think about it: he lost his re-election and lost the Senate and the House. He even lost the election he “won” by some 4 million votes or so. In other words, he’s never been very popular. And that was all before Jan 6, which alienated even more voters. So I rather hope he runs again, because it will eliminate any chance the TNP (you can’t call it the GOP anymore — better the Trump New Party) will win. So if it’s really true that you’d “rather lose on MAGA than win on anything else,” then be my guest. One of these days maybe the actual GOP will come to their senses, but I’m not holding my breath.

• Amazona June 11, 2021 / 7:30 pm

What do you think MAGA stands for and what about it do you find objectionable?

• Cluster June 12, 2021 / 11:16 am

Rico, do you work for MSNBC? That was some awesome rinse and repeat bullshit.

• casper3031 June 14, 2021 / 3:05 am

Rico. Good to see you are still Alive and kicking. I’ve retired and moved to Hawaii. Climate is much nicer than Wyoming. I volunteer at a local museum and travel. I also have done presentations in classrooms in several states. I also travel a great deal. If you ever want to contact me let me know.

Mark, I agree that it is Trump supporters who are driving the cart. The problem is there are fewer of them every day. The Republican Party is getting smaller. That said, I was one of the 81 million voters for Biden and I have to say he is doing better than I ever expected. Over half the country vaccinated, added 2 million jobs, and the economy is reopening. Biden is far more popular than Trump ever was. Fun times.

Cluster, Good to see you are still around and just so you know, I don’t watch MSNBC or any other cable or network news. I don’t get cable or sat. TV. Might be in Arizona someday as I have a number of retired liberal friends who live there.

Amazona, I’m sure that I’ve given you plenty of things to attack me for, although it would interesting if you could come up with something new. Glad to see Colorado turn solidly blue, but not surprised that Wyoming is the Trumpyest state in the country. Good news is there are a lot more liberals there than you might think.

The economy is opening jp here and tourists are returning. I’m looking a five trips in the next six months. Life is good.

• Retired Spook June 14, 2021 / 7:03 am

Words escape me other than the bar was set pretty low.

• Amazona June 14, 2021 / 3:34 pm

I was one of the 81 million voters for Biden and I’ll bet you wore that beloved Obama necktie to do it. If I had been asked to describe the typical Biden voter I would have described you.

Over half the country vaccinated with vaccines developed with previously unimagined speed thanks to the masterful management of President Trump

added 2 million jobs or, rather, finally got forced into allowing some liberty back into the economy, so some of the jobs put on hold could be resumed,. Not new jobs. And at the same time the job market is crippled by the insanity of paying people more to not work than they would earn by working.

the economy is reopening in spite of objections by the Left, after being artificially shut down due to false information provided by political hacks and supported by the Agenda Media

Biden is far more popular than Trump ever was Possibly the most delusional comment you have ever made—and that is saying something.

Glad to see Colorado turn solidly blue, though it is not as solid as you would like to believe. Commandant Polis and his regime are losing favor, and there is rumbling among the masses about the influence of Californians and outside money taking over the state. There is a narrow strip of communities roughly parallel to Interstate 25, from Denver to Fort Collins, that accounts for about 90% of the Dem vote, while the rest of the state is solidly red.

Amazona, I’m sure that I’ve given you plenty of things to attack me for, including your penchant for whining. But you call it like you see it, which is evidently the perception that being called out on your lies is the same as being attacked. But as long as you are no longer poisoning the minds of children with your toxic nonsense, I don’t care what you do or where you do it.

• Amazona June 14, 2021 / 3:46 pm

Biden is far more popular than Trump ever was in Russia and China, anyway. And being a laughingstock in the rest of the world might add to his popularity—a lot of people like clowns, and the chance to laugh at the united States as its so-called leader beclowns himself has to generate a lot of appreciation for the doofus.

And BTW, Uncle Gropey, you’ve been in office 145 days, not 120. This exchange was characterized as “creepy” by several in the international press:

• Amazona June 14, 2021 / 5:56 pm

Ric Grenell also notices how much more popular Biden is in Europe than the bad Mean Tweeter:

Richard Grenell
        @RichardGrenell
        Jun 13
        Europe loves controlling Biden! Watch this….

They LOVE him. I mean, they are ecstatic to have Biden in the US chair.

Boris Johnson insists to Joe Biden that he already introduced the president of South Africa to a G7 meeting.Watch him being shushed by Johnson.

• Retired Spook June 14, 2021 / 6:04 pm

Good thing “Doctor” Jill was along at the G7 to refill Gropy Joe’s sippy cup, or he might have REALLY embarrassed himself and the United States.

• Retired Spook June 14, 2021 / 6:46 pm

Casper must have loved the Carter years.

2. Amazona June 11, 2021 / 7:11 pm

Oh, Rico, you are so funny. Reading your post, it was clear that you just went down the TDS list and checked every box.

One of the funny things I’ve noticed is Vote Creep. That is, the number of votes alleged to have been for Uncle Gropey keeps creeping up. Now you claim it is something like 4 million more votes than were counted for Trump—but when you look at the four or five states where uncertifiable vote tallies were certified fewer than a hundred thousand votes in total made the difference. As NPR’s Domenico Montanaro has put it, “just 44,000 votes in Georgia, Arizona and Wisconsin separated Biden and Trump from a tie in the Electoral College.”

lost the Senate and the House though the Senate balance remained the same (a new definition for “lost”?) and we gained seats in the House.

And that was all before Jan 6, which alienated even more voters Well, it alienated even more Dem voters. Republicans for the most part are smart enough to know that redefining terms like “subversion” and “insurrection” is a ploy that works OK with the low-information Dem sheeple, but for people who can think, not so much. You would be surprised by how many people were paying attention not to the howling talking heads of the Agenda Media but to the people who said what they wanted to accomplish, which was not overturning the election, or taking over the government, or scaring the pee out of some Dem sock puppets, but merely to postpone the certification for ten days to have a little time to investigate the worst of the very credible claims of malfeasance in the counting processes. And, of course, we also understand that the lies about the event are necessary to distract from the uncomfortable fact that objective investigation into the various nefarious issues surrounding the election is terrifying to the Left, which barely eked out its “victory”, even with the suppression of the information about Biden corruption (father and son) and the unsavory history of Biden Senior pawing young girls and the whole gamut of Hunter Biden depravity and so on.

Even with Facebook and Twitter and NPR and all the networks and most of the cable shows conspiring to spread lies about Trump while muzzling him and information as much as they could, at the same time providing cover for Biden corruption and incompetence, it still came down to highly questionable vote counting in 3 states. Not bad for someone “unpopular”.

• Mark Noonan June 12, 2021 / 2:15 am

Ricorun is whom the Narrative is for: it provides him a neat, tidy package which confirms his prejudices. The MSM isn’t intended to convince us any longer – and they know it: that’s why their bias is so obvious these days. They’re not trying to hide it any longer…they’re just hoping that Ricorun and the millions like him will never bother to check anything out.

Ricorun will never consider the possibility that the MSM might be lying. Never consider, for instance, that it took a miraculous vote total in 4 States to push the senile dunce over the top. Nor will he consider the reason why so many are now denouncing the audit in Arizona. To be sure, I don’t expect the audit to reveal definitive proof – too much time has passed with its opportunities to destroy evidence. But, man: are they in a panic about it. Why? Why would any who believes that the 2020 vote was totally legit have the slightest concern about someone auditing it? Even Liz Cheney, continuing her audition for an MSNBC gig, was out today calling the audit an assault on Democracy! How? How can it be that? It was a public vote; an act of the people’s government. How can any possible study of it cause Democracy to crumble? You and I know why: because they cheated and even if solid proof doesn’t come out, there will be lots of questions about the legitimacy of the vote. Ricorun? Nope – MSNBC has spoken and there will be no questions!

And its all rather sad – after all, I have picked up some commie friends of late. People who, like me, have picked up on the double con which has been run. They picked up on it years ago, just like I did. To be sure, they want things like free college and single payer…but they’ve learned that the Democrats won’t really give that to them. Just as the GOP won’t give us pro-life laws. That’s all just election-year bullsh** designed to sucker us. That is why we rolled the dice with Trump – and our reward for this was, most importantly, that the mask was ripped off. We saw in the bright light of day that our “Leaders” had been knifing us all along. Most Democrats haven’t had this epiphany yet – they still believe that Joe Biden cares. Heck, they even believe Joe Biden is in charge! The damned fool was social distancing and elbow-butting with the G7 leaders today…they’re all vaccinated! Even Boris Johnson went along with it! And he’s had the disease! These aren’t leaders – they’re mindless puppets of a global Ruling Class. It is Left in orientation (they hate Christians, after all), but at the end of the day, their main purpose is to protect their own power and wealth. Ricorun doesn’t see that – doesn’t see that he’s being sold out. That Trump was the first American politician in ages who was actually on his side.

• Amazona June 12, 2021 / 11:47 am

Mark, you say of the Arizona audit: To be sure, I don’t expect the audit to reveal definitive proof – too much time has passed with its opportunities to destroy evidence. Yet there is evidence that can’t be destroyed. There is the hand count of the ballots that have been counted, plus analysis of the paper of questionable ballots, plus examination of envelopes to see if they contain signatures. Ken Bennett, the former AZ Secretary of State, who is overseeing the audit, said: I think it’s imperative that we take the opportunity to verify at least thousands of the envelope signatures to make sure that there weren’t blank signatures allowed to go through the mail in process — because that signature of the voter on the envelope is the voter’s affidavit that their ballot is inside. We’ve heard rumors that there may have been thousands of envelopes allowed to go through and opened and ballots counted without any signature whatsoever on the envelope. If that happened that’s a huge no-no and so there are other very important things besides just the hand count and the paper evaluation that yet or yet to be done.

(Paper Analysis:
        Paper examination table uses digital single-lens reflex (DSLR) cameras.
        0% chance of damaging ballots
        Determines which oval was marked and if marked by a human.
        Analyzes fibers of ballot material and barely-detectable yellow-dot watermarks

And we have learned that photocopying machines leave metadata in the images that can identify the machines.

This is a good overview of what has been learned so far:

A.U.D.I.T. of Elections: Hot and Getting Hotter!

• Mark Noonan June 12, 2021 / 1:15 pm

Hey, I hope it does come out – but they did have some time! The absolute panic setting in about the audit shows that they know they cheated and at least have a fear that the truth will come out.

• Cluster June 12, 2021 / 5:46 pm

I think all Democrats should be thrilled with the audit to prove with 100% certainty that they beat Orange Man. Right?

• Cluster June 12, 2021 / 8:31 pm

100% agree

• Retired Spook June 12, 2021 / 6:01 pm

Except those in the know know they didn’t.

• Retired Spook June 12, 2021 / 11:39 am

He also received over 8 million more votes than any incumbent president in history. The only president who received a bigger percentage increase from his first election to his second and lost was Martin Van Buren in 1840.

• Amazona June 12, 2021 / 12:06 pm

When we consider that no one has challenged the Trump vote count we can take it to be accurate, while the Biden alleged vote count is credibly challenged all over the country.

There’s an interesting chart in the article I linked in my response to Mark

• Mark Noonan June 12, 2021 / 1:17 pm

Here’s the really cool thing – by cheating to get Trump out, they’ve likely set themselves up a meltdown in 2022 and then they’ve got 2024. Unlikely that Joe will be even remotely fit…so, stuck with Kamala except there does seem to be some efforts in Team Biden to burnish Jill as Joe’s successor. They might very well have shot themselves in the foot.

• Amazona June 12, 2021 / 7:03 pm

I’m not sure how they could have Jill succeed Mattressback Kammy, unless Harris is forced to retire and then Joe names Jill as her replacement, and even as tone deaf as the Dems are I can’t see that going over well.

• Retired Spook June 12, 2021 / 2:12 pm

They might very well have shot themselves in the foot.

Hopefully, a little higher up.

• Amazona June 13, 2021 / 4:04 pm

This is part of what I have been referring to when I talk about the pendulum starting to swing back.

For one thing, the Left was so blatant in its election-stealing it was an amazing exhibition of hubris. As others have commented, they may have been taken by surprise by the overwhelming Trump support and had to double down on what used to be adequate cheating and felt that they had to go into cheating overdrive, but seriously, they had to know that they were basically ringing alarms and calling attention to what they were up to. It looks like they lost control, and instead of just having one or two plans in play they had individuals winging it and ended up with so many infractions piling up even they couldn’t keep track of them. Shipping boxes of ballots from one state to another, midnight deliveries of boxes of ballots in dark parking lots, dumping thousands of pre-printed and copied ballots without even trying to get close to the right kind of paper or having people fold them so they could pass for mail-in ballots, using stupid and easily-checked excuses for “shutting down counting” and then kicking it up a notch when observers were gone, it was one rookie mistake after another, But they panicked, once they realized that paying bums to vote or mining nursing homes for ballots filled out by activists just wouldn’t give them the volume of Biden votes they needed.

But then they really blew it in their responses to requests for audits. They were brilliant in their January 6 strategy, making it impossible for weak-kneed Republicans to go along with a ten-day delay in certification, but then they kept amping up their objections to levels of shrill hysteria that kept escalating as the panic was highlighted. Every time I think they have run out of tricks to distract the public they come up with another one, to the point where I am getting nervous about how far they will go in their efforts to divert attention away from the investigations. Because nothing they are trying is working. I think the opposite is happening, as even supporters of Biden are wondering what there is to be so afraid of, if the election was legitimate.

The heroes of this rebellion against the tyranny of the Left are those working in the trenches, steadfastly continuing their research and investigations while the screeching and name-calling and smearing and efforts to intimidate explode around them.

• Retired Spook June 13, 2021 / 9:57 am

I’d forgotten the politically incorrect humor that was spawned by the Clinton presidency. Lovitz is right — it wouldn’t play today. He’s also right that the Left has lowered the speed limit on anything that doesn’t dovetail with its ideology to zero.

3. Amazona June 14, 2021 / 5:42 pm

A couple of things are starting to break out of the Leftist effort to block them. One is the increasing information not just about the origin of the Covid-19 virus but also of the reason this was either denied or simply covered up. (emphasis mine)

[T]he more months pass without the natural emergence theory gaining a shred of supporting evidence, the less plausible it may seem. Perhaps the international community of virologists will come to be seen as a false and self-interested guide. The common sense perception that a pandemic breaking out in Wuhan might have something to do with a Wuhan lab cooking up novel viruses of maximal danger in unsafe conditions could eventually displace the ideological insistence that whatever Trump said can’t be true.

……………………………………….

“For some of the officials who were privately suspicious of the Wuhan lab, Trump’s and Navarro’s comments turned the lab-leak scenario into a fringe conspiracy theory,” the Post found, “It became nearly impossible to generate interest among health experts in a hypothesis that Trump had turned into a political weapon, they said.”

That is an extraordinarily damning admission. Health experts who understood all along that it was entirely possible that the virus emerged from a lab simply refused to examine the hypothesis because it had become associated with the likes of Donald Trump.

Katherine Eban, writing in Vanity Fair, has written a lengthy exposé drawing out the failure in detail. One State Department official wrote that his team was warned not to investigate the origins of the pandemic because it would “open a can of worms.” Miles Yu, the State Department’s principal China strategist, tells Eban, “Anyone who dares speak out would be ostracized.” After former CDC head Robert Redfield said he believed the virus originated in a lab, he tells Eban “I was threatened and ostracized because I proposed another hypothesis.”

……………………………………….

Another, related, fact that is starting to gain acceptance and attention is that an untold number of people, probably in the tens of thousands at the very least, died unnecessarily for similar wholly political reasons. That is, that people were denied life-saving drug therapies simply because Trump had supported them.

Some governors banned the prescription of hydroxychloroquine. Some pharmacies refused to honor prescriptions for the drug. Agenda Media outlets had headlines screaming that HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE WILL KILL YOU! Rather than administer drugs known to fight inflammation, which was the true underlying killer of Covid-19, people were told they would die if they took them—so they died anyway.

Former Trump adviser Peter Navarro has strong words for Dr. Anthony Fauci and far-left network CNN for dismissing the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine against COVID-19, after a new study found that treatments of the malaria drug combined with zinc more than doubled the survival rate of coronavirus patients on ventilators.

Navarro says Fauci and CNN have blood on their hands.

What are the details?

“I had 60 million tablets of HCQ that Tony Fauci and @cc wouldn’t allow the American public to use because of their Hydroxy Hysteria,” Navarro tweeted on Thursday. “Blood on @JohnBerman @cnn and Saint Fauci’s hands. More than 50,000 Americans would be alive today.”

The economist shared a link to an article by The Daily Mail, titled, “Was Trump right about hydroxychloroquine all along? New study shows drug touted by former president can increase COVID survival rates by 200%.”