Alexander Cockburn, RIP

From Counter Punch:

Our friend and comrade Alexander Cockburn died last night in Germany, after a fierce two-year long battle against cancer. His daughter Daisy was at his bedside.

Over the years, from time to time, I’ve read Mr. Cockburn’s articles and no doubt out it, he was always a far-out, leftist extremist of the most commie type.  But I have to say that I always admired his grit and determination – as well as his style of writing.  He was, naturally, quite harsh in his condemnations of conservatives, but as a good radical leftist he also had plenty of fire for the hypocrisies of the liberals – from October 28th, 2004:

…Just as Kerry consistently disdained his eager and all-forgiving left supporters before November 2, he’ll redouble his public and private displays of rejection thereafter, contemptuously wiping Michael Moore’s moist kisses from all his cheeks. The constituencies President Kerry will be eager to placate and to satisfy will be exactly the ones he has courted the whole of this election year: the Neocons in Washington, and the bankers in Wall St…

A voice of extreme dissent is stilled and I’m sorry to hear about that.

6 thoughts on “Alexander Cockburn, RIP

1. bagni July 22, 2012 / 8:54 am

mark
    counterpunch is on my fave places list
    along with lew rockwell, b4v and many others
    and we’ll agree on this one
    because cockburn had plenty of independence
    and was never afraid to tell it like it is
    both on the right and the left
    he’ll be missed…..

• neocon1 July 22, 2012 / 11:53 am

he was always a far-out, leftist extremist of the most commie type.

AMF to the POS, may he rot in Hell with the rest of the Murderers.

• neocon1 July 22, 2012 / 12:52 pm

Joe Paterno statue taken down

bought by gay bar in DC

• Mark Edward Noonan July 22, 2012 / 10:52 pm

Neocon,

Where Mr. Cockburn is now cannot be known by us – but you are being unfair to him. He certainly was a commie – but he wasn’t one of those limp-wristed, Obama/Pelosi/Reid type commies who would never just get out there and first say what he wanted and then never retreat from it. With Cockburn, you always knew were he stood. I never knew the man, of course, but I’m confident that if I’d ever have met him I’d have gotten along with him. Keep in mind that among civilized people strong differences are ok – they are the starting point, as Chesterton pointed out, of a good, quarrelsome, manly friendship.

• Mark Edward Noonan July 22, 2012 / 10:53 pm

He certainly was unafraid – naturally, I think him wrong on just about everything (though his attacks on big banks are worthy of respect), but whenever I read him I always got the sense of a man who wanted justice…that he was mistaken in how to bring it about doesn’t detract from what he wanted.

• neocon1 July 23, 2012 / 7:23 am

Mark

to me that would be like saying the man is a diehard NAZI , worshiped hitler, and hated Jews but was a good guy who I could have liked.

Im sorry but communism is a murderous evil system that killed in excess of 300,000,000.00 people in the 20th century.
        I have witnessed first hand the ruthlessness and Barbary of those practitioners. Someone who is a lifelong supporter of a system that has to surround it’s citizens with barbed wire, mine fields and machine guns to keep them IN has no place in a modern society.
        I can only read the scriptures and make a judgement on where he is according to Gods word.
        IF he died with out repenting and seeking forgiveness then will be attending the suffering with ole joe, mao, adolph.